Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Rather common: during the Brexit negotiations, we learnt that the British people thought they singlehandedly won WW2…

Edit: And the Americans tend to forget the USSR role in the defeat of the Nazis, too…
    Germany beat Germany with starting a war we couldn't win, and going into russia a terrain that was just too cold, and the Army wasn't prepared for that.

I heard that the organization of the elections didn’t help the opposition party…
    It didn't help that opposition was 6 parties accross the spectrum allying together, from greens to far-right party. And that Orban has reportedly manipulated the voting system (though I don't have details about that one).
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Desantis and other GOP members want to go after Disney over their opposition to the Dont Say Gay Law. I guess the only time A member of the GOP will go after a corporation is if they speak out against bigotry and hate.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022...-law-criticism
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Desantis and other GOP members want to go after Disney over their opposition to the Dont Say Gay Law. I guess the only time A member of the GOP will go after a corporation is if they speak out against bigotry and hate.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022...-law-criticism
    Going after a company that’s the biggest tourist attraction in the state, and one of the largest in the country, bar none, one that brings in billions worth of income each and every year isn’t all that smart. But, hey, no one said Qpublicans were smart, and isn’t it ironic that right wingers who scream bloody murder about “cancel culture” by us godless liberals are THE most rampant practitioners of canceling anything and everything they don’t like?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Rather common: during the Brexit negotiations, we learnt that the British people thought they singlehandedly won WW2…

Edit: And the Americans tend to forget the USSR role in the defeat of the Nazis, too…
    You mean helping the Nazis start the war in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    It didn't help that opposition was 6 parties accross the spectrum allying together, from greens to far-right party. And that Orban has reportedly manipulated the voting system (though I don't have details about that one).
    One of my friends is Hungarian.

I’ll ask her sometime if she really thinks voting system is massively biased. (I know from talking to her that she definitely thinks there is some bias. For example, it’s been impossible for her to vote this time because she’s out of Hungary till 6th of this month, and the Hungarian line is very against allowing postal votes.)

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Here in the former Eastern bloc we have been glorifying them for "liberating" us for half a century. How they also looted and raped civilians was conveniently hushed, apart from what people told their descendants at home. In the online place I frequent here, there are many people now noting how many of their grandparents often said they feared Soviet soldiers more than German. So the atrocities commited in Ukraine now are not that much of a surprise, the Russian mentality has apparently not evolved at all in the past 80 years.
    Slava Ukraini!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    One of my friends is Hungarian.

I’ll ask her sometime if she really thinks voting system is massively biased. (I know from talking to her that she definitely thinks there is some bias. For example, it’s been impossible for her to vote this time because she’s out of Hungary till 6th of this month, and the Hungarian line is very against allowing postal votes.)
    From the NY Times:

Hungary is the purest example of a democracy sliding toward autocracy. After taking power in 2010 with a legitimate election victory, Orban set about changing the rules to remain in power. He has stacked the courts with allies and used lawsuits to quash critical media coverage. He has aggressively changed election rules, as my colleagues Matt Apuzzo and Benjamin Novak reported.

In each of the past two national elections, Orban’s party, Fidesz, received less than half the votes, yet still won a two-thirds supermajority in Parliament. After yesterday’s election, Fidesz appears to be on track to win 135 seats of the 199-seat parliament.

Orban has overseen a government that combines cultural nationalism, economic populism and high-level corruption. His policies have lifted the incomes of many Hungarians, including in the more rural areas that make up his base, while stoking fears of immigrants and, more recently, L.G.B.T.Q. people.

All of which aligns him with Putin. In recent weeks, Orban has tried to cast himself as a neutral peacemaker in Ukraine, knowing that many Hungarians have long feared Russia. But he has mostly taken Putin’s side.

Hungary has not joined Western Europe’s efforts to provide Ukraine with weapons, and he has opposed efforts within the E.U. to ban the import of Russian energy. Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelensky, yesterday described Orban as “virtually the only one in Europe to openly support Mr. Putin.”
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Liberal fascists fighting against dictatorships... I mean democracy and conservative values?
    And they're both Jews. In Eastern Europe, at least, that's a factor, too.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Bowman told the outlet that he should be able to answer questions if a student has them. “If a kid wants honesty, I don’t think I should be forbidden from providing that,” he stated. In this case, Bowman says he told students that the group behind the bracelet, First Capital Pride, provided resources for teens who may be living with mental health distress, suicidal ideation, or need extra support via community events and inclusion efforts.

“When approached by students who expressed a certain point of view,” Bowman recalled to the Scioto Valley Guardian. “I happily slid the band off my arm, offered it to the student, and explained that First Capital Pride offered support groups for teens who may be struggling, are suicidal, are ostracized, and need support.”

Now, Bowman, who was working as a substitute teacher in the Huntington Local School District, is no longer teaching in the area. According to Superintendent Peter Ruby, the district made the decision after they received reports about the Pride bracelet situation.

“While we recognize there are diverse points of view on this matter,” Ruby said in a statement to WSYX. “This policy exists for the purpose of ensuring all students feel comfortable in the classroom.”

In speaking to CNN, Ruby alleged Bowman spoke to the class about “political and religious” topics in addition to LGBTQ+ issues, but it’s unclear what those were. The outlet asked if the district considers LGBTQ+ issues to be religious or political, and Ruby again said Bowman spoke about religious and political topics in addition to queer ones, but it’s again unclear what those were specifically.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...high-schoolers

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I just meant that:
    The operation opened up the Eastern Front, in which more forces were committed than in any other theater of war in history. The area saw some of the world's largest battles, most horrific atrocities, and highest casualties (for Soviet and Axis forces alike), all of which influenced the course of World War II and the subsequent history of the 20th century.
    Operation Barbarossa

History shouldn’t be a political tool…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Going after a company that’s the biggest tourist attraction in the state, and one of the largest in the country, bar none, one that brings in billions worth of income each and every year isn’t all that smart. But, hey, no one said Qpublicans were smart, and isn’t it ironic that right wingers who scream bloody murder about “cancel culture” by us godless liberals are THE most rampant practitioners of canceling anything and everything they don’t like?
    Also ironic that this is coming from the party who always says there's too much regulation of corporations.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    And they're both Jews. In Eastern Europe, at least, that's a factor, too.
    Yeah, I got that that's probably what Tendrin meant. I was replying in terms of what Orban and his supporters would say. Because antisemitism is officialy over in these parts.
    Slava Ukraini!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Also ironic that this is coming from the party who always says there's too much regulation of corporations.
    I think part of the reason they're going after Disney is because Disney faltered in coming to any clear stance early and appears vulnerable to them. Apple is reportedly much more assertively and aggressively making its stance against such laws clear, and there's been nary a peep on the scale of Disney's backlash.

Qpublican forces want weak opponents, and shy away from any actual strength. It's the weird truth of fascism; it folds pretty easy in the face of actual opposition, because it naturally coddles and neuters some of its own supporters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

What is amazing is how many people on the right are still mad at Biden for calling Putin a War Criminal. Even after the news came out about the civilians they found killed. The ones bound and murdered by Russian soldiers. Yet people want Biden to quit saying it because of Deescalation.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.