Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    This is still timeless:

Published in 2007:
    https://www.shortpacked.com/comic/opinions
    And its sad that the people will still cry their opinion is right even when released from the metaphorical headlock.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yea, they deleted the texts after the panel asked for them. But since they are texts, they can still be retrieved from the cell phone provider right?
    They did a reboot or changing of their systems or something. They were told to save emails and texts but that did not happen. And they have said they can not retrieve the lost texts. Several of the Dems have made a stink about this the last couple of days. Fox News is of course going with the doesnt matter. and its funny they care so much about texts and emails when we never got to see Clintions lost emails. And of course Hunters emails came up.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    And its sad that the people will still cry their opinion is right even when released from the metaphorical headlock.
    But, then again, I never said "my opinion is right", I said it's just my opinion and I recognize there are other opinions. You're the one who thinks you own the truth, apparently ha! That's when you're not writing just insults, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    They were shot. In the head. But in Ohio the guns laws are pretty lax. Dont have to have a conceal Carry permit, dont have to tell a police officer if you have a gun unless they ask. The kid that did the shooting is underage so clearly his gun was not legal. But Clermont County does have an issue with guns. I am a felon with a mental health disorder and I know 3 places I can get a gun (Not legally of course) by the end of the day. One of them is from a legal shop I just cant get it legally. They have been investigated more then once and are the targets of an investigation right now. So yea huge gun problem here. Not like the big cites and our murder rate is not huge. But still a problem.

Edit - The gun law about carrying and not telling cops is only for people that can legally get a gun.
    Some Republicans will say "But it's the criminals who killed them, not the guns!" hahahahah

I honestly wouldn't know where to buy a handgun here, even illegally. I have no idea how that can be done. And legally it's impossible for me, of course.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Thousands of commuters will be inconvenienced because German rail will take 4 regional commuter trains completely offline for the next 4 days because of "an unusually high percentage of staff calling in sick."

Must be some bug going around. This has NEVER happened in post war Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I find the "stunt" accusations especially funny because, like...using the implication that the Democrats are using this to pander to their base for the midterms as a negative. Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the whole idea of a representative Democracy supposed to be that we elect representatives based on them sharing our views and working towards implementing them...IE people seem to want this, and they are taking steps to do it??? (lol)
    The main argument would be that it's not necessary and we have finite resources.

The argument would be that there are serious problems in the country, and legislators chose to focus on an issue that is popular but that won't change anything, because things people are worried about won't happen, and voting for the bill implies that this is a country where we have to worry that there's sufficient political support to ban interracial and gay marriage.

A counterview would be that it is important to reassure people that the state will protect their marriages, in the event political figures are mistaken about how judges or certain county executives are going to make their decisions going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    We would need to establish which opinion is factually incorrect. Saying something is untrue doesn't make it so.

And we certainly don't want to be on the wrong side of saying that something is so objectively true it's a fact and not a matter of opinion.

In the example of the comic strip, someone is mistaken about a business practice. But there's still room for debate about best practices.

I postulate that no truly moral human being can have Republican friends, especially those who stand with Trump. It's a contradiction.
    Man, that's messed up.

I hope other people call you out on this.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Thousands of commuters will be inconvenienced because German rail will take 4 regional commuter trains completely offline for the next 4 days because of "an unusually high percentage of staff calling in sick."

Here in the US that would sound like a Strike, is there any reason for that to happen?

I lived in Germany and found the trains were always very reliable, unlike here in the UK. That is strange indeed.

Here there's staff shortages at airports etc. but it's because of several factors, not a one-off thing like that seems to indicate over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Man, that's messed up.

I hope other people call you out on this.
    It is. It's so radical it's something out of the MAGA playbook, just on the other side of the spectrum but it's the exact same thing/ attitude.

No one will call him out on that as several others here have the exact same radical and divisive notions.
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    And now this video is trending on Twitter, this didn't necessarily age well:
    https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/stat...8RXiA1z6A&s=08
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.

It's not about the opinion.
    It's about the truthfulness, and the level of debate. If you are truly unaware of Popper's paradox in 2022 (or refuse to acknowledge it), then you deserve to be called out. If you lie, you deserve to be called out. If you act like a hypocrite, you deserve to be called out.
    Ask your English teacher colleague.
    There should be consistent standards in how we treat others.

If the standard is that it's okay to be rude to be someone unfamiliar with Popper's Paradox, then it stands to reason that it is appropriately rude to people unfamiliar with other stuff.

If he has to acknowledge the argument, that is the standard to which your own side should be held. Though I would disagree with the idea that we can make this kind of insistence regarding another person's time.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Your right. I dont talk about Europe. because the things I see on the news from there do not make me at all qualified to say I know even a 10th of what is going on in the days to life there. I read the stories posted here, I see the comments posted by those from Europe. But that in no way makes me fully understand what is going on. You can tell me about Europe all day and I wont fully get it. The same way I can tell some one from Europe all day about America and small town America like where I live and neither of us will fully understand, because stories on the news, and links to websites are not at all the same as living it day to day.

Racism in America is not the same as Racism (Not trying to downplay wither I have had hard time explaining here but cultures belief systems and groups are not the same) in Europe the political parties are not the same. The cultures and beliefs are not the same. That is a fact.

You cant judge the Dems or the GOP fully because they are not the same in your neck of the woods as mine. Same way I cant judge the European political system because they are not the same and I dont live it.
    You have some good points about the importance of local knowledge, but I think we should be comfortable talking about areas where we don't have direct experience. The important thing is to be humble, and to recognize that frames of reference that you're used to might not be applicable.

Another potential trap is to become overly reliant on local knowledge, to assume that the norms of your particular community apply all over. That can lead to some weird assumptions. For example, a big reason many Republicans believe that Biden stole the election is that Trump was really popular among their community, when he became much less popular with different communities.

An important attribute is to the ability to be able to consider where other people are coming from, and why they believe the things they do. We shouldn't just give up the effort because their background is different.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Well, they just started re-arming. Now we just need someone to get the trains running on time. (I know that's Mussolini, just making a joke). Saw a short video of Macron making a similar joke on a call where the German official was late for the call, "Uh oh, first they're rearming and now they're no longer punctual."

Anyhoo, revisiting the "6 pages of nonsense" as we can see a continuing trend here (thankfully no longer on the topic of trans rights) can we agree people on this board in general like the back and forth? Even if it's a bit of a dogpile?

If the standard is that it's okay to be rude to be someone unfamiliar with Popper's Paradox, then it stands to reason that it is appropriately rude to people unfamiliar with other stuff.
    And I'm not even unfamiliar with Popper's Paradox, not sure where that came from HAHA, it was like a mob snowball. It's also funny how some folks consider that Paradox "the truth and everything else is wrong". Wow...!

And I think folks don't really understand what it means, which is quite sad when you're using it as a basis for whatever you're trying to defend:
    "I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be most unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal, in the same way as we should consider incitement to murder, or to kidnapping, or to the revival of the slave trade, as criminal."

It seems that "the intolerant" actually applies to folks who insult and refuse to engage in debate
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Anyhoo, revisiting the "6 pages of nonsense" as we can see a continuing trend here (thankfully no longer on the topic of trans rights) can we agree people on this board in general like the back and forth? Even if it's a bit of a dogpile?
    I certainly do, this is fun. As long as I'm not getting insulted it's all good - and even then... haha

Oh, and as long as I don't have to read childish nonsense (it's MAGA level, really) such as:

"No. This is not opinion. YOU ARE FACTUALLY INCORRECT." - by Scourge, Dr. Scourge
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 10:33 AM.

If he has to acknowledge the argument, that is the standard to which your own side should be held. Though I would disagree with the idea that we can make this kind of insistence regarding another person's time.

You have some good points about the importance of local knowledge, but I think we should be comfortable talking about areas where we don't have direct experience. The important thing is to be humble, and to recognize that frames of reference that you're used to might not be applicable.

Another potential trap is to become overly reliant on local knowledge, to assume that the norms of your particular community apply all over. That can lead to some weird assumptions. For example, a big reason many Republicans believe that Biden stole the election is that Trump was really popular among their community, when he became much less popular with different communities.

An important attribute is to the ability to be able to consider where other people are coming from, and why they believe the things they do. We shouldn't just give up the effort because their background is different.
    I know it is not the norm for each area. That is what I pointed out. I know about the areas I lived. But I know nothing about Europe. That was the whole point of my post. And you are right. Too m any people do think what works in their area works for all. Even here in my county there are differences in some areas.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.