Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Having a higher inflation and higher cost of living during Bidens term very much benefit the GOP right now. They can and are doing the talking points.

"Biden wants to pardon drug users and dealers while Americans are suffering."

I am very worried about Inflation and the cost of living. I am going to the store each week and walking away with less. It is troubling right now. The other issues are important and are good talking points,. But a lot more Americans are worried about going to the store right now then other issues and the Dems need to beat the drum on how the GOP is shutting down attepmts to fix it.
    While there are other important topics, nothing beats an 'economic crisis' and the effects on cost of living and ability to get by

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If the GOP didn't complain about Inflation and then scuttle any attempt to deal with it legislatively then it wouldn't be seen as a talking point rather than a legitimate concern. For those who do have legitimate concerns about it, when one side is trying and the other is shutting down the attempt it's clear to me who's more worthy of a vote.
    Well, how that affects your vote is understandable. Unfortunately, the baby is still getting thrown out with the bathwater because “can’t let the fascists control the conversation by giving inflation too much attention as a political issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well, how that affects your vote is understandable. Unfortunately, the baby is still getting thrown out with the bathwater because “can’t let the fascists control the conversation by giving inflation too much attention as a political issue.
    One way or the other, it's impossible to get people to focus on other things outside of inflation/ cost of living while the overall situation and outlook doesn't improve.

And while the Democrats control the WH, the Senate and the House it's hard to explain to voters that they're being blocked from enacting laws and initiatives to improve things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    You're assuming that the "Inflation Reduction Act" actually does anything to reduce inflation...
    Well, that brings us once again to the various corporate interests ensuring nothing gets done via well-placed reminders to either party as to who funds their campaigns (obligatory acknowledgment of the GOP being the worse of the two lackeys to those getting ready to hammer “both-sideism” into their keyboards).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 10-07-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Complaints about how the media frames these situations are not only common in this thread but got it's own entire thread, so you are preaching to the choir on this. Outrageous GoP candidates saying stupid things get far more viewers than anyone telling the truth about how they are causing the trouble in order to complain about it.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Well, that brings us once again to the various corporate interests ensuring nothing gets done via well-placed reminders to either party as to who funds their campaigns (obligatory acknowledgment of the GOP being the worse of the two lackeys to those getting ready to hammer “both-sideism” into their keyboards).
    There were several things in there that put money directly into people's pockets. Saying "You're assuming that the "Inflation Reduction Act" actually does anything to reduce inflation..." is just edge lords being edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    There were several things in there that put money directly into people's pockets. Saying "You're assuming that the "Inflation Reduction Act" actually does anything to reduce inflation..." is just edge lords being edgy.
    Nah, it's just the reality, it's sad that you fall for political marketing.

I'm not even saying it's bad legislation. It's mostly good. But "inflation reduction"? Wow

"There were several things in there that put money directly into people's pockets" - thus boosting aggregate demand, perhaps? And increasing monetary mass? How do both things reduce inflation?

Reducing deficits is quite important, especially in the current budget situation the US is facing (and has faced for some years now), but how that translates into reducing inflation is, well, a tenuous connection at best.

"PWBM estimates that the Inflation Reduction Act would reduce non-interest cumulative deficits by $248 billion over the budget window with no impact on GDP in 2031. The impact on inflation is statistically indistinguishable from zero. An illustrative scenario is also presented where Affordable Care Act subsidies are made permanent. Under this illustrative alternative, the 10-year deficit reduction estimate falls to $89 billion."
    "The Act would very slightly increase inflation until 2024 and decrease inflation thereafter. These point estimates are statistically indistinguishable from zero, thereby indicating low confidence that the legislation will have any impact on inflation"

University of Pennsylvania
    https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.ed...nary-estimates
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-07-2022 at 09:16 AM.

CNBC Monmouth poll - "Only 30% of voters approve of President Joe Biden’s handling of inflation"

But I guess everything is fine, voters are just "dumb" or something... Dalak and Captain Europe know best!
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-07-2022 at 09:26 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    CNBC Monmouth poll - "Only 30% of voters approve of President Joe Biden’s handling of inflation"

But I guess everything is fine, voters are just "dumb" or something... Dalak and Captain Europe know best!
    Polls go up and down like roller coasters all the damn time. I for one pay them little mind because it’s all reactionary opinions to what’s happening from week to week, if not day to day. People are basically ignorant because they either don’t understand or can’t comprehend that presidents have little to no control over inflation which is often a worldwide problem that effects everyone. Sure, presidents can take steps to curtail and/or mitigate the problem as best they can, but they can’t eliminate it altogether with a wave of the hand or the stroke of a pen. The fact some people think that’s possible infuriates me no end. I wish people were more educated when it comes to issues like this.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Polls go up and down like roller coasters all the damn time. I for one pay them little mind because it’s all reactionary opinions to what’s happening from week to week, if not day to day. People are basically ignorant because they either don’t understand or can’t comprehend that presidents have little to no control over inflation which is often a worldwide problem that effects everyone. Sure, presidents can take steps to curtail and/or mitigate the problem as best they can, but they can’t eliminate it altogether with a wave of the hand or the stroke of a pen. The fact some people think that’s possible infuriates me no end. I wish people were more educated when it comes to issues like this.
    Agreed, and then there's the issue of who's answering these polls. I've actually worked as one of those people who call up asking for you to take a short poll/survey that winds up being 15-20 minutes more often than not, and some of what I've learned is that the majority of those who answer are those with landlines, who are overwhelmingly older people and thus skew Republican. Of course I've never claimed to know everything, and I don't hide behind an Ignore shield in order to make posts without having to worry about someone replying.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I totally, utterly, agree.

And that's why I referred to the "Inflation Reduction Act" as political marketing (while being a good piece of legislation in itself - but just not inflation related). But, of course, it's also political marketing to suggest that Biden is driving prices up. It goes both ways.

Regarding polls, also agree - but with one month to go until the elections, having a snapshot of the electorate's point of view right now can be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Agreed, and then there's the issue of who's answering these polls. I've actually worked as one of those people who call up asking for you to take a short poll/survey that winds up being 15-20 minutes more often than not, and some of what I've learned is that the majority of those who answer are those with landlines, who are overwhelmingly older people and thus skew Republican. Of course I've never claimed to know everything, and I don't hide behind an Ignore shield in order to make posts without having to worry about someone replying.
    Polls in the US, e.g. in the last two Presidential elections, skew Republican? Really?

The "Ignore" list thing is your decision, not mine, and you've gone to great lengths to mention it often (you just did that again). Respectfully, I will reply to your posts if I want to and I will not reply if I don't want to. And you are obviously free to do the same. We're here to talk about politics, I think.
    Last edited by hyped78; 10-07-2022 at 09:56 AM.

The reality of Politics is when you are president everything is your victory or fault even if they had no control over what is going on. The GOP and their talking heads have done a great job understanding that during Biden's term. At least of the everything is his fault and they take massive credit for his victories. Look at the infostructure bill that was passed. We are already seeing members of the GOP talk about the benefits to their states from it even though they voted against it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Having a higher inflation and higher cost of living during Bidens term very much benefit the GOP right now. They can and are doing the talking points.

"Biden wants to pardon drug users and dealers while Americans are suffering."

I am very worried about Inflation and the cost of living. I am going to the store each week and walking away with less. It is troubling right now. The other issues are important and are good talking points,. But a lot more Americans are worried about going to the store right now then other issues and the Dems need to beat the drum on how the GOP is shutting down attepmts to fix it.
    Makes me glad that there are a few discount grocery/supermarkets in my area where I can actually get more for less.
    Watching television is not an activity.

The reality of Politics is when you are president everything is your victory or fault even if they had no control over what is going on. The GOP and their talking heads have done a great job understanding that during Biden's term. At least of the everything is his fault and they take massive credit for his victories. Look at the infostructure bill that was passed. We are already seeing members of the GOP talk about the benefits to their states from it even though they voted against it.
    Completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Makes me glad that there are a few discount grocery/supermarkets in my area where I can actually get more for less.
    It's a business opportunity for some discount supermarkets, I see the same here.