Page 281 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 1812312712772782792802812822832842852913313817811281 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Here is something to come out of the protests that I wasn't expecting:

Aunt Jemima brand to change name, remove image that Quaker says is 'based on a racial stereotype'
    And now, Mrs. Buttersworth is the sole bearer of the curse of being "The Syrup Lady".
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Member

I just got two bottles from the store this morning. Wonder if I oughta save one as a collector's item.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I would guess that it goes a little something like...

"Waiting to make some real money off of writing a tell-all..."
    She has a PhD in psychology, she won't starve. Not everybody is a horrible person.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    A disaster waiting to happen. It might work in many communities, but not everywhere. Whoever gets to decide who need to kicked out and who gets kicked out become the defacto "police" replacement and they may become magnet for criminals and gangs to take control of so they can do their business out of sight of authorities. If the community itself can't kick them out they'll become the defacto police in that space, organised crime is really good at taking advantage of power vacuums in communities.
    Policed zones are also disasters waiting to happen in the US. Pick your poison.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    And the police are not the only way to enforce the law. "When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    And the police are not the only way to enforce the law. "When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
    Basically this

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    Basically this
    It's also an experiment in neighborly generosity, or a redefining of security as giving to each other.

Most people don't aspire to the Alex Jones' "IMMA GUNNA EAT MY NEIGHBOR!" but would rather build a community that helps each other.

Something that was once truly American that has been lost for decades.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It's also an experiment in neighborly generosity, or a redefining of security as giving to each other.

Most people don't aspire to the Alex Jones' "IMMA GUNNA EAT MY NEIGHBOR!" but would rather build a community that helps each other.

Something that was once truly American that has been lost for decades.
    Less "THE FROGS ARE MAKING US GAY"

More "Hey Howdily Ho Neighbor"

Fantastic Member

I already posted this on the YouTube-thread. But I guess I could share it here as well. It's a video from 2018 that addresses some of the long standing issues of police violence beyond the institutional racism.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I'm curious to hear about the non-police methods of dealing with sex trafficking, arms dealing, and the sale of hard drugs to minors.

There was an interesting CNN feature on how the "defund the police" activists would deal with some specific situations we currently rely on the police for: traffic stops, domestic violence or school shootings.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/us...rnd/index.html

It did not fill me with confidence about the success of this worldview, based on an overly optimistic view of humanity.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Yep, that's Matt Gaetz for you.

@RepSwalwell: "Can anyone on the Republican side say unequivocally black lives matter?"

Gaetz: "Unequivocally, all lives matter."

Intermediary

he's such a furball

In his defense, he was a little tipsy when he said that.

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm curious to hear about the non-police methods of dealing with sex trafficking, arms dealing, and the sale of hard drugs to minors.

There was an interesting CNN feature on how the "defund the police" activists would deal with some specific situations we currently rely on the police for: traffic stops, domestic violence or school shootings.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/us...rnd/index.html

It did not fill me with confidence about the success of this worldview, based on an overly optimistic view of humanity.
    FBI, ATF, and all the other law enforcement agencies that require serious education and training?