Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    When you go to a concert, sporting event, or restaurant, and you don't feel safe because other people aren't wearing masks, you can leave. But if the airplane is already in the air when you realize how many people are choosing not to wear masks, you have nowhere to go. You're trapped. That was the real reason for the mandate.
    I do hope that if somebody developed symptoms after a flight on one of the planes where they complied with the judges decision IN FLIGHT will sue the pants of the airline and whoever made the decision on board. Medical cause, psychological distress, possible cost of lifelong disability from long covid.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Coming back to this...

Here is pretty solid "Basics 101..." breakdown on why this take on it is taking your eye off of the actual ball.

Yeah. Thanks but no thanks. I have seen enough of Krystal Ball's opinions for the rest of my life. If she is who is feeding you your talking points, that explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    This is how fascism works. You could say it's a tale as old as time.
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Yeah. Thanks but no thanks. I have seen enough of Krystal Ball's opinions for the rest of my life. If she is who is feeding you your talking points, that explains a lot.
    "I have right around 'Zero...' idea what was even said, but allow me to tell you why what I have not seen was all wrong..."

There's a legitimate "Thanks, but not thanks..." here.

Just probably not the one that some folks seem to think is the right one.

I do hope that if somebody developed symptoms after a flight on one of the planes where they complied with the judges decision IN FLIGHT will sue the pants of the airline and whoever made the decision on board. Medical cause, psychological distress, possible cost of lifelong disability from long covid.
    Sort of assumes that what is in blue is where the folks in question will wind up, no?

While I still think that it is too soon, personally?

I'm not so sure that folks who even actually wind up catching a mild case during this stretch are going to be looking to sue.

Right or wrong, lots of folks are ready to take the training wheels off.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, what DeSantis is doing to Disney is a classic case of "laying down with dogs and waking up fleas".

Disney has donated money to the GOP all the while they (the GOP) had been spouting all sorts of madness.

No doubt what DeSantis is doing is practically unconstitutional (no joke, this is the sort of thing you see in totalitarian regimes around the world and I'm surprised there isn't more of a push back against what's happening in Florida) but a lot of so-called "woke corporations" have enabled the GOP for years now, the chickens are coming home to roost.
    I bet the background to how Disney got agreement to operate in a very large tract of land free from a wide range of local regulations is interesting.

Patently the reasons DeSantis is doing this stink (as well as the way he’s doing it), but the whole arrangement does look deeply suspect.

And yes, pretty sure a whole series of corporations that project a “soft cuddly” image operate in a substantially different way.

I’ve said very often that I’d like to see all big corporations have to publish a sex, gender, race profile for their boards, and other employees, level by level.

We’d soon see then how enlightened the likes of Apple, Disney, big banks really are in their employment practices.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-21-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Sort of assumes that what is in blue is where the folks in question will wind up, no?

I'm not so sure that folks who even actually wind up catching a mild case during this stretch are going to be looking to sue.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "possible" in my post?

This is an attempt to "cleanse" Florida of all trans youth. It's pure fascism.
    Exactly that. But, sure, let's hear what Abigal Shrier has to say, not like she didn't help enable all of this. She's a *very* reasonable journalist, after all. I'm sure demanding the erasure of *all* trans youth wasn't on her agenda and she just was Very Concerned about the possibility that their existence might spread like some disease that would require 'sanitation'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Exactly that. But, sure, let's hear what Abigal Shrier has to say, not like she didn't help enable all of this. She's a *very* reasonable journalist, after all. I'm sure demanding the erasure of *all* trans youth wasn't on her agenda and she just was Very Concerned about the possibility that their existence might spread like some disease that would require 'sanitation'.
    I find it very hard to stay civil while they are literally killing the children.

So why I am really quite unhappy about this new trend of journalists sitting on information about the insurrection until they can publish a book, I'm wondering if the revelations (and existence of tapes) that McCarthy lied when he said he never pressured Trump to resign or directly blamed him for the attacks on the Capitol will have any effect on the elections. Is it too late for a faithful Trump follower to primary Kevin?

Missouri is looking into it's own version of this. Nothing written yet, everything's still in discussion, but we've got a lot of Anti-Trans legislation in the pipeline here.

https://www.wisn.com/article/chicago...ponry/39742651

Chicago police: Milwaukee man stopped by mayor's security, found with 'military-grade weaponry'

A Milwaukee man is facing charges after being stopped by a member of the security team for Chicago's mayor.

Chicago police found a pair of handguns, a laser sight attachment, a silencer, and metal-piercing bullets.

"This is not the type of weapon you carry for personal protection," retired Deputy U.S. Marshal Ed Farrell said. "This is the type of weapon you go to war with and you're looking to inflict maximum damage."

A member of Mayor Lori Lightfoot's security team noticed the outline of a gun in Treveon Broadway's bag.

Sources told ABC7 in Chicago the mayor's security detail was parked right outside a Shake Shack.

Lightfoot had just left a celebration honoring former Chicago mayor Harold Washington and stopped at a restaurant on the top floor of the Chicago Athletic Association right next door.

Police arrested another Milwaukee man that was with him, but that man is not facing charges.

Broadway is facing two felony weapons charges.

He was released from custody after his aunt posted $1,500 for his bond.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Missouri is looking into it's own version of this. Nothing written yet, everything's still in discussion, but we've got a lot of Anti-Trans legislation in the pipeline here.
    Of course, every aspect of the way we lead our lives is political to some degree.

But how do issues like this become party political??

Transparently this is an issue where you’d think the whole emphasis would be about helping people who feel they may want to transition, then helping them if they decide it’s the right thing to do.

It’s just common sense then to have that led by medical and other social care professionals. It really baffles me why anyone would want to take a different approach.

Am I missing something obvious? Or it just that “common sense is very uncommon”. (As one of my old bosses put it.)

Astonishing Member

Isnt it exactly that, what is wrong with our world? The airline allows you to sit there without your mask, but the responsibility is still yours. You could wear a mask anytime, anywhere, its not forbidden.

So, sue an airline because your are too dumb to protect yourself?

Hm...