Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's really hard to come up with a system to fire judges for decisions you don't like that won't be abused against judges you like who do things that are controversial, but in your eyes necessary.

One underappreciated point is that Trump's insistence on a special master shows how atrocious his actions have been. He has allowed classified documents, which are supposed to have a well-documented chain of custody, to be intermingled with his own personal documents.

It's a bit misleading to suggest that the conservative response is that "they were probably illegal."

As a factual matter, the majority are almost certainly illegal (or to put it more politely, have not been granted legal citizenship and do not meet the strict standards for asylum.)

I do suspect that the existence of sanctuary cities, where the policy is to not enforce immigration laws, serves to attract undocumented immigrants, as an example of how inconsistent enforcement of existing immigration laws is.

The existence of sanctuary cities isn't the only thing that makes border enforcement more difficult. I also mentioned actions by the federal government.

A major one would be the Biden administration's decision to end the "remain in Mexico" policy.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-mexico-policy

The DHS pushed a new policy for ICE to end raids on workplaces where there were undocumented immigrants.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/10452...lace-raids-dhs

ICE officials were ordered not to prosecute anyone who had been in the country for twenty months, which led to 60,000 case closures.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...-facto-amnesty

The question about whether federal guidance to deportation officials violated federal laws will be addressed by the Supreme Court.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2022/07...supreme-court/

You may think these are wise policies but that's different from whether it makes it easier or harder for states to enforce immigration laws.
    The argument is whether sanctuary cities affect the numbers of illegals crossing the border and whether these cities impede the ability of Texas or Florida to patrol their borders. There is no evidence so any comments on your part are purely speculation.

I still think the money and effort spent on these stunts would’ve been better spent actually keeping people from crossing the border. Honestly, these actions point more to both these governors lack of ability to do their jobs.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 09-16-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Zelenskiy condemns ‘vile Russian act’ after strike on dam floods his home city

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...trikes-hit-dam

City authorities fought to contain the damage to its water system after eight cruise missiles hit a water pumping station there in what Zelenskiy has called an attempt to flood the city, the largest in central Ukraine, with an estimated prewar population of 650,000.

The Ukrainian foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, described the attack as “a war crime and an act of terror”.

“Beaten by [the] Ukrainian army on the battlefield, Russian cowards are now at war with our critical infrastructure and civilians. Russia is a terrorist state and must be recognised as such,” he wrote on Twitter.
    Ukraine says victims from Izium mass grave show signs of torture

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-police-chief

Ukrainian officials have said some of the bodies pulled from a mass grave outside the recently recaptured city of Izium showed signs of torture.

Oleg Synegubov, the regional governor, said some of the more than 440 bodies buried in a forest near the north-eastern city also had their hands tied behind their backs.

“We are at the site of the mass burial of people, civilians who were buried here, and now, according to our information, they all have the signs of violent death,” Synegubov said at the site.

“There are bodies with hands tied behind [their backs]. Each fact will be investigated and will be properly and legally evaluated.”

The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, on Thursday evening accused Russia of “leaving death everywhere” after the discovery of the site. He likened the find, in an area recaptured this week from Russian forces, to the previous mass killings of civilians in the cities of Bucha, outside Kyiv, and Mariupol.
    When will those damned fascist degenerates be formally recognized as terrorist country?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I don't know how to link on my phone but apparently Putin told Modi he's going to end his war in Ukraine. I wonder how true that is.
    Nah, he's now claiming that he's open to peace talks but Ukraine doesn't want it. He's deliberately ignoring the part where his troops are supposed to stop killing people first and GTFO of the country that doesn't belong to them.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Zelenskiy condemns ‘vile Russian act’ after strike on dam floods his home city

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...trikes-hit-dam

Ukraine says victims from Izium mass grave show signs of torture

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-police-chief

When will those damned fascist degenerates be formally recognized as terrorist country?
    I guess when they run out of oil and natural gas?
    I'm very interested in seeing what happens to Russia after Putin dies. If you have any insight, I'd be happy to hear it.

Nah, he's now claiming that he's open to peace talks but Ukraine doesn't want it. He's deliberately ignoring the part where his troops are supposed to stop killing people first and GTFO of the country that doesn't belong to them.
    From what I heard, his response to Modi was very much like "It's Ukraine's fault for not surrendering." I know many European nations are hoping sanctions will push Russian oligarchs into rebelling against Putin, but if it hasn't happened at this point, it will likely never.
    I have ideas as to what should be done about Putin, but this isn't the proper forum to air them.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

It's a bit misleading to suggest that the conservative response is that "they were probably illegal."

As a factual matter, the majority are almost certainly illegal (or to put it more politely, have not been granted legal citizenship and do not meet the strict standards for asylum.)
    Just to be clear. You're criticizing me for saying that the GOP is calling these people "probably illegal" just to justify their cruelty, only to yourself in the next sentence say that you think they're probably illegal and justifying the GOP's cruelty.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if Republican politicians are making assumptions about people and declaring themselves the sole authority of addressing their presumed grievances, or if they're just wallowing in abject cruelty for the sheer love of hurting people and inventing a justification afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Just to be clear. You're criticizing me for saying that the GOP is calling these people "probably illegal" just to justify their cruelty, only to yourself in the next sentence say that you think they're probably illegal and justifying the GOP's cruelty.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if Republican politicians are making assumptions about people and declaring themselves the sole authority of addressing their presumed grievances, or if they're just wallowing in abject cruelty for the sheer love of hurting people and inventing a justification afterwards.
    The reality is that no action on the part of Democrats is going to be acceptable. It's all about stoking the indignation and disgust of the most susceptible of their base in order to keep them donating and voting (but mostly donating).

It could just be that I misread you. I thought when you asked "Did we really go from "Republican politicians are kidnapping refugees" to "They were probably illegal..." that you meant to imply that there's ambiguity about the immigration status of the people sent on buses to New York City, Chicago and Martha's Vineyard, and that there's a real possibility that the majority are legal immigrants. If we're in agreement that the majority are trespassers (with the caveat that they may be mistaken in good faith), it's a different policy discussion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    That isn’t the argument. The argument is whether the existence of sanctuary cities is making border enforcement more difficult in Texas and Florida thereby justifying the actions of Abbot and DeSantis. That seems to be what Mets is saying.
    Since those sanctuary cities do not exist in those states-it does not justify what those two are doing.

Even if they were being sent to "create" more Democrat voters in those states as some claim-shouldn't the Republicans in those states have an issue with that?

Shouldn't ALL Republicans have an issue with this?

Biden is suppose to secure the border??? Where was this wall that Trump said Mexico was going to pay for?

And once again why aren't Abbot and Desantis charged with smuggling and treason? The Cartels in Mexico KNOW what is going to happen-don't THINK they haven't sent their agents across that border to set up shop in some of these places.

The racism of Tate Reeves is incredibly obvious.

Asked about USM's volleyball stadium in H'burg funded w/ $5M welfare funds, Tate said: "I'm not real excited about [HBCU] Jackson State building a football stadium."

Tate said to fundraise. Coach Sanders already donates half his salary for stadium repairs.
    When questioned about welfare fraud, he makes it about a Jackson based black college. F this guy.

Supporters of former President Donald Trump desire harsher punishment for a Chinese-American man who committed bank fraud compared to a white man who committed the same crime, according to new research published in the Journal of Experimental Criminology.
    Shocked face!

“One result we found especially surprising was that individuals who supported former President Trump were much more likely to support the use of deportation for punishing bank fraud when the individual convicted of the offense was Chinese-American,” said study co-author Michael Reisig.
    Bigger shocked face!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...98ffb3b67154f9

Oh my god

Doug Mastriano, the Republican candidate for Pennsylvania governor, was reportedly registered to vote in New Jersey until last year, opening himself up to the same carpetbagger accusations that have dogged Dr. Mehmet Oz.

The underdog GOP candidate grew up in the Garden State and voted in Jersey for 28 years until 2010, the New Jersey Globe reported.

Fetterman, upon hearing this, probably just cracked up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...fa001ef0f38f9f

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Considering the national security implications of the recovered classified documents, could the DOJ or Defense Department just ignore the ruling? I can't believe that one incompetent judge could threaten the security of the nation like this.

Also, I know they are lifetime appointments so that no administration can just arbitrarily fire judges they don't agree with, but there has to be some way to remove someone so unqualified from the bench like this judge.
    They have appealed the ruling now.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Every time I think something is so cruel it is literally indefensible...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh my god

I didn't know about this. This makes Mastriano even more of a dirtbag than he already is now.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Oh my god

New Jersey is used to "invasions" by New Yorkers and PA's looking for coastal summer homes by the shore. But this reversal is crazy.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

It could just be that I misread you. I thought when you asked "Did we really go from "Republican politicians are kidnapping refugees" to "They were probably illegal..." that you meant to imply that there's ambiguity about the immigration status of the people sent on buses to New York City, Chicago and Martha's Vineyard, and that there's a real possibility that the majority are legal immigrants. If we're in agreement that the majority are trespassers (with the caveat that they may be mistaken in good faith), it's a different policy discussion.
    First, I don't understand your use of the word "Trespassers".

Second yes they are legal Asylum seekers.

See this thread:

I volunteer as a translator with asylees coming through the Texas border and I wanted to make a thread on who these migrants are, what help is actually needed and why what DeSantis and Abbott are doing is so needlessly cruel.

Everyone is talking about it, but so few understand
    WHO ARE THESE IMMIGRANTS?

The first and most important thing you should understand, these are LEGAL asylum seekers. They are not illegals. They are not undocumented.

They have been given permission by our government to enter the US pending their official court date.
    The law ONLY requires that asylum seekers be present on US soil and that they present themselves to officials to request asylum.

That is it.

Anyone who calls them illegal immigrants is really telling on themselves and deliberately trying to confuse the issue.
    Once they present themselves to border officials, they are processed and then given a court date to officially plead their case.

This court date is almost always a year away and in a major city far from the border, like Boston, NY, Miami, Chicago, etc.
    You can always spot the asylum seekers coming out of detention facilities because they don't have shoelaces (story for another day) and they have court papers in one hand.

Another thing I would note, the Biden admin is STILL immediately deporting the vast majority of asylees.
    etc.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.