Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Republican voters don’t want generic, they want fruit loops like MTG and Boebert. While Oz is far smarmier than either of those harridans, he fits right in with the deplorables who make up the GQP these days. Unfortunately, Trump also endorsed Mastriano, and that guy worries me considerably because he’s looking like Ron DeSantis 2.0, something my state doesn’t need after eight years of calm and stability with Tom Wolf.
    True, but Shapiro is up by 10%
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Florida continues its attacks on trans kids.

That instinct was right. The same day that Ladapo produced his memo, Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration, which oversees the state Medicaid program, opened an inquiry into whether Medicaid should cover gender-affirming care. A few weeks later, AHCA launched a new section of its website, branded “Let Kids be Kids”—and on it was a lengthy report concluding gender dysphoria treatments are “experimental” and did not meet “generally accepted medical standards.” To back up its findings, AHCA commissioned papers from such sources as Quentin Van Meter, a pediatric endocrinologist and the president of a fringe group of doctors who oppose conversion therapy bans and same-sex marriage. Another analysis came from Patrick Lappert, a plastic surgeon and Catholic deacon who delivers religious lectures against what he terms the “transgender treatment industry.” (A North Carolina court recently found that Lappert was “not qualified to render opinions about the diagnosis of gender dysphoria.”)

“These agencies are manipulating what are supposed to be the processes of government that are there to protect us,” says Nathan Bruemmer, an LGBTQ community liaison in Florida’s consumer services department. “If you look at the report, and what’s on AHCA website, and what’s mentioned in the public hearings, it’s the same bad research.”

Ten academic researchers whose work was also cited in the AHCA report told Vice News it misrepresented their data, which should not be construed to justify denying gender-affirming care to kids. “The report ignores solid scientific evidence and instead repeats discredited claims, cites to sources with no scientific merit, and engages in unfounded speculation based on stereotypes rather than science,” a group of Yale University doctors and psychiatrists concluded in an independent assessment.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ro...007d22fae66d53

It's all about the bigotry. Not science.

Medical boards are considered nonpartisan entities. But in Florida, two-thirds of the current board have donated at least $1,000 a piece to Republicans. Four have given DeSantis more than $15,000.

Yet there were others who pushed back. Kaleb Hobson-Garcia, a senior at a Florida State University, told the board how getting the support to transition in his teen years had allowed him to thrive. Michael Haller, chief of pediatric endocrinology at the University of Florida, explained that the state’s gender clinics already followed long-established treatment standards from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. And state Rep. Anna Eskamani, whose district includes the Pulse nightclub, pointed to the national rise in anti-trans rhetoric. “I understand the objective nature of this board, which I appreciate, but the reality is we are not here in a vacuum,” Eskamani insisted. “This is coming from the governor.”
    Florida is easily one of the most corruptly governed states in the nation.

And in June, two months after the Ladapo memo declaring a war on trans kids, DeSantis added a handful of new members to the board—including Patrick Hunter, an Orlando pediatrician who has emerged over the a last year as a vocal critic of gender-affirming care for children. Last winter, Hunter penned a letter to the editor of the medical journal JAMA Pediatrics critiquing the practice of gender transitions for youth; in May, he was hired as an expert witness by Alabama officials being sued over that state’s gender-affirming care ban.
    Stacking the deck with anti-trans ideologues who are literal fringe figures in the medical community.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-05-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Wow So it was the mother of Hershel Walker's son that says he actually paid for her abortion. He can't claim to "not know" the accuser anymore. And that lends a lot to her credibility along with the receipts. Then again GOP won't care about the hypocrisy and lying.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Wow So it was the mother of Hershel Walker's son that says he actually paid for her abortion. He can't claim to "not know" the accuser anymore. And that lends a lot to her credibility along with the receipts. Then again GOP won't care about the hypocrisy and lying.
    They screwed him but good. They waited for him to lie and then buried him.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    If you're thinking of evolutionary success as requiring nothing more than successful impregnation, then sure -- cishet gets the advantage, there. But the human animal did not become the dominant species on the planet just because we can mate really well. It's not even just the opposable thumbs. But our social capacity, which has allowed for collaboration over lifetimes, creating villages to nations to a world economy and communication network, rather than peaking at being a pack or a herd -- that's how we got so far, so arguably, our that is our greatest evolutionary advantage.

If our ability to interact and connect with such complexity is indeed key to our success as a species -- how do you know us non-cishet are not an essential aspect of that complexity?

Like, you are thinking it's a disadvantage if an individual is gay, because they're less likely to mate and produce physical offspring. But our society is obviously and by necessity more complex than the nuclear family, two-parents-and-kids system, which some folks seem to think of as the only "natural" human system. But I personally think it is possible that as systems grow larger and more complex ... well, the need for yet more cishet breeders perhaps does not continue just endlessly. Maybe variation happens because it allows the human system greater flexibility and adaptation? Which does sound like an evolutionary advantage, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I'm curious why 20 years. Why does it matter to the discussion at the moment, what will the numbers in 20 years be?

I agree. I think, if I was looking at the situation from purely logical and evolutionary perspective, I think we could maybe assume that the nature is trying to slow down the rapid increase of population in the last century, by making more people gay or trans, therefore less likely (though not completely unable) to have biological children. The planet is getting overpopulated really fast.
    To be clear, this is not my opinion, because I don't really believe in any greater power and see things as more random, just providing an alternative look at it.

Just to clarify, I was not actually suggesting that Nature has started producing more LGBT+ folks as some form of natural population control. I think the percentage of people experiencing and communicating personal and social identity in these particular terms is increasing. I do not think the population as a whole is really changing, at least in this respect.

Struggling to put this to words for some reason, but if you consider -- like, groups of animals? A pride of lions or school of fish, flock of birds or whatever, that sort of thing, right? How animals live and work together in the wild, for the greater benefit of the members of the groups, based on instinct and whatever other ways animals can communicate. Pods of whales, I think? I don't know what groups of dolphins are called, but you take my point. We also have really complex groupings like ants or bees, where -- you know, you'll have kind of a hive thing going, and they'll naturally organize to have like a queen and drones, all that sort of thing.

So, consider then proto-human beings, in the wild, in nature -- before we have laws or police or governments or money or weapons ... let's even say we're going pre- learning to use fire, pre- verbal language, even. How do we realistically imagine our earliest genetic ancestors organizing and communicating ... in neat, nuclear family units? Where each individual at a clearly defined stage of maturity, severs ties with their parents/caregivers and strikes out to find a mate; finds one, and those two work together as a unit, producing more kids who repeat that pattern ... and through this process, we eventually get villages? Towns, states, nations, other abstract concepts like religion and logic, that we have used together collectively to transform the world and ourselves to a degree that makes the organization of a hive of bees seem fantastically simplistic?

Family systems are and have been and need to be more complex than the nuclear family model, because we don't sever family ties with parents/grandparents/siblings/cousins/etc when we reach adulthood and perhaps produce children of our own. For that matter, the parents/siblings/etc that any child grows up in, we usually don't stop caring about relatives just because they are old enough to reproduce and become a "nuclear family" of their own. I do not imagine human society has ever actually worked like that -- where we are all just little pods of "nuclear family" units competing for dominance, especially not from our earliest, proto-human, pre-language days.

Our connections with each other are unavoidably more complex and layered than the nuclear family concept. I think, if for some reason our instinct/nature actually did work that way ... well, we might have "prides" of humans in places around the planet today, but probably not our almost virus-like infestation of the world, as it stands in 2022.

This is becoming a long screed, but if it helps, I am actually in graduate school studying what I am talking about here -- family structures and communication -- so, know I am at least not just pulling this all out of thin air.

Families are in fact the basic building blocks of our now worldwide community, but I am suggesting that it is collaboration not competition that has led to our proliferation ... and that collaboration is, again, based in families -- which, as it happens, have always included some individuals who do not reproduce. Like, always. And you know, mostly we don't kick our childless out to die in the wilderness, right? They generally remain, in fact, part of families...

Right, so it's a long way around: What does this have to do with non-cishet folks? Well, I suppose that I am suggesting that ... you know, some portion of the population ... basically, have perhaps always needed to be what today we umbrella as LGBTQIA2S+ ? Well, "needed" in the sense that human beings "needed" to have two eyes, eight fingers, two thumbs, all that ... not suggesting there was indeed a -- guiding force or plan in how humans evolved, but essentially saying, is it so crazy to think that development of human society, of human family structures -- has in fact always really benefitted from the fact that not everyone is a cishet breeding machine?

Like, our general concept of "evolutionary advantage" here seems like it's suggesting that just endlessly pushing out more individuals who have no other drive than to produce other individuals, thus passing on their genes -- somehow naturally led to the creation or language and science and art and music.

I'm saying, maybe the straights have needed the queers all along. And good thing we've been here.

Just waiting for the recognition, is all!

(Yes, the last part is quite sarcastic, but I hope this makes some kind of sense, because now I really should be doing homework instead of procrastinating here!)
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 10-05-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

SurveyUSA's latest polling in the state of Georgia, conducted exclusively for 11Alive News in Atlanta from 09/30/22 through 10/04/22, shows Democratic incumbent US Senator Raphael Warnock defeating Republican Herschel Walker 50% to 38% in an election today, 10/05/22. 5% of likely voters say they will vote for another candidate; 7% are undecided.
    https://www.surveyusa.com/client/Pol...b-3c271473b1ba

Looks like Warnock already had this before the abortion scandal, but now it's possible he'll avoid a costly run-off.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Don't forget that Fox has also gone all in on stopping Fetterman at all costs. They've mentioned him more often than any other swing race Democrat - some other news site did a mention count and came up with 6 times more. And since this is Fox and a Democrat we are talking about you can be sure the mentions were all negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yeah, Fox News and the conservative press that follows its lead has been relentlessly attacking Fetterman for months now. It doesn't have to make sense, it just creates a 'guy is a problem' air.
    Yeah, a "problem" that could cost the GQP Pennsylvania, especially since they figure to lose Georgia after the recent revelations about Herschel Walker blew up in the party's face like a nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So I've heard. But, Democrats need to bear down and campaign their asses off like Shapiro is ten points BEHIND. We can't afford anything even remotely resembling complacency, there's far too much at stake here, given the threat Mastriano poses to the state.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, a "problem" that could cost the GQP Pennsylvania, especially since they figure to lose Georgia after the recent revelations about Herschel Walker blew up in the party's face like a nuke.

So I've heard. But, Democrats need to bear down and campaign their asses off like Shapiro is ten points BEHIND. We can't afford anything even remotely resembling complacency, there's far too much at stake here, given the threat Mastriano poses to the state.
    Especially when you consider that Nevada is trending in the wrong direction.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Lincoln Project have been cranking up the heat in recent days:

Trump's attacks on McConnell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGPNLDXhZY
    DeSantis politicizing hurricane Ian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAT0zWFKW8U
    DeSantis hurricane photo op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXUseqpe9Ow
    Comrade Tucker Carlson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3YgAwVAt8
    Herschel Walker's allegedly paying for an abortion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlR3kHx63qk

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    LOL. I have to take pleasure in seeing the GOP tank a 50/50 Senate with what should have been all the momentum after the White House switched parties so Moscow Mitch could become Majority Leader again because they were f***ing stupid enough to let Donald Trump pick the candidates in key races in swing states where they could've picked up seats. Everything Donald Trump touches dies. That's his history, and that's going to be their very deserved history when all's said and done.
    The Democrats also gave a helping hand in pushing pro Trump candidates in GOP Primaries:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...can-primaries/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Blaming the Queen for dying. Classy!
    Kwarteng is completely out of touch. Any sympathy he got from that Labour MP's racist remarks is basically forgotten.
    If anything, the Queen's death gave them two weeks where no one was looking at them and they had time to prepare the mini-budget. Truss has already thrown Kwarteng under the bus though ("It was his idea").

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Some of us actually like Twitter, ,it's much better than Facebook.
    Totally agree. Twitter is a great way to get quick news etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Just in time to hand the GoP the "GAS PRICES ARE TOO HIGH!" complaint for the Midterms after everything that's been done to bring em down despite their intransigence.
    There's an easy answer to that: it's worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I agree. I think, if I was looking at the situation from purely logical and evolutionary perspective, I think we could maybe assume that the nature is trying to slow down the rapid increase of population in the last century, by making more people gay or trans, therefore less likely (though not completely unable) to have biological children. The planet is getting overpopulated really fast.
    To be clear, this is not my opinion, because I don't really believe in any greater power and see things as more random, just providing an alternative look at it.
    The planet is getting overpopulated but there's no uniform distribution, this is a problem in some countries/ regions more than others. E.g. the population of Japan is actually decreasing year over year.
    In the US, I posted figures from Gallup some pages ago, 15.9% of Gen Z adults identify as LGBTQ+. Everyone is free to do whatever they want with their lives, I am not questioning that. But it's clear that this will have a massive effect on US birth rates (which are already dwindling) and the overall demographic landscape. In other words: the US is going to need more immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In twenty years, we'll likely have some answers on the long term benefits and disadvantages of approaches taken with trans youth today. We'll know whether identification rates are consistent over the years, which medical interventions will be most effective and which interventions will be more regretted.
    That's a rational approach... but some folks in here will just dismiss your comments as "transphobic".

WPP, how is Fetterman only up by 4% over Oz? Oz is a cringe worthy candidate and a loathsome man.can you explain your State.
    Isn't Walker having a chance in Georgia even worse?!

Fetterman's health issues might be hurting his numbers (I'm not defending Dr. Oz at all - he's worthless)

I think there are going to be a *lot* of surprises on both sides of the political aisle in this cycle.
    Do you have any predictions on the main swing states?

Because Dr. Oz is dumb but generally "harmless". Mastriano, on the other hand, is a dangerous nutcase.
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-06-2022 at 02:09 AM.

Not only are there older people identifying as Asexual who already have children of their own, but there are plenty of younger Asexuals who do not have children yet, but would like to have families. It's one of the issues Ace people deal with; how to do that, when usually a sexual relationship is required. Oh, and there are Asexuals currently in mixed marriages, where they are trying to figure it out and keep their families together, because they are happy building a life together, except in just that one area.

And this is Asexuals. That is going to be your least likely of all the alphabet mafia to end up making kids the old fashioned way ... but, turns out even the existence of Asexual people does not mean the Death of the Family.

I don't think more people identifying as LGBTQ+ is going to be at blame for a huge decrease in population. Maybe blame that on young people looking at the world and feeling like they'd be insane to try to raise kids in it.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 10-06-2022 at 02:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Buying twitter just got a little harder for Musky:

Funders of Musk’s Proposed Twitter Buyout Have Bailed on Him

Just a day after Elon Musk announced his intention to complete his purchase of Twitter, a group that intended to provide $1 billion earlier this year to fund his proposed buyout has reportedly stepped away from the deal. The tumultuous buyout has seen several twists and turns since Musk struck a deal with the social media company to purchase it for $44 billion in April. In July, Twitter sued Musk for trying to walk back the deal, and the trial was set to begin later this month. Musk has yet to publicly comment on the latest developments, but given his proclivity to air out his every thought on Twitter, an official statement should arrive soon enough.

https://twitter.com/hackblackburn/st...SnWOIafEUJkH5g

Many will be pleased to know that The Times’ writers have been instructed to drop the term the Queen Consort.

Whatever clarifying use it had during the mourning period has expired. Queen Camilla is now to be referred to as such or, if there is no risk of confusion, as The Queen.
    *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I don't think more people identifying as LGBTQ+ is going to be at blame for a huge decrease in population. Maybe blame that on young people looking at the world and feeling like they'd be insane to try to raise kids in it.
    Not people identifying, the question is whether there are more, % wise, or it's always been like this. I don't know. The act of identifying, in of itself, changes nothing - that I agree with.

I would also say that women having a bigger presence in the labor market has helped to dwindle western birth rates over the years. Without immigration, European countries will have huge problems with keeping their welfare states afloat, for example.

Makes no difference, really. People here are mostly calling her "Queen" anyways, just because it's shorter. Or just... Camilla.

There's different terms, like Queen, Queen Consort, Queen Regnant, Queen Dowager, even Queen Mother. In most of the cases, people just say "Queen". It doesn't actually change anything.
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-06-2022 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Not people identifying, the question is whether there are more, % wise, or it's always been like this. I don't know. The act of identifying, in of itself, changes nothing - that I agree with.

I would also say that women having a bigger presence in the labor market has helped to dwindle western birth rates over the years. Without immigration, European countries will have huge problems with keeping their welfare states afloat, for example.

Makes no difference, really. People here are mostly calling her "Queen" anyways, just because it's shorter. Or just... Camilla.

There's different terms, like Queen, Queen Consort, Queen Regnant, Queen Dowager, even Queen Mother. In most of the cases, people just say "Queen". It doesn't actually change anything.
    It's always been like this. Gay is not a disease that's been spreading. The population is the same, the only thing that's changing is how we understand and express aspects of identity. I mean, it's not the only thing, but no -- as much as things have changed on the planet in the last couple hundred years, that is an infinitesimally small window of time to introduce substantial change into a population of billions.

The idea is all the more ludicrous if we're suggesting ... well:

For context, according to Gallup, in 2020 the % of American adults who identify as LGBTQ+:
    - Traditionalists - 1.3%
    - Baby Boomers - 2.0%
    - Generation X - 3.8%
    - Millennials - 9.1%
    - Gen Z - 15.9%

https://www.statista.com/chart/18228...fying-as-lgbt/
    ... are we really considering if a population size of 300 million would have significant evolutionary change in a space of -- do those generations cover maybe 100 years?

I think the timetable for substantial evolutionary change is -- you know, longer than that anyway, and especially if we're talking a population that large and varied. Single generations of humans are living 100 years. There has not been near enough time to drastically change the population, from Traditionalists to Z.

That doesn't seem possible to me. But more trying to understand than convince here really, so ... yeah, just saying, I don't see how someone can look at this and think it's not a change in how people identify. The other explanation does not make sense.