Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, it's pretty acepted that the economy moves in cycles so I think the burden is more on you to show that these policies added more jobs than a normal rebound that would have occured anyway.

By the same tolkien I don't think Biden deserves an ounce of blame for the cost of gas or inflation...because again those happen largly seperate from anything he can do.
    Those bridges will not build themselves, thwhat. People are literally getting hired to work on the projects from the Infrastructure Bill. Real people, with social security numbers, noses and pulses.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    A warning how repruductive rights can be threatened further in some states. With all the recent gloryfication of Hungary that GOP has been doing, I'm sure many of them are watching Poland as well, as an example of how to turn their states into Handmaid's Tale.

Poland Establishes 'Terrifying' Pregnancy Register After Banning Almost All Abortions
    https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...-all-abortions
    Yup! The GQP, a.k.a., the party that wants to keep government out of the lives of the people would just LOVE to install a register like that here.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Those bridges will not build themselves, thwhat. People are literally getting hired to work on the projects from the Infrastructure Bill. Real people, with social security numbers, noses and pulses.
    How many of the new jobs posted are specifically from that though? How many of those are long term? The onus of breaking that down is on you.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    sure, I was ignorant. like I said... most of my friends and family members that I've known over the last 30+ years have all taken great pains and planning to breastfeed their children.

I know plenty of people with food allergies.

I know people who have children with food allergies... and, as mothers, they had to completely overhaul the entire family diet to help meet the needs of that one child. even going so far as to not eat certain foods or serve it to the other kids to prevent that one child from being at risk. was it easy? no. they actually had to do some research and figure out what the problem was.

I wrongly assumed that every parent would take the research, time, effort, and adaptive strategies to problem solve health issues in the similar way. clearly, for a lot of mothers and adoptive parents, the only solution is formula.

and obviously Donald Trump is to blame for the entire scenario.
    What are you even going on about??
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    How many of the new jobs posted are specifically from that though? How many of those are long term? The onus of breaking that down is on you.
    It really is not.

Astonishing Member

If the 'great resignation' is still going on and the expanded unemployment benefits ended nearly a year ago, wouldn't that mean that the last five or so jobs report mean the Biden admin did add those jobs and not 'just people returning to work'?

Man with gun, knife arrested near Justice Kavanaugh's residence

WASHINGTON — Law enforcement officials say an armed man was arrested overnight near the home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

Officials say he was armed with a handgun, a knife, and pepper spray. He was stopped near — but not at — the justice’s house. And when police detained him, he said he was there to kill Kavanaugh, these officials say.

The arrest was first reported by The Washington Post.

The court confirmed some of the details in a brief statement: “At approximately 1:50 a.m. today, a man was arrested near Justice Kavanaugh’s residence. The man was armed and made threats against Justice Kavanaugh. He was transported to Montgomery County Police 2nd District.”

Officials say the man was from out of state and arrived by taxi.

Kavanaugh lives in suburban Chevy Chase, Maryland. His home was also the scene of protests after a draft of the court’s decision in the hot button abortion case was leaked last month.
    It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. To be honest, I'm surprised no one has been stopped AT the Supreme Court with weapons yet.

Astonishing Member

Texas Republicans want to arm more school employees, but few districts are opting in

Since Texas launched the school marshal program in 2013, just 84 school districts out of more than 1,200 have armed school staff. Educators say the program’s lack of popularity shows that teachers don’t want to be the ones to defend schools from mass shootings.
    Nearly a decade ago, Texas lawmakers created the school marshal program, a way for educators to carry weapons inside schools. It was the state’s rapid-fire legislative response to an unthinkable national horror 2,000 miles away when 20 first graders and six adults were shot and killed in a Sandy Hook, Connecticut, classroom just before Christmas 2012.

“Whoever is serving as the school marshal acts immediately,” state Rep. Jason Villalba, R-Dallas, said at the time, explaining how his bill would protect Texans in active shooter situations. “The whole point of this is to reduce response times from minutes down to seconds.”

The legislation empowers school districts to identify employees with a license to carry a firearm to volunteer as school protectors. Those individuals would undergo an 80-hour training and psychological exam, granting them access to a gun on campus. It is otherwise against federal law to have a firearm in a school zone.
    But since the bill’s passage into law in 2013, just 84 school districts have opted into the program, a sliver of the more than 1,200 school districts across the state. Of those districts, only 361 people have ever become a licensed school marshal across a state that has 9,000 campuses and more than 369,000 public school teachers.
    Yet this narrative from the GOP won't go away. Even if its completely silly and obvious that teachers were not going to become some wild west combatants ready to put down an active shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Texas Republicans want to arm more school employees, but few districts are opting in

Yet this narrative from the GOP won't go away. Even if its completely silly and obvious that teachers were not going to become some wild west combatants ready to put down an active shooter.
    Yes The Arm the teachers. Even though teacher unions and teachers are not for it. Here in Ohio who after Parkland talked about arming teachers and and that was the only way to stop shootings. And how all these teachers were begging to be allowed to carry guns in school. So he is offering free gun training for all teachers and will cover the license fee and back round check fees to arm the teachers in the schools. Since 2018 this flood of dozens and dozens of teachers who were begging him to be armed in school. Well 4 signed up and 3 have done the course.

We had a bill just pass in Ohio that lowers the training hours needed for teachers and school officials to carry a gun in school down to 24 hours total. This was expected to have a flood of teachers signing up. Guess what didnt happen.

We even have a GOP State House member in the state that wants to make it a law that a teacher cant get their teachers license unless they complete gun training and sign a form that they are willing to carry in school.

The teachers and unions have said time and time again they do not want this responsibility. They do not want to shoulder this burden. Yet the GOP will not shut up about it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The GOP get pissed when people call out the cop at Parkland and the police in Texas that did nothing while kids were being murdered. The police whose job it was to protect those children. Yet they get bat shit crazy mad when people say that arming teachers whose job it is to teach and not be Rambo behind a desk is not the answer. And they ignore the fact that teachers do not in any way shape or form want to be armed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yes The Arm the teachers. Even though teacher unions and teachers are not for it. Here in Ohio who after Parkland talked about arming teachers and and that was the only way to stop shootings. And how all these teachers were begging to be allowed to carry guns in school. So he is offering free gun training for all teachers and will cover the license fee and back round check fees to arm the teachers in the schools. Since 2018 this flood of dozens and dozens of teachers who were begging him to be armed in school. Well 4 signed up and 3 have done the course.

We had a bill just pass in Ohio that lowers the training hours needed for teachers and school officials to carry a gun in school down to 24 hours total. This was expected to have a flood of teachers signing up. Guess what didnt happen.

We even have a GOP State House member in the state that wants to make it a law that a teacher cant get their teachers license unless they complete gun training and sign a form that they are willing to carry in school.

The teachers and unions have said time and time again they do not want this responsibility. They do not want to shoulder this burden. Yet the GOP will not shut up about it.
    Well, the GQP has no choice but to continue pushing the foolish arm the teachers narrative, or risk having their NRA money spigots shut off and/or being primaried by voters who want to see school grounds turned into the O.K. Corral. And again, these are the same politicians and voters who don’t trust teachers not to teach CRT to the kids, but have no problem with them packing heat. SMDH!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 06-08-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    But you are claiming he's a "Bear Bryant", in that you're saying he gets the benefit of the doubt for us going from what is clearly (and should be, but please explain if you disagree) accepted as a unique event in an economic shutdown to slow the pandemic to going back to normal. You're saying if we go from 5% unemployment to 14% and then after the pandemic ramped down back to around 6% that Biden and his policies are solely or largely responsible for employing millions of the population when, in fact, you're just getting the people who were out of work back to work.

You're making the assumption it's all or largely Biden rather than largely business looking out for their bottom line (which is pretty much all business does) and saying it's dishonest to speculate what another President would have done. This is in itself dishonest as it's clear that trying to get the economy back up and running would be a priority for any sane person in that office (and even, perhaps especially, Trump). It's like saying we can never know if Gore would have gone after Al Qaeda after 9/11 if he'd been President. Sure, we can't look into a crystal ball and see that timeline as it actually would have happened but we can make reasonable assumptions and not just throw our hands up and say, "well, can never know so no need to speculate".

Again I ask, what specific Biden policies created millions of jobs that wouldn't have come back as the pandemic ramped down? If Presidential policies are so key to the economy, and given how well the economy was going under Trump pre-Covid, what Trump policies would you like to see Biden enact to get us back to that place? Taxes, deregulation? What policies should he adopt to get inflation or gas prices down to Trump-era levels? Or, can we admit that a President only has so much impact on the economy and it's not a large one? I know that takes one of the only good talking points Democrats can bring up off the board, but if it's not all or mostly on Biden we shouldn't be selling it that way (just like Republicans shouldn't be calling it Biden's gas prices or Biden's inflation).
    I’m not claiming anything about “Bear Bryant”. Those are 30’s words, not mine.

All I’m saying is Biden is President. Biden’s administration enacted economic and vaccination policies. The economy has been getting better.
    It’s impossible to honestly say whether the economy would’ve faired any better under another President so anything regarding that is purely speculation.

Please give me which specific Biden policies beyond any doubt either had no effect or worsened the economy.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-08-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Fourth grade Uvalde survivor testifies that she covered herself in another student’s blood to survive shooter

WASHINGTON — Miah Cerrillo, an 11-year-old in fourth grade who survived the school shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, said she covered herself in another student’s blood to trick the shooter into thinking she was already dead.

Cerrillo, wearing a sunflower tank top and her hair pulled back into a ponytail, spoke softly as she answered questions for two minutes on video about what she endured that day in the classroom, just two weeks after she witnessed her friends and teacher die in a deadly school shooting.

“He shot my teacher and told my teacher good night and shot her in the head,” she said in the prerecorded video shown at a hearing before the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Reform. “And then he shot some of my classmates and the white board.”
    One of the students who was shot, a friend of hers, was next to her among the backpacks.

“I thought [the gunman] was going to come back to the room, so I grabbed the blood and I put it all over me,” she said.

She said she “stayed quiet” and then she grabbed her teacher’s phone and called 911.

“I told [the operator] that we need help and to send the police [to my] classroom,” she said.
    Ugh will their testimony actual get through the money and influence of the NRA to the GOP? Rhetorical question obviously we know the answer unfortunately. Kids having to bathe themselves in the blood of classmates and teachers...
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 06-08-2022 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I’m not claiming anything about “Bear Bryant”. Those are 30’s words, not mine.

All I’m saying is Biden is President. Biden’s administration enacted economic and vaccination policies. The economy has been getting better.
    It’s impossible to honestly say whether the economy would’ve faired any better under another President so anything regarding that is purely speculation.

Please give me which specific Biden policies beyond any doubt either had no effect or worsened the economy.
    That bold part is 100% what anyone saying that the jobs number isn't a huge moment of celebration.

To be clear, I approve of Biden and think he's doing the best he can do under the cirumstances, I just don't think this is some crowning achievement.

Fourth grade Uvalde survivor testifies that she covered herself in another student’s blood to survive shooter

Ugh will their testimony actual get through the money and influence of the NRA to the GOP? Rhetorical question obviously we know the answer unfortunately. Kids having to bathe themselves in the blood of classmates and teachers...
    Sadly, it’s an exercise in futility as that horrifying testimony will go in one ear and out the other of Qpublicans as the only thing they hear are cash registers when checks from the NRA clear the bank. I’ve said this before and it bears repeating: if Sandy Hook didn’t move the needle on significant gun control legislation, nothing would. And nothing has.