Extraordinary Member

Reports are that Salman Rushdie was stabbed on stage in New York. No further details yet. Comes about a day after a plot to assassinate Trump official John Bolton and someone else by an Iranian agent was revealed by DOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Oh, and in more good news, I just got an alert stating Polio has been found in New York City's sewage. Don't call it a comeback...
    Here in London too:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-v...e-virus-found/

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Reports are that Salman Rushdie was stabbed on stage in New York. No further details yet. Comes about a day after a plot to assassinate Trump official John Bolton and someone else by an Iranian agent was revealed by DOJ.
    Ah, the fanatics are at it again. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen to Rushdie more often. I hope he's OK.

My question how long before Trump sees his lies on this are so bad they cant be explained away or ignored and does his normal thing when that happens. Start to say why what he did was not a big deal and why the lies were not a big deal and how it was all for the good of the country.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Ah, the fanatics are at it again. I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen to Rushdie more often. I hope he's OK.
    Ugh, it seems to have been very bad. Lots of blood, elevating his legs to keep him from bleeding out, stretchered out to the ER. Wonder where his security was? Didn't seem possible for anyone to get close enough. Then again, it was a lecture, decades after the fatwa, maybe they thought no one would try?

Ugh, it seems to have been very bad. Lots of blood, elevating his legs to keep him from bleeding out, stretchered out to the ER. Wonder where his security was? Didn't seem possible for anyone to get close enough. Then again, it was a lecture, decades after the fatwa, maybe they thought no one would try?
    I think that in recent years things looked more relaxed/ safe for him. Obviously this shows that's not the case. In New York, out of all places. It's not like he went to the Middle East.

I have to say that, generally speaking, I'm a bit worried about growing islamic intolerance in western countries. Here in the UK a muslim mob were able to cancel the screening of a movie nationwide, a muslim politician in parliament asked for basically blasphemy laws to be introduced, several famous scholars and imams are openly saying that LGBTQ+ isn't different than paedophilia and "that they just need to add the 'P'", a politician was stabbed to death last year, etc. In Sweden there were massive riots not long ago because a quran was burnt - and the police couldn't control the mob.

I have some muslim friends here in the UK who've become atheists and they tell me horror stories about their parents, siblings and the general segregation of muslim communities in the UK.

At some point, I thought something like this - the attack on Rushdie - was bound to happen here in the UK, but he's been living in the US for a long time now.

Media are now saying he was stabbed "on the neck". If he dies, I am pretty sure there will celebrations and partying in parts of London, parts of Birmingham, Bradford, Luton, etc.
    Last edited by hyped78; 08-12-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Or maybe Rushdie had lulled himself into a false sense of security, perhaps forgetting that fatwa basically had no expiration date. Hopefully he’ll pull through. Meanwhile, the big question is if the attacker was a lone wolf or was directed by some faction to attack Rushdie.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Or maybe Rushdie had lulled himself into a false sense of security, perhaps forgetting that fatwa basically had no expiration date. Hopefully he’ll pull through. Meanwhile, the big question is if the attacker was a lone wolf or was directed by some faction to attack Rushdie.
    I think that's what happened - in 2022, he probably thinks (thought) he's safe. I didn't know this: "The book's Japanese translator was stabbed to death in 1991 and other people involved in publishing it were attacked."
    Last edited by hyped78; 08-12-2022 at 09:31 AM.

I have no idea who this guy is. But the fact that we live in a world where fanatics are just openly attacking people is troubling.

I hope he pulls through.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This is so sad. I'm sure, or I would assume rather, that he's never felt fully safe for the last 30 years and now this. I hope he pulls through too.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have no idea who this guy is. But the fact that we live in a world where fanatics are just openly attacking people is troubling.

I hope he pulls through.
    A world famous author who wrote a number of acclaimed literary works, but for this discussion, the important one was "The Satanic Verses" which...er...didn't go down well in the Islamic world. The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla then issued a fatwa exhorting the faithful to kill him. Then they offered a multi-million dollar reward for his death. Someone just tried to collect.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

I hope he pulls through.
    Yeah I was thinking about the Abe assassination. We live in some crazy times.

A world famous author who wrote a number of acclaimed literary works, but for this discussion, the important one was "The Satanic Verses" which...er...didn't go down well in the Islamic world. The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla then issued a fatwa exhorting the faithful to kill him. Then they offered a multi-million dollar reward for his death. Someone just tried to collect.
    Freaken Sick. I looked him. Just nuts.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

'Member when this country used to execute traitors for stealing classified information about nukes?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Seems like as the story on WHY Mar-a-Lago got raided by the feds develops... Fox News is slowly turning the volume down on the outrage.

As if they're realizing, "Oh, f***. We can't defend this one. He f***ing had nuclear secrets? And they have been asking politely for him to return them for six months and he didn't comply? F***! Just... f***, what a f***ing idiot our guy is. Just... back away slowly and pretend like we didn't trigger a stochastic terror attack in Ohio against an FBI office today."

Saw this summary of the week for the GOP:
    We can be sure they aren’t dialing it back because of concerns over the harm they may be doing to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Can't do anything that might make white people uncomfortable with their actual history, god forbid, by emphasizing that black people contributed to it especially.
    Next thing they'll want to teach about the centuries of brutality against the native populations.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

Totally not a cult.
    She should've called herself Sensative Ass Cindy.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-12-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe