Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Between the video of the killing, The man on the stand admitting that Arbery never had a gun and did not threaten him, and the most blatant racist remarks from the lawyers that even had people on Fox News going WTF! The jury wasnt taking any time.
    While I am happy about this verdict, I can't help but think that if these three guys had the money coming in like Rittenhouse had, and were able to hire competent representation, that we would have gotten a much different verdict today.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

RBG showed us how well that worked out. And she didnt even have her health.

And you have 83 year old Stephen Breyer who is not stepping down while The Dems control the next nomination and confirmation so we will go through the RGB thing again in a few years.
    Well, that’s what happens when you have no age limit on SCOTUS or Congress. I seem to recall having suggested that once and was accused of ageism. Try telling someone to retire when they don’t want to, and don’t have to, chances are you might get a hearty “Fuck you!” from said individual. If memory serves, RBG hoped to live long enough to see Biden elected, heaven only knows why Breyer is sticking around, maybe he loves the prestige that comes with being a jurist on the highest court in the land and isn’t willing to give up that power.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    While I am happy about this verdict, I can't help but think that if these three guys had the money coming in like Rittenhouse had, and were able to hire competent representation, that we would have gotten a much different verdict today.
    Thinking about the similar crimes that went wrong because there was no video.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, that’s what happens when you have no age limit on SCOTUS or Congress. I seem to recall having suggested that once and was accused of ageism. Try telling someone to retire when they don’t want to, and don’t have to, chances are you might get a hearty “**** you!” from said individual. If memory serves, RBG hoped to live long enough to see Biden elected, heaven only knows why Breyer is sticking around, maybe he loves the prestige that comes with being a jurist on the highest court in the land and isn’t willing to give up that power.
    I know RBG big thing was she wanted Clinton the first woman president to choose her replacement. She did not foresee a Trump win. And her body gave out before his term ended sadly. But with all of her health isses and cancer battle she should have retired and put the country first over the vanity of having the first woman president replace her.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The thing is if they were arrested before the video caam out I am sure there would have been many who would have donated for the defense. But when that video came out a lot of people who defended them before hand started to step back. And rather then try and not paint the 3 as racists the Defense decided to stack the jury with all whites and I am sure were made when a black person slipped through. Even the judge said it was some shady crap.

I am sure the defense then thought "Well lets attack the black man to a pretty much all white jury in the state of Georiga and we can get them to steam roll a not guilty verdict past the token black jury member." And it back fired bad. And they did such a bad job even Fox stepped back and said Damn this is bad.

To Fox news defense a they had a guest that tried to talk about how the jury never went through the evidence and just rushed a verdict because of Thanksgiving being tomoorow and the host shut them down and wasnt having any part of it.

So these 3 still have their defenders.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I don't see why not. This is a thread on news and politics. So we're giving our opinions on stories that are in the news. Not really that hard to understand.
    These posts...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Are you trying to express a legal thingie?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    They're expressing a mental thingie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's a troll thingie.
    Were pretty clearly about a user and not "News..."/"Politics..."

That's someone's opinion on a user and not stories that are in the news.

While I can understand the grumble?

Probably wouldn't hurt to keep it "News..."/"Politics..."

Controversial comedian Louis C.K. has been nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album for Sincerely Louis CK, the 2020 special in which he joked about his sexual misconduct.

Sincerely Louis CK marked his first such special since being accused of sexual misconduct by five women in 2017. He later admitted that his accusers were being honest, saying, “These stories are true.”

For his return special, C.K. dove straight into the allegations. “I learned a lot [from the experience],” he said. “I learned how to eat alone in a restaurant with people giving me the finger from across the room.”
    https://consequence.net/2021/11/loui...-comedy-album/

This is why I don't take any bloviating about cancel culture seriously, least of all about the 'silencing' of comedians.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

I dont know much about German Politics. is a 16 year old voting age something that people really are going for?

I am really happy about the Removal of the law that required Trans people to to go through therapy.

Making Higher Education more available is always a good thing
    16-18 year olds will be much more affected by policies about climate change etc than the 96-98 year olds. The movement for a younger voting age is mostly based on that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I hope Scholz can keep moving Germany forward.
    It's like... most of us liked Merkel, and we may have been in denial a bit how much her conservative party was holding back real progress in our society.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I know RBG big thing was she wanted Clinton the first woman president to choose her replacement. She did not foresee a Trump win. And her body gave out before his term ended sadly. But with all of her health isses and cancer battle she should have retired and put the country first over the vanity of having the first woman president replace her.
    That's the thing, RBG probably thought she was putting the country first by staying as long as she could. Let's be honest, even while Democrats controlled the House and Senate during Obama's term, there was no guarantee he could've gotten a liberal to replace her, not while Republicans would've moved heaven and earth to stonewall the pick (i.e. Mitch McConnell blocking Merrick Garland's nomination) until he left office. That might've played a big part in her reason to stay, now, did RBG ultimately screw the pooch by staying? Yes, but, again, without set age limits, you couldn't tell her to leave when she clearly didn't want want to. While I'm at, I suspect Democrats from Obama on down were scared to death of asking her to step down and never broached the subject because they knew they'd catch hell for trying to force out perhaps THE most renowned and popular Justice in a generation or more. Stupid thinking? Absolutely, but that's what I think happened.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    The SPD, Greens and FDP have agreed on a coalition treaty, which is kind of blueprint of their plans for Germany for the next 4 years.

I am pleasantly surprised how much in it I like.

Some highlights are:
    • Exploring lowering the federal voting age to 16.
    • Improving access to abortion by eliminating a law banning doctor's offices "advertising" abortion services (i. e. offering any kind of information on it).
    • Many improvements to allowing access to higher education to poorer kids (higher monthly payments, higher income threshold of their parents, smaller percentage of it to be paid back later, more flexibility in changing your majors without losing the benefit).
    • Removal of a law that required trans people to have therapy before seeking gender reassignment surgery and change in legal status.
    • Getting out of coal 8 years earlier than the last government's plan, investing more into rail and less into roads and other climate initiatives.
    I read they also want to legalize pot?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That's the thing, RBG probably thought she was putting the country first by staying as long as she could. Let's be honest, even while Democrats controlled the House and Senate during Obama's term, there was no guarantee he could've gotten a liberal to replace her, not while Republicans would've moved heaven and earth to stonewall the pick (i.e. Mitch McConnell blocking Merrick Garland's nomination) until he left office. That might've played a big part in her reason to stay, now, did RBG ultimately screw the pooch by staying? Yes, but, again, without set age limits, you couldn't tell her to leave when she clearly didn't want want to. While I'm at, I suspect Democrats from Obama on down were scared to death of asking her to step down and never broached the subject because they knew they'd catch hell for trying to force out perhaps THE most renowned and popular Justice in a generation or more. Stupid thinking? Absolutely, but that's what I think happened.
    It also was, "don't politicize the court".

It would have been hypocritical of her to push against that her whole career, then bail on it because the GOP don't play by the same rules.

However, it's the choice liberals are left with at this point, to have the moral satisfaction of being better ethically than your opponents, but you can feel good about that while they get another step closer to authoritarian dominion.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I read they also want to legalize pot?
    Oh yeah, that, too. Doesn't affect me much.

I just hope they do it better than in the Netherlands, where they decriminalized consumption in the coffee shops, but forced the people running those shops to buy their product from criminals, as growing and selling it remained illegal. That led to a huge increase in organized crime.

She didn’t foresee a Trump win but Rubio or Jeb would’ve picked similar justices and it should’ve been clear in 2014 that it would be possible for a Republican to win the White House.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It also was, "don't politicize the court".

It would have been hypocritical of her to push against that her whole career, then bail on it because the GOP don't play by the same rules.

However, it's the choice liberals are left with at this point, to have the moral satisfaction of being better ethically than your opponents, but you can feel good about that while they get another step closer to authoritarian dominion.
    With Bryer right now the situation is different. He KNOWS what the cost would be if he doesnt retire imminently. He has himself acknowledged it and said he would be lying if he didnt say he wanted someone with similar values to replace him. That means quite clearly he better step down before midterms where it is HIGHLY likely the Democrats will not be in charge.
    Holding out past that he will open himself up to the very real possibility of Mitch McConnel stonewalling till he can get yet another justice.

No one can take away the good they have done RGB and Bryer. But, seeing the state of the country and how rights of people seem to be backsliding and even defending what we thought were basic rights are in jeopardy its bordering on selfishness not to strategically bow out.