Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Beto O’Rourke says he’s running for Texas governor

Beto O’Rourke is running for governor, challenging Republican Greg Abbott in a clash of two of Texas’ biggest politicians.

“I’m running to serve the people of Texas, and I want to make sure that we have a governor that serves everyone, helps to bring this state together to do the really big things before us and get past the small, divisive politics and policies of Greg Abbott,” O’Rourke said in an interview with The Texas Tribune. “It is time for change.”

The former El Paso congressman, 2018 U.S. Senate nominee and 2020 presidential contender said he was running for governor to improve public schools, health care and jobs in Texas. But O’Rourke also took sharp aim at Abbott’s record, citing new laws he backed this year that ban most abortions in Texas, tighten voting rules and allow permitless carry of handguns. He also criticized Abbott over the February power grid failure that left most of the state without electricity in subfreezing temperatures and his response to the coronavirus pandemic that has recently been focused on fighting vaccine and mask mandates.
    It shouldn't be difficult to boot Abbot after his high profile and colossally bad job while in office. From the Covid mismanagement and undercutting local officials trying to follow the science and keep us all safe locally, to the gross negligence in the energy grid fiascos in winter and summer. The MAGA flag carrying suing other states for how they run their elections. Attack on women's rights to abortion. I mean the strikes on Abbot and the Texas GOP are massive. But, it will be an uphill battle all the way for Beto.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

It shouldn't be difficult to boot Abbot after his high profile and colossally bad job while in office. From the Covid mismanagement and undercutting local officials trying to follow the science and keep us all safe locally, to the gross negligence in the energy grid fiascos in winter and summer. The MAGA flag carrying suing other states for how they run their elections. Attack on women's rights to abortion. I mean the strikes on Abbot and the Texas GOP are massive. But, it will be an uphill battle all the way for Beto.
    Texas is a hard nut to crack, politically. There have been very few Democratic Governors, and the Conservatives will be fighting using every trick at their disposal to win.

If you thought the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial race was insane, I suspect that the 2022 Texas gubernatorial race will make it look almost normal by comparison.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Everything you said about how Texas was royally screwed up under Abbott is truer than true….and right wing voters are perfectly content with all that chaos, meaning there’s no way in hell they’ll vote for a Democrat, regardless of how much carnage had been caused by the GQP.

Kyle Rittenhouse Trial: Judge Dismisses Gun Charge Before Closing Arguments Begin
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/11...rge-dismissed/

"The dismissal of the gun charge against Rittenhouse leaves five counts for the jury to consider, ranging from intentional homicide to recklessly endangering safety.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys will present their closing arguments to the jury Monday. Both the defense and the prosecution will have two and a half hours for closing arguments."

Also: Patrick Leahy, longest serving US senator still in office, announces he won't seek reelection
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/polit...ent/index.html
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Everything you said about how Texas was royally screwed up under Abbott is truer than true….and right wing voters are perfectly content with all that chaos, meaning there’s no way in hell they’ll vote for a Democrat, regardless of how much carnage had been caused by the GQP.
    All fear tactics will be on the table. He will take all your guns, he will ban beef make you eat salads. He will open the border to all of South America and terrorists. Your kids schools will be teaching that all white people are bad! I mean every generic fearmongering nonsense will be tossed out and there are voters that will eat that up.

They already got rid of straight ticket voting here after 2020 When it was blamed for the GOP losses downballot from the "Beto effect" of turnout even though he lost the race the turnout was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Kyle Rittenhouse Trial: Judge Dismisses Gun Charge Before Closing Arguments Begin
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/11...rge-dismissed/

"The dismissal of the gun charge against Rittenhouse leaves five counts for the jury to consider, ranging from intentional homicide to recklessly endangering safety.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys will present their closing arguments to the jury Monday. Both the defense and the prosecution will have two and a half hours for closing arguments."

Also: Patrick Leahy, longest serving US senator still in office, announces he won't seek reelection
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/15/polit...ent/index.html
    I just heard about the weapons charge being dismissed. Looks like it has to do with a loophole in Wisconsin Law.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

All fear tactics will be on the table. He will take all your guns, he will ban beef make you eat salads. He will open the border to all of South America and terrorists. Your kids schools will be teaching that all white people are bad! I mean every generic fearmongering nonsense will be tossed out and there are voters that will eat that up.

They already got rid of straight ticket voting here after 2020 When it was blamed for the GOP losses downballot from the "Beto effect" of turnout even though he lost the race the turnout was huge.
    Fear is all the GQP has to sell to its voters because their policies only benefit the one percenters and the fat cats. Fear keeps the openly gullible and easily influenced in line as they’re too ignorant to question their leaders, and that’s just what the GQP wants.

Dont forget the old stand by. Men who wear dress call themselves trans just so they can beat girls at sports and sneak into women's bathrooms for evil purposes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Dont forget the old stand by. Men who wear dress call themselves trans just so they can beat girls at sports and sneak into women's bathrooms for evil purposes.
    Didn't Hastert who accused people of doing this end up being a pedo that used the bathroom for his rapes?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Didn't Hastert who accused people of doing this end up being a pedo that used the bathroom for his rapes?
    If I remember right he was. It was a case of make a big deal about someone else so it would take focus away from him. How many of the Q Cult that have accused the Dems of being a Pedo Club have been arrested so far on Sex crimes and such?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Never got Beto-mania, still don't. I wish Texas the best of luck, but assume it's going to be another Republican if not Abbot (and only not him if he's exploring a run for President very early).

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    As President, Trump could invite foreign dignitaries to Washington and put them up at his hotel. A clear violation of the emoluments clause, which Trump should have been impeached for from day one, but never mind that. Since he's no longer President, he can't profit so easily from that hotel, so he figures he might as well sell it. It might also be a sign that he will NOT run for President again in 2024. Note that I said, "might."
    I think he was losing a lot of money on that hotel, so he figured he might as well sell it for some quick cash.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I think he was losing a lot of money on that hotel, so he figured he might as well sell it for some quick cash.
    I could be wrong, but I think just about EVERYTHING with Trump’s name on it has lost money. Hotels, golf courses, you name it, it’s probably bleeding cash.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think just about EVERYTHING with Trump’s name on it has lost money. Hotels, golf courses, you name it, it’s probably bleeding cash.
    And then they leverage all the losses to avoid taxes and paying their bills and bankruptcy over and over.