Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    FIFA is known as being one of the most corrupt sporting organizations on the planet, even moreso than the IOC, so this action on Russia borders on laughable. It’s like the Mafia kicking Al Capone out because he was a bad boy.
    Maybe. But its still a heck of a head line. Im sure Russian players and teams will find a way to play on the DL or something.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

FIFA is known as being one of the most corrupt sporting organizations on the planet, even moreso than the IOC, so this action on Russia borders on laughable. It’s like the Mafia kicking Al Capone out because he was a bad boy.
    I don't know. To me it's like, OMG this is so low even we can't ignore it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I'm very curious to see how this goes. Ukraine has historically been one of the most economically corrupt nations and has a painfully struggling economy. If the EU permits its entry, they'll have to carry Ukraine on their backs and/or help rid it of the corrupt oligarchs that have been running things for a very long time. It's a very difficult decision.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Biden hasn't had many wins. Often times current events, whether or not they are a reflection of how well a President has handled things, get blamed on whomever is in charge. Corporate greed being sold as inflation, growing unpopularity of mask mandates which have been primarily the jurisdiction of state and local governments, high COVID hospitalizations and mortality rates among those who refuse to mask up and/or get vaccinated, failure of the Build Back Better plan to pass the Senate, the botched withdrawal from Afghanistan, failure to take military action to help Ukraine. Just off the top of my head. Not trying to say Biden did or didn't do the right thing in any of these situations, but they will all be perceived as failures of Biden and Democrats to various groups beyond just Republicans, who will do their best to place the blame of all of these squarely at Biden's feet.

edit - and what Kirby101 said.
    On the other hand, the GOP just lost all the Russian funding, with the Ruble now being worth less than a red cent...

They were forces into it, too many teams were refusing to play Russia, enough so that they were in danger of handing over the trophy to a team that didn't actually play the way through the last several tournament rounds. That's a lot of lost revenue if games don't get played.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Maybe. But its still a heck of a head line. Im sure Russian players and teams will find a way to play on the DL or something.
    That already happened: the Russian Olympic Committee at the Winter Games earlier this month.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm very curious to see how this goes. Ukraine has historically been one of the most economically corrupt nations and has a painfully struggling economy. If the EU permits its entry, they'll have to carry Ukraine on their backs and/or help rid it of the corrupt oligarchs that have been running things for a very long time. It's a very difficult decision.
    I'm curious if they would even allow it while the country is still under siege. I would think the EU would be worried about being pulled immediately into a war with Russia, and all that would entail. Now, if Russia pulls out and the fighting stops, I could see them allowing it as a preventive measure against Russia invading again.

Maybe. But its still a heck of a hard line. Im sure Russian players and teams will find a way to play on the DL or something.
    From what I recall, FIFA initially said that the Russian team could not compete under their flag, or play their national anthem and that they could not play in front of home fans. This seems to be a step up, where they are saying they can't play at all. And yeah, I can't see too many teams that would be willing to play the Russian team as their country launches a war of aggression against another sovereign country.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

The other thing I saw when I clicked on the link.

FIFA has banned all Russians teams from all competitions and they can not enter the World Cup.
    And, at least as painful for Russians, so has the international Chess organization.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    On the other hand, the GOP just lost all the Russian funding, with the Ruble now being worth less than a red cent...
    Funding it never had.
    A Justice Department prosecutor examining the origins of the FBI’s ‘Russiagate’ probe filed a formal motion (read down below) in a District of Columbia court on Friday regarding potential falling-out by former Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann. Sussmann pleaded not guilty to a single count of lying to federal authorities in the past.

Sussmann, a lawyer at Perkins Coie, the legal firm that represented the Democrats and Clinton’s campaign, supposedly told the FBI two months before the 2016 election that he was not acting on behalf of Clinton when he supplied the bureau with apparently damaging materials.

Sussmann allegedly submitted “purported data” and “white papers” to then-FBI General Counsel James Baker in September 2016 on behalf of the Clinton campaign and an unnamed “technology executive” at a US tech firm, according to Special Counsel John Durham’s petition. They appeared to be referring to a “covert communications route” between the Trump Organization and Alfa Bank (also known as “Russian Bank-1”).

Durham claims that Sussmann “repeatedly billed the Clinton Campaign for his work on the Russian Bank-1 allegations,” citing his “billing records.” According to the motion, this involves an anonymous campaign lawyer, the tech executive (referred to as “Tech Executive-1”), an investigative business, several cyber-researchers, and personnel from “multiple internet companies.”

The Durham Probe is a sham wrapped in a farce.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1654...-investigation

Who else says so? No less than Bill Barr.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/0...ion-is-a-sham/

Now, theofficial GOP lead Senate report said there were ties between the Trump campaign and Russia in no uncertain terms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/u...ce-report.html
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-28-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It may be more like a whorehouse saying Capone didn't meet their standards for a client. FIFA is flawed but have they killed anyone?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm curious if they would even allow it while the country is still under siege. I would think the EU would be worried about being pulled immediately into a war with Russia, and all that would entail. Now, if Russia pulls out and the fighting stops, I could see them allowing it as a preventive measure against Russia invading again.
    Joining the EU? A long process… Ukraine has to meet Europeans standards first otherwise it would be a bad idea for Europe and Ukraine…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Well, had they the choice?
    Poland, Sweden refuse to play Russia in World Cup playoffs
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I can see Trump using this as an opportunity:

"Biden is a horrible president. Russian only invaded because we pulled out of Afgan. If I were still president this never would have happened"

Doesn't matter if he is Pro Russia or not. Trump only attacks. He never had an ounce of compassion for anyone or anything other than himself