I would be very worried if I were a Civilian in the Ukraine. Putin said the military would not target any of the Civilian population. Now he seems to be laying the ground work that he will be doing the opposite and attacking them.

he said the Ukraine military is hiding weapons and arms in Civilian neighborhoods and of course if that is the case then those areas can be targeted.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Angry Putin calls on Ukrainian army to overthrow government

Putin has really gone off the deep end.
    Yeah, that’s some seriously unhinged shit. But, right wingers and the knuckleheads on Faux News are praising the hell out of that madman. SMDH.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would be very worried if I were a Civilian in the Ukraine. Putin said the military would not target any of the Civilian population. Now he seems to be laying the ground work that he will be doing the opposite and attacking them.

he said the Ukraine military is hiding weapons and arms in Civilian neighborhoods and of course if that is the case then those areas can be targeted.
    Putin's word is worth less than the shadow of a flea's fart.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This Fox News Reporter Is the Only Adult in the Room

Throughout Russia’s transparent and brazen march to war in Ukraine, Fox News hosts and commentators have unleashed a flurry of deeply cynical, hyper-partisan rhetoric aimed at attacking Biden for the invasion or even deflecting blame from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

While much of this unhinged commentary has gone unchallenged on Fox airwaves, in recent days one of the network’s last remaining well-respected journalists has taken on the role of schooling some of her colleagues on-air for pushing misleading or downright false claims about the unfolding crisis.

Fox News national security correspondent Jennifer Griffin has been a constant presence on the network over the past few weeks as the specter of war in Ukraine has exponentially increased. During this time, the veteran journalist—who has been with Fox News since 1999—has delivered well-sourced and timely reporting on the likelihood of Russia invading Ukraine amid an increasingly fraught situation in Europe and beyond.

Considering that Griffin has had to deliver some of these on-air reports during the network’s opinion programming, however, has resulted in situations where she has had to pierce the Fox News bubble of preconceived right-wing narratives.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Squad of Chechen special forces ‘hunters’ is unleashed in Ukraine to detain - or kill - Kyiv officials

A squad of Chechen special forces 'hunters' has been unleashed in Ukraine to detain or kill a set of specific Ukrainian officials.

Each soldier was reportedly given a special 'deck of cards' with Ukrainian officials' photos and descriptions on them, a Moscow Telegram channel with links to the security establishment reported.

The list is of officials and security officers suspected of 'crimes' by the Russian Investigative Committee, the report added.
    It came as Ukraine's president admitted he is 'target number one' for Russian assassins in his capital, while his family is 'the number two goal' for Putin's hitmen.

The Chechen squad is thought to be in a Ukrainian forest and was allegedly given an 'order to kill' if those on the wanted list could not be detained.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Putin's word is worth less than the shadow of a flea's fart.
    Of course it is. But now he is dropping even pretending not targeting Civilians. He pretty much is saying I will let my guys target and kill anyone.

It just goes to show his mindset that he would just come out and say it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    We have been under cyber attack from the Russians for how many decades now? And you're worried that they might respond if we attack them in kind? They already are without our doing anything.
    Then why haven't we retaliated in any of said decades? Perhaps it's safe to assume the Pentagon knows better than we do.
    The options give to Biden include jamming their railroad signal systems to disrupt their supply chain. If we go that route, we better be prepared for some of the same.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Russia Sends Bone-Chilling Message To Sweden & Finland; Threatens ‘Military Implications’ If They Go The Ukraine Way

Amid the ongoing Russian military operations in Ukraine, the country’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Friday that Moscow will have to respond if Sweden and Finland become NATO members.

“All OSCE member states in their national capacity, including Finland and Sweden, have reaffirmed the principle that the security of one country cannot be built at the expense of the security of others.

Obviously, the accession of Finland and Sweden to NATO, which is primarily a military alliance as you well understand, would have serious military and political consequences, which would require our country to make response steps,” Zakharova told a briefing.

On Thursday, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg invited Sweden and Finland to attend a NATO virtual summit on the situation in and around Ukraine on Friday. On the same day, Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said that Finland will be ready to join NATO “if the issue of national security becomes acute.”
    ---
    Finland or Sweden joining Nato would spark Russian response: Russia warns

A spokesperson for the Russian foreign ministry has warned that the accession of either Finland or Sweden to the defence alliance Nato would spark a serious response from Moscow.

Speaking during a news briefing in Moscow, Maria Zakharova threatened if either Nordic country sought to join the security alliance it "would have serious military and political consequences that would require our country to take reciprocal steps", BBC reported quoting Russian news agencies.

"We regard the Finnish government's commitment to a military non-alignment policy as an important factor in ensuring security and stability in northern Europe," Zakharova said.
    --

Sweden, Finland plan to stay out of NATO

Sweden and Finland plan to stay out of NATO despite the “shock” of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, leaders of the two countries said Thursday.

With the military offensive ordered last night by Russian President Vladimir Putin, “we have entered a new and dark chapter in European history,” Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson told a press conference.

She condemned “a clear violation of international law and against the European security order.”
    Despite a debate about NATO membership that has been revived by Ukraine tensions, the Social Democrat leader said Sweden’s position on not joining the defense alliance remained in place.

“In a situation like this it is important that Sweden's long-standing security policy stays firm. That we are predictable and clear,” Andersson said.

“Sweden has been alliance-free for an extremely long time. It has served Sweden's interests well,” she added.

Earlier in neighboring Finland, the government also ruled out immediate moves closer to NATO membership.

“We have a security policy designed to withstand times of crisis. We will use the means at our disposal, including cooperation with NATO partners,” Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto told a press conference.

“After a crisis, we will see what further action is needed,” the minister said.

Finland's President Sauli Niinisto noted that “despite early warnings, this morning has been a shock to us all.”
    ----

Sisters But Not Twins: Prospects of Finland and Sweden’s NATO Accession - February 2, 2022

In December 2021, the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs put forward an eight-point draft treaty[1] with a list of security demands of the Western alliance. These include reverting NATO forces to 1997 positioning, banning new members from joining the alliance, and limiting NATO’s presence in Eastern Europe. Washington responded that these points were unrealistic as they would entail the removal of multiple Eastern European countries from the NATO alliance and capitulate to Russia’s desire for a greater sphere of influence over its neighbors.[2] In a show of force, Russia positioned an estimated 100,000 troops along its border with Ukraine, with many fearing an imminent invasion of Ukraine. Renewed debates over NATO’s Eastern European enlargement ambitions, the potential for further Russian aggression, and uncertainty over Ukraine’s future have led other countries to reconsider their engagement with NATO – including Finland and Sweden.

Together with Austria, Cyprus, Ireland, and Malta, Finland and Sweden are the only EU states that are not members of NATO. Both have been militarily neutral since World War II, although the end of the Cold War reignited the NATO question in both countries. After deciding to remain militarily neutral in the 1990s, both eventually abandoned their political neutrality when they joined the European Union together in 1995. Finland and Sweden’s policies of military non-alignment have persisted to the present, although renewed threats of Russian aggression are prompting conversations of their potential NATO membership.
    ---

Ever watch a Horror movie where a group of Teenagers or whatever are ambushed by a crazed killer, and the group just stands and watches as the killer attacks one of them? Like Deer in Headlights.
    Last edited by Tami; 02-25-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I just saw a clip of Hillary Clinton on Morning Joe calling on the government to launch cyber attacks against Russia.

“I think we could also be attacking a lot of the government institutions and again, the oligarchs and their way of life through cyber attacks.” She also said we should be “beaming in accurate information into the homes of Russians”.
    Please don’t listen to her, Biden. A direct attack will prompt a direct response.
    I agree with this. We need to show Putin and especially his gang of kleptocrats that invasions of neighboring countries are extremely bad for business. My hope is that it gets so bad for them Putin manages to "accidently fall out of a window" very soon.

Then why haven't we retaliated in any of said decades? Perhaps it's safe to assume the Pentagon knows better than we do.
    The options give to Biden include jamming their railroad signal systems to disrupt their supply chain. If we go that route, we better be prepared for some of the same.
    Who says we haven't been retaliating? Remember the stuxnet virus unleashed on Iranian nuclear facilities? We have a whole division of people paid to sit around all day dreaming up ways to sabotage our enemies computer networks and industry. Believe it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 02-25-2022 at 11:47 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I agree with this. We need to show Putin and especially his gang of kleptocrats that invasions of neighboring countries are extremely bad for business. My hope is that it gets so bad for them Putin manages to "accidently fall out of a window" very soon.

Who says we haven't been retaliating? Remember the stuxnet virus unleashed on Iranian nuclear facilities? We have a whole division of people paid to sit around all day dreaming up ways to sabotage our enemies computer networks and industry. Believe it.
    I was going by what achilles said, that Russia has been attacking us "without our doing anything."

We can agree that Putin is horribly unhinged and when he said he will retaliate against any foreign nation that intervenes, I don't believe he was bluffing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I was going by what achilles said, that Russia has been attacking us "without our doing anything."

We can agree that Putin is horribly unhinged and when he said he will retaliate against any foreign nation that intervenes, I don't believe he was bluffing.
    It would make sense for the US not to publicise what kind of cyber actions we've been taking in response to Russia's. It's doubtful Russia would ever admit to it, and the less our enemies know about our operations capability, the better.

I don't think Putin is bluffing. I do wonder at what point do the people around him see how dangerous his game is becoming and decide to remove him. I can't believe they would ever allow him to use nukes, because they know we will retaliate.

I just saw a clip of Hillary Clinton on Morning Joe calling on the government to launch cyber attacks against Russia.

“I think we could also be attacking a lot of the government institutions and again, the oligarchs and their way of life through cyber attacks.” She also said we should be “beaming in accurate information into the homes of Russians”.
    Please don’t listen to her, Biden. A direct attack will prompt a direct response.
    Russia seems busy right now.

And it also seems that they don't care about facts. It's not like Ukraine did anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Yes, of course he means to keep it all. And a great more besides.

He’s consistently said he wants to re-assemble the Soviet Union. He’s not like the Donald on the legendary wall…just saying things for rhetorical effect…he’s been completely open about his intentions for years now.

Putin probably regards Ronald Reagan as the devil incarnate. Certainly he intends to do whatever he can to reverse the land losses of that era.

Deep down I suspect a lot of Russians agree with Putin, one guy can’t bend a nation of that size to his will, he has to be pushing in a direction many people want to go.

If it was all down to Putin, there would be a strong case for assassination. But it isn’t all down to him, and that dark path would make things even worse I think.
    Yeah, the main argument against assassination is the precedent it would set. On the other hand, Putin seems to have ordered a hit on the President of Ukraine, so it's arguably been set.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

What is it the one guy who was formerly in the CIA said?

"If our operations are on the news and known in the public it is because we messed up and they failed in some god awful way."

So there is a good chance the USA has been doing some things. Does Putin seem like the kind of guy who would put it on the news that the USA or any other country hacked his stuff?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What exactly is Putin's game here and why now??? Is it simply that he's trying to bring about the return of the former Soviet Union?