Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I don't recall ever hearing Prince Phillip's being called the "Prince Consort". Personally, I think "Queen Consort" is a title that sounds like "Royal Concubine". If she's going to be a queen, just call her "queen". It's not as if she has the power to declare war or order people to be beheaded, no matter what she's called.
    What does queen consort mean?

A queen consort is the female partner, spouse or companion to the King.

The consort is not a formal role, and is symbolic of the support the person gives the monarch.

It is different to the queen regnant, who is the ruler in their own right, like Queen Elizabeth II.

Before her, the previous queen regnant was Queen Victoria, whose husband Prince Albert was prince consort.

Historically, male spouses to the queen regnant have taken on the title prince consort rather than king consort.

However, the proposed title of princess consort for Camilla was "a bit of a compromise", royal family historian Dr Cindy McCreery explains.
    "Princess consort was a compromise that arose because of the sense of grief and anger, notably at the death of Princess Diana," she told the ABC.

"But also at the resentment in many quarters towards Camilla for what many people felt was the improper relationship that Charles and Camilla had during the time that Charles was still married to Diana."
    "We saw a situation arise where, [as] a kind of compromise position, Queen Elizabeth suggested that Camilla would be not queen but princess," Dr McCreery said.

"That's a very unusual situation in the normal course of events — the wife of a king in Britain is known as queen consort."

In February 2022, the Queen said in a special Platinum Jubilee message that it was now her "sincere wish" that Camilla be known as queen consort when Charles came to the throne.
    Why was Prince Philip not called king consort?

Prince Philip was the longest-serving British consort in history and held the title prince consort for 69 years.

Dr McCreery said it was tradition for the male spouse of a reigning queen to be known as prince consort to "bolster the authority of the woman".
    "But other than that, when there's been a queen ruling, it's really important that her husband is not confused in people's minds as somehow a king, and therefore he takes a title of prince consort."
    Prince Phillip was Prince Consort, only he was more commonly known as Prince Phillip.

A wife of a King could be called Princess Consort, or Queen Consort. Apparently, there was much debate about Camilla, until Queen Elizabeth made the decision.

It's possible that Camilla might be called Queen by the News Media and/or the Public...or they might call her something else.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

How sextist this whole thing is. The ruling Queen can't be married to a King, but a King can have a Queen as wife.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's why I was registered as a Republican for so long. I wanted to vote in the primary in order to ensure a decent chance of a viable opponent to Mario "Go to Hell Upstate" Cuomo.
    Does that mean that it's possible for someone who plans to vote Republican in the main election to first register as Democrat and try to screw them up by voting for someone unlikeable in their primary - and vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Government can't mandate coverage for drugs that prevent HIV infections, Texas federal judge rules

Backwards homophobic nonsense. Anyone can get HIV. This is the best preventative care and key component to the control of a disease that still has no formal cure.
    And Pelosi is right on with her comment. If this were to stand then why wouldn't birth control be next as against their religion.
    This is horrible. Let's be clear, those people very likely want gay and bi people to get sick and possibly die. Same as those who were against needle exchange programs, wanting for drug users to die.
    Christian values.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Pregnant women held for months in one Alabama jail to protect fetuses from drugs

Jailing pregnant women without cause is dangerous to the mother and to the pregnancy.
    Christian values strike again. This would also prevent those women from getting abortion if they want or need it, as it would be too late once they get out.
    I am waiting for the next step eventually jailing all pregnant women for the duration of the pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I watched Chappelle's special on Netflix a while ago. I didn't think it was funny at all... at all. It wasn't "just" about what he says about transgenders and jews, it's that it sounded more like a political rally than a stand-up comedy show. Whether Netflix should remove that type of content or no, I am sure that's a heavily debated topic within the company and I don't know what's the right answer.
    I like Netflix, they have a lot of LGBT+ content that would have been unheard of just a while ago. But I make no illusions about them, they will produce controversial content like Chappelle or Gervais specials as long as the money they bring in outweighs the money they loose by people boycotting them (which is not easy to do for LGBT+ people and allies considering the LGBT+ friendly programs I mentioned).
    I would suggest for anyone who is interested in transphobic or any similar offensive programs to not watch them on Netflix, as that will only help promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I think the hate is just insane and it makes no sense the lengths they go to make her some pantomime villain that stole a beloved son and has him under her spell. Like Harry isn't a grown ass man that makes his own choices. They will have "body language" experts analyzing her at the funeral etc.
    I believe the theory is that some of that demonization was done with quiet support of the Firm, as it took some attention away from sexual predator Andrew.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Ukraine is doing pretty good in last few days, but let's not forget that this will only enrage the russian orcs evn more, so we should expect more and more violations of all rules of war and more and more brutalities on civilians and captured soldiers.

And yes, there will be books and movies made about this war for decades to come. People are still milking the second World War now and there has hardly been any other war where the good and bad sides are so clear other than that one.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How sextist this whole thing is. The ruling Queen can't be married to a King, but a King can have a Queen as wife.
    As a married woman, I can attest to the fact that it is damn easy to be overshadowed by your husband, and it's not even anything that my husband has ever intentionally done.

So yeah, it's sexist, but it's reality. Just look at a deck of cards in Poker, A King ranks higher than a Queen.

The only way to minimize this is to make the Consort of a Queen a Prince [which ranks lower than a Queen].

When you are a King, nothing outranks that in Royalty terms. So his Consort could be a Princess or a Queen, and it really doesn't matter. Except that people think of Princess as young, pretty, and young. A Queen is always more mature. [Stereotypically]

I can't see Camilla as either a Princess or a Queen, but she has to be something I guess.

Judge dismisses Trump's lawsuit against Clinton and others as ‘political manifesto’

A federal judge in Florida has dismissed former President Donald Trump's sprawling racketeering lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and other perceived political enemies such as former FBI Director James Comey and Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., blasting it as a 200-page "political manifesto outlining his grievances against those that have opposed him."

What the suit "lacks in substance and legal support it seeks to substitute with length, hyperbole, and the settling of scores and grievances," Judge Donald Middlebrooks said in a scathing 65-page ruling released Thursday night.

Trump filed the suit charging a massive conspiracy involving Clinton, who was the Democratic presidential nominee in 2016, the Democratic National Committee, and numerous others who it alleged conspired against him to orchestrate what he's referred to as the "Russia hoax" — an investigation into the Trump campaign's ties to Russia and the Russian government's efforts to aid his campaign.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’m sure the Tangerine Toddler will whine all about that ruling to the dozen or so dopes who follow him on Truth Social.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    They only changed that system after Anne got her position. They did not demote Andrew and Edward, the less sexist version only affected those born after the rule was changed.
    Got it. Thanks for the info.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Does that mean that it's possible for someone who plans to vote Republican in the main election to first register as Democrat and try to screw them up by voting for someone unlikeable in their primary - and vice versa?
    Not in New York. In New York, you have to register as a member of a Party at least six months in advance of the Primary in order to vote in that Primary. We really make an effort to keep out the riff-raff in our Primaries around here.
    Watching television is not an activity.

We told you that Florida would be erasing gays from *all* education, not just 'the little ones'. What a shock that the hysterical libs turned out to be right again and the guys who defended assholes like DeSantis on this board turned out to be, yet again, wrong.

The Miami-Dade School Board voted 8-1 Wednesday night against recognizing October as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) History Month, even though the School Board voted last year to observe it. The district observes various months throughout the year — Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Women’s History Month — to teach students about American history. The School Board also defeated a measure to teach 12th-graders about two landmark Supreme Court decisions — Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 (recognizing same-sex marriage) and Bostock v. Clayton County in 2020 (finding an employer can’t fire someone for being gay or transgender). Opponents said teaching 12th-grade students about these landmark cases constituted “indoctrination,” although other U.S. Supreme Court decisions are regularly taught in American history courses.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I don't recall ever hearing Prince Phillip's being called the "Prince Consort". Personally, I think "Queen Consort" is a title that sounds like "Royal Concubine". If she's going to be a queen, just call her "queen". It's not as if she has the power to declare war or order people to be beheaded, no matter what she's called.
    He was called that, but probably more often as a description than as a title, though I guess technically that was his title, i.e. Prince Phillip as opposed to the Prince Consort.

I do think Queen Consort is a newer term. You don't find it used historically.

What does queen consort mean?

Prince Phillip was Prince Consort, only he was more commonly known as Prince Phillip.

A wife of a King could be called Princess Consort, or Queen Consort. Apparently, there was much debate about Camilla, until Queen Elizabeth made the decision.

It's possible that Camilla might be called Queen by the News Media and/or the Public...or they might call her something else.
    Okay, that is more understandable now, seen through the lens of Diana.

Prince Consort also has precedent, with Queen Victoria and her Prince Consort, Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Since it was a patriarchal succession until recently, of course it is sexist. It's still a patriarchy when it comes to power, especially in the US, where we can't get a woman president.

And it is literally why the first Elizabeth didn't marry. It would have been too easy for her power to be shunted to whoever she married.

As a married woman, I can attest to the fact that it is damn easy to be overshadowed by your husband, and it's not even anything that my husband has ever intentionally done.

So yeah, it's sexist, but it's reality. Just look at a deck of cards in Poker, A King ranks higher than a Queen.

The only way to minimize this is to make the Consort of a Queen a Prince [which ranks lower than a Queen].

When you are a King, nothing outranks that in Royalty terms. So his Consort could be a Princess or a Queen, and it really doesn't matter. [Stereotypically]
    Exactly.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Yes. Or if you have open primaries, I believe.

Except for the presidential election, I have voted Republican in the last couple of primaries to try and keep the crazies off the ballot, and voted Democratic in the general election. In a mostly red state, it can be the only way I'll have a say on who gets elected.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

This is horrible. Let's be clear, those people very likely want gay and bi people to get sick and possibly die. Same as those who were against needle exchange programs, wanting for drug users to die.
    Christian values.

Yes. These so called Christians would be happy if all gay people died. They are happy to cherry pick the Old Testament, and completely ignore the actual teachings of Christ.

But the point is, HIV is NOT a gay disease -- everyone can get it, so how this idiot judge is allowing this nonsense, is beyond me. I'm sure this will be appealed. Though given the sorry state of our judicial system now, rife with partisan Trump judges, and the awful Supreme Court, who knows what the final outcome will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    We told you that Florida would be erasing gays from *all* education, not just 'the little ones'. What a shock that the hysterical libs turned out to be right again and the guys who defended assholes like DeSantis on this board turned out to be, yet again, wrong.
    I really don't feel like Texas or FL are part of the US anymore. Hoping this also gets litigated, though at this point, that entire school board needs to be fired.

Yeah, but most people aren't that devious or willing to put in that level of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's fair to disagree with a decision to not promote something, or to not make material material mandatory to cover in classes, but that's different from erasing gays from education.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 09-10-2022 at 05:50 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mets, didn't you say there weren't any Reoublicans in office that supported the Jan 6th riots?

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...2F100217142022

Louie Gohmert flew to Miami yesterday to greet J6 defendant Simone Gold as she was being released from custody after serving her sentence. He presented her with a US flag that flew over the Capitol.
    Not counting the mysterious "tours" several GOP Congress people gave to people involved in the coup the day before. Open your eyes man, your Party is complicit and your Party's leader helped plan it.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-10-2022 at 06:58 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!