Page 317 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 2172673073133143153163173183193203213273674178171317 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/22/p...red/index.html
    So the White House admitted Trump was behind the firing of the NY attorney general who investigated him and his friends.
    Isn't that the textbook definition of obstruction of justice?
    And to think that the GOP won't bat an eye about it....
    Not only won’t Republicans bat an eye over what Trump had done, they’ll bend over backwards coming up with excuses to justify his actions. More proof they’ve willingly ceded full control of their party to Trump and will let him do whatever he wants short of committing murder (and maybe even that) as long as they stay in power.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

They won't, and haven't batted an eye at murder. Any Senate hearings on Khashoggi or Epstein?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/22/p...red/index.html
    So the White House admitted Trump was behind the firing of the NY attorney general who investigated him and his friends.
    Isn't that the textbook definition of obstruction of justice?
    And to think that the GOP won't bat an eye about it....
    I can barely remember a time when I would've been surprised by something like this.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Incredible Member

The thing for me is that if Biden wins the election and the democrats win the senate, which I hope despite the horrible feeling I have that it won't be that easy and the GOP will try to rig the elections (well, they're already doing it), they can't play the appeasement card, they will have to full on ballistic because Trump has destroyed all the democratic checks and balances.
    Send them all to jail is the only solution for me. Trump, Barr, Mc Connell...all of them belong to a cell.
    Not doing it would allow them to come back and destroy the US once for all.

Astonishing Member

The thing for me is that if Biden wins the election and the democrats win the senate, which I hope despite the horrible feeling I have that it won't be that easy and the GOP will try to rig the elections (well, they're already doing it), they can't play the appeasement card, they will have to full on ballistic because Trump has destroyed all the democratic checks and balances.
    Send them all to jail is the only solution for me. Trump, Barr, Mc Connell...all of them belong to a cell.
    They do belong in jail but doing that is harder than it looks and Trump's dismantling has made being able to get out even easier than it was before. The problem with using the system is that you have use the system, and that's all we have to hold the country together. The GOP are very good at evading justice like that, and they do that by being able to manipulate the system while the Democrats have more barriers to overcome and the public loses confidence in them if they don't produce miracles.

How would prosecutors go about proving beyond a reasonable doubt that all three of them (and perhaps others) committed crimes? If Democrats overreach when prosecuting political opponents, that's going to leave the correct impression that they're trying to destroy checks and balances.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Sorry wrong thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mogwen; 06-22-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Got one for the queue for you, WBE.

https://floridianpress.com/2020/06/r...al-enterprise/
    “The Democrat Party has transformed into a criminal enterprise that is destroying our country from within.” – Dr. William Figlesthaler

Figlesthlaler took to social media to share a new campaign video with his followers, taking aim at Democrats. In sharing the new video ad, “Dr. Fig” said that “this is not your Grandma’s Democrat Party.” He added that “the radical left is destroying our nation from within,” noting that “failing to stop them could cost us everything” and assuring voters that “in Congress, I will fight like hell to stop them.”
    In the ad, Dr. Fig affirms that he’s “running for Congress because America is at its greatest crossroads yet.” However, to get there, Dr. Fig faces a tough and crowded Republican primary season, but he has worked to set himself apart from the other candidates, which include Florida Rep. Dane Eagle (R) and Florida Rep. Byron Donalds (R) who was recently endorsed by the Club for Growth PAC.
    Meanwhile:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/bus...by-local-news/

On Monday, NBC-2 News fact-checked a claim from Dr. William Figlesthaler, a Republican candidate for Florida’s 19th Congressional District, that Matthew Hurley, a man arrested for contempt of court charges, was not affiliated with his campaign.
    “An arrest photo on the Lee County Sheriff’s website shows Hurley was booked into the Lee County Jail for money he owes involving a previous legal matter,” reported Dave Elias. “An arrest document lists Figlesthaler’s campaign as a possible employer to wage garnishments.” Additionally, said the report, “A campaign flier for Dr. William Figlesthaler lists Hurley’s name as part of the team,” and a local Collier County GOP committeewoman candidate, JoAnne DeBartolo, says Hurley approached her with a job offer to work on Figlesthaler’s campaign.
    "Democrats are a criminal enterprise, ignore the criminals working for my campaign!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    How would prosecutors go about proving beyond a reasonable doubt that all three of them (and perhaps others) committed crimes? If Democrats overreach when prosecuting political opponents, that's going to leave the correct impression that they're trying to destroy checks and balances.
    Grand Juries, Congressional Hearings, Criminal Investigations. the only one who would know for sure are the prosecutors. I'm certain that, except for Congressional Hearings, Biden and other Democrats would keep their hands off of the DOJ once Barr and his cronies are out and non-political career DOJ people are brought in to get that department working the way should.

It would be up to the DOJ to decide if anyone needs to be investigated for possible criminal acts. So, unless someone on the CBR is a career Prosecutor with inside knowledge as to how this could be done, I'd say we lay people are not the ones to ask.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

republicans: *continue to purge the justice department while placing unqualified hack judges in place while trying to shutter investigations into their wrongdoing*

Conservatives on a message board: but what if the democrats overreach.

Mighty Member

I don't think you have to worry about that. Every now and than a party too far to the right or left sneaks into power somewhere in the western world, they make a mess of things and aren't voted in again for a long time. Think of the 1970's British Labour Party, even after 40 years the British public didn't want to vote in an old school Labour leader like Jeremy Corbyn.

Ever since Ross Perot in 1992, the nationalist right of the Republican Party has been vying for power from Patrick Buchanan to Newt Gringrich. They finally get thier chance and their leader turns out to be "surprise surprise" a racist nutjob. Voters have long memories, so unless there is an economic collapse, it will be a Loooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg time before they get a shot again.

The Republican moderates will absorb some of Trumpism to keep the base happy and than go about cutting social programs and providing tax breaks like they usually do visa vi Reagan style.

Incredible Member

What?!!! That's exactly what the republicans have been doing for 4 years! Don't that make you feel a little hypocrite?

What?!!! That's exactly what the republicans have been doing for 4 years! Don't that make you feel a little hypocrite?
    "but what if the democrats overreach in prosecuting obvious corruption"

Leaving aside the issue that 'the democrats' won't be prosecuting the corruption in the first place, this take is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-22-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Grand Juries, Congressional Hearings, Criminal Investigations. the only one who would know for sure are the prosecutors. I'm certain that, except for Congressional Hearings, Biden and other Democrats would keep their hands off of the DOJ once Barr and his cronies are out and non-political career DOJ people are brought in to get that department working the way should.

It would be up to the DOJ to decide if anyone needs to be investigated for possible criminal acts. So, unless someone on the CBR is a career Prosecutor with inside knowledge as to how this could be done, I'd say we lay people are not the ones to ask.
    We lay people could still have some sense of whether crimes have obviously been committed. If someone thinks that Mitch McConnell in a jail cell is a potential and preferred outcome, I'm curious about the argument.
    How do you think I'm being hypocritical?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    republicans: *continue to purge the justice department while placing unqualified hack judges in place while trying to shutter investigations into their wrongdoing*

Conservatives on a message board: but what if the democrats overreach.
    If Democrats take the Senste and White House they're going to be able to select who they want for judicial appointments and the justice department.

If Democrats take the Senste and White House they're going to be able to select who they want for judicial appointments and the justice department.
    If it were that simple, Mets, Hillary Clinton would be on trial right now and you know it.

Of coiurse, this doesn't change the fact that the Republicans have been trying to create the conditions to be able to get away with exactly those sorts of shenanigans, but.