Ultimate Member

https://www.binnews.com/content/2022...TOzrzcRqcP-oj8

At least seven HBCU campuses were evacuated or locked down on Tuesday (January 4) after they received bomb threats.

According to The Washington Post, Howard University, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Norfolk State University, North Carolina Central University, Florida Memorial University, Prairie View A&M University and Xavier University all reported receiving bomb threats. No explosions occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This guy seems to be really wrong, and then unable to appreciate how anyone else may see things differently.

The attitude that the insurrectionists almost won on January 6 is only going to encourage those idiots in the future.

John Pavlovitz writes "We were literally a handful of courageous officers, a few quick-thinking politicians, and one or two fortuitous seconds from an overturned election, an installed dictator, and an unrecognizable America."

Most people don't share his view. And it represents a shocking lack of familiarity to think anyone who doesn't is lying about it.
    Actually, you are wrong, we were closer to that happening than you care to admit. Maybe it's because so many in your Party supported it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It really depends on the business, I think. My job has had a structured return to the office, and we've been given the option- even after the office is opened completely- to continue working from home, or to split our time between the office and home. On the flip side, my sister works for Bank of America, and they are forcing everyone to return to the office this month. She has tried getting an extension to continue working from home, but they were only willing to give her a few days more (and it makes less sense for her to go back to the office, because the team she works on is based in another state anyway and she's the only one on it that is in St. Louis).
    True, and it depends on people's home situation. For me, I moved to about half and half home and at work and my commuting costs have gone way down since I'm not driving an hour a day to work and back every day. I'm an empty nester, practically, so kids aren't getting in the way when I work at home. Conversely, though, some of my coworkers are parents with young kids and like their ability to spend more time with them easier.

I personally would like to see less of the traditional work model and more work remotely model. It will really help reduce use of fossil fuels, for commuters, and if we can reduce office space that is needed for each business it will reduce the need to keep building on our last few undeveloped spaces.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Actually, you are wrong, we were closer to that happening than you care to admit. Maybe it's because so many in your Party supported it.
    For the 6th January mob to have a credible chance of winning (defined as installing and maintaining Donald Trump as President in spite of the election result) the military would have needed to effectively back the Donald at some point…unless it’s assumed the courts would have decided that the Donald had legally won. (Realistically there’s no reason to believe there’s any scenario where the courts would have done that…the reality is the Donald’s case has been rejected every time it’s been put in front of the courts.)

Personally I feel Mets is right this time. The detail of 6th Jan might have gone down differently, there might have been more unpleasantness…but the substantial outcome was never going to be different because the US military never had any intention to help the Donald to subvert the legitimate outcome of the election.

See the luck of the Maxwells may be about to strike again.

The BBC have reported that a couple of the jurors in the Ghislaine Maxwell case have subsequently admitted that they were child abuse victims themselves, and claim they disclosed this in the jury discussions, and the subsequent discussion influenced other jury members.

Regrettably I suspect that may provide grounds for a re-trial (apart from anything else it seems that potential jurors were asked pretrial whether they were abuse victims, and any answering “yes” rejected for service in this trial.)

This guy seems to be really wrong, and then unable to appreciate how anyone else may see things differently.

The attitude that the insurrectionists almost won on January 6 is only going to encourage those idiots in the future.

John Pavlovitz writes "We were literally a handful of courageous officers, a few quick-thinking politicians, and one or two fortuitous seconds from an overturned election, an installed dictator, and an unrecognizable America."

Most people don't share his view. And it represents a shocking lack of familiarity to think anyone who doesn't is lying about it.
    Most people? Speak for yourself, Mets.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Can you outline a convincing narrative where because the events had gone differently on 6th January, the Donald would be acting as President today?

I can’t think of any.

Say the rioters had been more successful and occupied the Capitol building for as long as a week…it wouldn’t have changed the legal position, or the courts view of the position, the military’s stance, or police stance.

Eventually the building would have been cleared. To be honest I think a longer occupation would in the long term would have actually damaged the Donald even more…it would damaged his chances of contesting next Presidential election.

If we replayed the events of January 6 a thousand times, how often do you think it would end with Donald Trump as an installed dictator?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    For the 6th January mob to have a credible chance of winning (defined as installing and maintaining Donald Trump as President in spite of the election result) the military would have needed to effectively back the Donald at some point…unless it’s assumed the courts would have decided that the Donald had legally won. (Realistically there’s no reason to believe there’s any scenario where the courts would have done that…the reality is the Donald’s case has been rejected every time it’s been put in front of the courts.)

Personally I feel Mets is right this time. The detail of 6th Jan might have gone down differently, there might have been more unpleasantness…but the substantial outcome was never going to be different because the US military never had any intention to help the Donald to subvert the legitimate outcome of the election.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I would never assume most people share my views.

Most Americans can't name any Supreme Court justice.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-supreme-court

Any view about what people understand about politics has to take this into account.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Because he hasn't personally provided Universal Healthcare and access to every American. Because this proposal does not affect every single person, it is bad and shows the Democrats are wrong about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a nice step but it is lacking as it only covers those with insurance and there are an awful lot of people who need insulin but are not insured. There's really no reason why insulin shouldn't be available at no cost to anyone who needs it as it's less than a hundred dollars per person per year...that's nothing when big pharmacy companies are making billions a year.
    This more of a criticism for the republicans, not the dems. The dems have tried numerous times to give people more access to insurance but the republicans don't want Americans to be covered.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    This more of a criticism for the republicans, not the dems. The dems have tried numerous times to give people more access to insurance but the republicans don't want Americans to be covered.
    It's not an issue of making insurance more readily available and affordable...it's about deciding that a drug that is a necessity of life for millions of people and one that is cheaply manufactured at that shouldn't be withheld from anyone that needs it for any reason.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Scoop: Mike Pence’s team helping Jan. 6 committee

People in and around former Vice President Mike Pence's office have been particularly cooperative as the Jan. 6 select committee focuses on what former President Trump was doing during the more than three hours the Capitol was under attack, sources familiar with the testimony tell Axios.

Why it matters: At the one-year mark of the insurrection, the committee is piecing together a definitive timeline of how Trump resisted pleas from his own advisers, allies, family members and lawmakers to halt the violence down Pennsylvania Avenue.

The committee is ramping up its closed-door work with the goal of holding public hearings as early as this spring.

Some Pence-world witnesses have testified without a subpoena, according to one source with direct knowledge of the closed-door hearings.

Both Pence's former chief of staff Marc Short, and former press secretary Alyssa Farah, who later served as communications director to Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows, are among those cooperating with the committee.
    Keith Kellogg also has given a deposition.
    One source familiar with their involvement said Short, who was subpoenaed by the committee, would not have cooperated without the approval of Pence.

What we're hearing: Some of the most helpful information has come from second- and third-tier administration staff who were not directly involved but were at the White House on Jan. 6 and had access to top administration officials, sources tell Axios.

They’ve been integral to helping piece together exactly what happened that day, one committee aide said.
    Many of those officials met solely with the committee's Republican members, Reps. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), two sources with direct knowledge said.
    Some also have testified together with their former colleagues.
    Mike Pence is the closest person to Trump at the time who might not be implicated directly in the Coup. He must have known at least some of it, or most of it, but from my understanding he was not part of the planning or anything like that. If so, then he has more incentive to help the 1/6 Committee instead of fighting against it like Bannon or Meadows.

Edit: Some on Twitter are also mentioning that Pence is still considering a run fro the Presidency. If Pence was smart (and we know that is highly questionable) he'd pull a Michael Cohan and give full cooperation in hopes of taking Trump out of the picture. If Trump can't run in 2024, then Pence stands a chance in the primaries. As long as Trump might run, Pence's chances are zero.
    Last edited by Tami; 01-06-2022 at 05:47 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

That must be driving Trump batshit insane, to which I say….GOOD!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

What an amazing success, the biggest success you ever saw. Trump's picture book has sold 200,000 copies in it's first 6 weeks.

https://polinews.org/trump-buried-in...the-first-day/

In comparison Obama sold 800,000 copies of his book....ON THE FIRST DAY!
    How many were bought with SuerPAC mobey to give away later?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Can you outline a convincing narrative where because the events had gone differently on 6th January, the Donald would be acting as President today?

I can’t think of any.

Say the rioters had been more successful and occupied the Capitol building for as long as a week…it wouldn’t have changed the legal position, or the courts view of the position, the military’s stance, or police stance.

Eventually the building would have been cleared. To be honest I think a longer occupation would in the long term would have actually damaged the Donald even more…it would damaged his chances of contesting next Presidential election.
    If we replayed the events of January 6 a thousand times, how often do you think it would end with Donald Trump as an installed dictator?
    They were close. Sure, they didn't have the military... but they had the military making statements to not interfere in either direction while Michael Flynn's brother was at the Pentagon stalling the National Guard's response. They tried to get people within the Pentagon and National Security Team at the last minute in December to get traction on it.

The press is reporting that this almost was a coup because it was. And it's on,y by honoring that truth that we can move forward and take steps yo make sure that in 2024, 2028, or any other year it can't happen again.

The fact that we're watching the forum's one still-admitted Republican try to hand-wave away a coordinated domestic terror attack planned by his party's president/overlord and members of his party that their die-hard militia and conspiracy supporters carried out that killed Capitol Police and wanted to capture and kill the VP or noteworthy progressives to lynch them... this is now becoming the GQP brand. Ignore all the evidence of the evil and seditious things we did, nothing to see here...

Meanwhile, Liz Cheney is like, "ENOUGH."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I can't access the full Op Ed by Karl Rove, however it seems to have hit a cord on both sides

Republicans’ Jan. 6 Responsibility

We’re in an acrimonious period of partisan tribalism and have been for some time. Both parties are guilty of overwrought denunciations of their political opponents. My criticisms are often aimed at Democrats; on the anniversary of Jan. 6, I’m addressing squarely those Republicans who for a year have excused the actions of the rioters who stormed the Capitol, disrupted Congress as it received the Electoral College’s results, and violently attempted to overturn the election
    ---------------
    (1,2) Never could have imagined that a Karl Rove Op Ed would be what I choose to highlight today. THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ALL AMERICANS, both Democrats & pre Trump Republicans who exist.

"To move beyond Jan. 6, 2021, we must put country ahead of party. "
    "There can be no soft-pedaling what happened and no absolution for those who planned, encouraged and aided the attempt to overthrow our democracy. Love of country demands nothing less. That’s true patriotism."
    -----------------

Karl Rove:

“What if the other side had done it? What if in early January 2017, Democrats similarly attired and armed had stormed the Capitol and attempted to keep Congress from receiving the Electoral College results for the 2016 presidential election?”
    ----------------

1. Karl Rove is a shitty human being.
    2. Karl Rove helped create the monster that perpetuated the big lie that fueled January 6th.
    3. DEMs didn't do an insurrection.
    4. Karl Rove *gasp* said a true thing.

Somehow, all 4 are true.
    Twitter Link
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.