Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    McConnell is a psychopath and regret isn’t something they typically suffer from. I’m sure he much preferred Trump over Clinton. I believe they made a deal early on that Mitch would defend Donald from consequences as long as Trump didn’t interfere with McConnells projects. There was some occasional fake criticism of each other just to keep up appearances, but no actual political conflict throughout Trumps term and McConnell defended him from impeachment twice.
    The only time I saw McConnell ever regret anything was in the wee hours of January 6th as it became January 7th and he was near crying on the Senate floor.

This would be right after the Republican coup attempt failed, and he feared consequences for his party... before he returned to lockstep trying to obstruct a bipartisan investigation of his party's coup attempt.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To answer the former question: No. Having Trump in the Oval Office helped McConnell stack the courts with right wingers which was his ultimate goal.
    To answer the latter question: Yeah, I think he would. There wouldn't have been a fraction as much chaos with Hillary as president while he went about his judicial skullduggery.
    But he would need a Republican president to appoint conservative justices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In theory, sure.

But I can't see the idiots who voted for Trump ever going democrat, or remain silent.

So the GOP is scared of running off fools who have no where else to go.
    They could stay home, and that would be bad for the GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He never would in a million years.

A half million dead is a small price to pay for warping the court as he did, as far as he's concerned.
    Would he believe there would be half a million less casualties from Covid if Hillary Clinton were elected president in 2016?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But he would need a Republican president to appoint conservative justices.

?
    Some U.S. presidents appointed judges from an opposing party on the bench of the Supreme Court. For example, a Republican President named Taft appointed three Democrats to the Supreme Court. Three out of six Taft-appointed Supreme Court justices were Democrats from the Deep South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Harmon_Lurton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Douglass_White

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Rucker_Lamar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...am_Howard_Taft
    Last edited by Zauriel; 12-18-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, he got his massive tax cut/give away to the Rich, and his undemocratic shenanigans to get anti-abortion fanatics on the Supreme Court worked. I would say he is quite pleased with himself. I would also say he doesn't care a fig about the COVID response or Jan, 6 coup attempt.
    I think the actual goal of packing the court with conservatives was to fix any future close-call Presidential elections. The possibility of overturning Roe v Wade is just a bonus. Throwing the Evangelicals a bone to keep them engaged and voting is just good business practice.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The only time I saw McConnell ever regret anything was in the wee hours of January 6th as it became January 7th and he was near crying on the Senate floor.

This would be right after the Republican coup attempt failed, and he feared consequences for his party... before he returned to lockstep trying to obstruct a bipartisan investigation of his party's coup attempt.
    But not regretful enough to support impeachment. I can see how he’d be upset about being left out of the loop on the coup attempt, but he wasn’t upset enough to do more than say mean things. The GOP went right back to business as usual and Kevin McCarthy flew to Mar-a-Largo to personally apologize for any upsetting things said in the heat of the moment. That second impeachment was their chance to free themselves from Trumps crazy and they decided to embrace it instead. Like when Von Hindenburg decided to make Hitler Chancellor after the Beer Hall Putsch.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Ladies and gentlemen your dystopian future is being created right before your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

He was near crying because he realized that, despite all attempts to stop it from happening, Joe Biden was going to be inaugurated in two weeks as our next President.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Some U.S. presidents appointed judges from an opposing party on the bench of the Supreme Court. For example, a Republican President named Taft appointed three Democrats to the Supreme Court. Three out of six Taft-appointed Supreme Court justices were Democrats from the Deep South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Harmon_Lurton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Douglass_White

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Rucker_Lamar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...am_Howard_Taft
    Fair point, although this was in a different time before the modern ideological sorting.

Right now, the most progressive Republican Senator is to the right of the most conservative Democratic Senator.

If Mitch McConnell had a strong negotiating hand (IE- a Republican majority in the Senate) he might be able to get some kind of compromise where some conservative judges get nominated along with some liberals, but I'm not sure if Hillary Clinton would've been willing to do that (he might also not.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Speaking of Trump , he decided to discuss with a reporter how American Jewish people don't like Israel and more. He blames of course...Barack Obama for this change.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-bandies...224031396.html
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Speaking of Trump , he decided to discuss with a reporter how American Jewish people don't like Israel and more. He blames of course...Barack Obama for this change.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-bandies...224031396.html
    I like this response quote "Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt summed it up neatly, saying on CNN Trump’s comments “fall somewhere between stunning and stupid.”"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Kanye West’s ‘Independent’ Campaign Was Secretly Run by GOP Elites

New documents show Kanye West’s doomed White House campaign—styled as an “independent” third-party effort—appears to have disguised potentially millions of dollars in services it received from a secretive network of Republican Party operatives, including advisers to the GOP elite and a managing partner at one of the top conservative political firms in the country.

Potentially even more alarming? The Kanye 2020 campaign committee did not even report paying some of these advisers, and used an odd abbreviation for another—moves which campaign finance experts say appear designed to mask the association between known GOP operatives and the campaign, and could constitute a violation of federal laws.
    At the heart of Kanye’s political operation was Holtzman Vogel, one of the most powerful and well-connected law firms serving major Republican political and nonprofit organizations today. And weaved throughout his campaign, whether the multi-platinum rapper realized it or not, were Republican operatives who may have been less interested in seeing a President West than in re-electing President Donald Trump.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I like this response quote "Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt summed it up neatly, saying on CNN Trump’s comments “fall somewhere between stunning and stupid.”"
    The funniest part of Trump's usual rants at things is his weird anger at Barack Obama still. Its amazing that Obama runs through his mind constantly. So he has to try and find ways to blame him.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    But not regretful enough to support impeachment. I can see how he’d be upset about being left out of the loop on the coup attempt, but he wasn’t upset enough to do more than say mean things. The GOP went right back to business as usual and Kevin McCarthy flew to Mar-a-Largo to personally apologize for any upsetting things said in the heat of the moment. That second impeachment was their chance to free themselves from Trumps crazy and they decided to embrace it instead. Like when Von Hindenburg decided to make Hitler Chancellor after the Beer Hall Putsch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    He was near crying because he realized that, despite all attempts to stop it from happening, Joe Biden was going to be inaugurated in two weeks as our next President.
    We now know that Mark Meadows sent a guy to Capitol Hill with a power point of how the coup was going to happen. Several Senators are believed to have seen it, and based on Twitter posts from Chuck Grassley about how he would "step in" if Pence "wasn't there", it seems like Grassley may have seen it.

Based on Mitch McConnell's tears late 1-6/early1-7... if I had to place a bet on if McConnell saw that PowerPoint, I'd say he f***ing did.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The funniest part of Trump's usual rants at things is his weird anger at Barack Obama still. Its amazing that Obama runs through his mind constantly. So he has to try and find ways to blame him.
    I’ve said for the longest time that Trump’s mad on for Obama goes back to the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner when Barack made fun of TFG, and Trump’s been nursing that grudge ever since.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’ve said for the longest time that Trump’s mad on for Obama goes back to the 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner when Barack made fun of TFG, and Trump’s been nursing that grudge ever since.
    He hated Obama before that, and was already pushing Birther s*** prior to that night. That's why they brought him to make fun of him... that night is just the moment when he decided to run for president out of spite for everyone laughing at him.

No, his mad-on for Obama came first, and existed only because he's a racist s*** who believes every conspiracy theory he hears, and he had a Twitter account to spread it.

This isn't a chicken/egg scenario, to be sure. He was a racist s*** first.