Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    A few days ago, I posted a profile of Congressional candidate Lavern Spicer, running in FL-24, for her Qanon conspiracy theory nonsense and general stupidity.

Saddle up, Lavern's on Twitter trying to get to the bottom of the CDC using the Greek Alphabet to label variants:

Yes, clearly the Greeks set up this Covid-19 thing back in the days of Alexander the Great when choosing what to name their letters. Also, watch out, because you can also make Delta Omicron into "CLARINET DOOM".
    It’s a damn shame when black folks act like total loons just so they can stay on the GQP plantation.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Former war hero, Senate majority leader and Republican nominee for Vice President and President, Bob Dole has passed away at the age of 98.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ies-98-n953981
    I don't agree with most of Bob Dole's political views but I respect his service to the country. He was a patriot. He respected veterans regardless of their political affiliation.

Bob Dole paid a wonderful tribute to the democratic Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/voi...e-tribute.html

Here Sen. Dole shares his tribute to another man of remarkable courage with whom he formed an unbreakable bond — a fellow soldier, a longtime Senate colleague from a different party and a dear friend — Sen. Daniel Inouye of Hawaii. Even though Sen. Inouye passed away six years ago, the memories of their friendship remain strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Chris Cuomo wanted to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest. He was fine with it as long as viewers (and his bosses) didn't know.

I have read this article and learned some interesting things from it.

https://***************.com/how-dual...and-cnn-173057

CNN justified its exception to a conflict of interest rule imposed since 2013 prohibiting the anchor Chris Cuomo from covering his brother,

CNN has acknowledged that Chris Cuomo “broke our rules.” But the rules aren’t posted on CNN’s website. In fact, CNN has fought to keep them secret.

Conflicts of interest violate that covenant and undermine public confidence in media independence. Some conflicts of interest are such a problem that no amount of disclosure or disclaimers can cure them. CNN has apparently concluded that Chris Cuomo’s is one of them.

There is talk on Twitter about this Trump interview on Fox. Mainly that he keeps implicating himself over and over again. That one classic comment he made about shooting someone? It's true, he keeps shooting himself over and over and I wonder if anyone is taking notice of it?

Trump: Don’t forget, I fired Comey. Had I not fired Comey, you might not be talking to me right now about a beautiful book about four years in the White House and we’ll see about the future.
    Trump: If I didn’t fire Comey, they were looking to take down the President of the United States… I don’t think could’ve survived if I didn’t fire him
    So Trump admits that Comey was a threat and would likely have taken him down if he wasn't fired first.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I have read this article and learned some interesting things from it.

https://***************.com/how-dual...and-cnn-173057
    The Cuomo story is trying to made it sound as if it is ONLY about the brother and resources when Chris himself has become a toxic entity with more sexual accusations coming forward, difficultly with his producers, his Covid story....

The problem for CNN has simply been to have an Opinionator/entertainer of any equal fill his slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There is talk on Twitter about this Trump interview on Fox. Mainly that he keeps implicating himself over and over again. That one classic comment he made about shooting someone? It's true, he keeps shooting himself over and over and I wonder if anyone is taking notice of it?

So Trump admits that Comey was a threat and would likely have taken him down if he wasn't fired first.
    There is a difference between a political hitman and someone seeking the truth, especially in the eyes of the Trump base, so it will only be fodder for those that believe the worst of Trump to begin with. In other words the people gobbling up the BS Showtime is dumping on screens.

It's pretty easy to believe the worst of trump when he continually tells us that it's true, directly.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Oh no, not staunch liberal Bill Maher!
    Which is why I pointed out that it's about the money for him. If his bottom line is harmed by restrictions then of course he's going to complain about it, health be damned.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's pretty easy to believe the worst of trump when he continually tells us that it's true, directly.
    IMO Trump has lost the ability to separate troth from fiction and the ability to use the same .common sense and rational thought to know when to say what. He talks to reporters like he is confiding in an old friend, he puts out 'official' letters as if he is writing a note to himself or thinking out-loud, he has always talked to his base as if he was a stand up comic practicing his routine in font of a small audience in a comic club. There is no clear idea if he believes what he says, says what he believes, or just rattles off the first thing that comes to mind like a child that is too young to know better.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Biden considers sanctions against Putin's inner circle ahead of this week's key call
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/06/polit...ons/index.html

US officials are currently weighing a wide set of sanctions on Russia meant to deter Russian President Vladimir Putin from launching an invasion into Ukraine, according to people familiar with the discussions.
    They include new actions against members of Putin's inner circle and on Russian energy producers.
    The officials said final decisions hadn't been made on whether and when to apply the new sanctions, and said the Biden administration is currently in talks with European partners — many of whom have closer economic relationships to Russia — in the hopes of coordinating action.
    With Russia amassing troops at the Ukraine border again, I hope Biden's call with Putin tomorrow brings about some promising results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    IMO Trump has lost the ability to separate troth from fiction and the ability to use the same .common sense and rational thought to know when to say what. He talks to reporters like he is confiding in an old friend, he puts out 'official' letters as if he is writing a note to himself or thinking out-loud, he has always talked to his base as if he was a stand up comic practicing his routine in font of a small audience in a comic club. There is no clear idea if he believes what he says, says what he believes, or just rattles off the first thing that comes to mind like a child that is too young to know better.
    Meanwhile the country is in the **** having been SAVED from him. gotit

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Biden considers sanctions against Putin's inner circle ahead of this week's key call
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/06/polit...ons/index.html

With Russia amassing troops at the Ukraine border again, I hope Biden's call with Putin tomorrow brings about some promising results.
    I am seeing no upside for Putin NOT to swarm Ukraine, Biden is a paper tiger and he is not going to block it joining NATO in any kind of deal. Putin's real audience is Europe and energy sales. If Russia pulls it off then the other shoe could drop and Taiwan could tumble having given China the example of US resolve.

Astonishing Member

Reuniting Families Separated Under Trump Is Expensive. Should the U.S. Government Pay?

Republican pundits and lawmakers have made political hay over news reports indicating that the federal government is engaged in negotiations involving a $450,000 per person payout to those victimized by former President Trump’s family separation policy.

President Biden has said directly that he would not support a payout that high. But the story—and the near-half-million figure—has nonetheless captured the imagination of right wing media, conservative think tanks and Republican lawmakers. On Dec. 2, top GOP Senators, including Sen. Mitch McConnell, introduced legislation to block settlement payments to separated families who “unlawfully entered the United States.” The politics are consequential: Biden’s ambivalent stance on immigration has become an acute vulnerability before a midterm year.

But while lawmakers play politics, hundreds of migrant parents are struggling with the fallout of family separation, years later. Many parents who were deported under Trump without their children are only returning to the U.S. to reunite with them now. Of the roughly 5,500 families separated by U.S. officials under the Trump Administration, some 1,000 were deported while their children remained behind, in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention centers, shelters, or with sponsoring family members. Bringing those parents back to the U.S. is a costly affair—and someone has to pay for it. So far, nonprofits and immigrants themselves, many of whom are deeply impoverished, have shouldered the financial burden of trying to see their mothers, fathers, sons and daughters again.
    From a humanitarian and moral standpoint all of us are responsible for the mess Trump's policies made. And their inept implementation that made reunification so difficult and expensive in the first place. They implemented the policy as we all know with no plan other than to be vindictive and use it as a deterrent. No regard to how these children would be reunited let alone the costs later.

I would think we have to provide the basics for what it takes to get them back together, they already suffered enough and it is on us for who we elected.

It will obviously be right wing media fodder "giving money to illegals!". Without the obvious context we took their children for months, years and shipped these people home with no plans.

I'm currently more concerned about what's going on at the border at the moment with people, including children, sleeping under the Del Rio International Bridge.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/us/te...dge/index.html

Thousands of migrants -- including families, pregnant women and babies -- were crowded in the makeshift camp under the Del Rio International Bridge on Friday. They sleep in the dirt, surrounded by growing piles of garbage, exposed to the elements and without much food and water in hopes of being processed by the overwhelmed US Border Patrol.

The number of migrants -- many of them Haitian -- assembled in the temporary site has swelled from roughly 400 one week ago to around 13,990 on Friday in a mounting immigration crisis for the Biden administration.
    The situation has only worsened since this article was written so I think finding a way to handle this first is paramount.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm currently more concerned about what's going on at the border at the moment with people, including children, sleeping under the Del Rio International Bridge.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/us/te...dge/index.html

The situation has only worsened since this article was written so I think finding a way to handle this first is paramount.
    Sure at a high level we need to get to the root causes of the economic hardships these people are facing that keeps them coming. Everything else is just papering over the cracks. What policy changes in Central and South America need to happen to help change the situations these people are fleeing from? That's obviously a tough question that no one has found an answer for. But, we can't keep ignoring that obvious point of treating the root causes.

We can have every Remain in Mexico, close border, wall etc we want. But, it will keep coming up cycle after cycle. People will always risk the journey, risk the hardships(sleeping under a bridge etc.) for a chance at a better life than what they are escaping from.