Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Do we?

Do we now accept such low standards that we expect them to be routinely broken, even when no really unexpected event happens to derail them?
    This is nothing new in the US. It's an old cliche' that politicians used to promise a 'chicken in every pot' while campaigning for office.
    Only an idiot would assume they intended to give every household a chicken if elected.

It's a given that when a politician makes a campaign promise they intend to try to fulfill that promise barring the possibility their opposition is too great.
    Feigning ignorance of that to imply the politician is dishonest is itself dishonest. It is a bad faith argument.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 06-17-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Speaking of, not sure if this is accurate but Politifact has tracked Biden's promises. If accurate, Biden has been doing a much better job with his promises than trump.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I feel like Sanders campaign promises resonated more cause they were so on the nose for some people. But in a ironic twist that's why black people wouldn't vote for him cause they believed white people wouldn't vote for him because of those very promises. Everyone is playing (or think they're playing) 4D Chess lol.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    This is nothing new in the US. It's an old cliche' that politicians used to promise a 'chicken in every pot' while campaigning for office.
    Only an idiot would assume they intended to give every household a chicken if elected.

It's a given that when a politician makes a campaign promise they intend to try to fulfill that promise barring the possibility their opposition is too great.
    Feigning ignorance of that to imply the politician is dishonest is itself dishonest. It is a bad faith argument.
    Again: Biden is on track to keep the vast majority of his campaign promises, so I have no idea where this nihilism is coming from.

President Biden tweets: https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/153...Cjxc6j2NcqAAAA
    Today marks seven years since the white supremacist massacre at Mother Emanuel AME Church in South Carolina. We also mourn the lives lost to gun violence yesterday at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Alabama.
    Why is the Charleston Church mass shooter still alive? At least Timothy McVeigh was man enough to take responsibility for his actions. It took six years since Oklahoma bombing to execute him . It's been already seven years since AME Church massacre and the murderer is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    President Biden tweets: https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/153...Cjxc6j2NcqAAAA

Why is the Charleston Church mass shooter still alive? At least Timothy McVeigh was man enough to take responsibility for his actions. It took six years since Oklahoma bombing to execute him . It's been already seven years since AME Church massacre and the murderer is still alive.
    Flaws in our justice system. People sit on death row for 20 + years before being executed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I have been listening to many audiobooks lately as I've been dealing with my sick cat Frantic as it was a wait for his time to come. While he's gone now I was still listening to the last book in the Wheel of Time series and a pair of lines came up. Moiraine: "If I remember you did not promise that you would TRY, you promised would make it happen. "Rand: "Promises to TRY don't mean much in political negotiations, no matter how sincere."

It seems fitting for this whole conversation.
    Sorry to hear about your cat.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

We should not have Capitol Punishment at all. It takes so long because there is a long appeals process. U5 even with that, innocent people are still executed. It's barbaric and the rest of the civilized world has stopped.
    Just last month the corrupt, right wing Supreme Court denied the appeal of a man who is clearly innocent.

https://www.vox.com/2022/5/23/231381...-shinn-ramirez
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Flaws in our justice system. People sit on death row for 20 + years before being executed.
    Ah, yes, death row inmates appealing against the death penalty. I get that some of them may be innocents who were wrongly convicted. Everyone has a right to file an appeal.

But there was suficient enough witness testimony and other evidence to convict him. I wish he would stop filing appeals against the sentence he deserved. he had a fair trial and was judged fairly by a jury of his peers.
    He knew he was getting the death penalty when he committed the heinous crime.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I feel like Sanders campaign promises resonated more cause they were so on the nose for some people. But in a ironic twist that's why black people wouldn't vote for him cause they believed white people wouldn't vote for him because of those very promises. Everyone is playing (or think they're playing) 4D Chess lol.
    Most white people supported welfare programs....until they didn't anymore. They stopped right around the time black & brown people started getting them. It's one of the long list of reasons why black people are scared of white voters. Their behavior often dictates who we vote for. I personally got sick of it. I get that our grand parents and great grand parents were literally murdered for stepping out of line, but i just can't continue to be a good little soldier and fall in line.

I think we underestimate how traumatized we are by the unending violence of white people. For most of our history here, challenging racism almost assured you got killed. Black people telling other Black people to stay in line is rooted in a long history of survival & awareness that white people will go on rampages & kill random Black people based on the actions of one Black person. It’s not just about being invested in whiteness. But we would still be in chattel slavery, we’d still be living under segregation if it weren’t for defiant Black people.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 06-17-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Sorry to hear about your cat.
    Thanks, he was 12 and lymphoma had popped up in his stomach and had been hidden by a long history of hairballs and other pukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We should not have Capitol Punishment at all. It takes so long because there is a long appeals process. U5 even with that, innocent people are still executed. It's barbaric and the rest of the civilized world has stopped.
    Just last month the corrupt, right wing Supreme Court denied the appeal of a man who is clearly innocent.

https://www.vox.com/2022/5/23/231381...-shinn-ramirez
    I am torn in the Death penalty. I think it is a huge waste of money and resources and it is in no way a deterrent. But I see some cases and think man that guy deserves it. So I go back and forth. But if it is going to be there and it is going to be an active sentence then it needs to work and not take 20 or 30 years to off a guy.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Thanks, he was 12 and lymphoma had popped up in his stomach and had been hidden by a long history of hairballs and other pukes.
    This makes me sad. I am sorry about you little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This makes me sad. I am sorry about you little guy.
    Thanks to you too, and sorry for bringing you down.

Thanks to you too, and sorry for bringing you down.
    Ill be fine. i get sad whenever someones little furry family passes. I know how much we all love our little friends.