Page 3 of 5011 FirstFirst 123456713531035031003 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I can't wait for this election to be over. I still have to figure out what my state of Indiana is doing with the primary we've not had yet. Not that it really matters much. We do early voting but right now the official site says pending for the status on that. The primary itself is June 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    That's only if you forget about the fact that our children, their children, children's children and so on will somehow have to produce the energy to keep the nuclear waste safe from natural influences and terrorists for 80,000 years or so. If you factor that in, nuclear power is probably dirtier than coal, we just kicked the can down the road a bit. That's one of the reasons why my country got out of nukes and bet on wind and solar. Nuclear power is not a green energy at all, especially now that wind power plants can be built faster (and causing less CO2 during construction) than nuclear plants.
    Agreed. Nuclear power is not "clean." The nuclear material in some reactors must be changed out each year and the tons of waste must be stored undisturbed for millenia.
    To illustrate the length of time, one current problem with storage is that the stuff stays deadly for so long experts must figure out alternate methods of communicating that fact to future generations because any of the languages currently spoken and written on Earth are liable to be unintelligible by the time it is finally somewhat safe to handle.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-03-2020 at 10:25 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    If Trump is "Stupid Watergate" then Tara Reade is "Stupid Monica Lewinsky case"
    Lewisnky and Clinton had a consensual affair (though one might argue if that was possible considering the power dynamics, but she was an adult with agency) that actually happened. Not sure how this applies here. This has more in common with Plan 9 from outer space than the Lewinsky affair.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Agreed. Nuclear power is not "clean." The nuclear material in some reactors must be changed out each year and the tons of waste must be stored undisturbed for millenia.
    To illustrate the length of time, one current problem with storage is that the stuff stays deadly for so long experts must figure out alternate methods of communicating that fact to future generations because any of the languages currently spoken and written on Earth are liable to be unintelligible by the time it is finally somewhat safe to handle.
    Ray Cats!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

It's also not a "quick solution" for climate change. Getting a new nuclear power plant on the grid in a non-totalitarian state takes well over a decade - and that is if there are no lawsuits from neighbors who don't want three-eyed fish. You can build enough renewable energy resources to replace existing coal and gas plants in that time easily. There is no good reason left to build new nuclear plants.

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    True, those have been concerns and should be concerns when addressing climate change.

Still, all those problems are less pressing and more solvable than the immediate and devastating problem of climate change. People have already worked on nuclear power problems for decades and have solutions available. If we believe that the rapid rise of greenhouse gas emissions are causing climate change, and we believe that climate change is a problem that humanity has the capacity to solve, then I can't rule out nuclear energy as part of that solution. If we are able to solve the former, we can certainly solve the latter.

If I rule it out, then what would my goal actually be? It doesn't seem like I'd be serious about addressing greenhouse gas emissions. Certainly, just like our ancestors in the modern age have left us with a lot of problems to deal with today, whatever we do today and in the next few years will saddle generations decades, centuries and thousands of years from now with problems - most we cannot even predict.

However, I think climate change may be an existential threat within the next century or so, so I'd rather leave future distant generations with the problem of what to do with nuclear waste than avoid that problem by basically going extinct.
    No. The solution is to re-evaluate our classification of clean power with an eye towards not leaving a mess for future generations to clean up. We have much cleaner options than nuclear available to us now and are in a position to make those options even cleaner. Geo-thermal, for instance can create power on an equal level without the nuclear waste problem.
    It also bears pointing out that nuclear contamination doesn't just affect one population. The genetic damage can carry through for generations and be distributed worldwide through populations.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

No. The solution is to re-evaluate our classification of clean power with an eye towards not leaving a mess for future generations to clean up. We have much cleaner options than nuclear available to us now and are in a position to make those options even cleaner. Geo-thermal, for instance can create power on an equal level without the nuclear waste problem.
    It also bears pointing out that nuclear contamination doesn't just affect one population. The genetic damage can carry through for generations and be distributed worldwide through populations.
    They're doing a small scale version of geo thermal here in Germany that I find absolutely genius: When they build a new house, they drill pipes about 15, 20 meters in the the ground and extend those pipes into the walls. A small pump that barely needs energy (and can be run by a solar panel) circulates water through those pipes. The temperature at that depth is a constant 15° Celsius. So in the winter, this pre-warms your walls and you need less heating, and in the summer, it cools your walls and you need less AC.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Lewisnky and Clinton had a consensual affair (though one might argue if that was possible considering the power dynamics, but she was an adult with agency) that actually happened. Not sure how this applies here. This has more in common with Plan 9 from outer space than the Lewinsky affair.
    Before getting her job with his administration, Lewinsky had a small reputation among her peers as having a major crush on Clinton. I've often wondered if someone helped her get that job close to Clinton, who had a reputation of philandering. I also wonder if Linda Tripp wasn't encouraged to become Lewinsky's confidant. It's a known fact that it was Tripp who pressured Lewinsky to store the notorious blue dress without cleaning it and it was also Tripp who outed Lewinsky to the press.
    My tinfoil hat is itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    They're doing a small scale version of geo thermal here in Germany that I find absolutely genius: When they build a new house, they drill pipes about 15, 20 meters in the the ground and extend those pipes into the walls. A small pump that barely needs energy (and can be run by a solar panel) circulates water through those pipes. The temperature at that depth is a constant 15° Celsius. So in the winter, this pre-warms your walls and you need less heating, and in the summer, it cools your walls and you need less AC.
    Iceland generates nearly 100% of it's power from geothermal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    And cats would finally be useful.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 05-03-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Watching the parallel universe of Carnation Twitter implode has a strange attraction to me.

Graz works for a Justice Democrat campaign and is infamous for creating memes inferring all gay people were serial killers. His tears, as they say, are delicious.

I mean... how hysterical is "Bernie Won 2016 (Biden's Hairy Leg"? What are they, 14?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Iceland generates nearly 100% of it's power from geothermal.
    Not a lot of countries that have that much lava underground for so few people. The country is basically just hot springs, trolls and the national football team.

I mean the point is more "Heres this serious thing" and its been turned into a dumb clownish affair by all involved
    Last edited by jetengine; 05-03-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Watching the parallel universe of Carnation Twitter implode has a strange attraction to me.

Graz works for a Justice Democrat campaign and is infamous for creating memes inferring all gay people were serial killers. His tears, as they say, are delicious.

I mean... how hysterical is "Bernie Won 2016 (Biden's Hairy Leg"? What are they, 14?
    What does "NeeraLib" even mean? Does it refer to someone who pretends to be liberal but really isn't? Or does it refer to someone who's almost a liberal? Or does the "Lib" part refer to libertarians? I'm confused
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    What does "NeeraLib" even mean? Does it refer to someone who pretends to be liberal but really isn't? Or does it refer to someone who's almost a liberal? Or does the "Lib" part refer to libertarians? I'm confused
    They have this fantasy that Neera Tanden is a very powerful shadow figure with lots of financing by Soros or somebody. When people disagree with them online, they accuse them of being paid by Neera Tanden.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Dubya was dumber than a box of hammers, but not even he would’ve suggested pumping disinfectant into your body. Astounding.
    He's not even close to the winner in the stupid contest. He said himself that, in 2016, for the first time in his life, he did not vote Republican. He voted for a Third party candidate. Yes even he had too much of a conscience or a brain to vote for Trump.
    Power with Girl is better.