Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Hint: he's a fan of a baseball team known for disappointment.
    LOL! In all fairness, they are doing well right now. But they won't beat the Yankees when they play them later this season!
    Watching television is not an activity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    For a guy who's so concerned with 'ukronazism' you sure don't know a lot about the history of the horse you're backing.
    I already said there's right wing nationalists in Russia, and they're being used by Putin for sure. You can backtrack my posts on that. But Nazis have an engraved hate of Slavic people, so unless those groups hate themselves, they can't really be Nazis, can they? The real problem for Ukronazis, is that many would turn out to be Slavic, if they tested for the Haplogroup R1a. But I guess they would just shout "Sláva Ukrayíni!" until they sweat that out of their systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I disagree on this specific point.

There are potential ambiguities when it comes to criminal investigations, and there's a middle ground between proving allegations and proving innocence. Hell, there are times when it's likely that criminal acts were convicted, but there still isn't enough evidence to go for a trial.
    In Assange’s case, forever there will be a doubt… for those who have good memory…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I already said there's right wing nationalists in Russia, and they're being used by Putin for sure. You can backtrack my posts on that. But Nazis have an engraved hate of Slavic people, so unless those groups hate themselves, they can't really be Nazis, can they? The real problem for Ukronazis, is that many would turn out to be Slavic, if they tested for the Haplogroup R1a. But I guess they would just shout "Sláva Ukrayíni!" until they sweat that out of their systems.
    Hey, don't tell me. Tell the self-proclaimed neo-nazis that exist in Russia.

Of course, they can be Nazis without specifically hating the Slavic people!

Do they serve a totalitarian government willingly? Are they willing to treat other people brutally?

I’d suggest you can answer “yes” to both those questions for rather more Russians than Ukrainians.

But if you do answer “yes”, then you have identified Nazis.

You are tying yourself in knots by looking at things too intellectually, sweating the detail too much.

Surely you have an instinctive level of revulsion at the needless killing of Ukrainians and Russians? Effectively brother is killing brother, and Russia being the older, more powerful brother must accept the lions share of the blame.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-10-2022 at 02:53 AM.

I do find it strange that anyone is capable of believing that a the country with more Jewish people in what we in the US would consider cabinet level posts than any other on Earth with the sole exception of Israel is somehow run by Nazis. One would think the first group Nazis would insist on getting rid of would be Jews with political power.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Of course, they can be Nazis without specifically hating the Slavic people! [...] Effectively brother is killing brother, and Russia being the older, more powerful brother must accept the lions share of the blame.
    It's another ideology then, as close as you may want, but if you take out one of its key elements, it's not the same thing anymore.

An analogy with brothers? Not sure it's going to work very well, but OK. What happens if the younger brother keeps punching you in the gut, and asks for a knife?

Extraordinary Member

The supposedly invincible Chechen fighters Moscow brought in to try and do what they couldn't, are proving to be surprisingly vincible. Apart from shooting Russian troops who refuse to attack in the back, being killed themselves has proven to be something they are very good at. Meanwhile we are running low on Javelin anti tank missiles, having provided about one third of our own stock to Ukraine. Lockheed or whoever makes them has ramped up production, though it may take some time to see results. Evidently those things work really really well, almost worryingly so, (thinking of our own M1A Abrahms tank). We should stock up in addition to giving Ukraine more.

If people make absurd claims about Chapelle (and I would consider the idea that he was trying to frame people to be an absurd claim) it taints their other criticisms.

I'm well aware that Rufo and other Republicans are using CRT to mean something different than its academic meaning. However, the argument that CRT is just a reference to a college or law school class fails to take into account work in CRT that is meant to influence K-12 educators. That also makes a particular claim about CRT ("If your child was taught something inspired by CRT, it means your kid is in Law School. Congratulations!") come from a place of ignorance or bad faith.

On your math point, why did you multiply 3.7 by 0.66?

I agree that trans kids was a fringe issue pretty recently, and I can appreciate an argument that a spike in numbers may be the result of greater acceptance. But that's a different argument than a view that there was no spike.
    On Dave: Why else throw the blame on Trans folk with the "I'm just joking" excuse that Trump and so many more use all the way down to elementary school? After a revenge-special on Netflix, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt you always give to right wingers and those who are brought up here as being Anti-Trans (Ex: Shrier).

I haven't seen anyone here make the CRT claim you bring up either, so it seems like more of your gaslighting

Finally Mets, do you read what you post or is this more of that deliberate obtuseness?
    According to a survey of transgender youth from June 2017-June 2018 in the National Library of Medicine, two-thirds of those who identified as nonbinary were assigned female at birth. Incidentally, the percentage was higher for individuals who identified as having a binary gender (IE- male, female, trans male/ trans man/ trans masculine or trans female/ trans woman/ trans feminine.) So that suggests that in a general survey of college students, afab students would likely be overrepresented in categories like genderfluid, genderqueer, agender and non-binary. The reporter rounding up a bit checks out.
    Just Stop Pretending.

Two parts. First part. We don't know everything there is to know about 9/11. Twenty years later, it's still unclear that the attack was not foretold and willfully ignored. So yes, in that case too, the simplistic explanation given to the public, proves unsatisfactory. Had to look up Pizzagate, that sounds ridiculous.

Second part. As I already said, and if you keep insisting, I can only surmise bad faith on your part, I didn't know the video came from where you said, I thought it was a joke and I replied to it with another one. Move on. And BTW, you said that you didn't pay for TV, you didn't say that you don't watch it, or that you don't get your new from MSM. If that the case, where do you get it from? The intercept?

Zelensky is a joke, so yeah, I'll keep those coming, count on it.
    Whelp, I gave seriousness a try but Trolls gotta Troll I guess. Have fun eventually getting yourself banned for posting misinformation!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I certainly don't think it's unbiased, just pointing out that deriding someone for spouting Russian propaganda is just good sense, not bias.
    Definitely, but I gave it a shot and the propagandist has proved thats all they're good for. Getting videos and arguments to post they don't know or look into is par for the course

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    The thing is... we have our fair of conservative users on CBR, but they regularly do not bother posting their politics on here in this thread, either because they feel like the more liberal or left-leaning posters keep going after them for their politics, or they believe that they are on an island unto themselves. But, more often than not, they seem to engage in "bad faith" tactics, like saying the most outrageous claims, insisting that they get their news from easily discredited or dubious sources, or repeatedly refusing to take into mind what others have said and instead spinning it into how it is the forum's fault for not engaging with them properly.

Besides, the internet in general is far more friendly to conservatives anyway due to how libertarian developers think in the technosphere and how right-wing you tend to get the more money you earn. It hasn't exactly helped our current state of affairs on a global scale.
    One of the most famous catapaulted WBE to the heights of internet fame he now enjoys. Sorry again for your liver BTW WBE

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Here's an excellent thread on the impact of gerrymandering at both state and federal levels, alongside what's required to break the filibuster in the senate.

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/s...47950324649984

Any system where a ten point popular vote margin leads to a potential supermajority for the opposite side is ... problematic.
    It's almost like pretending something that has outsized benefits for the GoP is not a huge thing but supporting those who cook books to make alternative facts to fit their narrative is par for the course for conservatives in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I do find it strange that anyone is capable of believing that a the country with more Jewish people in what we in the US would consider cabinet level posts than any other on Earth with the sole exception of Israel is somehow run by Nazis. One would think the first group Nazis would insist on getting rid of would be Jews with political power.
    Well if they didn't we wouldn't have new words like Denazification hit the internet, and isn't that worth all the rapes, deaths, and destruction?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    On Dave: Why else throw the blame on Trans folk with the "I'm just joking" excuse that Trump and so many more use all the way down to elementary school? After a revenge-special on Netflix, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt you always give to right wingers and those who are brought up here as being Anti-Trans (Ex: Shrier).

I haven't seen anyone here make the CRT claim you bring up either, so it seems like more of your gaslighting

Finally Mets, do you read what you post or is this more of that deliberate obtuseness?

Just Stop Pretending.

Whelp, I gave seriousness a try but Trolls gotta Troll I guess. Have fun eventually getting yourself banned for posting misinformation!
    You misunderstood my post, and have used that as a pretext to go after me personally.

When I wrote "According to a survey of transgender youth from June 2017-June 2018 in the National Library of Medicine, two-thirds of those who identified as nonbinary were assigned female at birth." that meant that the rest of the people who identify as nonbinary were assigned male at birth. According to Table 1, 67.5% of nonbinary respondents were assigned female at birth and 32.5% of nonbinary respondents were assigned male at birth.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6802728/

You're trying to determine what percentage of college students are trans afab, but your total includes students who are amab, which is irrelevant for the initial claim that "the number of students brought up as girls identifying as transgender soared from 1 in 2,000 in 2008 to 1 in 20."

Students who were assigned male at birth are not part of the total number of students brought up as girls. I think we can all agree with this.

So you concluded the reporter was lying to exaggerate data which suggested that 2.7% of college students are trans afab, but you forgot to consider that a bit under half of those students were amab (trans or not.)

As for your comments on Chapelle, you may need to consider how jokes work if you think he meant to be taken literally in a situation that would inevitably lead to a criminal investigation and a lot of scrutiny.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Our foreign minister is in Ukraine. Of all the cabinet members, ACAB as has been the staunchest supporter of Ukraine and she is receiving a warm welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    The troll card, of course, and with threats to boot too. Here's to freedom of speech, and goodbye.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Protesting peacefully, no matter how loudly, in front of a judge's house: Free speech.

Slandering Zelenskyy with libelous, false claims: Not free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Our foreign minister is in Ukraine. Of all the cabinet members, ACAB as has been the staunchest supporter of Ukraine and she is receiving a warm welcome.
    I'm just dying at 'ACAB'.