Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Why would he. He doesnt want to piss off his voting base.
    Denouncing Nazis should be easy but Republicans apparently have great difficulty with it.

It's not like DeSantis doesn't have a history of looking the other way at white supremacists demonstrations, though.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-25-2022 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Denouncing Nazis should be easy but Republicans apparently have great difficulty with it.

It's not like DeSantis doesn't have a history of looking the other way at white supremacists demonstrations, though.
    It would be easy for normal people. But the GOP has made it clear they want the support of hate groups, that they believe the same things and they openly praise these people.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-25-2022 at 05:09 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Meanwhile The GOP are going all on on Christian nationalism

As Trump tells Supporters at his rally Americans Knee to God and God alone

Meanwhile from Marjorie Taylor Greene in an interview
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marjo...b081f3a9007344

And here is a No Duh why did you think it would be any different as Gay GOP members in Texas say they have failed in their fight for acceptance and change in the Texas GOP.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07...n-republicans/
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    it would be easy for normal people. But the GOP has made it clear they want the support of hate groups, that they believe the same things and they openly praise these people.
    Bingo! Neo-Nazis and white supremacists have been a key voting bloc for the GQP ever since Charlottesville in 2017, and Qpublicans aren’t about to kick them to the curb now.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Bingo! Neo-Nazis and white supremacists have been a key voting bloc for the GQP ever since Charlottesville in 2017, and Qpublicans aren’t about to kick them to the curb now.
    It is sickening. I dont understand how anyone still defend the GOP as a party that does not support racism and hate.

My aunt even said as much Sunday (Even if she didnt mean to) She talked about how she was at a restaurants and a gay man in woman's clothes walked in. And how he got all kind of nasty looks. She said

"What did he expect in Trump country full of Proud Republicans." I said "I thought Trump loved gay people. I thought the GOP did not discriminate against gays." She got red in the face and stormed out. I guess no more Sunday dinners.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-25-2022 at 06:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    No wonder conservatives in America loudly oppose democracy, they're as much reminded of their mortality as Putin, who continues to look less and less like his macho propaganda and more like a mad white uncle, but I guess still better than his grievance puppet Trump who always looked worse domestically and abroad, and as good as any obesity, irresponsibility stereotypes America could allow.
    Exactly. Demographics shifting, culture shifting, the end of the era of white/christian/hetero/male rule is clearly approaching and it scares the everliving f##k out of them. Democracy, civil rights, an economy that works for everyone, etc. are great when you know your group ultimately controls it all and it's mostly lip service/pandering to those outside of said group. It's a different thing altogether when "whatever the voters say" means listening to and being outvoted by other groups of people. Then it's less cute, and more of a "threat to our way of life".

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Putin is the ultimate midlife crisis politician of the century, maybe millennium, with Trump and the GOP freely attached to his death rattles if it goes on long enough.
    Midlife?

Lawd, I hope he won't live to be 139.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Texas is winning the battle against the elites:

As professionals flee antiabortion policies, red states face a brain drain

University faculty members in red states are publicly expressing concerns about the impact of exclusionary right-wing policies on their efforts to attract students and recruit qualified people to their institutions. Some have put out public feelers soliciting job offers from states with less-restrictive abortion laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

Where do you think they will get the goons they will need to intimidate people at the polls, in the name of "election security"?

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signs bill creating election police force
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Where do you think they will get the goons they will need to intimidate people at the polls, in the name of "election security"?

O love that he singed such an important bill at a sports bar.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

And what groups will bear the brunt of their "scrutiny" ? I am sure we will all be shocked at the data.

In June 1998, a group of gay and lesbian conservatives, pushing for greater representation at the Texas Republican Party convention in Fort Worth, found themselves in a frightening clash with members of their own party.

Members of the Log Cabin Republicans were protesting at the gathering of party faithful after a state GOP official made offensive comments comparing the group to the Ku Klux Klan and pedophiles. The group was also protesting the rejection of their request to host a booth at the convention — the second time in a row they’d been denied — where they hoped to share information about their organization.

Counterprotesters surrounded the Log Cabin members, wielding signs with homophobic slurs and phrases like “The Gay Life = AIDS Then Hell.” They pushed and spat and shoved their fingers in the faces of the gay Republicans.

Richard Tafel, the former executive director of the national Log Cabin Republicans which bills itself as the “nation’s largest Republican organization dedicated to representing LGBT conservatives and allies,” attended the Texas convention that year and recalls thinking he was in serious danger as they advocated for respect from members of their own party.
    More than two decades later, this year’s Texas Republican convention made headlines again for its attitudes toward LGBTQ people. The party adopted a platform in June at its convention in Houston declaring that “homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice.” That party position comes after similar language had been stripped from the platform just four years earlier, representing a backward step for Log Cabin members who have for years been fighting for acceptance within their ranks.
    Gay Republicans who have fought for acceptance within the Texas GOP over the past three decades told The Texas Tribune progress has been excruciatingly slow. Many of them have left the party, even as the number of Log Cabin Republicans in Texas continues to grow.

“I do not believe that we made any progress. In fact, I think the party got worse,” Carpenter, who is no longer involved in party politics, said of his time as the state’s Log Cabin president.
    And conservatives nationwide are taking aim at same-sex marriage. U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz said on his podcast last week that he believes the U.S. Supreme Court was “clearly wrong” when it legalized same-sex marriage in 2015. A majority of U.S. House Republicans last week voted against protecting the right to same-sex marriage. Only one Texas Republican voted for the measure.

State legislatures across the country have proposed more than 300 anti-LGBTQ bills this year, many of which target transgender youth.

“​​It saddens me that in a state where our biggest issues are infrastructure, development and education, we have child poverty everywhere, school shootings that are happening, that we're so focused on issues trying to limit the access to opportunities for trans youth,” said Christopher Busby, a former Log Cabin member who left the party in 2016.
    “We asked ourselves from time to time, are you gay first and Republican second, or are you Republican first and gay second?” he said. “I think in recent years, the mission may have shifted to primarily promoting the Republican party among LGBT people to help win elections. Current leadership seems [to be] ‘Republican first.’”
    Good lord what an embarrassing amount of failure. This is as clear an example as you can get of banging your head against the political wall. I mean literally all the progress from LGBT rights has come from the left not the right. These people are just voting against their own self interest and ensuring their own rights are curtailed. Get more GOP elected who constantly and consistently show you you should not exist? I mean they would still be in the closet unable to be seen in public even holding hands with the people that choose to love them if not for the Left and Democrats.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 07-25-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Another part may have been that with Biden no longer holding aid to Ukraine up out of spite that any window may have started to close.
    The aid withheld by Trump was restored in 55 days.

https://publicintegrity.org/national...d-ukraine-aid/

The main explanation about why Russia attacked in 2022 was that its position was getting weaker. If Russia wanted to force a friendlier regime, and eliminate Ukraine's status as a sovereign nation outside of Russia's control, it would not have better odds by waiting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Sometimes I wish for the days where I was more ignorant on Politics but now being more aware and getting in your face, I had to unfollow or mute people with views I support just for the sake of my mental health due the fact that when I expose with Trump cultists and Rallies doing thing, it makes me more of a bitter cynical person believing the worst i towards humanity. Despite I read comic books and get inspired to be a better a person by super heroes, I know I would make a terrible super hero. The kind of crap the X-MEN and Spidey put up with from the civilians that look like they are home with the Maga crowd, I would quickly turn against humanity or develop more of a Magneto point of view. I'm sorry to say this. I even put up with hearing terrible stuff from some of my few friends who would vote for Trump, thinking that assholes get the job done, using Jimmy Carter as a example that he was a great nice person but terrible president. They rag on me for my views and even say things like if we allow wokeness to prevail, it will open the floodgates that wont be any limit like Pedophilia being recognized as just another sexual preference.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    And what groups will bear the brunt of their "scrutiny" ? I am sure we will all be shocked at the data.

Good lord what an embarrassing amount of failure. This is as clear an example as you can get of banging your head against the political wall. I mean literally all the progress from LGBT rights has come from the left not the right. These people are just voting against their own self interest and ensuring their own rights are curtailed. Get more GOP elected who constantly and consistently show you you should not exist? I mean they would still be in the closet unable to be seen in public even holding hands with the people that choose to love them if not for the Left and Democrats.
    So Log Cabin Qpublicans who thought the leopards in their party would never eat their faces wound up having their faces eaten. What a shock. I don’t have so much as one iota of compassion for the Loggers who sold out their LGBTQ brethren for tax breaks, so they earned the trouble they’re in.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Well we had two efforts to force a cap on the "inflation"...both of which were blocked by tantrums by the GQP losers so...
    The Republicans don't think those efforts would have much of an impact on inflation. The party, and enough moderate Democrats, don't support price controls.

One criticism of the proposal was that it was quite vague.

https://www.city-journal.org/elizabe...asic-economics

If firms can be fined for raising prices during an exceptional market shock, that could incentivize them to cut production during a crisis of low supply because their choices may be to sell at a loss, or go through a hassle of proving to a bureaucrat with vague instructions that a price increase is just due to input costs.

Keeping prices artificially low during times of scarcity also encourages people to hoard when something is available.

Larry Summers, a former Clinton Treasury Secretary who predicted inflation was coming, thinks there's no evidence it'll work and that there are other steps that can be taken, including reducing tariffs and regulatory burdens like the Jones Act.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ach-injections

Big business doesn't like inflation all that much, because if profits are temporarily higher if people are willing to pay more for stuff, it gets difficult to make long-term plans because of the unpredictability of the market. It also raises their costs.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets