Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    No fees. You just check a box on your registration card, mail it out and you're officially registered for the Party of your choice. The reason I registered as a Democrat is because in New York State, you have to be a registered Democrat in order to vote in Democratic primaries, which are often more important than the general election. In other states, the primaries are open, but in New York, you have to be a member of the party whose primary you're voting in.
    It's why I was registered as a Republican for so long. I wanted to vote in the primary in order to ensure a decent chance of a viable opponent to Mario "Go to Hell Upstate" Cuomo.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I love how you just gloss over that one side did it for public health and the other did it for instant gratification/political points.
    Both sides were doing what they thought was best. It's not like Republicans secretly believed that virtual schooling in the 2020-2021 school year was a good idea.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Debbie Wasserman Schultz hasn't been in charge of the DNC for over five years. That article is from 2016. Try to keep up, #30.
    If the best "Well, but..." someone has there roughly amounts to...

- "Yes... That is a rather clear example of the head of the DNC being corrupt when it comes to this, but it isn't all that recent..."

That says just about everything that needs to be said.

(Never mind that there are at least a couple of pretty obvious examples from this year...)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Both sides were doing what they thought was best. It's not like Republicans secretly believed that virtual schooling in the 2020-2021 school year was a good idea.
    This is just crazy. Storming the Capitol was doing what they thought was best?

C'mon man, covid restrictions and a literal insurrection are not comparable in any way, shape or form. I don't like "whataboutism" at all but there are examples that do translate in a logical discourse...but the one you're going with isn't one of them.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This is just crazy. Storming the Capitol was doing what they thought was best?

C'mon man, covid restrictions and a literal insurrection are not comparable in any way, shape or form. I don't like "whataboutism" at all but there are examples that do translate in a logical discourse...but the one you're going with isn't one of them.
    I think Mister Mets was referring just to school closures/ lockdowns? (at least I was)

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    It's funny. Regarding "whitewing" it's hard to make an argument considering that the top 4 jobs in Truss's cabinet don't include any white men (two black men, an asian woman, a white woman). She just appointed the most diverse cabinet ever in the UK:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...does-that-mean
    Oh, it's true. But White Supremacy has never had a problem finding people of color willing to put themselves out there on its behalf in exchange for wealth and proximity to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh, it's true. But White Supremacy has never had a problem finding people of color willing to put themselves out there on its behalf in exchange for wealth and proximity to power.
    True. But I would also argue that most (emphasis on "most") of the UK Conservative Party currently doesn't align with the type of toxic stuff you have there in terms of MAGA, Qanon, Trump, etc.

The radical right-wingers usually vote UKIP, BNP, Brexit Party, etc. (these parties come and go but the base is always the same)

There are racists everywhere, of course, and the Conservative Party has racists, homophobes, etc. Look no further than Suella Braverman, who is the new Home Secretary, one of the most important jobs in the cabinet. She is a woman of color, of Indian origin, and says stuff like this (recent interview):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...rman-2qfgj70rv

She also wants to withdraw the UK from the European Court of Human Rights.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-07-2022 at 05:54 AM.

True. But I would also argue that most (emphasis on "most") of the UK Conservative Party currently doesn't align with the type of toxic stuff you have there in terms of MAGA, Qanon, Trump, etc.

The radical right-wingers usually vote UKIP, BNP, Brexit Party, etc. (these parties come and go but the base is always the same)

There are racists everywhere, of course, and the Conservative Party has racists, homophobes, etc. Look no further than Suella Braverman, who is the new Home Secretary, one of the most important jobs in the cabinet. She is a woman of color, of Indian origin, and says stuff like this (recent interview):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...rman-2qfgj70rv

She also wants to withdraw the UK from the European Court of Human Rights.
    I'd strongly disagree with you on the notion of the UK conservative party not aligning with that type of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'd strongly disagree with you on the notion of the UK conservative party not aligning with that type of stuff.
    We might have to agree to disagree, but are you thinking of specific things/ episodes?

I would say that, generally speaking, Western Europe (I am purposefully not including the likes of Hungary and Poland) doesn't have the same type of toxic politics that the US has right now. Western Europe doesn't have a single far-right leader in power - unlike what the US had with Trump. Now... this can soon change as Italy are having elections soon and Meloni seems poised to win (also upcoming elections in Sweden and the Sweden Democrats - far right - will probably finish 2nd).

And regarding the Tories and racism, on the other side of the spectrum I also don't think Labour are a party of anti-semites - even though it's been pictured as such, as many people say that's the case and point to several Labour leaders being suspended or kicked out for blatant anti-semitism. That doesn't represent the full party and its base, I don't think so.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-07-2022 at 06:29 AM.

I think Mister Mets was referring just to school closures/ lockdowns? (at least I was)
    And I was replying to that chain of posts.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've been on vacation so I must have missed the news that there's evidence that Trump and several members of the House and a Senator or two called on people to attack the capitol.
    So you didn't watch the Impeachment or the Jan. 6 Hearings?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So you didn't watch the Impeachment or the Jan. 6 Hearings?
    And the multiple videos and social media posts of them encouraging and inciting violence...

And I was replying to that chain of posts.
    Yes. I don't know how we got from lockdowns and school closures to the capitol invasion but obviously those are very separate topics

Yes. I don't know how we got from lockdowns and school closures to the capitol invasion but obviously those are very separate topics
    Because Mets brought it up.

That Cool Guy:"When was the last time the Democrats stormed the Capital?"
    Mets: "Democrats have different sins. They went much further with limits on in-person learning, hurting the ability of millions of Americans (if not more) to reach their full potential. "
    And now it's "how did we get comparing the two? Mets compared the two. It's that plain.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

AP: Elected officials, police chiefs on leaked Oath Keepers list

The Anti-Defamation League Center on Extremism pored over more than 38,000 names on leaked Oath Keepers membership lists and identified more than 370 people it believes currently work in law enforcement agencies — including as police chiefs and sheriffs — and more than 100 people who are currently members of the military.

Can you make a living working for a country if you are also part of a terrorist organization?

It also identified more than 80 people who were running for or served in public office as of early August.