Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The McDonald's suit wasn't actually seeking damages beyond the cost of medical bills. The millions were awarded by the jury as a result of how the company acted during the trial. LegalEagle on YouTube goes over this case (and 4 others) as part of a video on frivolous lawsuits that actually weren't.
    Yeah, that case is widely misunderstood.

Most people who are dismissive of it didn't realize that she had third degree burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    This is also something I agree with the objection to, and I'm surprised that people who regard civility and respectfulness so highly that they object to liberal congressional leadership being disparaging in defending personal friends have not raised an objection to this once.
    I'm guessing this is a reference to me.

If someone wants my views on a topic, they could ask it. I have given my view before that on this specific issue the right is wrong in its rhetoric.

If I hadn't said anything, it could be that I was busy. There shouldn't be any hint of an obligation of a hobbyist to spend more time on a message board. We can't be expected to discuss every topic, and we should be careful about negative inferences, because that approach applies just as well against people on your side.

I made more comments about liberal congressional leadership disparaging people because there was disagreement on that which leads to more back and forths. There's less likely to be a disagreement about the circumstances under which adults should be called groomers, so there's not going to be a back and forth.

I'd like to see these studies if you don't mind, to make sure that what's being represented isn't being misrepresented by missing context or other data. As there is no mention of if boys are similarly increasing in numbers or if the general increase of acceptance of LGBT since 2000 has affected the confidence in students to report these things.

I disagree strongly in your view of the Right regarding schools as they are actively trying to rewrite how history is studied and are freaking out about how math textbooks are indoctrinating kids into CRT. Why even have history courses if it's all supposed to be left to the family? As a teacher I'm sure you understand how people have to understand context and how to interpret facts in order to truly understand them and not just regurgitate things they memorized, and I'm also sure that you have an inkling that religious schools and right-leaning home-schoolers are presenting wildly inaccurate interpretations of basic facts like Evolution for one example. If you intend to answer questions regarding this accurately and dispassionately I'd recommend not glossing over such damning evidence that your interpretation is wrong.
    The study was mentioned in an article in the Week.

https://theweek.com/life/1006253/the...er-trans-teens

It is actually relevant that there is a significant increase in females identifying as trans, rather than males. It's a widely known feature, and explains the subtitle and emphasis of Abigail Shrier's book.

About 0.6 percent of American adults identify as transgender, the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law has estimated. But in recent years, vastly more young people are seeking treatment for gender dysphoria, teen girls in particular. In surveys by the American College Health Association, the number of students brought up as girls identifying as transgender soared from 1 in 2,000 in 2008 to 1 in 20. There are now at least 50 clinics in the U.S. to treat young people with gender dysphoria; in 2007, there was just one. The growing number of children being prescribed puberty blockers and hormone treatments has become a political issue:
    Terminology very quickly gets confusing here. I would use terms like boy, girl, man and woman to refer to gender, while male and female refer to sex. Your comment about there being "no mention of if boys are similarly increasing in numbers" is technically inappropriate, as you seem to be asking about people born male, whereas in this context boys would refer to anyone who sees themselves that way.

It is possible that the entire increase of young adults and minors identifying as trans is exclusively due to greater acceptance, that 99 out of 100 (this number may be a bit low if there are still closeted trans people out there) trans boys didn't have the right guidance and support in 2008.

Regarding your question about history, and you're asking for my understanding of other people's views, conservatives would generally support some kind of shared understanding of the nation's past, although asking to get more detailed is going to result in in-fighting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    That could easily be proven if several people get infected on the flight. As is very likely to happen with omicron, seeing as how infectious it is.
    Even if people were infected on the flight, how would you confirm that it wasn't because of poor mask habits at other stages?

There is a bit of a test as we may be able to determine whether we can trace Covid spread to planes where these announcements were made more than to other planes with similar variables. I suspect one potential problem is that people will pay more attention to the plane where pilots made the announcements than to planes on the same route the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Very true.

But which policies were unpopular that fueled the current inflation?
    The policies that fueled inflation may have been quite popular, especially when it comes to modern spending.

I understand the sentiment that certain changes in our society can be a shock. The education point is moot though because parents are already part of the process of deciding what is taught in schools. It is incredibly dishonest and disingenuous when I hear things like "parents rights bills" when the school curriculum is largely approved by the state and local education boards which are in most cases elected. The entire discussion has been framed like teachers alone get to decide what is taught in schools without societal involvement which is false.

Regarding gender affirmation, I strongly feel that the discussion should be led by medical professionals and some sort of consensus needs to be reached. The American Medical Association came out years ago and flat out said that homosexuality was not a mental disorder but their silence regarding gender affirmation is a little concerning. I say this because I don't feel the discussion should be led by politicians liberal or conservative so when laws are passed that effectively restricts gender affirmation treatment, that completely rubs me the wrong way because if there's no medical consensus on the issue one or the other, it's not for politicians to decide what is right or wrong. This is just conservatives attacking a minority to gain support among the more bigoted people in society. Same with the abortion issue (regardless of what one feels about it, the state shouldn't restrict it).

And seriously, the GOP hiding behind "kids" to pass all sort of laws is incredibly creepy and I don't say that to be hyperbolic. Calling people "groomers" because they oppose laws is incredibly dangerous because it suggests that some conservatives aren't legitimately concerned about child abuse and are only using the terminology to score political points. Maybe there's something I don't know but how does restricting the teaching of gender or sexuality which isn't being taught in schools to kids at all protect them?
    In the United States there are many jurisdictions handling things in different ways, so while parents always have a say, that can vary a bit.

These are big and unsettled questions about the limits on teachers. Society does have a say as well, although while this may help protect the interests of centrists over conservative parents and organizations, it can be mobilized against the left.

In most cases, Republicans and conservative activists are worried about the kids. They may be going about it the wrong way, but they think they're in the right.

I don't care for the grooming rhetoric. I generally think really sensitive terms about outrageous behavior like grooming or pedophelia should be used accurately and that's not how it's used in this case.

The main argument would be that what they see as grooming is teachers trying to subvert the expectations of parents when it comes to developing awareness of lifestyles.

I've tried to fight against category creep, but it seems that battle is lost.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

In most cases, Republicans and conservative activists are worried about the kids. .
    That's a lie.

I'm guessing this is a reference to me.

If someone wants my views on a topic, they could ask it. I have given my view before that on this specific issue the right is wrong in its rhetoric.

If I hadn't said anything, it could be that I was busy. There shouldn't be any hint of an obligation of a hobbyist to spend more time on a message board. We can't be expected to discuss every topic, and we should be careful about negative inferences, because that approach applies just as well against people on your side.

I made more comments about liberal congressional leadership disparaging people because there was disagreement on that which leads to more back and forths. There's less likely to be a disagreement about the circumstances under which adults should be called groomers, so there's not going to be a back and forth.
    You brought it up, and there was no disagreement here until you brought it up. Yet you have not brought up any of the many times GoP congressional leadership have claimed that people on the other side of an issue were lying and insulted them, which is odd if this issue caused you so much distress. Sadly I'm too used to seeing such double standards in politics, on both sides if a vast preponderance on the conservative side of things both locally and the little I am aware of from brief exposures to foreign politics here on this thread.

The study was mentioned in an article in the Week.

https://theweek.com/life/1006253/the...er-trans-teens

It is actually relevant that there is a significant increase in females identifying as trans, rather than males. It's a widely known feature, and explains the subtitle and emphasis of Abigail Shrier's book.

Terminology very quickly gets confusing here. I would use terms like boy, girl, man and woman to refer to gender, while male and female refer to sex. Your comment about there being "no mention of if boys are similarly increasing in numbers" is technically inappropriate, as you seem to be asking about people born male, whereas in this context boys would refer to anyone who sees themselves that way.

It is possible that the entire increase of young adults and minors identifying as trans is exclusively due to greater acceptance, that 99 out of 100 (this number may be a bit low if there are still closeted trans people out there) trans boys didn't have the right guidance and support in 2008.

Regarding your question about history, and you're asking for my understanding of other people's views, conservatives would generally support some kind of shared understanding of the nation's past, although asking to get more detailed is going to result in in-fighting.
    Rather than complain about my terminology, you could remember I was replying to:
    There are some sudden recent changes. One major statistic is that in surveys by the American College Health Association, the number of students brought up as girls identifying as transgender soared from 1 in 2,000 in 2008 to 1 in 20. You're going to have different responses to those changes depending on your earlier understanding on politics and culture.
    I do apologize if I have offended anyone regardless.

I tried my google fu earlier and again just now and I've not been able to find this study, just the mention here that you seem to be quoting and no mention of the males as a 'widely known feature'. Considering the strongly negative take TheWeek has, I feel it's even more necessary for a more impartial view of the info in question.

As for my bringing up history, it was pointing out that you were ignoring quite a bunch in order to say they were just interested in having schools teach how to read, write, and do math and leave everything else to the families. And as they are throwing out math books for undisclosed reasons including CRT they aren't even leaving those alone. It should be clear by now that they don't want all the facts taught, and they don't want kids to interpret them in ways they don't approve of even if left to do so impartially. Simply pointing out that homosexuality exists in school is being outlawed, and it's led to Disney getting flack for being decent enough to object to it.

Ultimate Member

In the United States there are many jurisdictions handling things in different ways, so while parents always have a say, that can vary a bit.

These are big and unsettled questions about the limits on teachers. Society does have a say as well, although while this may help protect the interests of centrists over conservative parents and organizations, it can be mobilized against the left.

In most cases, Republicans and conservative activists are worried about the kids. They may be going about it the wrong way, but they think they're in the right.

I don't care for the grooming rhetoric. I generally think really sensitive terms about outrageous behavior like grooming or pedophelia should be used accurately and that's not how it's used in this case.

The main argument would be that what they see as grooming is teachers trying to subvert the expectations of parents when it comes to developing awareness of lifestyles.

I've tried to fight against category creep, but it seems that battle is lost.
    I understand the greater thrust to protect children. I actually feel that society is kind of letting children down because the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" mindset does seem to be lost. I'm not saying that raising my child should be someone else's responsibility but we should be mindful of what we do, say and how we act in front of kids.

What I vehemently disagree with is people treating schools like they're silos and that kids are being indoctrinated against parents wishes particularly younger children. As far as I know, there's nowhere this is happening and there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence that this is happening on any reasonable scale for politicians to jump into it. To be clear, no one, liberal or conservative wants their kids to be taught about sex or sexuality and for that reason it is not happening. The only thing the bill in Florida does is prevent is stuff like gay teachers mentioning their partners in class or for gay kids to mention their sexuality in school, which beggars the question, does this really help or protect anyone? These laws are being drafted with the mindset that kids "are being turned LGBTIQ" and not that they are "born LGBTIQ" which is already a fundamental problem and is reflective of homophobic thinking. Worse still, it equates homosexuality to pedophilia which is really sickening on many levels.

As you've mentioned, school jurisdictions handle things differently. I honestly can't speak about how different jurisdictions handle school curriculums but I find it extremely hard to believe that teachers will teach stuff outside the state or local jurisdictions approved courses. And what makes the whole thing look rather dishonest is how the GOP controlled states are focused almost entirely on removing stuff that makes reference to actual US history of racism, that is really problematic because it looks like another attempt at re-writing history.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-22-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Ultimate Member

Hilariously, Disney has been stripped out of their "self-governing status" in Florida.

Talk about doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

What I find interesting about all this is how Disney has gone completely silent in the face of this. They've literally been bullied and they apparently don't even know how to react.

I know they will do something but its curious as to how they don't seem to be fighting for themselves. I suspect the real problem is the GOP ties within Disney are confused as to approach the issue.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-22-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    That's a lie.
    I don't think you believe this. I hope not.

Even if you have a really low impression of your political opponents, you should be willing to accept the way they'll justify actions to themselves. Protecting children is a common justification even for the wrong.

Legislators aren't against hormone therapy for teenagers because they secretly think it's a good policy but have some other ulterior motive. They'll use backwards reasoning to conclude that the policies they were going to support anyway are best for families and children.

I understand the greater thrust to protect children. I actually feel that society is kind of letting children down because the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" mindset does seem to be lost. I'm not saying that raising my child should be someone else's responsibility but we should be mindful of what we do, say and how we act in front of kids.

What I vehemently disagree with is people treating schools like they're silos and that kids are being indoctrinated against parents wishes particularly younger children. As far as I know, there's nowhere this is happening and there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence that this is happening on any reasonable scale for politicians to jump into it. To be clear, no one, liberal or conservative wants their kids to be taught about sex or sexuality and for that reason it is not happening. The only thing the bill in Florida does is prevent is stuff like gay teachers mentioning their partners in class or for gay kids to mention their sexuality in school, which beggars the question, does this really help or protect anyone? These laws are being drafted with the mindset that kids "are being turned LGBTIQ" and not that they are "born LGBTIQ" which is already a fundamental problem and is reflective of homophobic thinking. Worse still, it equates homosexuality to pedophilia which is really sickening on many levels.

As you've mentioned, school jurisdictions handle things differently. I honestly can't speak about how different jurisdictions handle school curriculums but I find it extremely hard to believe that teachers will teach stuff outside the state or local jurisdictions approved courses. And what makes the whole thing look rather dishonest is how the GOP controlled states are focused almost entirely on removing stuff that makes reference to actual US history of racism, that is really problematic because it looks like another attempt at re-writing history.
    The society questions get into other topics. A major distinction is that progressives are more likely to believe it takes a village (this was the title of Hillary Clinton's book) while conservatives are more likely to prefer some kind of mix (IE- it's more about institutions they opt into; it's the church and neighbors your parents trust rather than the village.)

The law in Florida could be better, and there is an argument that it's intentionally vague in order to chill speech. That said, there are some things that ordinary people may be concerned about that go beyond a teacher casually mentioning their partner in class. I posted this a few weeks ago, but Illinois made curriculum material available that some parents may be opposed to.

https://sites.google.com/district65....tq-equity-week

Preschoolers are reading about Harvey Milk and pride flags. First graders learn about introducing themselves with their preferred pronouns. There are physical education activities involving pride week.

You brought it up, and there was no disagreement here until you brought it up. Yet you have not brought up any of the many times GoP congressional leadership have claimed that people on the other side of an issue were lying and insulted them, which is odd if this issue caused you so much distress. Sadly I'm too used to seeing such double standards in politics, on both sides if a vast preponderance on the conservative side of things both locally and the little I am aware of from brief exposures to foreign politics here on this thread.

Rather than complain about my terminology, you could remember I was replying to:

I do apologize if I have offended anyone regardless.

I tried my google fu earlier and again just now and I've not been able to find this study, just the mention here that you seem to be quoting and no mention of the males as a 'widely known feature'. Considering the strongly negative take TheWeek has, I feel it's even more necessary for a more impartial view of the info in question.

As for my bringing up history, it was pointing out that you were ignoring quite a bunch in order to say they were just interested in having schools teach how to read, write, and do math and leave everything else to the families. And as they are throwing out math books for undisclosed reasons including CRT they aren't even leaving those alone. It should be clear by now that they don't want all the facts taught, and they don't want kids to interpret them in ways they don't approve of even if left to do so impartially. Simply pointing out that homosexuality exists in school is being outlawed, and it's led to Disney getting flack for being decent enough to object to it.
    I've written about a few of Trump's lies. Usually by the time I notice it, someone else will have brought it up.

Because of the political leanings, I usually don't need to inform people of arguments against Republican leadership. But when Democratic leadership lies and disparages people, it's a topic you guys are either unaware of or not inclined to bring up.

The discussion would have been faster if it just had been agreement. But once there's disagreement, we're going to have more posts on a topic. There's noting wrong with this, but it means that reasonable people can defend are more likely to be discussed than things that no one reasonable would support.

The quote I used "the number of students brought up as girls identifying as transgender" is an accurate description, regardless of whether you think they were brought up correctly or incorrectly.

I'm sympathetic on the difficulty of referring to correct terminology on these issues. That was all.

With history, many conservatives will just group that under reading and writing. It's something people read about and write about.

There isn't one conservative view and there isn't one progressive view, which complicates arguments on the sensitive and important questions of what minors should be taught at school when it comes to sensitive topics.

Hilariously, Disney has been stripped out of their "self-governing status" in Florida.

What I find interesting about all this is how Disney has gone completely silent in the face of this. They've literally been bullied and they apparently don't even know how to react.

I know they will do something but its curious as to how they don't seem to be fighting for themselves.
    I'm sure they're making a legal defense.

It's hard to make a political defense as they don't want to alienate customers on either side, as well as the employees.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Never would I have thought that Disney of all companies would become a boogeyman for rightwingers, seen as a champion for LGBT+ right. If you told me a month ago, I would be sure it's the opposite. I am a huge fan of Disney movies and love many of them despite being an adult, but I have been getting increasingly disappointed by their refusal to show any LGBT+ main characters and found their attempts at throwing us some crumbs laughable.

Now I can actually see some light at the end of the tunnel, though it will probably still be a long time, before we see a gay or bi Disney princess. But if Disney finally shows some backbone, I am all for it and if things weren't so dire oherwise, I would be watching the upcoming battle with Florida with popcorn.
    Understand something Disney is more concerned about their pockets books. When your state is being hostile towards a set of people-you start looking at your wallet.

Because that is where the negative results will show up.

How bad will all this hurt tourism?

What happens when you don't get the Superbowl or All Star Game in Florida?

And all those other companies and colleges need to be worried to.

Don't think Desantos won't get an earful if every top 100 basketball player decides NOT to go Florida or Florida State over those bills.

I don't think you believe this. I hope not.
    You say this as Republicans keep putting laws into place against trans athletes, a *minority of a minority*, and rile up their base against these kids in schools. You say this as as Republicans constantly strip women's abortion rights all across the country, resulting in women being forced to have children in situations where they can't support their new child. You say this as Republicans vote down every single gun law without fail even after 20 children were murdered in there school. You say this as Republicans oppose things like extending the free school lunch program. I could go on and on, but what's the point.

Astonishing Member

Madison Cawthorn photos reveal him wearing women’s lingerie in public setting

Photographs obtained by POLITICO appear to show Madison Cawthorn, the embattled Republican congressman from North Carolina who recently accused his GOP colleagues of inviting him to orgies, wearing lingerie in what appears to be a party setting.

Cawthorn, 26, was raised in a conservative Baptist community in Henderson County, North Carolina, and has staked his political persona on arch-traditional Christian principles and the insistence of the importance of a kind of hypermasculinity. His comments about “the sexual perversion” in Washington made on a podcast, which he later admitted were exaggerated, drew the public disapproval and disavowal of Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy as well as other Republican leaders including those in his North Carolina congressional caucus.

The revelation of the two photos is the latest in a series of unflattering headlines for the freshman member of Congress in the run-up to the primary in his first re-election bid. The primary in North Carolina is May 17. Cawthorn has seven Republican opponents who see him as vulnerable.
    Will anyone think of the children!!?

Ultimate Member

The majority do not.

Teachers have to turn in lesson plans that align with the school curriculums. That in turn have to be approved and looked at by the principal or dean.
    In plain English-a book like Antiracist Baby is NOT apart of any school curriculum. Despite Ted Cruz's claims.

Now can it be used as supplement material? Yes. However the teacher has to explain and show how it fits into said curriculum.

What I vehemently disagree with is people treating schools like they're silos and that kids are being indoctrinated against parents wishes particularly younger children. As far as I know, there's nowhere this is happening and there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence that this is happening on any reasonable scale for politicians to jump into it.
    The parents that REALLY care would NOT wait until a pandemic to be vocal. What you are seeing are Johnny come lately that do not care for diversity with Republicans taking advantage of it.

And I decided to see how much LGBTQA content is at the elementary schools in my city.

307 materials (with a TON of it about FLORIDA)

Book 97 (the rest are ebooks and audio books or eresource)

Here are the most checked out books and authors
    Ashley Herring Blake-whose stuff has been checked out 42 times.
    Paula Fox's The eagle kite : a novel at 16 times.
    Linda De Haan's King & King 20 times

And the majority of these books are at the secondary level. I think Ashley had 2 books checked out at the elementary level.
    Otherwise nobody is reading those books.

Secondary level

531 books
    Most read books??
    At 1650 times Drama by Raina Telgemeier
    216 times The Perks of Being a Wallflower (that became a movie)

And you can't indoctrinate kids if their classmates are LGBTQA before they set foot in a school.

Yes I do know of transgender and non-binary Kindergarteners. The schools did NOT do that.

So why waste money with laws that have no substance.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to a number of folks...Disney will getba big tax break with this dumb move. They also moved a huge debt load to the state itself in keeping the district they run.

So Disney lawyers could be saying...do you really wanna fight this great deal you just got ? Because its coming out...no Republicans read this bill clearly on what happens. They never spoke to anyone in counties to discuss the results of it.

It was done on spite and well...the state will pay the price.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I think it's great that Disney is fighting with the Republican Party. The Republican Party isn't going to win this fight and Disney will end up becoming a bit more liberal. I see this as Win-Win!

I know they will do something but its curious as to how they don't seem to be fighting for themselves. I suspect the real problem is the GOP ties within Disney are confused as to approach the issue.
    Originally Disney was quiet about the bill until walk-outs and protests pushed them to start making statements.

In recent days, Disney employees shared their outrage on social media when the company did not denounce the proposed legislation. On Wednesday, at Disney's annual meeting with shareholders, Disney CEO Bob Chapek acknowledged their anger, saying that he knows "many are upset that we didn't speak out against the bill."

Chapek explained that Disney leaders were opposed to the bill "from the outset, but we chose not to take a public position on it because we thought we could be more effective working behind-the-scenes, engaging directly with lawmakers — on both sides of the aisle."
    I'm extremely interested in hearing their response to the bill signing today, and I too am surprised that they haven't said anything yet. But Mets may be right in that they are preparing a legal defense.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Baltimore to provide monthly income of $1,000 for 200 young parents through pilot program
    https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...zsm-story.html

A select group of young Baltimore parents will get a financial leg up over the next two years courtesy of a guaranteed income pilot program that city officials plan to launch next month.

The pilot, which will begin accepting applications May 2, will offer monthly payments of $1,000 to 200 parents between the ages of 18 and 24. No restrictions will be placed on how families can spend the money, which is intended to provide financial stability in hopes of helping families out of poverty.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!