Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    In regards to the San Francisco County DA recall. A reminder that San Francisco County is only 5% Black, so they want a 'progressive' DA, but not THAT KIND OF PROGRESSIVE. if you know what I'm saying.

https://t.co/wl8iiAB5nF
    Boudin's defeat likely has little to do with race. He's a white guy who got recalled in San Francisco, and who had conflicts with the African-American mayor. Looking at Boudin specifically, it seemed his best numbers were in white communities.

https://twitter.com/michelletandler/...45476557037570

I posted this in another thread but it's relevant here.

One weird thing politically is the distinction between white liberals and white people in general. These are different groups.

By all accounts, white Democrats have moved heavily to the left, including on racial issues.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/22/182598...ing-trump-2020

White Americans in general are more conservative, and more likely to hold retrograde views.

There are plenty of BIPOC Democratic voters who identify as moderates and conservatives, although this may be changing as more join the Republicans.

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2022...ocratic-party/

https://rollcall.com/2021/06/23/as-d...to-the-center/

One complicating factor is that White Democrats tend to hold different views from other Democrats. They're more likely to be against to be against hierarchy and discipline, which explains some absurd efforts to equate white supremacy with a preference for measurable results or a sense of urgency.

https://www.slowboring.com/p/tema-okun?s=r

Because the default white voter is more are conservative, white liberals tend to have some preferences that distinguish them, that don't necessary match those of typical Black or Hispanic Democrats.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Mark Burns is making some of his fellow far-right evangelical pro-Trump pastors look like moderates. Reading some of his comments, I can't think of another evangelical who'd give him a run for his money.

Neither Leo Terrell nor Vernon Jones can compare to this Mark Burns, when it comes to their far right views and love of Trump.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/meet...ry?id=38406350
    In my mind, Burns is no different from the knuckledragging neanderthals who run the Taliban because of his rampant fanaticism.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Boudin's defeat likely has little to do with race. He's a white guy who got recalled in San Francisco, and who had conflicts with the African-American mayor. Looking at Boudin specifically, it seemed his best numbers were in white communities.

https://twitter.com/michelletandler/...45476557037570

I posted this in another thread but it's relevant here.

One weird thing politically is the distinction between white liberals and white people in general. These are different groups.

By all accounts, white Democrats have moved heavily to the left, including on racial issues.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/22/182598...ing-trump-2020

White Americans in general are more conservative, and more likely to hold retrograde views.

There are plenty of BIPOC Democratic voters who identify as moderates and conservatives, although this may be changing as more join the Republicans.

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2022...ocratic-party/

https://rollcall.com/2021/06/23/as-d...to-the-center/

One complicating factor is that White Democrats tend to hold different views from other Democrats. They're more likely to be against to be against hierarchy and discipline, which explains some absurd efforts to equate white supremacy with a preference for measurable results or a sense of urgency.

https://www.slowboring.com/p/tema-okun?s=r

Because the default white voter is more are conservative, white liberals tend to have some preferences that distinguish them, that don't necessary match those of typical Black or Hispanic Democrats.
    I've read elsewhere that Boudin specifically had only won by a slim margin, and as such was susceptible to a recall by California's notoriously easy recall process. And that opponents have successfully tied the increasingly visible homelessness issue to him, despite the obvious lies required to do so.

Interestingly, it's black communities that seem to be the least likely to be swayed by fear mongering over reformist prosecutors - likely because they have to live with the real fear of unequal justice every day, making hypothetical fears less able to take hold.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Remember a bit ago when Hunter Biden had that dumb art show where people were going to buy his paintings. And Fox News lost their shit! The Son of the President is having an art show. Clearly these are bribes and the people buying the paintings are going to have huge influence on Biden.

But the wife of a SC justice can plan and take part in a rally to stop a legal election, and write law makers to throw out the results of that election. And the GOP doesnt say shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    And remember when Biden made a statement about that same show "I have nothing to do with it, I dont know the people involved, I will not meet any of the buyers, I am not in any way endorsing this and profiting from this."

And also remember how Trump and family were grifting off his time in the White House? And it was just "Meh another day at the office."
    It is bad that Trump's family profited from his dealings in the White House.

But there are some distinctions between Hunter Biden's art show and Ginny Thomas's actions.

Hunter Biden's art show was an opportunity for people to give the president's family a lot of money. Hunter was charging up to $500,000 a painting, and sold several prints for $75,000 each, despite not having anything close to a reputation that would justify those prices.

If Hunter Biden wants to be an activist, he can do so. He can send a form letter to state legislators.

The more right-wing Republicans would agree with Ginni Thomas, so they don't care about questions of propriety. However, the center-right and establishment Republicans are inclined to believe that people should not be held responsible for the views of spouses, who have their own agency, so they're not likely to think this is a big deal.

She can plan a rally. She can take part in it. She can write to lawmakers. That's different from trying to profit from her connection to her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I've read elsewhere that Boudin specifically had only won by a slim margin, and as such was susceptible to a recall by California's notoriously easy recall process. And that opponents have successfully tied the increasingly visible homelessness issue to him, despite the obvious lies required to do so.

Interestingly, it's black communities that seem to be the least likely to be swayed by fear mongering over reformist prosecutors - likely because they have to live with the real fear of unequal justice every day, making hypothetical fears less able to take hold.
    I suspect that if someone loses a recall with 62 percent in San Francisco because he's seen as too progressive, he has made serious mistakes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

You can laugh at the hypocrisy if you want, but Donald Trump's faux-Twitter, "Truth Social" which pretends itself to be the foremost example of unfiltered, uncensored right-wing thought...

Trump's Truth Social has started banning any user who posts any news at all about the Jan. 6th hearings.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Finally, some good news for WBE's queue!
    Jason Ravnsborg, 46, who later this month will be the subject of an impeachment trial in the South Dakota Senate for his conduct related to a fatal crash in 2020, told the Argus Leader Friday that he will not seek the GOP nomination for the attorney general's office during the Republican Party state convention June 23-25.
    Later edit: You know, I think we should just call it the WBQueue at this point.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-11-2022 at 03:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Finally, some good news for WBE's queue!
    I think that is the guy who claimed he had just grazed the victim and thought it was a deer, but later they found the dead man's glasses inside his car so he must have smashed right through the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I think that is the guy who claimed he had just grazed the victim and thought it was a deer, but later they found the dead man's glasses inside his car so he must have smashed right through the windshield.
    That's the one! There's evidence he was looking at his phone.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

The one thing I do not understand about that case:

HOW THE FRICK IS IT THAT MARTHA STEWART WENT TO JAIL?!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You can laugh at the hypocrisy if you want, but Donald Trump's faux-Twitter, "Truth Social" which pretends itself to be the foremost example of unfiltered, uncensored right-wing thought...

Trump's Truth Social has started banning any user who posts any news at all about the Jan. 6th hearings.
    Free speech, yo....unless said speech is something Trump doesn't like. Predictable as the sun setting in the west.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Texas was its own country after it left Mexico and there is Texit movement. I say let them go
    If it wouldn't be so costly relocating military bases & equipment, NASA stuff, and anything else that's property of the US and the taxpayer I'd say why not. But then you're likely to get armed insurrection as they try and have their cake and eat it too, and then we're in a mini-Civil War. No doubt like the war in Iraq you'd have people coming in from all over to fight the US military, and it would start us down the path to irrelevancy that the Putins of the world are looking for as they push the "state sovereignty" and decentralized government movement both here and in cases like Brexit and NATO's irrelevancy (had quite the partner in Trump on that one).

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Does TLC still stand for The Learning Channel? Maybe it should be The Leering Channel.
    Like A&E used to be Arts & Entertainment, and the History Channel used to be about history (though mostly Civil War and Hitler). Dumbs##t reality stuff gets eyeballs, and that other stuff gets relegated to PBS.

South Park had the best description of the latter channel.

"Where the truth.......is HISTORY"
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

This should be used against all these dumb GOP laws and suits they are trying to push against tech companies. They clearly understand prite platform have a right to ban based on the user agreement. But, they want to be able to keep spreading lies and disinformation with abandon like they did for far too long.

Now when the hearings are laying out the truth they want to ban that. Or in the case of Fox News just not air it.

Extraordinary Member

Just out of curiosity, can the Federal Government in the form of the Forrest Service be sued for the probably many billions of dollars is should be for burning down a good part of New Mexico? Or is there some sort of immunity?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can the Federal Government in the form of the Forrest Service be sued for the probably many billions of dollars is should be for burning down a good part of New Mexico? Or is there some sort of immunity?
    What, did they not rake enough?