Page 307 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2072572973033043053063073083093103113173574078071307 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 75153
    Incredible Member

At least Trump ended what has been for him a hell of a week with a little reunion with a few friends!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm a little more brushed up on Iroquois history since I grew up in what used to be Mohawk territory. My school used to make field trips to a local Iroquois history museum that was run by the former Jr. High science teacher (My stepmom had him), and his son was still teaching when I went although he taught art class, and when he retired he took over the museum.
    Cool, that would be neat to see, I quite enjoy First Nations culture, not to broadly stereotype, but I enjoy their non materialistic attitudes, we could learn a lot from their culture, especially in regards to being better stewards of our natural environment.

Just reading the headlines that "Rally smaller than expected", and all the anti-Trump folks are laughing like:

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Well, at least some folks are still trying to take a sensible approach to dealing with this...

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/disne...fety-concerns/

Disneyland Union Members Demand Company Not Reopen Park Due to Safety Concerns

Ultimate Member

I'm a little more brushed up on Iroquois history since I grew up in what used to be Mohawk territory. My school used to make field trips to a local Iroquois history museum that was run by the former Jr. High science teacher (My stepmom had him), and his son was still teaching when I went although he taught art class, and when he retired he took over the museum.
    Exactly the kind of American history I'd like to learn more about while in school.

I learned more about Native Americans from Claremont's X-Books (Dani, the Proudstars, Forge, Snowbird, etc) than I did in class.

Made even more real by the fact that both Dani and the Proudstars never held back regarding how they felt about American history.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Cool, that would be neat to see, I quite enjoy First Nations culture, not to broadly stereotype, but I enjoy their non materialistic attitudes, we could learn a lot from their culture, especially in regards to being better stewards of our natural environment.
    Exactly -- reading books like the Bhagavad-Gita and Taoist and Buddhist texts opens the mind to the realization that material desire is often more of a curse than a gift, especially when it comes at the cost of the lives and well-being of other people and nature as a whole.

These are things that many traditional cultures knew inherently but have been lost in the modern pursuit of material success.

One could make the argument that Trump is the ultimate representation of pursuing material and carnal desires -- wealthy and empowered beyond belief nearly his entire life but joyless, soulless, and completely lacking in empathy, moral fiber and personal integrity.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-20-2020 at 08:05 PM.

I had the desire to put a mask on Trump, so I did.

Trump in a mask.jpg
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I had the desire to put a mask on Trump, so I did.

Trump in a mask.jpg
    I'd prefer if he was in the one Leonardo DiCaprio wore in that film based on the Dumas novel....
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

I can't even imagine what your life has to be like. To go out to that hate rally in a pandemic. And sit there and clap to him "drinking water" and talking about walking down that damn ramp again. I mean WTF seriously?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Exactly the kind of American history I'd like to learn more about while in school.

I learned more about Native Americans from Claremont's X-Books (Dani, the Proudstars, Forge, Snowbird, etc) than I did in class.

Made even more real by the fact that both Dani and the Proudstars never held back regarding how they felt about American history.

Exactly -- reading books like the Bhagavad-Gita and Taoist and Buddhist texts opens the mind to the realization that material desire is often more of a curse than a gift, especially when it comes at the cost of the lives and well-being of other people and nature as a whole.

These are things that many traditional cultures knew inherently but have been lost in the modern pursuit of material success.

One could make the argument that Trump is the ultimate representation of pursuing material and carnal desires -- wealthy and empowered beyond belief nearly his entire life but joyless, soulless, and completely lacking in empathy, moral fiber and personal integrity.
    Well you also have to understand that a lot of tribal peoples don't necessarily want to be stuck living a traditional lifestyle forever and want to live in a modern and advanced society, albeit one that's structured on their terms rather than simply copying the forms of Western capitalism. While that kind of life might seem romantic to people who are so used to abundance and luxury that they've become jaded by it, we have to remember that it's also typically a life that tends to be rather harsh, brutish, and short, and that access to modern technology is not just a matter of frivolous consumerism but can drastically improve their quality of life.

Mighty Member

I've never cared about materialism personally, so long as I have financial security. I'd rather live in a small run down waterfront home on a remote island, than have a big mansion on the hill. My career has me servicing wealthy families, and though most of them are top notch people, a lot of them are in debt because they are going out and buying BMW's and Mercedes to keep up with being part of the neighborhood. If I had that kind of money I'd put it into stocks instead.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's also important to remember that it's not just the tragedies that need to be taught but accomplishments and traditions as well. Outside of a few key figures (such MLK, Pocahontas, Harriet Tubman, Santa Ana, etc) we know almost nothing about the cultural history of non-whites in America and even their accomplishments are primarily in relation to their interactions with white Americans rather than personal or cultural.

I couldn't name an Asian-American or Native American writer from those school history books but I could name dozens of white writers, poets, and other artists that I read (Thoreau, Keats, Dickens, London, Bradbury, Franklin, Twain, etc, etc, etc) repeatedly. Neglecting the non-white aspects of American history and culture is in many ways worse than focusing on and/or erasing the tragedies because it primarily allows for non-whites to be viewed as enemies and/or outsiders rather than contributors to making America what it is today.
    I know a lot of young people might not even remember these or seen the movies. But John Ford was one of the first Hollywood directors that addressed the shameful treatment of Native Americans in Cheyenne Autumn. He also directed a film called Sargent Rutledge co-starring Woody Strode with Jeffery Hunter in the lead. Strode's character is falsely accused of raping and killing a white woman and Jeffrey Hunter is appointed as his defense for the trial. Strode was a decathlete and one of the first Black Americans to play in the NFL. He became a close friend of John Ford and also appeared in Pork Chop Hill, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and Two Rode Together.

I'd prefer if he was in the one Leonardo DiCaprio wore in that film based on the Dumas novel....
    Please, no! .....then he'd look like Doctor Doom

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    At least Trump ended what has been for him a hell of a week with a little reunion with a few friends!
    I hope you are being sarcastic. I doubt Trump thinks of his mob as friends....just dumb hicks to be manipulated.

It's also important to remember that it's not just the tragedies that need to be taught but accomplishments and traditions as well. Outside of a few key figures (such MLK, Pocahontas, Harriet Tubman, Santa Ana, etc) we know almost nothing about the cultural history of non-whites in America and even their accomplishments are primarily in relation to their interactions with white Americans rather than personal or cultural.

I couldn't name an Asian-American or Native American writer from those school history books but I could name dozens of white writers, poets, and other artists that I read (Thoreau, Keats, Dickens, London, Bradbury, Franklin, Twain, etc, etc, etc) repeatedly. Neglecting the non-white aspects of American history and culture is in many ways worse than focusing on and/or erasing the tragedies because it primarily allows for non-whites to be viewed as enemies and/or outsiders rather than contributors to making America what it is today.
    Do you think the problem is that there were Asian-American or Native-American writers who anyone with good literary sense would recognize as being the equals of Dickens, Jack London, or Mark Twain who were not acknowledged, or that there were other factors that might have prevented Asian-American or Native-American writers from reaching that level?

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well you also have to understand that a lot of tribal peoples don't necessarily want to be stuck living a traditional lifestyle forever and want to live in a modern and advanced society, albeit one that's structured on their terms rather than simply copying the forms of Western capitalism. While that kind of life might seem romantic to people who are so used to abundance and luxury that they've become jaded by it, we have to remember that it's also typically a life that tends to be rather harsh, brutish, and short, and that access to modern technology is not just a matter of frivolous consumerism but can drastically improve their quality of life.
    What would their terms for a modern and advanced society be?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 06-20-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I know a lot of young people might not even remember these or seen the movies. But John Ford was one of the first Hollywood directors that addressed the shameful treatment of Native Americans in Cheyenne Autumn. He also directed a film called Sargent Rutledge co-starring Woody Strode with Jeffery Hunter in the lead. Strode's character is falsely accused of raping and killing a white woman and Jeffrey Hunter is appointed as his defense for the trial. Strode was a decathlete and one of the first Black Americans to play in the NFL. He became a close friend of John Ford and also appeared in Pork Chop Hill, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and Two Rode Together.
    This does get to a messy point that the studios would not allow an African-American director to have the opportunities a given white director had.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets