Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Ayep. It is. Given what we know, there is almost assuredly some violations of the presidential records act in there.
    Can anything be done after the fact?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Can anything be done after the fact?
    IANAL, so I don't know. It's a mandate, but I'm not sure there's any effective mechanism to actually enforce it beyond taking him to court, and the last time that was done SCOTUS ordered it dismissed because he was no longer president. Another thing that needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It was a pretty sketchy thing that Gofundme did, cancelling donations by saying the demonstrations were no longer peaceful, and initially insisting that everyone who gave money put in a request for a refund.

I'm not sure this is a precedent that they want to set. This would apply to all protests.
    Underscores the power of .dot com power and and ideology being the gate keepers now to our norms. Who needs stolen elections when the options are chosen for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yes, but at some point, you have to go with what you've got. You can't let Trump keep breaking one law after another just to keep you too occupied to prosecute on the early crimes. That's what he does with the press. Distract from one scandal by creating another. At some point, we have to have at least one person concentrate on just one crime or scandal with laser focus to get him on at least that one thing. You know, the way they got Al Capone on tax evasion.
    Breaking the law or violating the norms set by the establishment to protect the establishment? There is a difference but of course when you are holding the reins of power making one seem like they are the same is what defines a kind of power.

The 2020 steal issue won't go away or down without taking the Republican party with it. As it was while he in office the attempts to delegitimize Trump have been about reversing the role of the populist base as only part of the party and not the driver of the party as it has become under Trump. To which the GOP runs the risk of alienating the those that gave fire to the cause of election security. Having the party say all is well come and vote for us just like you used to without question is a reason to stay home. I have heard it said already that any candidate that won't back Jan. 6 can't be trusted by populist voters. Now that might be the way to win back swing districts and suburban GOP elites who were always uncomfortable that their dog was walking them rather than the other way around but they need to wake up and see that they are the pets now.
    Last edited by Xheight; 02-07-2022 at 08:35 AM.

LOL, scrap one ideological sinecure. Job hunting for Tenured Radicals outside Academe is not as going to be easy as it once was now that the playbook is out for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    The 2020 steal issue won't go away or down without taking the Republican party with it.
    Just want to note for all the readers out there that there was no steal. This poster is repeating false claims not supported by any credible evidence.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The initial argument was about whether what Shrier said was so objectionable and poorly done that it merits extreme countermeasures (in this case efforts to pressure major retailers to not carry the book, libraries to remove it, and Spotify to delete Joe Rogan's interviews with her.)

If you think her book is so shoddy as to merit those kinds of responses, that's fine but that standard should be used for all books on all topics.

There is a value judgement on whether a book making some valid ideas means it's worth the downsides. The solution would be to make her book published a year and a half ago irrelevant with a new book by a subject matter expert that covers the valid points while dismantling her errors, but there seems to be internal pressure within progressive spaces like the mainstream media and publishing to not touch the topic with a ten foot pole. That leaves her the only one making the valid points.
    Harmful lies are a limit I'm happy setting for every book, and with the topic being as Anti-Trans as it is there's no surprise why it's not being written about. But I guess now there has to be a book with the subtitle "No, The Trans aren't brainwashing your kids" despite the claims just updating from "The Gays" by most making them.

The book is set in stone, but there's likely to be more exposure to commentary and interviews as it's less of an ask to get someone to listen to an interview on Spotify than to buy and read a 293 page book ($13 for the Kindle edition; $15 for the paperback.) The hardcover sold about 35,000 copies. The amount of people who have listened to her Joe Rogan interview is in the millions.
    Did she apologize or clarify how her 'based on debunked science' claims were wrong on that interview? I believe I can fairly assume she didn't based on the speech you provided and Joe Rogan's track record, so that doesn't really apply to what I said. A question that brings up is: How many who listen to her interviews will read any of the book reviews that note the misinformation if they don't read the book? That number would likely be very low by my guess.

As for my behavior, I do think I show respect. The whole argument between us started when I answered a question in good faith. If people here went after the character of the people they agreed with as readily as they go after me (IE- noting that someone's on the right side but making a bad/ outdated argument), or if they treated another right-wing poster with more courtesy, I might consider that there's something odd about my behavior. But it really just seems to big problem is the side I'm on. If you think about this exchange at some point in the future, I wonder if you'll consider the possibility that you're taking out frustrations about things going on in your life on a stranger.
    You thought you showed respect by answering a poor question in a way that pointed out how poor it was according to your replies, instead of clarifying if it meant something not as poor as you assumed or noticing how it was already clarified in a post with your name in it. That's not respect, that is at-best midly disrespectful and your continued responses have made it clear to me that it was wasn't mild. This has nothing to do with what side of the debate you are on or your political beliefs nor does it have anything to do with my own issues, but if you feel you have to excuse it that way in order to continue to avoid acknowledging how you acted that's up to you. As I said, I'm not holding my breath but neither am I going to let you claim it's just because you are a conservative so you can pass it off without a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Just want to note for all the readers out there that there was no steal. This poster is repeating false claims not supported by any credible evidence.
    Actually, seeing how many Republican officials have been revealed as trying to create fake delegates or other shenanigans it seems pretty clear there was an attempted steal, to throw the election to Benedict Donald no matter what the people said.

Granted, this isn't the version certain trolls are trying to push, but it is the real one.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 02-07-2022 at 09:33 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Read the posts and the news - for credible information on poll workers in GA, drop boxes in GA and recent court ruling in PA. You can't bury the truth just by repeating the party line.

It's good that this has been stated officially, thank you.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Read the posts and the news - for credible information on poll workers in GA, drop boxes in GA and recent court ruling in PA. You can't bury the truth just by repeating the party line.
    Most of us here know that you are either a Troll who knows the truth but is trying to get a rise out of us, or you are a White Rabbit trying to lure us into the deep Rabbit Hole of insanity that you yourself live in.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Actually, seeing how many Republican officials have been revealed as trying to create fake delegates or other shenanigans it seems pretty clear there was an attempted steal, to throw the election to Benedict Donald no matter what the people said.

Granted, this isn't the version certain trolls are trying to push, but it is the real one.
    They would not be "fake" delegates if the ballot numbers were corrected according to the legal re-evaluation. Stop the slander and the steal.

Oh dear.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Most of us here know that you are either a Troll who knows the truth but is trying to get a rise out of us, or you are a White Rabbit trying to lure us into the deep Rabbit Hole of insanity that you yourself live in.
    That the truth would get a "rise" out of someone is not my concern but theirs. Stated before the posts on the 2020 election are about giving fair and critical coverage to supposed "accepted" truths as well as alternative voice to an ignored discourse.

Dismiss it at your own peril.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Don’t bother, Tami, he isn’t worth wasting keystrokes on. Hell, not even JBatmanFan05 would’ve been THIS much of a troll.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!