Pregnant women held for months in one Alabama jail to protect fetuses from drugs

Police arrested Ashley Banks on May 25 with a small amount of marijuana and a pistol without a permit to carry.

Under normal circumstances, the 23-year-old from Gadsden would have been able to post bond and leave jail until her criminal trial. But Banks admitted to smoking pot on the same day she found out she was pregnant – two days before her arrest. In Etowah County, that meant she couldn’t leave jail unless she entered drug rehab, leaving her in limbo for three months.
    She’s not the only one, according to attorneys involved in her case. Several pregnant women and new moms accused of exposing their fetuses to drugs have been held for weeks or months inside the Etowah County Detention Center under special bond conditions that require rehab and $10,000 cash.
    Jailing pregnant women without cause is dangerous to the mother and to the pregnancy.
    Last edited by Tami; 09-07-2022 at 06:39 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Memphis police warn residents as they search for man after multiple shootings

Police are looking for a 19-year-old man accused of shooting multiple people in Memphis, Tennessee, on Wednesday, who may have posted the violence on Facebook.

The number of people shot and their conditions were not immediately available.

Police tweeted around 7 p.m. for residents to be on alert for a man “responsible for multiple shooting." Police not provide additional information about the shooting locations.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The story/myth I heard regarding that was the King who said that was actually remorseful and it was done unintentional.

I have a hard time seeing January 6 as an accident.
    I can understand that. I mention it because to me, it might be the first recorded instance of stochastic terrorism.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Trump wanted vice-president Pence to reject (Biden's) electors from States that he lost narrowly, or at least to refuse to count them and require those States to pick new ("fake") electors. When Pence refused to go along with this scheme, Trump's only remaining hope to stay in office would have been for Pence to be forced to flee the capitol without conducting the vote count. That would give Trump more time to implement the "fake electors" scheme himself, before the vote count resumed at a later date.

BANNED

I'd say expecting a full-fledged confession from Trump that his specific intention for the crowd was for them to break into the Capitol and cause politicians to flee from certifying the election is an unrealistic expectation, and saying the lack of that specific confession is cause for dismissing any ill intent is similarly ridiculous.

A more realistic way to view the situation is to consider what his goals might have been to tell the crowd that a beautiful, perfect election was stolen from them and their democracy and voice was taken from them and that they should go down to where that election was being certified in favor of the guy they didn't vote for.

Knowing as much about Trump as we do, is it more likely his intent was to have them peacefully protest outside of the Capitol building? Would he view that as an effective tactic, or something losers do? If he wanted more, perhaps not knowing what exactly but to throw it at the wall and see what stuck, would he have been more satisfied with the outcome we ended up with? Do those of you who would absolve Trump, and you don't have to admit this on the boards, think he would have really been upset if they'd caught a Pelosi or AOC and physically assaulted them or worse? Keep in mind, this is Trump we're talking about.

Whether the other Republican reps truly believed the election was stolen, and whether in a vacuum/gun to their head they'd want to see a riled-up crowd storm the Capitol, once they signed on verbally in support of the popular head of their Party they now own a piece of that. They bought in, for good or ill. They may not be as guilty as Trump, but they are guilty by association and choice.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Trump wanted vice-president Pence to reject (Biden's) electors from States that he lost narrowly, or at least to refuse to count them and require those States to pick new ("fake") electors. When Pence refused to go along with this scheme, Trump's only remaining hope to stay in office would have been for Pence to be forced to flee the capitol without conducting the vote count. That would give Trump more time to implement the "fake electors" scheme himself, before the vote count resumed at a later date.
    Let's remember that Grassley did not think Pence would be present at all. We still don't know why he said that.

(We know why.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Pregnant women held for months in one Alabama jail to protect fetuses from drugs

Jailing pregnant women without cause is dangerous to the mother and to the pregnancy.
    Wow I can't believe this is happening in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'd say expecting a full-fledged confession from Trump that his specific intention for the crowd was for them to break into the Capitol and cause politicians to flee from certifying the election is an unrealistic expectation, and saying the lack of that specific confession is cause for dismissing any ill intent is similarly ridiculous.

A more realistic way to view the situation is to consider what his goals might have been to tell the crowd that a beautiful, perfect election was stolen from them and their democracy and voice was taken from them and that they should go down to where that election was being certified in favor of the guy they didn't vote for.

Knowing as much about Trump as we do, is it more likely his intent was to have them peacefully protest outside of the Capitol building? Would he view that as an effective tactic, or something losers do? If he wanted more, perhaps not knowing what exactly but to throw it at the wall and see what stuck, would he have been more satisfied with the outcome we ended up with? Do those of you who would absolve Trump, and you don't have to admit this on the boards, think he would have really been upset if they'd caught a Pelosi or AOC and physically assaulted them or worse? Keep in mind, this is Trump we're talking about.

Whether the other Republican reps truly believed the election was stolen, and whether in a vacuum/gun to their head they'd want to see a riled-up crowd storm the Capitol, once they signed on verbally in support of the popular head of their Party they now own a piece of that. They bought in, for good or ill. They may not be as guilty as Trump, but they are guilty by association and choice.
    Who suggested a confession is necessary, or that a lack of confession dismisses ill intent? You could have ill intent without Trump ordering people to attack the capitol. If he were to order an attack on the capitol that could come out in ways other than his confession (someone he paid to commit crimes coming forward, leaks, etc.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There's a messed up case in Nevada where a county commissioner who lost a bid for reelection seems to have murdered the reporter who exposed him.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/...death-2635486/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Government can't mandate coverage for drugs that prevent HIV infections, Texas federal judge rules

Backwards homophobic nonsense. Anyone can get HIV. This is the best preventative care and key component to the control of a disease that still has no formal cure.
    And Pelosi is right on with her comment. If this were to stand then why wouldn't birth control be next as against their religion.

For a group who 'justify' their Islamophobia with the threat of Sharia Law getting a foothold, they sure don't mind inflicting their "Christian" version of Sharia Law on everyone. So damn tired of their religious interference in my life and healthcare.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can't say I'm surprised about this revelation about the snake oil salesman running for the Senate here in Pennsylvania:

Dr. Oz owns shares of companies that supply hydroxychloroquine, a drug he has backed as a Covid treatment

Republican Pennsylvania Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz has financial ties to at least two pharmaceutical companies that supply hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug that he has floated as a possible Covid-19 treatment.

Oz, a physician and veteran television show host who is facing Democrat John Fetterman in the race for Pennsylvania’s open Senate seat, owns along with his wife at least $615,000 in shares of Thermo Fisher Scientific, according to his financial disclosure. Thermo Fisher Scientific’s website lists hydroxychloroquine sulfate as one of its available products. It is unclear when Oz and his wife bought the stock, or whether they owned it as Oz promoted hydroxychloroquine as a Covid treatment early in the pandemic.

Oz and his wife also own between $15,001 and $50,000 in McKesson Corporation stock, according to the disclosure. The company labels and distributes hydroxychloroquine sulfate, according to the FDA. It is also unclear when they bought McKesson stock.

Hydroxychloroquine sulfate is the anti-malaria drug commonly known as hydroxychloroquine, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors around the country, in part boosted by endorsements from former President Donald Trump and conservative media figures, have offered the medication to patients as a Covid treatment despite its questionable efficacy against the virus.

Oz’s financial ties to a producer and distributor of the drug, and his promotion of it as a potential Covid treatment, raise questions about what he stood to gain from its wider use during the pandemic. If he wins the Senate election, he could also face conflicts of interest as Congress grapples with a still evolving coronavirus pandemic.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But meanwhile, some of Netflix's own employees quit over the company's support of noted transphobe Dave Chappelle. So Netflix gets it from both sides.
    I watched Chappelle's special on Netflix a while ago. I didn't think it was funny at all... at all. It wasn't "just" about what he says about transgenders and jews, it's that it sounded more like a political rally than a stand-up comedy show. Whether Netflix should remove that type of content or no, I am sure that's a heavily debated topic within the company and I don't know what's the right answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's a serious claim. What have I lied about? The goalpost is whether prominent Republicans specifically called for people to break into the capitol. This is not mean to be a proxy for different questions about whether prominent Republicans did anything objectionable or potentially illegal.
    Sure, but until it's confirmed we shouldn't act as if it's a certainty.
    He likes to call others "liars" a lot, while making very silly comments

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Didn't one of those prominent speakers say "Trial by Combat"?
    "prominent"

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    For a group who 'justify' their Islamophobia with the threat of Sharia Law getting a foothold, they sure don't mind inflicting their "Christian" version of Sharia Law on everyone. So damn tired of their religious interference in my life and healthcare.
    All religious extremism is appalling, no matter what is the name of the god or the prophet

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised about this revelation about the snake oil salesman running for the Senate here in Pennsylvania:

Dr. Oz owns shares of companies that supply hydroxychloroquine, a drug he has backed as a Covid treatment
    He's a quack. But, from what I've been reading, I'm more worried about Mastriano, who sounds downright dangerous.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-08-2022 at 02:01 AM.

A few interesting polls came out yesterday for Florida:

Senate - Rubio vs. Demings
    - Susquehanna - Rubio +3
    - Fabrizio/ Anzalone - Rubio +2

Governor - DeSantis vs. Crist
    - Susquehanna - DeSantis +4
    - Fabrizio/ Anzalone - DeSantis +3

What is interesting is that Susquehanna's poll has a margin of error of 4.3% at 95% confidence interval and Fabrizio/ Anzalone has a margin of error of 4.4%, so statistically these polls are all ties.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    He's a quack. But, from what I've been reading, I'm more worried about Mastriano, who sounds downright dangerous.
    Same here. Doc Carpetbagger would be the lesser of two evils if he were to win that Senate seat, but Mastriano, already on the record for having contributed money to a website that’s deep into anti-semitism is angling to become the second coming of Ron DeSantis with his dangerously extremist views, like a full abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest and overturning elections he doesn’t like.

Yo, WBE! You might want to keep an eye on Mastriano because he’s deranged enough to warrant your attention.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-08-2022 at 03:31 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Same here. Doc Carpetbagger would be the lesser of two evils if he were to win that Senate seat, but Mastriano, already on the record for having contributed money to a website that’s deep into anti-semitism is angling to become the second coming of Ron DeSantis with his dangerously extremist views, like a full abortion ban with no exceptions for rape or incest and overturning elections he doesn’t like.
    There's also some video footage that seems to show that Mastriano was very close to the Capitol riot:

https://whyy.org/articles/new-video-...-than-he-said/