Page 272 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1722222622682692702712722732742752762823223727721272 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Did your co-worker ever explain why she didn't like Hillary, or was the reason 'just because'?
    It was her personality. She felt that Hillary was cold and unlikable. To which I replied "Yeah, but at least she's qualified!"

Biden running mate search zeroes in on group that includes at least four black women

Joe Biden’s search for a running mate has advanced to the next phase as his campaign conducts more extensive reviews of some prospects, including at least several African American women, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Among the candidates who have progressed to the point of more comprehensive vetting or have the potential to do so are Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), former national security adviser Susan E. Rice and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, all of whom are black. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is white, is also in that group, as is New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who is Latina.

The pool of prospects remains fluid, and some close Biden allies suggested other contenders could also face the more intensive vetting process. The people describing the situation spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive private conversations and an evolving search process.
    I think I'd be fine with any of them, though I won't deny I have personal reasons why I'm glad Warren is still in contention (She's an alum of the University I went to).
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Biden running mate search zeroes in on group that includes at least four black women

I think I'd be fine with any of them, though I won't deny I have personal reasons why I'm glad Warren is still in contention (She's an alum of the University I went to).
    I was initially thinking it would be really bad if the pick was Warren since her replacement would be chosen by a Republican, but thinking about it the law in Massachusetts requires an election to be held within 6 months of the vacancy opening up - something Warren could exploit by resigning the day she is chosen for the ticket (if that actually happens) meaning the election for her replacement would have to happen BEFORE the next congress is even seated. She could disarm that potential problem before it even becomes one - since the Republicans have a majority in the Senate already the damage they could do would be minimal.

The downside is what the Mitchocrite will try to get away with in the Lame Duck session between November and January - and how ready the defeated Senators will be to go along with him. Will they find some independence without the threat of Donald hanging over their heads, or will they go down in a pile of spite? And would that one vote make a difference in such a scenario?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

One man’s uninformed opinion: My choice would be Harris, followed by Rice and Warren. Regarding Bottoms, the bloom might be off the rose after the tragedy in Atlanta over the weekend. Meanwhile, I’m not familiar with Demings or Grisham.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Yeah, it's called acting. Does Gaetz think Sir Anthony Hopkins is a Nazi because he played Hitler once?
    More importantly, does he think Reagan was a mob boss because he played one in his last movie?

https://thedissolve.com/features/dep...n-the-killers/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Market can't make up its mind today.

Sitting at 0.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Many older conservatives are literally dying because of a botched Covid-19 response right now, and are starting to poll that they're supporting Biden.

All signs are pointing towards everything from Gen X on leaning further left.

So get used to disappointment as a Republican. Your party has literally let its own support base die and done everything they can to alienate themselves from the survivors.
    The idea that COVID is killing off conservatives is pretty gross, but also inaccurate.

The number of deaths has fortunately not surpassed vote margins. It's also not only Trump voters who are dying, as it's been well-documented that some communities have been hit harder.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not as panicky about McConnell and Trump's plan to stuff the courts with Conservative judges. While I agree that the plan is sinister, it can so easily be undermined.

This is one example of how that happens. Even Conservative judges eventually have to choose between politics and the Constitution. If they value their job long-term, they will always side with the Law and the Constitution.
    I agree with Gorsuch's reasoning, but is it fair to say that there's no rationale for suggesting that Congress didn't intend to pass a law in 1964 protecting transgender and gay employees from discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Nobody is "erasing history" They want to stop glorifying traitors and people who fought for an inhumane cause.

Hitler and Stalin have not been erased, even with the paucity of monuments to them.
    There are a pretty high number of Stalin monuments, actually.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ity/556625001/

Soviet chic is still largely socially acceptable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

One man’s uninformed opinion: My choice would be Harris, followed by Rice and Warren. Regarding Bottoms, the bloom might be off the rose after the tragedy in Atlanta over the weekend. Meanwhile, I’m not familiar with Demings or Grisham.
    Demings was an absolute star at the Senate Trial against Trump.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I'll vote for Biden yet part of me would rather have any of his rumored VPs as POTUS except one.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm definitely going to have different views than many of the rest of you.

Elizabeth Warren- The people she would excite are already voting for Biden. It would increase the chances of Democrats having a weaker nominee next time, since she would run in 2024 as someone very well-positioned for an open primary.

Gretchen Whitmer- Too inexperienced. Too many questions about controversial policies in Michigan that made sense in the time, but may appear worse in hindsight.

Kamala Harris- We saw her weaknesses as a candidate in the primary. She has a shot as the most conventionally qualified of the African-American candidates.

Amy Klobuchar- She has a decent resume, comes from a crucial region, has a great electoral history, and did respectably in the primaries. But there are stories about how she was abusive to the people who worked with her, and she has a connection to the second-biggest political story right now, as a prosecutor who declined to go after George Floyd's killer.

Keisha Lance Bottoms- A first-term mayor has serious qualifications issues, although she has responded to the national spotlight.

Val Demings- The main question is whether she's ready for the national spotlight, but an African-American police chief from Florida who has become a prominent congresswoman checks off a lot of boxes.

Susan Rice- She has limited domestic experience, and has never sought elected office before. On the other hand, she is a known quantity, has served in prominent office (UN Ambassador, National Security Advisor) and doesn't have to defend controversial domestic policies or associations.

Tammy Duckworth- Fantastic story. She might have limited demographic appeal.

Lujan Grisham- Meets the qualfications threshold as a congresswoman turned Governor, but there are potential questions about her record.

Tammy Baldwin- Seems qualified and unlikely to embarrass the party. She's one of the most progressive Senators, so one question is whether the Bernie revolution makes her look more appealing to centrists, or less likely to get anyone's support (too liberal for the center, not enough of a bomb-thrower for the base.)

I think the smartest move might be for the Biden campaign to determine whether Demings or Rice would work is ready for national office, and keep a few other contenders on standby in case neither is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    In case you guys didn't see this bundle:

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-rac...e-and-equality

It has 14 hours left on it, and it contains a truly staggering amount of video games with the proceeds going to the right places.

Grab it if you can!
    Thanks. It looks interesting.

Well, who was responsible for the pandemic having gotten out of control to the point businesses had to be shuttered? Hmm, I do believe the villain of that piece was one Donald John Trump. This is more about the administration looking for ways to screw over the little guy while refusing to divulge where billions in relief money destined for small businesses had gone.
    Was it possible to avoid the shelter in place mandates that led to the shuttering of businesses in a country of 300,000,000+?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-15-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It was her personality. She felt that Hillary was cold and unlikable. To which I replied "Yeah, but at least she's qualified!"
    Colder than a guy taking healthcare away from his chronically ill nephew?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Colder than a guy taking healthcare away from his chronically ill nephew?
    That's ancient history!

He's the guy who'd grab a woman's p***y, mock physically disabled reporter...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's ancient history!

He's the guy who'd grab a woman's p***y, mock physically disabled reporter...
    All things I pointed out to her. But nooooo, Hillary is such a bitch, I'll vote for Jill Stein, even though that could ONLY help Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    R-MONEY. Isn't that Mitt Romney's rap name?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'll vote for Biden yet part of me would rather have any of his rumored VPs as POTUS except one.
    Think of it this way, he's paving the otherwise rocky road for a woman to be elected President.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.