Manchin gave the Republicans the best christmas gift he can possibly think of.

The problem is that if They try to pressure Manchin any further, he'll threaten to switch parties and that'll be a total disaster

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    The problem is that if They try to pressure Manchin any further, he'll threaten to switch parties and that'll be a total disaster
    1. No he wouldn't. The Republican party isn't as big of a tent as Democrats and he would be completely isolated. His power is that Dems have to give him lip service. If he wasn't screaming about passing infrasructure without the BBB, it might never have gotten the votes to get through simply because there wouldn't be the golden carrot that he "might" vote for BBB to get progressives to let it slide.

2. With the way he's voted, it would make much of a difference.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If that’s the case, then it sounds like Manchin flat out lied about everything he said about BBB on Faux News this morning. He had all that information Psaki mentioned, knew the plan was beneficial and had no effect on inflation, and yet he still chose to thumb his nose at Biden by refusing the vote for it. While I don’t think Manchin did that as a favor to Qpublicans, perhaps someone on his staff told him that voting for the bill would hurt his re-election chances, or the special interests he’s in the back pocket of told him to just say no. Maybe I’m wrong, so I’d love to hear a better explanation.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

White House says Manchin went back on his word

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-W.Va.) opposition to President Biden's social spending package was "a breach of his commitments," calling his reversal on the bill "inexplicable."

"Senator Manchin’s comments this morning on FOX are at odds with his discussions this week with the President, with White House staff, and with his own public utterances," Psaki said in a statement on Sunday shortly after Manchin told Fox's Bret Baier that he was a "no" on the legislation.

It was the first time Manchin said firmly where he stood on the bill after months of wrangling with lawmakers and the White House to come up with an agreeable framework.
    He got something from GOP donors and corporations that was more appealing. He's getting praise from all of them right now for "owning the libs".

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    Just look to Jeff Van Drew, who switched parties and not so long ago. He was on a hit list fro voting for the Infrastructure Bill, and now he got the death Sentence, an endorsement from Trump.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Just look to Jeff Van Drew, who switched parties and not so long ago. He was on a hit list fro voting for the Infrastructure Bill, and now he got the death Sentence, an endorsement from Trump.
    After switching, he comfortably won the Republican primary and was reelected in 2020. The main threat to his political future is redistricting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I just saw Debbie Dingell say "People are stunned by what Manchin did..."

Lady, I ain't even surprised.

Folks did not want to vote for infrastructure based on that this is exactly what would happen once they did.

Astonishing Member

When someone has been saying for months that he would not vote for a bill costing more than $1.5 trillion, why are you surprised when he says that he won't vote for a bill which currently does in fact cost more than that? For someone who ran for President based on his many years of experience in pushing bills through the Senate, Joe Biden seems to be inexplicably inept at the process.
    Last edited by seismic-2; 12-19-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

If they have audio of Manchin detailing how he was gonna vote for the bill and more...release it. Sink him in public. Detail how he obviously took special interest money and doesn't care. Go on a big offensive is my thinking. Biden should come out and just say how disappointed he is that Manchin chose special interest money and more over his own state and helping the country.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    When someone has been saying for months that he would not vote for a bill costing more than $1.5 trillion, why are you surprised when he says that he won't vote for a bill which currently does in fact cost more than that? For someone who ran for President based on his many years of experience in pushing bills through the Senate, Joe Biden seems to be inexplicably inept at the process.
    And yet they had no problem with the $7T trump added to the debt. By Obama's 3rd or 4th year, the debt was going down. trump should have kept that trend going.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    After switching, he comfortably won the Republican primary and was reelected in 2020. The main threat to his political future is redistricting.
    In New Jersey? Even the Republicans don't like Trump. Yeah, Van Drew got re-elected, but I'm not so confident in his political future.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

As this details Manchin has millions invested into coal. He's riding that dying industry into the ground and making bank.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/27/polit...sts/index.html

This was 2 months ago....so everyone knew it was either...Manchin cares about his country or his big money. He chose his money....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    And yet they had no problem with the $7T trump added to the debt. By Obama's 3rd or 4th year, the debt was going down. trump should have kept that trend going.
    No argument there. My point about Manchin is that when someone has repeatedly been saying for months what he would not vote for, probably it would have been a good idea to believe him.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium