Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    So actually your earlier statements weren’t about the totality of trans rights, but purely restricted to a particular issue? (A lot of statements you have made are phrased that don’t make that readily apparent.)
    Just for a bit of context about this issue in the States...

Ain't even no big whoop to see a trans person(and, believe me... That the person is trans is not being phrased anywhere near as politely as that...) catching a beating on the street on Worldstarhiphop.

That's not the only place where that sort of thing won't even get you a stern reprimand. Never mind a conviction.

All of the other "Concerns..." that folks seem to have?

They take a backseat to stemming that sort of garbage in America. There is no way that said end can be achieved if you are out here trying to say that the very act of accepting that your child is not going to be a "Normal..." person is going to result in the sort of thing being discussed here.

Once the folks in question can just live like any other American? Let's start discussing the "Small Potatoes..." stuff.

Until then?

Way larger issue to address.

Along that line...

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/03...n-in-evanston/

Elise Malary, Trans Advocate Missing Since Last Week, Found Dead In Lake Michigan In Evanston

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just for a bit of context about this issue in the States...

Ain't even no big whoop to see a trans person(and, believe me... That the person is trans is not being phrased anywhere near as politely as that...) catching a beating on the street on Worldstarhiphop.

That's not the only place where that sort of thing won't even get you a stern reprimand. Never mind a conviction.

All of the other "Concerns..." that folks seem to have?

They take a backseat to stemming that sort of garbage in America. There is no way that said end can be achieved if you are out here trying to say that the very act of accepting that your child is not going to be a "Normal..." person is going to result in the sort of thing being discussed here.

Once the folks in question can just live like any other American? Let's start discussing the "Small Potatoes..." stuff.

Until then?

Way larger issue to address.
    Of course, I understand all that.

But I still think thwtGuardian was putting across his views in a totally confusing way.

Indeed I still don’t know his views on the two specific points I raised. Or yours for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I've explained my position on this subject several times in detail now with you and others here. I'm getting pretty tired of it.

Every bit of negativity hurts our chances in 2024. While people continue to spread it here, I'll continue to point that fact out.
    Well, I've listed several executive actions Biden has taken that I've agreed with but they didn't receive responses. I've asked the thread as a whole to share how they feel about his performance thus far and no one seemed to want to. You may feel that every bit of negativity hurts our chances but I'm not seeing much praise or positivity. There has to be some "wins" that can be discussed around here.
    There's an intense focus on Republicans, which I obviously understand the reason for, but there's very little discussion about the current president who is still dealing with a pandemic, an increase in prices on pretty much everything across the board, and now a war.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Well, I've listed several executive actions Biden has taken that I've agreed with but they didn't receive responses. I've asked the thread as a whole to share how they feel about his performance thus far and no one seemed to want to. You may feel that every bit of negativity hurts our chances but I'm not seeing much praise or positivity. There has to be some "wins" that can be discussed around here.
    There's an intense focus on Republicans, which I obviously understand the reason for, but there's very little discussion about the current president who is still dealing with a pandemic, an increase in prices on pretty much everything across the board, and now a war.
    I think over all he has done a pretty decent job. I think he is doing fine with the Russia invasion and I dont know how he or anyone else could handle it different.

He has some wins. The big problem is that the losses have been big and have been public.

I am going to vote for him again and not in a just to keep Trump away. But because I think he has earned it.

Biden was in such a bad place from the start with a Congress where half of them have gone so off the rails it is not even a joking matter at this point, and 2 people in his own party shooting things down.

Like I said he has done well. But people and the news talk about the fails because it is a bigger talking point for so many. But to say we cant talk about the bad and only the good like some say because we dont want Trump back is not fair. People have the right to talk about the things that bother them about their president. And lets be honest at this point there are no undecided voters. You ever vote for racists, Bigots, and Hate or you dont. But no one at this point is undecided.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I think the biggest problem is people had way too many expectations for Biden after he was elected. I heard so many people "Now we will fix things. Now there will be change." Voter protection, Police Reform were going to be passed easy. People didnt stop and look at just how bad the GOP has gotten and how they were going to black everything. And the two Dems that blocked the BB didnt help because it gave the GOP the talking point of "Well his own party hates it." And Mitch acted like for weeks he would vote for it in a second if those darn Dems wernt standing in the way.

Biden has gotten a good amount done considering what he has faced and the road blocks in his way. The man is really trying. Some times trying to hard to get the GOP to work with him when it is clear they wont. Biden is a decent man that has really tried to and is still trying to do what he feels is best for this country. Sadly the other side is in love with a guy and a party who can say 100 percent the opposite.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

But I still think thwtGuardian was putting across his views in a totally confusing way.

Indeed I still don’t know his views on the two specific points I raised. Or yours for that matter!
    My views are treat them like people. Which means not limiting their rights, not punishing their families for supporting them. Everything else is pretty inconsequential.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

New Details Flesh Out How Project Veritas Acquired Ashley Biden’s Diary

The right-wing group placed a deceptive call to the president’s daughter a month before Election Day, weeks after her stolen diary was shown around at a Trump fund-raiser. Ms. Biden had in fact kept a diary the previous year as she recovered from addiction.

A month before the 2020 election, Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s daughter, Ashley, received a call from a man offering help. Striking a friendly tone, the man said that he had found a diary that he believed belonged to Ms. Biden and that he wanted to return it to her.

Ms. Biden had in fact kept a diary the previous year as she recovered from addiction and had stored it and some other belongings at a friend’s home in Florida where she had been living until a few months earlier. The diary’s highly personal contents, if publicly disclosed, could prove an embarrassment or a distraction to her father at a critical moment in the campaign.

She agreed with the caller to send someone to retrieve the diary the next day.

But Ms. Biden was not dealing with a good Samaritan.

The man on the other end of the phone worked for Project Veritas, a conservative group that had become a favorite of President Donald J. Trump, according to interviews with people familiar with the sequence of events. From a conference room at the group’s headquarters in Westchester County, N.Y., surrounded by other top members of the group, the caller was seeking to trick Ms. Biden into confirming the authenticity of the diary, which Project Veritas was about to purchase from two intermediaries for $40,000.

I think the SC hearings are going to be scary in two ways.

One there will be some members of the GOP that will put their racism of full display. I have already heard so many people butchering Ketanji Brown Jackson's name and then laughing about it and joking. Like its her fault and she needs to change her name so the people on Fox News can get it right. And there will be many more examples.

And the second scary thing. After she is confirmed there are going to be the GOP members who talk up how on their watch a Female POC got confirmed and put on the court and if they doesnt prove that they and the party are not racist nothing will. And there will be so many who buy that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think over all he has done a pretty decent job. I think he is doing fine with the Russia invasion and I dont know how he or anyone else could handle it different.

He has some wins. The big problem is that the losses have been big and have been public.

I am going to vote for him again and not in a just to keep Trump away. But because I think he has earned it.

Biden was in such a bad place from the start with a Congress where half of them have gone so off the rails it is not even a joking matter at this point, and 2 people in his own party shooting things down.

Like I said he has done well. But people and the news talk about the fails because it is a bigger talking point for so many. But to say we cant talk about the bad and only the good like some say because we dont want Trump back is not fair. People have the right to talk about the things that bother them about their president. And lets be honest at this point there are no undecided voters. You ever vote for racists, Bigots, and Hate or you dont. But no one at this point is undecided.
    Is it now looking increasingly likely that he will stand then, next time round? I thought general opinion at start of his Presidency that he’d stick to one term.

Is it now looking increasingly likely that he will stand then, next time round? I thought general opinion at start of his Presidency that he’d stick to one term.
    I have no clue if he will run again to be honest. The answer seems to change every day depending on what new station you are watching and what "Insider" the talking head has a guest.

I am not sure who the Dems will run if not Biden. There is not a stand out person. If he aint going to run he needs to come out and say it. if not in public then to party officials who can start grooming the number 2. I know people name drop Harris a lot. but she is not wowing anyone. And if you want the racist sexist base to turn out full force run an African American female next to Trump. I am not saying that should prevent her from running but it is something the Dems have to plan on.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    My views are treat them like people. Which means not limiting their rights, not punishing their families for supporting them. Everything else is pretty inconsequential.
    So specifically in regard to:-

1/ Unlimited right to participation in elite womens sports

2/ Unlimited right to self declare gender

You’re saying both are inconsequential?

Or you’re saying you fully support both?

Or you’re dodging the above 2 questions?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have no clue if he will run again to be honest. The answer seems to change every day depending on what new station you are watching and what "Insider" the talking head has a guest.

I am not sure who the Dems will run if not Biden. There is not a stand out person. If he aint going to run he needs to come out and say it. if not in public then to party officials who can start grooming the number 2. I know people name drop Harris a lot. but she is not wowing anyone. And if you want the racist sexist base to turn out full force run an African American female next to Trump. I am not saying that should prevent her from running but it is something the Dems have to plan on.
    Cheers.

My own gut feeling is that Dems have to hope that The Donald’s health doesn’t collapse (or more cheerful thought…go to jail) because I think a young personable moderate Republican would stand a better chance of winning than the Donald.

(As long he was taken out of the race in a way that didn’t alienate his support base. I actually guess that’s one reason the Dems won’t really push for criminal charges against the Donald. That would really motivate the Donald supporters to support any Republican candidate.)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

So specifically in regard to:-

1/ Right to participation in elite womens sports

2/ Unlimited right to self declare gender

You’re saying both are inconsequential?

Or you’re saying you fully support both?

Or you’re dodging the above 2 questions?
    Those things are very small in comparison to the right to stay with their families and just plain not be treated like second class citizens, yeah. I don't see why that's hard to see.

In regards to going to women's prisons, like the bathroom laws here in the states that seems like pretty much a complete non-issue manufactured to bash the trans-community. How many trans prisoners are there? I've seen it stated that it's just eleven in all the prisons in Scotland. Is that really going to place a burden on how they already police their inmates? On top of that are they truly more likely to commit acts aggression while in prison than other prisoners who were born female? Are there really likely large numbers of convicts changing their identification to get an "easier" time in jail or to commit sex crimes against female prisoners?

It's simple scare mongering targeted at an already marginalized group, and not even well done at that, like the bathroom bills here its very obvious what the actual goal is: dehumanize trans-gendered people. "Look at them, they're scary! They'll commit all kinds of rape if we don't repress them! Think of the children! Think of those poor fragile women!" It would be silly if it wasn't so dangerous.

As for professional sports, I think there could be some conversation about how long a person should have to have identified as that sex in order to compete. Someone who transitioned as a teenager and went through hormone therapy isn't likely to have any competitive advantage as an adult, but say someone like Labron James decided to throw on a wig, identify as female and have a career in the WNBA? Yeah, that wouldn't sit right with me...but as I said, small potatoes. Not only is someone having a possibly unfair advantage in a sport not even close to a life or death issue, but like the bathroom bill/prison issue how often is it likely to really happen? So, yeah not worth really thinking too much about until the basic needs are protected.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-20-2022 at 03:41 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

They amount to a non-issue in the America that I currently find myself living in.