Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yea I'm not too please with Dr. Biden calling me a breakfast taco.
    She's just saying that you're yummy!

*cough*

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    From what I read, her intention was good, her choice of words .not so much so.

Democrats have a Hispanic/Latino Problem. Many of them are going Republican and there aren't enough Latino/Hispanic Democrats in public Office. Those that are, are not getting the national attention they should.
    I don't know. If she's comfortable to make a comment like that in public, what is she saying in private? And with Biden having a past of saying racist comments, it makes me wonder if they are just wearing a mask for the public.

From what I read, her intention was good, her choice of words .not so much so.

Democrats have a Hispanic/Latino Problem. Many of them are going Republican and there aren't enough Latino/Hispanic Democrats in public Office. Those that are, are not getting the national attention they should.
    I am not going on the she is racist train. But for someone that claims to be as progressive on racial issues as she and her husband say she darn sure should have known better.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't know. If she's comfortable to make a comment like that in public, what is she saying in private? And with Biden having a past of saying racist comments, it makes me wonder if they are just wearing a mask for the public.
    She was trying to say that Latinos and Hispanics were not a monolithic culture, that they had a lot of cultural diversity within, and that everyone was unique.

She would have done better to skip the analogies and go straight to the content.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

It’s not like she was calling them rapists and killers.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    If currents trends in Latino voters are any indication it might have gone over better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's the part that kills me.

Sure, what was said was a pretty dumb gaffe...but what came before from President Trump and other Republican leaders was so much worse that it's just laughable how hard right wing news outlets and Conservative leaders are trying to spin this comment into something to be offended by.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 07-16-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Oh yea I forgot, racist comments are ok as long as they aren't as bad as trump's.

Oh yea I forgot, racist comments are ok as long as they aren't as bad as trump's.
    That's not it at all... it's pretty clear which comment is worse, it's not even hard to see.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Im not a Latino but the ones I know and the ones who have spoken out against what she said have said it was a racist comment even if it was well intentioned.

Since the comment was directed at them I will let them tell me how they feel about it. Not do what some talking heads have done and down play it because it was well intentioned.

Do I think it was racist? A little. There are lots of ways to point out Latinos Culture then talking about Tacos.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

If people are offended then they're offended no point arguing that... but the disconnect is just really weird because there weren't any Conservatives up in arms when President Trump said that the migrant caravan was just a bunch of rapists and murders and drug smugglers. Where was Rubio with comments about hurtful stereotypes then? Why weren't Fox News annalists talking to Latin community groups about their feelings then?

The answer seems to be that it fits an agenda to be up in arms about it now and it didn't then.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    If people are offended then they're offended no point arguing that... but the disconnect is just really weird because there weren't any Conservatives up in arms when President Trump said that the migrant caravan was just a bunch of rapists and murders and drug smugglers. Where was Rubio with comments about hurtful stereotypes then? Why weren't Fox News annalists talking to Latin community groups about their feelings then?

The answer seems to be that it fits an agenda to be up in arms about it now and it didn't then.
    It is simple. Because Trump said it and it feeds into the racist narrative that they spew every day.

But because it was the first lady that said it then all of the sudden they care about the feelings of Latinos. The same with the ten year old victim. The called her story fake and a lair. Then when they found out an illegal was the rapist they call so much about the poor girl.

They talk about what fits their narrative ignore the rest. Trump makes highly racist comments it is fine. Dr Biden makes a comment then it is all Hellfire and Brimstone vs racism and how badly we treat the Latinos in our nation. Then move on to a story about how illegals are the real problem because of the rapist busted in Ohio.

The difference on why they were not outraged at Trump but have fake outrage over Dr Biden is very clear.

Remember how Epstein died in Jail? Yeah, well, now Ivana Trump's death is in the same category. There is likely to be plenty of talk about it online.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

One guy's take...

(And I'm obviously not a guy that is going to cover for a Democrat just because they are a Democrat...)

This lady is the younger half of that couple, and I believe that she is still North of seventy.

The idea that someone whose ancestors came by way of Europe and is that old could find the most "Blockhead..." way to say something that is not, at it's heart, actually racist?

Yeah, I can easily come up with that in my head.

Past that, she did what she could to make it right once she had said it. That is something.

Not saying someone should not be insulted by it. Just wondering out loud if it was a hard enough shot that folks should be unwilling to take the apology that she offered afterwards.

Remember how Epstein died in Jail? Yeah, well, now Ivana Trump's death is in the same category. There is likely to be plenty of talk about it online.
    What do you mean? How did she die? I didnt watch the news today?