Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I live in Portland. Don't talk to me about the 'riots'. They're usually police riots.

And no, what lead to this whole thing is definitely *not* the riots. That's placing blame on the wrong set of shoulders. What lead to this whole thing was a dumb, propagandized kid with more firepower than he needed and incredibly poor judgment and a system that caters to people just like him and wants to create even more of him.
    I can only go by what's reported and I try to read sources as local as possible as they tend to be the most reliable. Oregon Live and this site reported similar things: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/cri...b-d5a79a551306
    If they're incorrect then great, I would actually prefer that. I just don't want to see anymore people arrested, hurt, or killed.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Any and all violence, damage to property, and polarization of communities is sad. And it doesn't help when media further ignites things, like the journalist who was arrested while following the jury bus the other night. The American justice system also rightfully convicted Chauvin so all I can do is hope a jury properly does what it's supposed to do.
    Are you disappointed or relieved there were no riots after the Rittenhouse verdict?

[QUOTE=Jbenito;5823510]I can only go by what's reported and I try to read sources as local as possible as they tend to be the most reliable. Oregon Live and this site reported similar things: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/cri...b-d5a79a551306
    If they're incorrect then great, I would actually prefer that. I just don't want to see anymore people arrested, hurt, or killed.[I/QUOTE]

The press likes to make a lot of hay about the 'riots', but I assure you, the picture you get from the local press is a poor one, and most of our local press (like the Oregonian) leans more heavily conservative than the state at large. If you listen to the press, you'd think Portland is unlivable and it's just ... not how it is.

Germany (population 82 million) had the most new Coronavirus infections in the world yesterday.

We were doing fairly during the first wave, had the lowest mortality rate. Maybe that made too many idiots think they did not need to get vaccinated. Now ICUs are at capacity. Once the influenza wave starts in addition to covid, we might look at scenes like Bergamo 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The press likes to make a lot of hay about the 'riots', but I assure you, the picture you get from the local press is a poor one, and most of our local press (like the Oregonian) leans more heavily conservative than the state at large. If you listen to the press, you'd think Portland is unlivable and it's just ... not how it is.
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Are you disappointed or relieved there were no riots after the Rittenhouse verdict?
    Very relieved and happy to see the demonstrations in Brooklyn, Chicago, Boston and other cities remained peaceful while having big turnouts.

Germany (population 82 million) had the most new Coronavirus infections in the world yesterday.

We were doing fairly during the first wave, had the lowest mortality rate. Maybe that made too many idiots think they did not need to get vaccinated. Now ICUs are at capacity. Once the influenza wave starts in addition to covid, we might look at scenes like Bergamo 2020.
    Sorry to hear that’s happening in your country, we’re seeing rising cases here in the States too.
    I read that the STIKO just recommended extending the booster to all adults, which our FDA just approved as well. Hopefully that will help to some degree as it seems to be helping here in areas where booster rates are high.

Very relieved and happy to see the demonstrations in Brooklyn, Chicago, Boston and other cities remained peaceful while having big turnouts.

Sorry to hear that’s happening in your country, we’re seeing rising cases here in the States too.
    I read that the STIKO just recommended extending the booster to all adults, which our FDA just approved as well. Hopefully that will help to some degree as it seems to be helping here in areas where booster rates are high.
    The STIKO has been incredibly frustrating ... again. Even decades ago I realized that they are much more conservative at recommending certain vaccines than our European neighbors, which meant I had to pay for my hepatitis a and b shots out of pocket.

Thanksgiving is due this Thursday. Will you risk getting or spreading COVID to get dinner with relatives from other homes? Or do you plan to eat at home either alone or with those who are living in your household?

The STIKO has been incredibly frustrating ... again. Even decades ago I realized that they are much more conservative at recommending certain vaccines than our European neighbors, which meant I had to pay for my hepatitis a and b shots out of pocket.
    That really sucks that you had to pay out of pocket. Are the Moderna and Pfizer covid vaccines and boosters currently made available for free or do some people have to pay? Either way I hope things improve over there for you all soon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Thanksgiving is due this Thursday. Will you risk getting or spreading COVID to get dinner with relatives from other homes? Or do you plan to eat at home either alone or with those who are living in your household?
    No get together for our family this year, just like last year. Dinner with household members only. Safer that way.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    No get together for our family this year, just like last year. Dinner with household members only. Safer that way.
    Me, too. I am having thanksgiving dinner with household members only. Of course I mean my roommates. I am not exactly on good terms with my family so I won't be attending dinner with my extended family this year.

Just my husband and I at home. We normally fly to my parents’ home but my mother has a high-risk health condition so we’re not taking that chance, same as last year.

For me I always just have a nice dinner with my dad. My aunt goes to her kids house and it is just my dad and I watching Christmas shows and putting up the tree and eating dinner
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

[QUOTE=Tendrin;5823513]
    I can only go by what's reported and I try to read sources as local as possible as they tend to be the most reliable. Oregon Live and this site reported similar things: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/cri...b-d5a79a551306
    If they're incorrect then great, I would actually prefer that. I just don't want to see anymore people arrested, hurt, or killed.[I/QUOTE]

Well NYC gets the same treatment, for a time you would have thought every Asian was in fear for their life. Just not true. The city has a lot of problems and rabble-rousers but having gone the other direction on Defund and the real temperature dropping such sprees are unpopular. Like the BLM movement they have been largely ineffective too in having lasting impact which should suggest to people what was it all for and who did it really serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    As someone who grew up conservative I still can't wrap my head around the GoPs fetishization of the Police.

<Ahem>

Unelected government officials empowered to take your property without trial, your freedom with delayed due process, and even your life. When things go wrong, they answer to themselves. Attempts to use the judicial system are stymied by the fact that prosecuters need their cooperation to even function, and in civil cases they are protected by Qualified Immunity, a doctrine invented whole cloth by the Supreme Court in an unprecedented act of judicial activism.

Which is another reason why I dropped the Republican party years ago - I kept finding too many instances where the mantra of the party ceased to even apply. It's one thing to see failures of doctrine, quite another to see it constantly ignored whenever convenient.
    I hear you and totally agree - the whole blue line thing is a streak of State Empowerment not individuals. As we are seeing when that machinery is turned the other way in the political wind it results in just a different brand of totalitarian actions.