Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The sick thing is the GOP does not even See how dumb and full of hypocrisy they are when it comes to medical choice.

We all remember the outcry that did and still happens with covid

Gop - Masks, Vaccines? My body my choice, the government should not interfere or tell someone what they can do with their body in terms of medical care.

Also the GOP - We have to ban a woman's right to get an abortion, or a persons right to make the choice with their parents and health care professionals on gender care.

Or they may see it and just don't care because they are so wrapped up in hate and control.
    They think 'My Body', not 'Yours', not 'Hers", not, 'Theirs'. It's another aspect of 'Privilege'. They see themselves as the Privileged Class, the Overseers, the Lords of the Land. It is about control, it's also about selfishness, about refusing the existence of others, and refusing to co-exist with others.

It's a sign of some serious mental Health Issues.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The sick thing is the GOP does not even See how dumb and full of hypocrisy they are when it comes to medical choice.

We all remember the outcry that did and still happens with covid

Gop - Masks, Vaccines? My body my choice, the government should not interfere or tell someone what they can do with their body in terms of medical care.

Also the GOP - We have to ban a woman's right to get an abortion, or a persons right to make the choice with their parents and health care professionals on gender care.

Or they may see it and just dont care because they are so wrapped up in hate and control.
    I beg to differ. The GQP absolutely isn’t stupid because they’re playing to an audience more than willing to buy into their hypocrisy for the sake of fomenting hate and wresting body autonomy away from women.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    That's true enough, yes, but that doesn't change what Russia's very clear and obvious goals were or why negotiations stalled on implementation, with Russian negotiators insisting on the most favorable reading for themselves in a way that gave them a pocket veto over Ukranian politics. Obviously, any politician whose base of support lays outside of the seperatist areas isn't going to agree to that. Really, everything goes back to Putin. The collapse of Yanukovych government in 2014 came about because of Russia leaning on him, sparking a revolution, Putin then invading in 2014 to annex Crimea and set up puppet states which galvanized the far right in Ukraine by giving them something to rally around, placing countless people in harms way to create an unnecessary civil conflict, out of fear of Ukraine drifting out of his 'sphere of influence'.

It really is *all his fault*.
    When Yatsenyuk was made prime minister after Maidan, he made poor decisions by rewarding Svoboda's role in the revolution with three cabinet positions, including Oleksander Sych as deputy prime minister, and governorships of three of Ukraine's provinces. Svoboda's Parubiy was appointed chairman (or speaker) of Parliament. Ukrainian voters loudly made their voices heard in the 2014 post-coup elections, reducing Svoboda's 10.4% share of the national vote in 2012 to 4.7%.
    The people were already restless with the idea of extremists in their government. There were protests against the new order but Right Sector quelled the protests with violence.

This led to the Odessa Trades Unions House massacre which to this day has not been properly investigated and is mostly ignored. There was a protest against the new government and when Right Sector showed up, many protestors took shelter in the Trade Unions House. They were barricaded in and the building was set on fire. 42 protestors died and those that weren't burned alive, or killed by smoke inhalation, were bludgeoned as they jumped out of windows to escape the fire. No one has truly been held accountable for it and it's not truly known if these were rogue thugs or part of the Right Sector battalion that was integrated into the military.

Point being that it's been a horrible conflict for 8 years with tons of nuance and now it's even more out of control. I hate all of it. I hate that Russia went into Ukraine, I hate that people are dying, and I hate that our country has been involved since the beginning, so much so that Germany and France didn't want us at the negotiating table.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    When Yatsenyuk was made prime minister after Maidan, he made poor decisions by rewarding Svoboda's role in the revolution with three cabinet positions, including Oleksander Sych as deputy prime minister, and governorships of three of Ukraine's provinces. Svoboda's Parubiy was appointed chairman (or speaker) of Parliament. Ukrainian voters loudly made their voices heard in the 2014 post-coup elections, reducing Svoboda's 10.4% share of the national vote in 2012 to 4.7%.
    The people were already restless with the idea of extremists in their government. There were protests against the new order but Right Sector quelled the protests with violence.

This led to the Odessa Trades Unions House massacre which to this day has not been properly investigated and is mostly ignored. There was a protest against the new government and when Right Sector showed up, many protestors took shelter in the Trade Unions House. They were barricaded in and the building was set on fire. 42 protestors died and those that weren't burned alive, or killed by smoke inhalation, were bludgeoned as they jumped out of windows to escape the fire. No one has truly been held accountable for it and it's not truly known if these were rogue thugs or part of the Right Sector battalion that was integrated into the military.

Point being that it's been a horrible conflict for 8 years with tons of nuance and now it's even more out of control. I hate all of it. I hate that Russia went into Ukraine, I hate that people are dying, and I hate that our country has been involved since the beginning, so much so that Germany and France didn't want us at the negotiating table.
    I would never say there's no room for nuance, obviously. I'm not defending the nationalists here, after all.

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I'm glad this statement has been made. I'm pro-choice and always have been, and there have been many strong but peaceful protests over the weekend. This is arguably the most important issue of our time so bad apples can't be allowed to spoil this. This is a very good call on Biden's part.

Database of 231 videos exposes the horrors of war in Ukraine

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is one of the most documented wars ever. Citizens, public officials and soldiers have posted videos every day that show the dead bodies in neighborhoods, the trails of missiles streaking through the skies and the smoldering ruins of entire towns.
    The Washington Post’s visual forensics team started to verify and catalogue videos from the war the day Russia’s invasion began. This work is now searchable in a database that will be updated. The videos have been uploaded in raw format; graphic content is clearly marked.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I don't claim to know the truth, but there has also been speculation that FSB was involved in the provocations, like they often are in anti-government protests.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Russian ambassador to Poland pelted with red paint at VE Day gathering

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-day-gathering

Russia’s ambassador to Poland has been pelted with red paint thrown at him by people protesting against the war in Ukraine as he went to lay flowers at the Soviet military cemetery in Warsaw on the anniversary of the allied victory over Nazi Germany in 1945.

Video footage released by Russian news agencies showed Sergey Andreev and several other men with paint on their clothes and faces surrounded by a crowd, some holding Ukrainian flags. In other videos of the incident circulating online, anti-war activists can be heard chanting “fascists” and “murderers”.
    Slava Ukraini!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I'm glad this statement has been made. I'm pro-choice and always have been, and there have been many strong but peaceful protests over the weekend. This is arguably the most important issue of our time so bad apples can't be allowed to spoil this. This is a very good call on Biden's part.
    I couldn’t agree more. The pressure to keep Roe v. Wade from being axed must be kept on lawmakers through protests. We’ve had them here in Philadelphia, but, these too have been peaceful, regardless of what side of the argument you fall on, the right to assembly must be respected with no violence to mar anything.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

European Council president forced to take cover from missile strike during Odesa visit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...08cce6cb388187

Michel was forced to break off a meeting with Ukraine’s prime minister, Denys Shmyhal, and take shelter when missiles struck the southern Ukrainian city, according to an EU official.

During the meeting, “participants needed to interrupt the meeting to take shelter as missiles struck again the region of Odesa”, the official said.
    Slava Ukraini!

Your fooling yourself if you think peaceful protest will do jack ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I don't claim to know the truth, but there has also been speculation that FSB was involved in the provocations, like they often are in anti-government protests.
    That may very well be true so I hope a proper investigation happens in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I couldn’t agree more. The pressure to keep Roe v. Wade from being axed must be kept on lawmakers through protests. We’ve had them here in Philadelphia, but, these too have been peaceful, regardless of what side of the argument you fall on, the right to assembly must be respected with no violence to mar anything.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    It may not sway the judges but it's certainly brought out a lot of people that may not have cared about voting until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Trivia question for the day - what was the first nation to recognize the independence of Ukraine? That would be the USSR - their equivalent of a Constitution specifically recognized a right for member states to secede. Also, after the USSR dissolved itself, Russia also officially recognized Ukraine as an independent nation.

Whatever kinship had existed between Russia and Ukraine is almost certainly gone for a couple of generations, and Russia has only itself to blame. I'm willing to bet that Ukrainian schools will teach Russia by Catherine the Great's purge, by the Holodomor, and by Putin's many land grabs. Either that or the parents and overall national culture will.
    And Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons because Russia guaranteed its independence in return.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think he is articulating a commonly held viewpoint. If you believe Ukraine is not free, you can present the evidence for that.
    The evidence is in a "freely elected democratic" president being treated like a sucker (or loser) by a common thug, and later doing a 180º on his main electoral promise about peace. That doesn't look free to me. And if the president isn't free, how free can the country be? BTW, those events are connected, he had already been publicly threatened by the leader of Right Sector. But I guess you already knew all that, from your alternate sources. It certainly hasn't made it to the MSM, even though the interview is still online, at the same Ukrainian site.