Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's going to be a bloodbath, but I am heartened to see 58% supporting more money for climate change and social programs than infrastructure.
    Too bad many of them don't seem to understand that once Biden is gone and Republicans retake Congress, all of this will be undercut.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im not sure what the answer is. There is just so much craziness. I am very happy about the Infrastructure Bill there is a lot needed. but a lot of it is long term things like fixing roads and bridges and 5G. Those are needed things. But most Americans care about what is happening right now. I am spending a lot more in grocery bills right now. Along with my dad meds and our monthly bills it is pretty tight. ive cut back on a lot of things and I dont have kids to worry about like some people do.

And depending on how the Rittenhouse trial goes there is another huge issue. If the guy gets off then there will be the minority voters who will have the mind of "You promised us some change and yet not voter protections, no police reform and Rittenhouse got off." And if Rittenhouse gets off I am sure people will not take that sitting down. Officials are so worried about it they have the Guard on stand by. So the GOP can say in 2022 "Well prices rose like crazy and you got less while Biden let our cites burn."

And Hell if Rittenhouse does get off how big of a GOP fundraising campaign machine does that make him? The man who stood up against Chaos and the Woke culture. The man who stood up for our values and way of life. man the White Supremists wont be able to get toe the voting booth fast enough to vote for the guy that has Rittenhouse in his ads and the GOP will milk that cow till it is dry.

I hate feeling this down about the future but I am really worried about it. But other then voting I dont know what else I can do? Everyone said 2021 was going to be so much better. But I aint seeing it.
    I have shifted much of the beef I used to eat to pork, and am always on the lookout for meat going on sale - I am fortunate enough to have a chest freezer and a vacuum sealer.

One of the issues driving things is the distribution shortfall - not just at ports but truck drivers once things are in ports. Which is exacerbated by truck drivers waiting days to get stuff from said ports. My job is shifting acrylic production (we don't make the acrylic, but laminate it onto an ABS plastic backing) from my facility in Nevada to one in Georgia to serve a customer based in Tennessee - currently the plant I work at is the only one in the country (or so I am told) that is laminating acrylic for anyone - and cutting the 3 to 3 1/2 day drive each way to one day saves 4 or 5 days the delivery driver can run other routes. So whenever you see those acrylic hot tubs in Lowe's (or other stores) my company probably had a hand in that.

The biggest driver of inflation right now is the distribution bottleneck - although with meat we have another driver: Climate Change. The higher temperatures in cattle country have caused more of the herd to die off than is typical, creating a shortage there. It takes time to bring that back up, as you can either get more livestock or process it meat, but you can't do both at the same time very easily. Lamb is becoming a little more common (sheep are hardier animals and can survive more easily) but can't make up for the shortfall easily or quickly.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In an ABC/ Washington Post poll, Republicans are preferred to Democrats in congressional races 51 percent to 41 percent. This is the biggest gap recorded in 40 years.

Biden's approval rating is taking a hit. 39% approve of his handling on the economy, compared to 55 percent disapproval (these are much worse numbers than Trump ever had.) His overall approval rating hit a new low of 41%, with 53% disapproval.

The numbers are worse in key swing states where there will be Senate elections (two Democratic Senators running for a full-term elected in 2020, two Democratic Senators running for reelection, one Republican running for reelection, two open seats currently held by Republicans, and one state where a Republican Senator hasn't officially announced his plans.)

One bright spot is that some of Biden's policies are popular.

There is always the possibility that facts on the ground change, especially when heading out of the biggest pandemic in a century. But this does show that Democrats will have to work hard to keep what they currently have.
    See, this is what I don't get. Who are the people who approve of Biden's initiatives, but don't approve of Biden? That's like an employer saying to an employee, "Look, we love everything you're doing, but we're going to fire you anyway and replace you with someone who will sit around and do nothing while we pay him your salary."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Thanks for the insight, Gray.
    My company is in property management and there's a long delay with some important components for some HVAC/PTAC systems and our contractors are getting concerned with winter coming. So we've started ordering extra parts to have on hand should heating systems break but the cost of them are increasing fairly rapidly. Hopefully the bottlenecking eases up at some point in the near future. Good luck with your business.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Texas consumers will surely enjoy the opportunity to pay for the costs of Winter Storm Uri

Oh, Texas: a state where you can freeze in your own home and pay for the privilege of doing so.

Those of us who lived through Winter Storm Uri have hardly forgotten the experience, of course. But we’ll have a little reminder of it on our gas bills. Every month. For the next decade. At least.
    And should we face a similar winter weather disaster soon, as we may, well, that’s all right — any costs incurred then can simply be added to the tab, too.
    “I’m not one of these people who thinks the oil and gas industry is evil or something like that, but they need a clear, strong regulatory signal of what they need to do,” said Lewin. “They are for-profit businesses. If they don’t have a clear regulatory signal, they will follow price signals — and the price signal tells them these kind of events are great for the bottom line.”

“What industry doesn’t like making 11 billion in one week?” he added.

Executives themselves seem content with the current regime. In June, for example, oilman Kelcy Warren donated $1 million to Gov. Greg Abbott’s reelection campaign. His company, Energy Transfer Partners, had its best quarter ever during the storm, raking in an additional $2.4 billion as a result.
    There should be no one that is happy with this mess the Texas state government has done to our power grid. Can't keep the AC on in the summer, and in the winter people froze in the storm. Billions in profit for the energy companies and we get to PAY THEM more on our bills for this.

On top of Abbots many failures and the deaths from his handling of Covid we get this bs. Yet there will still be those that vote GOP. He should have NO SHOT at re election with the horrific job he has done. Wasted more time trying to spread election misinformation and trying to sue other states for their elections than making these energy companies fix their shit and not have us pay for it.

Thanks gray. That is some good input from someone who is dealing with the issues. The supply issue is pretty bad it is on the news every day. I am hoping that it gets fixed soon but the estimates for how long it will take change so often I dont think anyone knows. But if it is still an issue a couple months from now and the prices are still high Yep Biden and the Dems will take a hut for that because it will be seen as happening on their watch.

Sadly Americans want instant results. They were promised sooo much and a lot has not happened because A it does take time B the GOP stalling things on voter protections and police reform And C just how long it takes to pass a bill even when things are going right.

But there is a lot of talk and not just on Fox news but I am hearing it on CNN and MSNBC CBS all of them about how on Biden's watch Afghanistan withdraw was a mess, supply issues that are raising prices, no police reform, no voter protections. I get no al of this is on Biden. but if the Dems are hearing stuff like this even on the Networks that back them like CNN then it is going to sway some people.

To be fair I dont know what Biden can do to fix a lot of this and as I said it is not all on him. But the appearance that it is happening on his watch is a bad look for Biden and the Dems and they dont seem in a hurry to explain how it is not all on them while the GOP is yelling to anyone and everyone how it very much is. And if Rittenhouse goes south then things are going to be a lot worse.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-14-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Rittenhouse was in the wrong state with an illegal weapon.

Given that, can someone please tell me how self defense applies?

You don't get to follow a robber into someone's house, shoot them, and then claim self defense.
    Does someone lose the right to self-defense after they step out the front door?

If not, self-defense obviously applies.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

We will never have peace until we deal with fear in this country. Fear is at the core of a lot of things going wrong right now.

Fear of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    See, this is what I don't get. Who are the people who approve of Biden's initiatives, but don't approve of Biden? That's like an employer saying to an employee, "Look, we love everything you're doing, but we're going to fire you anyway and replace you with someone who will sit around and do nothing while we pay him your salary."
    Easy...

Folks who support the ideas, but think that the execution was hot garbage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

The biggest deal with him is it all appears as if he went HUNTING for people to assert his authority over. Like hes the Punisher or something. He wanted trouble, he went across state lines loaded up with weaponry for that reason. And people died because of it.

Now he may very well get off on his self defense claim. But, the 'victims' and the communities they come from even though they werent allowed to be named victims in court will have a right to feel aggrieved. I really hope we dont get riots and violence. But, this trial is not inspiring confidence at all. And we have the right wing celebrating his actions and will be ready to champion him and hold him up. whew

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Easy...

Folks who support the ideas, but think that the execution was hot garbage.
    There’s also a small but significant percentage of people for whom tribalism kicks in once the actual politicians get involved, while they ostensibly have different policy desires.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Rittenhouse was in the wrong state with an illegal weapon.

Given that, can someone please tell me how self defense applies?

You don't get to follow a robber into someone's house, shoot them, and then claim self defense.
    The thing is even though he was in a state he didnt live in he was in a public street in an area he as a citizen had the right to be in. A witness admitted to pointing a gun at him. Yes the gun Rittenhouse had was something he did not have a legal right to have and I am sure he will be found guilty on that.

But The defense is doing a fair job of painting Rittenhouse as the victim here because the DA is not doing a very good job and some gifts from the judge to the defense.

Not defending what Rittenhouse did. i think he needs to be in prison for the rest of his life. He is a racist POS who went there to kill someone and he did. But his legal team can make the claim of self defense and they do have the right to do so because again Rittenhouse was on a public area where he had a right to be. He had no right to an illegal weapon and how he got that weapon needs to be looked into but sadly it wont be.

And if he gets off and their are riots like crazy people will act shocked like how and why is this going on and The GOP will of course do their The Dems and minorities hate Law and Order bit and sadly there are way too many who will listen and buy into it. And it will give any racist piece of garbage the idea they can go and kill anyone during a riot or protest and say self defense. if Rittenhouse gets off their will be more shootings of this nature I hate to say.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-14-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The biggest deal with him is it all appears as if he went HUNTING for people to assert his authority over. Like hes the Punisher or something. He wanted trouble, he went across state lines loaded up with weaponry for that reason. And people died because of it.

Now he may very well get off on his self defense claim. But, the 'victims' and the communities they come from even though they werent allowed to be named victims in court will have a right to feel aggrieved. I really hope we dont get riots and violence. But, this trial is not inspiring confidence at all. And we have the right wing celebrating his actions and will be ready to champion him and hold him up. whew
    After he shot the first person(who I personally don't feel Rittenhouse initiated the situation with...), he was running away and not firing until they finally caught up and attacked him.

To me personally, those are not the actions of someone who "Wanted..." trouble.

Someone who was dumb, and never should have been in the position that he put himself in?

Sure, but so was the guy that he shot who was carrying a pistol with an expired permit. No one is really holding him to the same standard.

Personally, I think that this is exactly what civil court is for. Addressing situations that are not technically illegal, but clearly call for someone to be held accountable.

Ultimate Member

They lose the right to self defense when committing a crime, yes.

He had no right to bear that weapon, he wasn't a member of the community and he was brandishing a weapon in public, so what makes him any different from the rioters?

They lose the right to self defense when committing a crime, yes.

He had no right to bear that weapon, he wasn't a member of the community and he was brandishing a weapon in public, so what makes him any different from the rioters?
    If that is the case?

Why wasn't this trial over in a half an hour?

Clearly, that state is allowing him to present a "Self-Defense..." defense in a situation where you believe he should not be able to.

As for the rioters...

Are any of them even being charged with anything?

If not?

How does any of that even figure in?