Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Real question- how good is Russia's Navy these days? I recall their Navy really started to fall apart after the fall of the Soviet Union- not enough funds to maintain their ships, or crews to man them. And looking at Russia's Army in Ukraine, you start to get the impression that the only thing about them you need to fear are the numbers, not how well trained they are (or aren't). Frankly, it seems that the biggest worry about Russia is their nukes- which is a large and legitimate fear.
    And that’s why world leaders, including Biden have been tiptoeing around Putin and so far have refused to establish a no-fly zone in Ukraine, fearful that, in his paranoia, he might go ahead and unleash armageddon.

America has a history of advocating regime change (and instigating it or supporting it at times, usually to the detriment of the people that would be directly impacted). So they probably don't want the country to think they are trying to do that again with Russia- especially when there are so many other things they want the government to be doing right now (like tackling inflation).

That said, it annoys me to know end how the Republicans are jumping on Biden for his remarks, when less than a month ago a sitting US Senator flat out called for Putin to be assassinated.
    I don’t take Qpublicans seriously with their hypocritical rhetoric as they’re all about being on the opposite side of ANY issue Biden is on. If he were to say that breathing is vital to the prosperity of Americans, GQPers would waste no time going on Faux News to contradict that view by saying breathing is bad for people. That’s how moronic the right wing crowd is today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't watch awards shows, so I didn't know about the Will Smith/Chris Rock kerfluffle until I woke up this morning and checked my newsfeed. So much stupidity, on both sides. Sure, Rock went over the line with that joke as insulting a man's wife is seriously bad taste, but Smith screwed up too, going up onstage to bitchslap Rock, live in front of the world was foolishness on steroids when he could've confronted him AFTER the show. That nonsense is going to be all over the news and social media for days.
    As a fan of professional wrestling, I'm looking at the whole Chris Rock/Will Smith/Jada Pinkett-Smith thing as a "work." Chris Rock and Will Smith have both filmed enough Hollywood fight scenes to know how to fake a punch or a slap and fake being punched or slapped. And unless you were backstage and could see it from a different angle, you have no way of knowing if Will's hand really connected with Chris's face or not. Trust me, Chris and Will and Jada may milk this for awhile, but someday they will all be laughing about how they played the whole world.
    Watching television is not an activity.

And that’s why world leaders, including Biden have been tiptoeing around Putin and so far have refused to establish a no-fly zone in Ukraine, fearful that, in his paranoia, he might go ahead and unleash armageddon.

I don’t take Qpublicans seriously with their hypocritical rhetoric as they’re all about being on the opposite side of ANY issue Biden is on. If he were to say that breathing is vital to the prosperity of Americans, GQPers would waste no time going on Faux News to contradict that view by saying breathing is bad for people. That’s how moronic the right wing crowd is today.
    I've been saying for a few years now that if a Democratic president was to give a speech before Congress asking for more money for suicide prevention there would be at least 3 gunshots among Republican House members before the speech was over.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    There is already eh "Diversity at the Oscars." BS talk happening with the racist idiots because of the Will Smith Chris Rock nonsense.
    I remember the whole "Oscars So White" thing happening because there were two or three films up for awards that featured heavily black casts that were critically lauded, but the Oscars were honoring the only white people involved in the films and ONLY those white people. There isn't a way to come out looking good from that.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    As a fan of professional wrestling, I'm looking at the whole Chris Rock/Will Smith/Jada Pinkett-Smith thing as a "work." Chris Rock and Will Smith have both filmed enough Hollywood fight scenes to know how to fake a punch or a slap and fake being punched or slapped. And unless you were backstage and could see it from a different angle, you have no way of knowing if Will's hand really connected with Chris's face or not. Trust me, Chris and Will and Jada may milk this for awhile, but someday they will all be laughing about how they played the whole world.
    You too?!? Yeah, I was thinking, "work", and wondering how long they practiced that move, as it looked rather real. Then I saw it in slo-mo, heard what Smith yelled after,, saw his face and Rock's, and realized it was real.

My observation is that Smith knew where he was, and how jokes are often made at the expense of the attendees. He did seem to laugh initially, until his wife made that face indicating she wasn't amused. Then he went up there.

I thought so at first, but then I saw the uncensored footage, and saw a slow-mo clip that clearly showed Will's hand making contact with Chris's face.

Plus, the point has been made that it makes no sense for this to be a work, as all it does is sully Will Smith's reputation. This is going to follow him like a cloud for years to come. The only person that benefits is possible Chris Rock, because he looks like the bigger man by not pressing charges.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I thought the same as well, that it was all an act, but then, I wondered, what was the payoff? Answer: there wasn’t one. That means it was all too real.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

And the other damaging thing that make me know this is real is how people are reacting because of the fact that Smith and Rock are black. Both have been very vocal in their careers about Black people not having enough of a chance or exposer at the Oscars. How black people are often passed up. I dont see them doing something to damage that just for an act.

I am already hearing like I said before the comments about Diversity at the Oscars and this is the result. The jokes of Is this the Oscars or the BET music awards? And how this is such a bad look for black people and black actors. So if this was a fake on their part it is a pretty shitty fake because of the fall out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I thought the same as well, that it was all an act, but then, I wondered, what was the payoff? Answer: there wasn’t one. That means it was all too real.
    The payoff is ....this is the most interesting thing the Oscars has done in years. Quick...beyond the Will Smith/Chris Rock situation....without looking it up , who won Best Supporting Actress this year ? ...

I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't come out years from now that the 2 worked this segment up to create a "moment" for the Oscars. To make people discuss it and get people discussing this years Oscars and next years too.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

I came away from that with respect for Smith's slap. Watch that thing, he plants, twists his waist for power, and has follow through. I'm also impressed with Rock, who took that thing like a pro, never flinching, and never touched his face after. That gave him the win in my book, that supreme cool when Smith lost his. It was...weird with those folks in the audience laughing nervously, not sure what they were seeing.

One thing's for sure, those envelope guys are off the hook now...

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The payoff is ....this is the most interesting thing the Oscars has done in years. Quick...beyond the Will Smith/Chris Rock situation....without looking it up , who won Best Supporting Actress this year ? ...

I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't come out years from now that the 2 worked this segment up to create a "moment" for the Oscars. To make people discuss it and get people discussing this years Oscars and next years too.
    Ariana DeBose. I know because I thought she did an amazing job in a movie I didnt really care for. What is sad is that she is the first Openly Bi Female of Color to win that award and it is over shadowed and not talked about like it should be because of the slap heard round the world.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I thought so at first, but then I saw the uncensored footage, and saw a slow-mo clip that clearly showed Will's hand making contact with Chris's face.

Plus, the point has been made that it makes no sense for this to be a work, as all it does is sully Will Smith's reputation. This is going to follow him like a cloud for years to come. The only person that benefits is possible Chris Rock, because he looks like the bigger man by not pressing charges.
    I just read that Chris Rock also has asbergers, which makes it difficult for him to understand nonverbal signals. Dunno if that played into things here. Ugly situation no matter what. On the one hand, I'd defend my wife no matter what so I understand wanting to hit someone for a hurtful insult. I mean, basically your manliness is challenged if someone insults your wife while you are right there. But then is it right to get physical in response to words?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Doctors have begun seeing a sharp rise in the number of premature births in some areas of Ukraine, as the conflict enters its second month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60891846

Iryna Kondratova, the medical director in charge of Polina's care, told me premature births had jumped to three times their normal rate at her Kharkiv clinic, and now account for 50% of all deliveries.

"Infections, lack of medical help, bad nutrition: war creates a risk of premature birth," Dr Kondratova says. "Our premature birth rate was already high, because we had a lot of patients from Donetsk and Luhansk.

"In conflict zones, women spend a lot of time in crowded basements, where infections are active. And it's also harder for women to reach medical help if they need it."

Hackers have published an order from the Russian Defense Ministry to create fake videos about the Armed Forces

https://hindustannewshub.com/russia-...-armed-forces/

The international hacking group Anonymous has published a scanned copy of the order of the so-called Russian Defense Minister Dmitry Bulgakov to prepare fake videos in which “Ukrainian soldiers” allegedly mock “Russian prisoners of war.”

This was reported by the Public.

“Create and distribute a series of videos demonstrating the inhumane treatment of Ukrainian servicemen and nationalist groups in Ukraine in relation to prisoners who have expressed their desire to be taken prisoner,” the document reads.

The order also orders to refute the fact of involvement of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in the military service.

Bulgakov also orders to attach baseless allegations to these fakes about the Ukrainian military’s violation of the Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.

The order was issued and signed on March 21.
    Bear in mind, there have already been records of Russian soldiers torturing Ukrainian civilians. But of course, accusing the other side of what they are doing is Russia's n.1 strategy.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I just read that Chris Rock also has asbergers, which makes it difficult for him to understand nonverbal signals. Dunno if that played into things here. Ugly situation no matter what. On the one hand, I'd defend my wife no matter what so I understand wanting to hit someone for a hurtful insult. I mean, basically your manliness is challenged if someone insults your wife while you are right there. But then is it right to get physical in response to words?
    Of course, it wasn’t right to hit the guy.

It’s feeble…Will Smith is 53 for goodness sake, his wife was in no physical danger…he wasn’t protecting her in any meaningful way.

He’s a professional actor…his first reaction surely should have been to just speak up, point out the remarks were in poor taste.

I keep reading and hearing the comments online. Will Smith was protecting his woman! Chris Rock should have beat his ass!

Chris Rock handled it very well. He was hit by another man on live tv during on of the biggest entertainment nights of the year. He took it like a champ and then made a joke about it.

Will Smith attacked a grown man over a bad joke then sat down and ran his mouth some more.

Then when he said sorry it was to the Academy because lets be honest I think he was worried about his standing in future movies.

It was a great night for a lot of people and movies but none of that matters because all anyone is talking about is Will Smith.

He showed himself to be immature and weak in this.