Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know it is not the norm for each area. That is what I pointed out. I know about the areas I lived. But I know nothing about Europe. That was the whole point of my post. And you are right. Too m any people do think what works in their area works for all. Even here in my county there are differences in some areas.
    There's areas of Europe I know absolutely nothing about, besides what I can see on the news - if those areas show up on the news at all. Almost 800 million souls and I don't know how many different languages, even just to be able to visit all countries is quite challenging.

It's interesting because:
    https://www.npr.org/2022/06/29/11074...ransition-poll

"The NPR/Ipsos poll shows that nearly two-thirds of Americans (63%) are opposed to allowing transgender women and girls to compete on teams that align with their gender identity, while 24% overall support that."

"Among Democrats, opinion is fairly split: a plurality, 46%, support trans female athletes' right to compete on women's and girls sports teams, while 41% oppose it."
    41% of democrats are "bigots!" Almost half!

"Independent voters oppose trans female athletes right to compete by 3:1 (21% support; 63% oppose)."
    63% of independents are "bigots!" Almost two thirds!

(and obviously all Republicans are "bigots!")

https://www.forbes.com/sites/madelin...ts-poll-finds/
    "Only 3 In 10 Americans Support Trans Athletes’ Participation In Female Sports"
    70% of Americans are "bigots!"

My takeaway: a clear and sizeable majority of US citizens are "bigots!". I would change countries...
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Anyhoo, revisiting the "6 pages of nonsense" as we can see a continuing trend here (thankfully no longer on the topic of trans rights) can we agree people on this board in general like the back and forth? Even if it's a bit of a dogpile?
    To be fair it looks like the "far left" side isn't the only one "cheerleading" now. But yes, finding another swamp upon waking up was unfortunate.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Man, that's messed up.

I hope other people call you out on this.
    If this is you trying to organize a dogpile against me, I'm wishing you the best of luck. Being friends with fascists and fascist enablers is an amoral thing to do. I'll die on that hill if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    If this is you trying to organize a dogpile against me, I'm wishing you the best of luck. Being friends with fascists and fascist enablers is an amoral thing to do. I'll die on that hill if I have to.
    Apparently that means 63%-70% of the US are "fascist" and "fascist enablers", as per my post above, no wonder you had to move to Germany, I would've moved too!

Want to make clear that I have no interest or enjoyment in a "dogpile" against you (or against anyone else, for that matter)
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-21-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I certainly do, this is fun. As long as I'm not getting insulted it's all good - and even then... haha

Oh, and as long as I don't have to read childish nonsense (it's MAGA level, really) such as:

"No. This is not opinion. YOU ARE FACTUALLY INCORRECT." - by Scourge, Dr. Scourge

Dear god.

Congratulations. Your repeated and stridently voiced 'opinions' and insults have made this thread unreadable. I'm sure you think you are being oh so clever, but all you've done is reveal yourself and antagonize practically everyone. I'm done.

To everyone else, thank you for posts and the info and the laughs.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    To be fair it looks like the "far left" side isn't the only one "cheerleading" now. But yes, finding another swamp upon waking up was unfortunate.
    "far left"? I am sorry but I used that term and was immediately branded a "bigot" and a "fascist"! (and a "PoS")

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Apparently that means 63%-70% of the US are "fascist" and "fascist enablers", as per my post above, no wonder you had to move to Germany, I would've moved too!
    I am German by birth. Did not have to move here.

I believe the media is in large part at fault for the sweeping characterizations that each party accuses the other of having. I haven't seen much mention of this:

A Record Number of Black Republicans Are Running for Office. They're Revolutionizing the GOP
    https://www.newsweek.com/record-numb...pinion-1715061

A record number of Black Republican candidates are running for congressional office this year. The National Republican Congressional Committee counted 81 African American candidates running under the GOP banner in 72 congressional districts in 2022. This is more than a 50 percent increase over the 2020 election cycle. And if the GOP knows what's good for it, this will be the start of a new era in right-wing politics.

But now, in the post-Trump era, it appears the GOP is beginning to embrace a new strategy, one that includes supporting minority and female candidates to appeal to a broader swath of voters. One of the lessons the party seems to have learned of late is that representation matters. And in a movement that purports to eschew identity politics, it appears that at least some in the leadership understand that one crucial part of winning over Black voters, in particular, is to make sure they see people in the party who look like them.

I have long criticized the Republican Party for its refusal to engage with Black Americans in a meaningful way. Instead of working to make inroads with African Americans, the establishment made excuses for why they couldn't, shouldn't, or wouldn't spend time striving to earn their votes.

Now, it seems that a slow, much-needed change is in the works. A record number of Black Republicans are running—and they're revolutionizing the party of Lincoln.
    Is it possible that these 81 African American candidates support far-right policies? That they're all brainwashed? Sure it's possible but I think it's much more nuanced than that. Perhaps we're looking at people of the party trying to change it from within. The problem is that this kind of news is largely unknown/ignored. Most media outlets thrive on emotion-stirring so they're not going to dig into these new developments, allowing people to continue to believe that the GOP is a party only for white, Christian men. That everyone in the party thinks exactly the same.

Those trying to make a change have to be recognized in order for change to happen, not ignored.

Prayers for a speeding recovery to Biden.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I am German by birth. Did not have to move here.
    I lived in Munich for some years, probably the safest and cleanest large city I've lived in. Und Wiesn!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I believe the media is in large part at fault for the sweeping characterizations that each party accuses the other of having. I haven't seen much mention of this:

A Record Number of Black Republicans Are Running for Office. They're Revolutionizing the GOP
    https://www.newsweek.com/record-numb...pinion-1715061

Is it possible that these 81 African American candidates support far-right policies? That they're all brainwashed? Sure it's possible but I think it's much more nuanced than that. Perhaps we're looking at people of the party trying to change it from within. The problem is that this kind of news is largely unknown/ignored. Most media outlets thrive on emotion-stirring so they're not going to dig into these new developments, allowing people to continue to believe that the GOP is a party only for white, Christian men. That everyone in the party thinks exactly the same.

Those trying to make a change have to be recognized in order for change to happen, not ignored.

Prayers for a speeding recovery to Biden.
    Then let's see that in action. When actions and policies and rhetoric are not matching this "change" why should guessing be reported? You are making a guess here as to what you think is going on. And I would love for that to be the case actually because it would mean a rejection of the hateful GOP base that is and has been driving policy.

Liz Cheney was mentioned earlier for example. Her voting record is hardcore conservative. But she's being tarred and feathered for basically doing her actual job and not falling lock step in the MAGA base bs. Isn't she actually behind in her re election bid specifically for this?

It's the media's fault that the GOP doesn't change? What happens in these internal GOP meetings where they vote on agendas and party platform that get adopted? If there were so many agents of change in the GOP why hasn't it been seen in actual effect? Media blame for that? Really?

I can see why people are not big on being friends with others of a different belief systems. It adds stress to what should be an enjoyable thing. Hanging out and talking with friends. I hear people say "Well just dont bring politics into it." I have not seen any one on either side that respects that much.

I let my aunt live here for a long time. Longer then I should have. She is a hardcore Trumper as her friends are. I threw her out of my home a few weeks ago. I got tied of the bie lie being repeated, I got tired of the "Its all the immigrants and blacks fault." I got tired of the homophobia. It got to the point I was stressed in my own home because everything led to some yelling match about politics or the fact I would not allow her Hardcore Trump friends in my home to visit her.

I got tied of the hate and lies in my own home. She can believe what she wants but she damn sure is not doing it in a home I pay for.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Tudor Dixon, a top-polling contender in the GOP primary for Michigan governor, recently argued that young incest survivors who were impregnated by their rapist are a perfect case in support of banning abortion.

Dixon offered that take as she was discussing her aggressive opposition to abortion during an interview on “The No BS Newshour” podcast on Friday.

In the interview, which was first unearthed by the Chicago-based news outlet Heartland Signal, podcast host Charlie LeDuff asked Tudor about her position that abortion should only be allowed to save the life of the mother, and whether the GOP candidate truly believes there cannot be any other exceptions, including incest.

“The question would be like, a 14-year-old who, let’s say, is a victim of abuse by an uncle,” LeDuff said before Dixon interrupted to say “Yeah, perfect example.”

“You’re saying carry that?” the podcast host asked, finishing his question.

Dixon said she knew people “who are the product” of rape and incest.

“A life is a life for me,” the Republican candidate said. “That’s how it is.”

Dixon doubled down on her position in a statement to HuffPost on Wednesday.
    https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/g...e-abortion-ban

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Then let's see that in action. When actions and policies and rhetoric are not matching this "change" why should guessing be reported? You are making a guess here as to what you think is going on. And I would love for that to be the case actually because it would mean a rejection of the hateful GOP base that is and has been driving policy.

Liz Cheney was mentioned earlier for example. Her voting record is hardcore conservative. But she's being tarred and feathered for basically doing her actual job and not falling lock step in the MAGA base bs. Isn't she actually behind in her re election bid specifically for this?

It's the media's fault that the GOP doesn't change? What happens in these internal GOP meetings where they vote on agendas and party platform that get adopted? If there were so many agents of change in the GOP why hasn't it been seen in actual effect? Media blame for that? Really?
    Yes from what I understand Cheney is behind in her primary numbers.

And to answer all of your questions, I don't know. I said I believe the media is at fault for not showing that these things are happening. Were you aware that a record number of Black Republicans were running? I find this to be important information. But we know change, especially in government, can take a long time. AOC is often upset at her own party, often at odds with the older guard. It's not easy taking on a massive structure that's been in place for a long time, but it won't happen if people don't try.

This is why I think the two-party system needs to change. Perhaps some of these new Republicans are more in line with some Democrats than they are with others in their own party.
    Last edited by JB; 07-21-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I can see why people are not big on being friends with others of a different belief systems. It adds stress to what should be an enjoyable thing. Hanging out and talking with friends. I hear people say "Well just dont bring politics into it." I have not seen any one on either side that respects that much.

I let my aunt live here for a long time. Longer then I should have. She is a hardcore Trumper as her friends are. I threw her out of my home a few weeks ago. I got tied of the bie lie being repeated, I got tired of the "Its all the immigrants and blacks fault." I got tired of the homophobia. It got to the point I was stressed in my own home because everything led to some yelling match about politics or the fact I would not allow her Hardcore Trump friends in my home to visit her.

I got tied of the hate and lies in my own home. She can believe what she wants but she damn sure is not doing it in a home I pay for.
    It depends on whether people are radicals on the left/right or if they're more moderate and can agree to disagree, or can have a civilized discussion without getting into insults and name calling, where it's all just emotions. Sometimes it's not just about politics, it can also be about sports and... well... there was a thread about X-Men in the MCU Universe that had a ton of posts deleted as things were getting nasty (you've probably seen that thread, I think I saw you posting there).