Now this is a switch, Russians are afraid that Ukrainians will attack their towns on the other side of the border.

‘They won’t invade, will they?’ Fears rise in Russian city that Ukraine war could cross border

The war has become impossible to ignore in Belgorod, southern Russia, just miles from the border with Ukraine. Russian soldiers retreating from the Ukrainian counterattack now roam the streets. Air defences boom out overhead several times a day. The city is once again filled with refugees. And, at the border, Russian and Ukrainian soldiers stand within sight of each other.

Three Russian soldiers from Ossetia are wandering the unfamiliar streets past the grand Transfiguration Cathedral late one evening. They seem unsteady on their feet, perhaps drunk or tired. And they’re looking for a place to eat.

Since February, they say, they have fought in Ukraine as part of the invasion force. They were stationed in the village of Velyki Prokhody, just north of Kharkiv, when the urgent signal came to flee back to Russia last week.

“What can we say? An order is an order. We didn’t have a choice,” says one wearing a hat emblazoned with a Z, a tactical symbol adopted as a patriotic emblem of war support in Russia.

As the Russian front in Kharkiv has collapsed and Ukrainians who have chosen the Russian side have fled for the border, a dark thought has crossed the minds of ordinary people here: that the war may cross into Russia.

Asked where they are headed next, the soldiers say they don’t know. But it’s likely, they think, they will be sent back south “to defend the border”.
    In Belgorod, the signals of war and tension are on display, even if most people believe the conflict is unlikely to spill over. Oleg, a restaurateur originally from Ukraine wears a shirt emblazoned with the phrase “Born in Kharkiv”, and has bought plywood boards in case he needs to cover his restaurant’s windows.

His business partner, Denis, has built a bomb shelter in his backyard and evacuated his grandmother from a Russian-held town in east Ukraine now on the frontline of the conflict.

Denis says he hopes that tensions will recede. But they are also taking precautions. “Nobody expects it to come here,” says Oleg. “But we have to be ready.”

In Belgorod’s central market, soldiers are stocking up for the winter, signalling that Russia’s war may stretch for the coming months or even longer.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If the states oversee elections then State Constitutions and State Supreme Courts count for that as much as State Legislatures do.
    Will they completely ignore state courts and constitutions?

Since when (In the last 20-25 years) has Republican Hypocrisy seriously hurt a GOP candidate's chances of getting elected in a red-leaning area?
    It's a big reason Republicans lose. The 25 year window stretches from the 1998 midterms when Republicans underperformed, largely because of the sense they were wasting time going after Bill Clinton, to recent special elections where Republicans have lost when they were expected to win. Palin's

I'd make a snarky comment here but as I am unsure I will ask directly: Mets, have you ever complained here about how cruelly anyone in america is being treated outside of those being accused of bigotry for whatever reason? I don't remember anything but I certainly could have missed something so I am asking.
    I thought the rape threats at CBR that led to the forum reset were disgusting, that the abuse of George Floyd was wrong, that the treatment of children in the juvenile justice system in Rutherford County, Tennessee and the way adults in charge avoided any penalties was wrong, that we should not criticize people for failing to conform to mainstream expectations of masculine behavior, that Marjorie Taylor Greene was wrong to suggest the Parkland shooting was staged, that it's a terrible thing to be racist, etc. etc. etc.

Plenty of my comments where I'm critical of the left come from a concern about how some Americans are treated, like the prevalence of the concept that punctuality is white supremacy and can't be expected of BIPOC, the Obama-administration guidance on sexual assault in college leading to some due process abuses, or the way policies have unintended consequences like a ban on employers searching criminal records of potential employees led to decreases in hiring of minority job-seekers without college degrees.

In the future, if you want to look up what people said, you could use the search feature in the forum combined with a key word that narrows down results ("disgusting" works in this case.)

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Aren't they doing that currently?
    Not sufficiently if there are sanctuary cities, or it takes a year to determine whether the typical asylum claim should be rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Not anymore, apparently they broke up but are still friends.
    Plus by all accounts, Rosario Dawson was rather progressive before she met Booker.

https://progressive.org/magazine/ros...-rounded-life/

That said, many people on the right aren't bothered by the political views of celebrities.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Wait? People in the right arnt bothered by political views of celebs? Is that why we keep hearing about how woke Hollywood is? Or how woke celebs are?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Will they completely ignore state courts and constitutions?

It's a big reason Republicans lose. The 25 year window stretches from the 1998 midterms when Republicans underperformed, largely because of the sense they were wasting time going after Bill Clinton, to recent special elections where Republicans have lost when they were expected to win. Palin's

I thought the rape threats at CBR that led to the forum reset were disgusting, that the abuse of George Floyd was wrong, that the treatment of children in the juvenile justice system in Rutherford County, Tennessee and the way adults in charge avoided any penalties was wrong, that we should not criticize people for failing to conform to mainstream expectations of masculine behavior, that Marjorie Taylor Greene was wrong to suggest the Parkland shooting was staged, that it's a terrible thing to be racist, etc. etc. etc.

Plenty of my comments where I'm critical of the left come from a concern about how some Americans are treated, like the prevalence of the concept that punctuality is white supremacy and can't be expected of BIPOC, the Obama-administration guidance on sexual assault in college leading to some due process abuses, or the way policies have unintended consequences like a ban on employers searching criminal records of potential employees led to decreases in hiring of minority job-seekers without college degrees.

In the future, if you want to look up what people said, you could use the search feature in the forum combined with a key word that narrows down results ("disgusting" works in this case.)

Not sufficiently if there are sanctuary cities, or it takes a year to determine whether the typical asylum claim should be rejected.

Plus by all accounts, Rosario Dawson was rather progressive before she met Booker.

https://progressive.org/magazine/ros...-rounded-life/

That said, many people on the right aren't bothered by the political views of celebrities.
    Ok.

My original point wasn’t really a commentary about whether the US should enforce its laws or not.

My point is how it should be improved so as to make things better for everyone involved.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Almost every day someone on the right screams about something "woke" Hollywood deal. I got friends who do this lol.

Yeah its almost like joking the right doesn't have Nazis who ran for political office lol
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Almost every day someone on the right screams about something "woke" Hollywood deal. I got friends who do this lol.

Yeah its almost like joking the right doesn't have Nazis who ran for political office lol
    Thats why I laughed at Mets comment. The Right doesnt care about the political views of celebs. When it is clearly 100 percent the opposite lol.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yeshiva University puts all student club activities on hold days after Supreme Court declined to block an order requiring the school to recognize LGBTQ club

(CNN)New York's Yeshiva University announced Friday that it would put all undergraduate club activities on hold, days after losing a bid to have the US Supreme Court block a court order that requires the university to recognize an LGBTQ student club, an attorney for the club said.

The university sent an unsigned email saying it will "hold off on all undergraduate club activities" while it "takes steps to follow the roadmap provided by the US Supreme Court to protect (the university's) religious freedom," citing upcoming Jewish holidays, according to a copy of the email provided by the attorney.

That email was sent two days after the country's highest Court declined in a 5-4 vote a request from the university to block a lower court order requiring it to recognize a "Pride Alliance" LGBTQ student club.

Katie Rosenfeld, the attorney representing the club, called the university's latest move a "shameful tactic" that aims to pit students against their LGBTQ peers.

"The YU administration's announcement today that it will cancel all student club activities rather than accept one LGBTQ peer support group on campus is a throwback to 50 years ago when the city of Jackson, Mississippi closed all public swimming pools rather than comply with court orders to desegregate," Rosenfeld told CNN in a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Wait? People in the right arnt bothered by political views of celebs? Is that why we keep hearing about how woke Hollywood is? Or how woke celebs are?
    I said "many Republicans" not all.

There seem to be three main conservative/ Republican views on the political views of celebrities.

One view is that it generally doesn't matter.
    Another view is that it doesn't matter, but they'd rather not always be reminded of it. Sometimes they just want to watch sports or pretty people at awards ceremonies without having rich people lecture them.
    There is a third view that it matters a lot, and we should all go see conservative agitprop like "My Son Hunter."

And if we're comparing Democrats to Republicans, we could consider how happy the left is whenever a celebrity seems to have a connection to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Ok.

My original point wasn’t really a commentary about whether the US should enforce its laws or not.

My point is how it should be improved so as to make things better for everyone involved.
    I definitely agree that we should improve things.

I suspect this is one area where there will be different assumptions about what we should do until that happens.

I think we should improve things, but I also don't want to incentivize people putting their kids at risk, or making inadequate asylum claims.
    Someone else might think that's important to improve things, and that one way to get conservatives to agree to major legislation would be to make it easier for people to get into the country, to loosen the standards for amnesty, to make it easier for them to build ties to the community. This way there's pressure for better policy but until then, millions will be on the path to citizenship, improving their lives and the nation.
    A different group might be in favor of open borders, so everything that results in more immigration is good, and they'll fight against any efforts at enforcement.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Thats why I laughed at Mets comment. The Right doesnt care about the political views of celebs. When it is clearly 100 percent the opposite lol.
    They whine about Hollywood in the abstract. If they had to name names, they wouldn't have anything they could watch

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Went to see Clerks 3 with my friends I mentioned before here. well I tend not to talk politics with them but some subjects I can't help myself, and well I cringed when they called Democrats hypocrites for not wanting illegals in their state, only want them on Texas, Cali, Fl. and two of them still love Trump with one made up his mind that he voting for him if he runs again, and 1 who voting Democrats admits to us that despite voting different, he would find a another Trump presidency as a source of entertainment. I kept my mouth shut since I'm not very good in debating with a bad way of words or being pressured to say something that I will make myself look ignorant and doesn't know what I'm talking about. I live in Miami, and my friends most of them are Cubans who were raised republican with toxic views from their parents who has a poor understanding of mental health in terms of men would not have depressed or emotional if they raised by men and rose up. They think my parents baby me by getting me a therapist and still relying on disability. Well as mentioned before, I'm going to Japan with these people and they are reliable in some areas and there for me while other friends moved on.
    Last time I CHECKED...

Arizona and New Mexico are NEXT to Mexico like Texas and California. Yet those states are NOT sending illegals to other states. Nor is Louisiana, MIss or Bama.

I dotn see too many people yell about an actor being a right winger until they tweet something racist and stupid. Then they lose their job and the right goes nuts on Liberal Hollywood and cancel culture. From what I have seen the right has a bigger issue on "Woke Hollywood." Then the left has with the celebs on the right unless as I said they say dumb stupid racist things.

Ultimate Member

The same right that was cancelling Netflix over Dear White People? Not because of the content but because of the TITLE.

Same with the comic book Black-a book about only black folks getting powers-to a point that the writer got death threats over it.

Same Right throwing fits over a Black Stormtrooper, black elves, black mermaids and Gender Queer.

Same right that seems to take issue with POC mainly black doing anything at DC & Marvel?

If they were not so bothered that wouldn't be trying to make up laws or calling boycotts.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I thought the rape threats at CBR that led to the forum reset were disgusting
    TF? I didn't know this was the cause of the reset. I guess those members don't come here anymore.

He said 'many' people on the right. When you are talking about millions of conservatives, even a small percent of them, like say 2%, can constitute 'many' people.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Say it ain’t so, Pat:

Pat Sajak Accused of 'Posing With Nazis' After Photo With Rep. Greene

Long-time Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak became the subject of online scrutiny this weekend after a photo of him with GOP Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene began to circulate.

It is unclear when and where the photo was originally shared. The Twitter account PatriotTakes, which describes itself as "dedicated researchers monitoring and exposing right-wing extremism," shared the photo on Saturday evening, seemingly sparking a wave of negative reactions to Sajak.

"Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak with Marjorie Taylor Greene and [Right Side Broadcasting Network] reporter Bryan Glenn," the account wrote in the tweet that included the photo.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!