Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    So now not only is Arizona making the wrong choice on abortion, but they also want to be a police state as they are banning citizens from filming police action if the police move within 8ft of them.
    So you could be legally filming a cop from 10 feet away, but if he runs toward you, suddenly you're in violation of the law? Yeah, this will not end well.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Georgia was actually pretty Democratic-leaning until roughly the George W Bush presidency. Senator Sam Nunn was unopposed when running for reelection in 1990, so his record is unlikely to be beaten, even if Hershell Walker deserves that kind of loss.

Zell Miller, a conservative Democrat who gave a keynote speech at the 2004 Republican National Convention, won a full term in 2000 with 58%.
    Yes, but the Bush years were 400 years ago.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Yes, but the Bush years were 400 years ago.
    I'd expect someone like Mets to forever party like it's 1999 when it comes to justifying the GOP as best as possible for the rest of his life.

White House is trying to save lives here:

WASHINGTON - The Biden administration on Monday told hospitals that they "must" provide abortion services if the life of the mother is at risk, saying federal law on emergency treatment guidelines preempts state laws in jurisdictions that now ban the procedure without any exceptions following the Supreme Court's decision to end a constitutional right to abortion.

The Department of Health and Human Services cited requirements on medical facilities in the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA). The law requires medical facilities to determine whether a person seeking treatment may be in labor or whether they face an emergency health situation — or one that could develop into an emergency — and to provide treatment.

"If a physician believes that a pregnant patient presenting at an emergency department is experiencing an emergency medical condition as defined by EMTALA, and that abortion is the stabilizing treatment necessary to resolve that condition, the physician must provide that treatment," the agency's guidance states. "When a state law prohibits abortion and does not include an exception for the life of the pregnant person — or draws the exception more narrowly than EMTALA’s emergency medical condition definition — that state law is preempted."

Doctors 'must' provide abortion if life of mother is at stake, Biden admin insists

Netflix is apparently now (illegally) screening for trans people trying to get a job at netflix.

https://twitter.com/JillKrajewski/st...93785907404804

Gee, I guess the company that fires/lays off its trans employees while continuing to push transphobe Dave Chapelle might have some problems!

1 US$ is now 1€.

This will make my American comic books a bit more expensive.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

That Washington post article is super enraging

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Which one?
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Netflix is apparently now (illegally) screening for trans people trying to get a job at netflix.

Gee, I guess the company that fires/lays off its trans employees while continuing to push transphobe Dave Chapelle might have some problems!
    1. It is voluntary to share (if irrelevant to employment status, though you could say the same for race/gender/orientation/etc.).

2. There is a legitimate concern that some people might be trying to become employed by Netflix for activism rather than employment reasons. It's true that they may legitimately want to jump onto a sinking ship and be part of the Netflix team despite how they treat trans people and the general health of the company, but there's also a pretty good chance some people are looking to be employed to be a monkey wrench in the system and for a company that's already not doing very well they should be concerned with people looking to actively sabotage them.

I'm not familiar with labor law, perhaps there's some recourse or protection for companies where employees or potential employees are acting in bad faith but short of that they should probably be cautious about who they're hiring. Whether you agree with their goals or not, you should also agree that Netflix shouldn't be forced to act against their own interests.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Did anyone see the story of the pregnant woman suing after getting a ticket for driving in the car pool lane in Texas. Saying her unborn child counted as a person.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjk8...rce=reddit.com
    It makes sense to be honest.

As a general principle, I have no problem with women who are pregnant being able to use a carpool lane.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard about it. So, this begs the important question: where has Fled Cruz run off to THIS time?

Stay safe down there.
    He is a federal legislator. He shouldn't have much say over state power policy.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    If the economy's going well he'll win reelection, and if it's not he'll likely lose. Same thing that happened with Trump. If the pandemic hadn't happened he likely would have coasted to reelection despite his other actions.

Also, while black folk are a good portion of our base they are not the entirety of it and even those that appreciate Biden appointing a black woman (which again, not exclusively something black folk care about) likely aren't going to go from "meh, I'm going to sit this one out" to "oh damn, they really care about me! I'm getting out and voting." because of her. It's nice, but if it moves the needle for a person that much there's something seriously wrong with them, given the stakes right now.

Not appropriate.

It is the sort of cynical move I expect out of a Mayor Pete, he seems to be at that same sincerity level of a John Edwards, Clinton, or Gavin Newsom. But it almost worked for Clinton, and Mayor or Transportation Secretary aren't going to be impressive enough credentials for the big job he's clearly aiming for so Senator or Governor is a smart pursuit.

It is a calculated and cynical move, but it's politics and that's part of the bag. But those on the "opposing team" will point this out, and their base will ignore it because they want a win, and we'll move on. It's a character indicator, but it's not a dealbreaker for most folks and a successful strategy.
    Mayor Pete probably has the credentials to be a candidate for national office right now.

The main issue would be maintaining a profile if he's no longer in a presidential administration. It would be easier to launch a credible presidential bid in his 50s or even 60s as a sitting Senator than it would be as someone who hadn't held elected or appointed office for over a decade.

This may easily end up being a moot point. It could be that he never needs to run for office in Michigan. Maybe there's an opening in Indiana, or he ends up on the next national ticket as Kamala Harris' running mate.

There are some questions when it comes to residence expectations, since some successful people do move when their skills are in high demand, so sometimes it is sincere. It likely is best to leave it to the voters. It should be also considered a character indicator for someone to make an argument that they don't believe, like treating questions residency differently if it's a Republican or a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I'd expect someone like Mets to forever party like it's 1999 when it comes to justifying the GOP as best as possible for the rest of his life.
    I was responding to a point about the last 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I'm calling it now: Walker will have the lowest share of any Republican Senate candidate in Georgia in the past 50 years.
    If you guys say stuff that isn't meant to be taken literally, I'm not always going to always recognize it.

We come at things from different sources of information.

It's certainly possible for people to be informed about American politics, but not to be aware of a state's voting patterns thirty years ago.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

1. It is voluntary to share (if irrelevant to employment status, though you could say the same for race/gender/orientation/etc.).

2. There is a legitimate concern that some people might be trying to become employed by Netflix for activism rather than employment reasons. It's true that they may legitimately want to jump onto a sinking ship and be part of the Netflix team despite how they treat trans people and the general health of the company, but there's also a pretty good chance some people are looking to be employed to be a monkey wrench in the system and for a company that's already not doing very well they should be concerned with people looking to actively sabotage them.

I'm not familiar with labor law, perhaps there's some recourse or protection for companies where employees or potential employees are acting in bad faith but short of that they should probably be cautious about who they're hiring. Whether you agree with their goals or not, you should also agree that Netflix shouldn't be forced to act against their own interests.
    It is in fact illegal to take it into account as is. The Supreme Court's decision in the Bostock case to that in 2020, with a decision that had the backing of Roberts and Gorsuch. Even them asking for people to share 'voluntarily' is opening themselves up to legal liability under Title VII.

Refusing to hire or trying to screen out trans people because they're afraid they might 'monkeywrench' is discriminatory, flat out.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-12-2022 at 07:25 AM.

They may also want to use that kind of data collection to look good, to note how many trans employees they have.

Has anyone been fired or laid off from Netflix for being trans?

The firings in the past tended to be based on actions, like organizing walkouts, or leaking sensitive information.

Or is there something new going on?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

You know those various jokes people make about how comedians bitch and moan about being "cancelled" only for them to get a shitton more specials and appearances on Netflix?

Netflix is just being an enabler at this point.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    On the main page, there's a whole special about how Uber is an overall shitty company that exploits people around the world, not just in the States, but I'm going to assume it's from the Opinion section.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They may also want to use that kind of data collection to look good, to note how many trans employees they have.

Has anyone been fired or laid off from Netflix for being trans?

The firings in the past tended to be based on actions, like organizing walkouts, or leaking sensitive information.

Or is there something new going on?
    I said it fired its trans employees while indulging a transphobe, which remains true.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ority-n1282758

Two trans Netflix employees who allege the company retaliated against them for speaking out about Dave Chappelle's comedy special "The Closer" have filed federal allegations against the streaming platform.

The allegations were included in an unfair labor practice "charge" that was received by the National Labor Relations Board on Wednesday, board press secretary Kayla Blado confirmed by email.

The filing, obtained by NBC News on Friday, states that Netflix program manager B. Pagels-Minor, who was terminated, and software engineer Terra Field, who was placed on administrative leave, faced the company actions because they criticized it for streaming Chappelle's special.
    I am sure there are others who were let go during the mass lay offs, which thjey probably saw as a way to get rid of 'troublesome' employees anyway, as companies are wont to do.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-12-2022 at 07:49 AM.