Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hadn't read that story yet but that was some months back and we're just seeing news of this. I still don't see them taking any actions as of yet. China is more of an economic superpower than Russia and I think the trade they do with other countries may keep them out of it for now. I think they still may want to keep relations open on both sides, playing both sides against the middle. China has enjoyed an increase of Russian wheat imports so they're going to try and keep that going.
    I just came across this as well.

As war breaks out in Europe, China blames the US
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/china...mic/index.html

As Russian missiles flew through the Ukrainian sky Thursday and world leaders decried an invasion spreading across the country, China refused to condemn Russia's move outright, while appearing to levy blame on the United States and its allies.

A Chinese government official Thursday sidestepped questions over whether it would condemn Russia's actions or consider it an "invasion."

"China has taken a responsible attitude and persuaded all parties not to escalate tensions or incite war...Those who follow the US' lead in fanning up flames and then shifting the blame onto others are truly irresponsible," she said.

The comments echoed those made a day earlier, prior to the invasion, when Hua blamed the crisis on "NATO expansion eastward all the way to Russia's doorstep."

"Did it ever think about the consequences of pushing a big country to the wall?" she said.
    Earlier this month China signed a 30-year gas deal with Russia and like the wheat deal you shared, I don't see them reneging on it anytime soon.

Feb 4 (Reuters) - Russia has agreed a 30-year contract to supply gas to China via a new pipeline and will settle the new gas sales in euros, bolstering an energy alliance with Beijing amid Moscow's strained ties with the West over Ukraine and other issues.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hadn't read that story yet but that was some months back and we're just seeing news of this. I still don't see them taking any actions as of yet. China is more of an economic superpower than Russia and I think the trade they do with other countries may keep them out of it for now. I think they still may want to keep relations open on both sides, playing both sides against the middle. China has enjoyed an increase of Russian wheat imports so they're going to try and keep that going.
    They doing it currently too, they've yet to decry the invasion of the Ukraine and instead have blamed NATO for forcing Russia's hand...they're the opposite of neutral.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I just came across this as well.

As war breaks out in Europe, China blames the US
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/china...mic/index.html

Earlier this month China signed a 30-year gas deal with Russia and like the wheat deal you shared, I don't see them reneging on it anytime soon.
    I know the right is having a field day with the rumor about China helping Russia but the reality is that we don't know what China is planning.

Astonishing Member

nm ten char

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I know the right is having a field day with the rumor about China helping Russia but the reality is that we don't know what China is planning.
    Sure we do...

They are planning on doing right around "Nothing..." to even so much as hobble Russia.

If you are not working towards kneecapping Russia?

You are helping Russia.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    They are helping...by not doing anything they enable Russia. Russia gets very little from the West so our sanctions do next to nothing, but if China was to say, "we're cutting off economic ties with Russia over this" it would end real quick because Russa both exports and imports a lot to and from China.

But China won't do that, because they think Russia's land grab is totally cool because they do the same thing all the time and plan on doing it again in the not too distant future. I don't get how people are confused by this.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

So! On a topic that's not Russia...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/kbj/

So on a scale of one to ten, one being not and ten being the most, how racist do we think the GOP is gonna get?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

So on a scale of one to ten, one being not and ten being the most, how racist do we think the GOP is gonna get?
    The hearings will be the expected shitshow of hypocrisy and racist blubbering from the GOP to pander to their base. The thing I dont get is this is an opportunity for them to pretend they aren't racist imo. The court already has a conservative supermajority. This is a like for like replacement in the minority why bother other than their base likes the "it's racist to white people that Biden promised a black woman nominee" angle. My idiot senator is one of them thats already been mouthing off about it.

On the other hand just got back from early voting here in Texas and was surprised at a healthy line actually.

Well, Marsha Blackburn has said that it was 'extremely inappropriate' for Biden to announce his pick during the Russia-Ukraine war. And Lindsey is just pissed that Biden didn't pick the candidate from his home state.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

They can't say much about her education and service in the courts. They will probably jump on her background as a public defender somehow. I saw from your link she would be the first former federal public defender to serve on the Supreme Court. About time.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The hearings will be the expected shitshow of hypocrisy and racist blubbering from the GOP to pander to their base. The thing I dont get is this is an opportunity for them to pretend they aren't racist imo. The court already has a conservative supermajority. This is a like for like replacement in the minority why bother other than their base likes the "it's racist to white people that Biden promised a black woman nominee" angle. My idiot senator is one of them thats already been mouthing off about it.

On the other hand just got back from early voting here in Texas and was surprised at a healthy line actually.
    The thing is, they don't care about pretending they aren't racist anymore. Their base is a bunch of racists. The leader of their party is a racist. So they stopped giving a damn and just say the quiet parts out loud now.

Good old Mitch put out his Tweet that pretty much shows his mind is made up.

He said he is looking forward to reviewing her legal views and judicial philosophy but he also noted he voted against her for her current position.

Now my question is. Why does he need to review her legal views and judicial philosophy right now. Wouldnt he have done so already since he already voted against her for her lost spot? He should know enough at this point since he was informed enough in his mind to vote against her.

But no he pointed out he voted against her once and he will for this job. It doesnt matter what her legal views and judicial philosophy are.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, I know this isn't entirely on topic, but Russia, China, and hacking seem to be at the fore, so here goes:

I am extremely unhappy, and perhaps someone here can suggest a course of action. I discovered today I had part of my ID stolen. My name, and my address, but none of my financial information. The guy, who uses my name as one of his aliases, (this much I was able to discover myself, along with his address because he's stupid), brought a tablet computer. I got in touch with the company, which I'd never heard of, explained I am not him, and never have even been to Alaska, and they cancelled it, and put a fraud alert on the account.

But I want my pound of flesh. The Feds make it impossible to report these things, (in my case at least, asking for information I don't have), my local police have a cyber crime unit they want you to know, but apparently you have to hack it to find it. I was hacked years earlier, but I traced it to China, a notorious hacking "bank" that is widely known to be a CCP hacking station. Got that money back.

So how to I get them noticed by police, and how did they get only that information and NOT any financials.

Heh, because I'm the kind who carries a grudge, I found the person's apartment, and his name/alias. There are two people living there, a woman in her 80s, and a guy with a vaguely Eastern European name with no other information on him at all listed. I wonder who it was....

Still don't know who to report him to or how.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-25-2022 at 04:55 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Are Biden's Climate Change policies any good?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-25-2022 at 07:41 PM.