I didnt Quote Tamis post for space. But I am really glad she posted it and I thank her for it.

But 285 people killed in 15 shootings, by guns that were bought legally.

Guns are not the issue and it is rare that it happens. And this is just Merica so nothing we can do. That is the GOP position.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I have mixed feelings about Sen Menendez. He has done some good things while in office, but he has a whole lot of baggage. If this article is correct, it smells questionable.

Some children occasionally do want to follow in a parent's footsteps, and parents should support them. But is it possible that this is taking it too far?

Inside a Dem Senator’s Plan to Install His Son in Congress

Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) is trying to turn his New Jersey turf into a family garden as he seeks to plant his son in the House of Representatives seat he once held himself.

Despite a purview that ostensibly spans the planet, sources tell The Daily Beast that the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee remains intensely focused on the 62 square miles of his native Hudson County. And with his old ally Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ) retiring this year from the congressional district encompassing the county’s major population centers—the district the senator himself represented between 1993 and 2006—Menendez appears to have decided his son and namesake must replace him.

And the Democratic Party appears to have been doing his bidding. At the national level, Robert Menendez Jr. has received the backing of the political action committee of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, to which his father belongs. In New Jersey, Gov. Phil Murphy endorsed the 36-year-old for the seat before he even officially launched his campaign. But perhaps most importantly, Menendez Jr. has the support of the local Hudson County Democratic Organization, which has already gotten two of his top opponents kicked off the June 7 primary ballot and is mobilizing its electoral army of municipal employees—many of them first- and second-generation immigrants from countries with tenuous job protections for civil servants.
    “He’s like an icon that everyone bends to,” Agustin Torres, an award-winning retired journalist who covered the area for 45 years, said of Menendez Sr. “That’s a plum to give away just because it’s Menendez’s kid. He hasn’t shown he can govern anything yet.”
    “People in Hudson County have become very cynical about how politics operate here,” warned Hector Oseguera, a lawyer based in Union City—the senator’s hometown—who challenged Sires in 2020. “Something like this feeds into that perception of politics: that the people who are ruled by these politicians don’t have a say because there’s a club that makes all these decisions.”

But the royal treatment might not so appall the son, who appears to have been prepped for power from an early age. The scion attended the private Hudson School in Hoboken, where tuition and fees top $25,000 a year, more than half the average Hudson County resident’s annual income. His LinkedIn profile shows he graduated straight from Rutgers Law in 2011 into Lowenstein Sandler, a white shoe firm known for its politically connected attorneys, who have included several current and former attorneys general of New Jersey and Biden Drug Enforcement Administrator Anne Milgram. Its clients are often private firms with business before the state. Lowenstein Sandler also belongs to a limited pool of legal outfits approved to serve as counsel to New Jersey and its municipalities.
    Let's remove Senator Menendez from the equation and just assume that this is someone who has wanted to be involved in politics from an early age, and had the money to get started, would it make a difference or not who his father is?

Trying to decide if this is as the article implies, or if it is just Robert Jr. following the traditional path to a Congressional seat?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Sen Menendez. He has done some good things while in office, but he has a whole lot of baggage. If this article is correct, it smells questionable.

Some children occasionally do want to follow in a parent's footsteps, and parents should support them. But is it possible that this is taking it too far?

Let's remove Senator Menendez from the equation and just assume that this is someone who has wanted to be involved in politics from an early age, and had the money to get started, would it make a difference or not who his father is?

Trying to decide if this is as the article implies, or if it is just Robert Jr. following the traditional path to a Congressional seat?
    What do you mean by too far? If there is illegality then that is too far. But, being groomed for a life in the political arena like a parent in and of itself is not bad. It would be the same as a family of doctors or lawyers etc. Parents send them to the best schools, maybe introduce them to mentors etc internships that will push them on the patch. Get them in the door of the right boards, or doners etc. As long as there isn't anything unethical or illegal I don't see a problem with it.

And in this case for public office you still have to get votes. Is name recognition, and money a bonus? Of course. Now other people who want that spot or position have a right to try and bring up "dynasties" and nepotism etc too. And its up the voters then to decide what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    The problem with people like Andrew Yang is that they pretend that they've already accomplished the goal of a viable third party. As worthy a goal as that is, it's foolish to act like it's already happened when we're really still a two-party system at the Federal level.
    Yep. I don't know what he was thinking when he dropped out of the Democratic Party. "I'm not getting the success that I desire as a Democrat, so let's try as a Third Party candidate where I am guaranteed even less success". Many candidates in both Parties got their start by losing in their first few Elections, but got their name out there and eventually went on to be major players. As a Third Party candidate, Yang has virtually guaranteed that he will never hold public office, especially in a national position.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

BANNED

Bob Menendez is a corrupt scumbag, and while we shouldn't make the children suffer for the sins of the father/parents I'd also say nepotism is just as bad when it's a Menendez brother as when it's an Ivanka working as a Presidential advisor while selling handbags. It just feels gross and wrong. But it's Jersey, so that may be par for the course. Not quite Chicago politics bad, but a close second at best.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Yep. I don't know what he was thinking when he dropped out of the Democratic Party. "I'm not getting the success that I desire as a Democrat, so let's try as a Third Party candidate where I am guaranteed even less success". Many candidates in both Parties got their start by losing in their first few Elections, but got their name out there and eventually went on to be major players. As a Third Party candidate, Yang has virtually guaranteed that he will never hold public office, especially in a national position.
    I agree that it would have been much smarter for Yang to stay within the Democratic party.

Redistricting creates opportunities to run for the House, and his name recognition would have been helpful with the short time horizons for primaries. With his fundraising and media attention, he could have gone for positions outside of elected office (working for elected officials, running some kind of third party group.) Even if it didn't work out, he could then say that at least he tried if he forms some third party group.

In the current political environment, it is easier for an outsider to win in a primary than as an independent.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    What do you mean by too far? If there is illegality then that is too far. But, being groomed for a life in the political arena like a parent in and of itself is not bad. It would be the same as a family of doctors or lawyers etc. Parents send them to the best schools, maybe introduce them to mentors etc internships that will push them on the patch. Get them in the door of the right boards, or doners etc. As long as there isn't anything unethical or illegal I don't see a problem with it.

And in this case for public office you still have to get votes. Is name recognition, and money a bonus? Of course. Now other people who want that spot or position have a right to try and bring up "dynasties" and nepotism etc too. And its up the voters then to decide what they want.
    I disagree here.

Nepotism is legal, but it's bad.

This is obviously something Republicans do as well, but it's sketchy and contradicts positions of both parties.

Republicans claim that it's important to have people with experience outside of government in elected office, and politics as some kind of hereditary caste goes against that.

Democrats are pretty big on diversity, and children of elected officials are already overrepresented in political office.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Bob Menendez is a corrupt scumbag, and while we shouldn't make the children suffer for the sins of the father/parents I'd also say nepotism is just as bad when it's a Menendez brother as when it's an Ivanka working as a Presidential advisor while selling handbags. It just feels gross and wrong. But it's Jersey, so that may be par for the course. Not quite Chicago politics bad, but a close second at best.
    It is suspicious if someone is corrupt, and their children want to imitate their professional career.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Opinion - Truth emerges about Chinese repression of Uyghurs — no thanks to the U.N.

A consortium of U.S., European and Japanese media organizations has published an extraordinary cache of leaked photographs and documents from inside China’s vast system of “reeducation” internment centers, making plain beyond any doubt that millions of Muslim Uyghurs — including children and elderly people — have been oppressed since Beijing launched its program, officially labeled genocide by the United States, in 2017. The Xinjiang Police Files, as the cache is known, prove that, in a single Xinjiang county, 22,762 residents, more than 12 percent of the adult population, were interned in a camp or prison during 2017 and 2018. The files include the text of a speech in which the official in charge of the crackdown mentions President Xi Jinping’s detailed knowledge of the repression, and his orders to continue it. This devastating material, especially the images of clearly bewildered, even tearful, detainees, "blows apart the Chinese propaganda veneer,” as Adrian Zenz, a scholar at the U.S.-based Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation who received, authenticated and collated the material, told the BBC.

Yet Beijing insists on its coverup, with the Chinese Embassy in Washington declaring, in response to the Xinjiang Police Files revelations, that the critics are disseminating “lies and disinformation.” Which brings us to the just-completed six-day visit to China by Michelle Bachelet, the former president of Chile and current U.N. high commissioner for human rights. Billed as the first such trip to China by an occupant of her office since 2005, it comes roughly three years since Ms. Bachelet first proposed a fact-finding mission related to the Uyghurs and six months since her office announced it was about to release a highly critical report on their plight. That report has still not been published, however. The timing of her visit, permission for which Beijing announced in March, creates an appearance that the document was withheld in return for access to China for Ms. Bachelet.
    If so, it wasn’t worth it. It’s absurd on its face to suppose that Ms. Bachelet could conduct any sort of serious inquiry while being guided through what the Chinese foreign ministry itself has described as a “closed loop” of contacts, ostensibly necessitated by the covid-19 pandemic. What was highly foreseeable were attempts by Beijing to exploit a distinguished U.N. envoy’s presence for propaganda purposes. Mr. Xi lectured the visitor in their one meeting — on Wednesday, via video link. “There is no need for ‘preachers’ to boss around other countries, still less should they politicize the issue, practice double standards or use it as an excuse to interfere in other countries’ internal affairs,” he told her. Adding injury to this insult, the official Xinhua News Agency reported that Ms. Bachelet had told Mr. Xi that she “admire[d]” China’s efforts to protect human rights, an apparent fabrication that Ms. Bachelet was obliged to deny hours later.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The UN currently is less effective than the League of Nations - at least the latter was willing to throw member out when they launched wars of agression.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It IS questionable. The party is greasing the way for him and throwing roadblocks in the way of competitors, when it should be staying neutral until after the primary. It isn't as bad as if he was appointed to a high level job because of his father's connections, as a leadership post in the House is not guaranteed, and he still has to actually win the election to even get there. But still, not a good look, and opens the door wide for GQP whataboutism if anyone mentions Trump's nepotism.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In what way do you mean?

I think they have a sensationalist bias, which conservatives know how to exploit
    The media in general takes the conservative narrative. You see it in how they ask Democrats questions with a slant to the way Republicans frame it. There are also the nonstories that the media make much bigger than they are and squeeze out more important events. The Caravan! Hilary's Emails! etc...
    Here is one factoid, no matter who is in the White House or controls Congress, there are always more Republicans on Sunday Morning talk shows than Democrats.

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/su...-1c7c209337f1/
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-29-2022 at 02:26 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This isn't true at all.
    I think it's important to make clear where we're come from.

My understanding is that the mainstream media is disproportionately staffed by people who prefer generic Democrats to generic Republicans, which affects the ways in which stories are framed. They are more likely to support unpopular left-wing positions like open borders, college loan forgiveness, reparations and access to abortion after 16 weeks.

Is there different evidence?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

My understanding is that the mainstream media is disproportionately staffed by people who prefer generic Democrats to generic Republicans, which affects the ways in which stories are framed. They are more likely to support unpopular left-wing positions like open borders, college loan forgiveness, reparations and access to abortion after 16 weeks.

Student Loan Forgiveness, what an unpopular far lefty idea!!

Student Loan Forgiveness: New Poll Shows 64% Support

I also want to point out Mets tried very hard to find four positions that are not part of the Democratic platform, but paint the Democrats as "far leftists" something that the news media does as well.
    But that is what the Republicans do, hammer on small, inconsequencial ideas while depriving 5the oxygen to talk things like Climate Change, wealth inequality caused by GOP tax cuts, wage stagnation GUNS!!!.
    Thanks for proving my point Mets.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-29-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

A lot of people believe the media supports Democratic candidates but where is the actual evidence? You yourself made the claim without providing any actual evidence. You just stated it as a statement of fact. It makes for conservative talking points, but does not reflect reality.

Mainstream media outlets continue to platform known misinformer Carrie Severino

https://www.mediamatters.org/carrie-...arrie-severino

Mainstream media sources including CNN and The New York Times have repeatedly quoted Carrie Severino in their coverage of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito’s leaked draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade if implemented. Severino, president of the disreputable conservative group Judicial Crisis Network, has repeatedly spread false and misleading talking points throughout her career in support of a conservative legal agenda.
    Sunday shows bungled Kevin McCarthy lying about the insurrection

https://www.mediamatters.org/january...t-insurrection

The Sunday shows did a terrible job addressing what should have been a major political scandal after House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was publicly caught lying about comments he made in the days following the January 6 insurrection in newly revealed tapes. Instead of addressing the fact that a major political leader has flip-flopped on a coup attempt against the United States, these shows treated the story as a political horse race item in which the House Republican caucus’ support for that coup attempt is simply taken for granted.
    American media need to admit imposing a “no-fly zone” over Ukraine would mean open war with Russia

https://www.mediamatters.org/russias...ine-would-mean

Both right-wing and mainstream cable news have featured commentary from hosts and guests pushing the idea of a NATO-imposed “no-fly zone” over Ukraine, sometimes without providing important context about the possibility of escalation into a hot war with Russia.

https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status...85623357485056

listen, there are responsible gun owners who just enjoying hunting and I want to make it clear that I don’t care at all and they can find literally any other hobby

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Bernie Sanders got elected as an indy but them switch to Democrat.

Angus King is one but started Democrat. He was also governor of Maine as an independent.

Minnesota had quite a few win offices. Alaska have had a few run and gave the late Don Young a run.

They mainly seem to win mayoral elections.