Page 239 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1391892292352362372382392402412422432492893397391239 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 75153
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I've only experienced that with white people and older men.

Everyone else has to live with their opinions and ideologies getting challenged on the day to day.

The white fragility and male insecurity culture in the US and most of the west needs to be rooted out and challenged.

And hopefully some acceptance and understanding comes from it. Then we can move on.
    i agree. it boggles my mind seeing the great lengths folks go to protect their whiteness.

in my opinion if you are white then a part of you is racist, maybe unconsciously, but it's there because you are on the favorable side of a system that has oppressed people of color for centuries. hollywood and media and advertising constantly pushing the white image. whiteness is everywhere. i as a white person grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood but even still i have no excuse, i have to look for the capabilities of racism within myself so i can purge it. what helps me is i know deep down that racism is vile, evil, wrong. i believe wholeheartedly that we are all equal and with that all cultures and ethnicities should be respected and they should have a voice. i also believe the police are inherently racist and oppressive, since their inception in the US.
    the trick is to unlearn the norms of society that have made white people so complacent

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I've only experienced that with white people and older men.

Everyone else has to live with their opinions and ideologies getting challenged on the day to day.

The white fragility and male insecurity culture in the US and most of the west needs to be rooted out and challenged.

And hopefully some acceptance and understanding comes from it. Then we can move on.
    To be honest I’ve never met anyone who was terrified of their opinions being challenged.

But I have.. of course..met a load of people very set in their ways..of all ages, sexes, colours, creeds.

I am honestly baffled at your notion that tendency is only seen in old white men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    To be honest I’ve never met anyone who was terrified of their opinions being challenged.

But I have.. of course..met a load of people very set in their ways..of all ages, sexes, colours, creeds.

I am honestly baffled at your notion that tendency is only seen in old white men.
    you're baffled by his personal experience simply because yours is different?

let's not act like old white men aren't mostly responsible for that type of behavior.

and set in their ways/terrified of differing opinions go hand in hand most of the time, especially in this case. folks are terrified of being called racist, of the police being called racist, of them being dismantled. they as white people have their belief system to make them comfortable with the world, they don't want to own up to racial crimes or speak on racial issues because they don't want to be held responsible. but this very notion is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    you're baffled by his personal experience simply because yours is different?

let's not act like old white men aren't mostly responsible for that type of behavior.

and set in their ways/terrified of differing opinions go hand in hand most of the time, especially in this case. folks are terrified of being called racist, of the police being called racist, of them being dismantled. they as white people have their belief system to make them comfortable with the world, they don't want to own up to racial crimes or speak on racial issues because they don't want to be held responsible. but this very notion is racist.
    Yes. Very puzzled..because it’s totally outside my experience that anyone is terrified of having their opinion challenged.

I’m not. I doubt that you are. I doubt any contributor to this board is. And I think that’s the norm.

Let”s put it to the test.

Okay gals and guys: Anybody personally terrified of having their opinion challenged?
    Last edited by JackDaw; 06-09-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Intermediary

Yes. Very puzzled..because it’s totally outside my experience that anyone is terrified of having their opinion challenged.

I’m not. I doubt that you are. I doubt any contributor to this board is. And I think that’s the norm.

Okay gals and guys: Anybody terrified of having their opinion challenged?
    Im black, if I get stubborn I get labeled an angry black man

I live in Connecticut, old white people here are the absolute worst - especially in the rural counties

a small farm town had a BLM demonstration that was entirely peaceful and the lone disturbances were old white people screaming about "Go Back To Africa"

BANNED

Okay gals and guys: Anybody personally terrified of having their opinion challenged?
    You’re acting like I said everyone. I just said people. It’s true in many senses, at least in my experience. Why does that statement bother you so much? So what if you’ve never felt that way? Doesn’t negate my point or yours in any way

Intermediary

the head of the NY Police Union (an older white man) just threw a temper tantrum for the nation to see because chokeholds are going to be banned

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    the head of the NY Police Union (an older white man) just threw a temper tantrum for the nation to see because chokeholds are going to be banned
    You got a link? That’s hilarious. Love seeing cops hot & bothered by ethical responses. NY is long overdue for that too

Intermediary

You got a link? That’s hilarious. Love seeing cops hot & bothered by ethical responses. NY is long overdue for that too
    its on Twitter, but here's a snippet of it

https://twitter.com/AugustTakala/sta...912272384?s=20

This drone footage shows a long line of voters waiting to cast ballots in Atlanta on Tuesday. Georgia election officials, poll workers and voters have reported major trouble with voting in Atlanta and elsewhere.
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

BANNED

its on Twitter, but here's a snippet of it

https://twitter.com/AugustTakala/sta...912272384?s=20
    Look at all that whiteness.

this is like a fraternity video

Intermediary

Look at all that whiteness.

this is like a fraternity video
    more like a fragility video

I said white and/or male have been the largest groups of people I've personally experienced being terrified. Sometimes it's the double whammy. Everyone I have personally dealt with that was not white and/or older male was uncomfortable at worst but not terrified. I pretty much exclusively have only seen the scared and terrified among white people (men and women) and older men (all races).

We have a whole chamber of the US legislative branch (Senate) that demonstrates this en masse. Most white people don't want to deal with issues of race and shy away or flat out ignore it. Most older men are terrified when a women challenges them and go out of their way to undermine and/or minimize them. And older white males tend to hate it when a POC or a women is loud and immediately see it as a threat and attach all the minimizing labels (bossy, stubborn, angry, etc.). It's sad and annoying.

US culture is dominated by white fragility and male insecurities as is a lot of the west.

That's been my personal experience.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-09-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

I can understand his frustration though. In my 20s I wasn't the safest driver so I got pulled over a lot and I didn't have a negative encounter. I think there are far more good cops than bad cops but the latter are the ones that are receive press.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I can understand his frustration though. In my 20s I wasn't the safest driver so I got pulled over a lot and I didn't have a negative encounter. I think there are far more good cops than bad cops but the latter are the ones that are receive press.
    youre wrong

ridiculously wrong

in the week plus of protests, over 300+ recorded incidents of unprovoked attacks by police on peaceful protestors, legal observers, medical personnel, people on their own property