'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    You would be thinking of Sam Bankman-Fried of FTX.
    I really can't wait to hear his defense in court.

"Uh, your honor, in my defense, I presented myself publicly looking like this and people gave me their money anyway. Shouldn't that like be grounds for dismissal?"

"This is a bail hearing, Mr. Bankman-Fried."

"What? No waaaay."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

You would be thinking of Sam Bankman-Fried of FTX.
    That’s the guy! And the arena I mentioned is in Miami, home of the Heat. Thanks, WBE.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Today and tomorrow, Czech Republic holds a second round of presidential elections. It's not a big deal internationally, since the role is mostly symbolic, but still an interesting survey of the current political climate, as it's a fight between a populist demagogue, former prime minister Andrej Babis (recently found not gilty in a huge corruption trial) and a pro-western Peter Pavel, a former general and NATO chairman.
    Czechs to vote in second round of presidential election

Highlights of the campaign include Babis fearmongering about war in Ukraine, warning about sending military aid and promising to hold a "peace summit" in Prague between Ukraine and russia (LOL). Also, he dialed it up to eleven earlier this week when he said he would not send troops to protect a NATO country if they were also attacked, which he then quickly turned back after being informed that that's not how things work.

Also, russian hackers are probably flexing their hacking muscles before next year's US elections, because they have been active in the disinformation campaign and are probably also behind a bizarre fake news that Pavel has died right before the election began (double LOL).
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Also, today is International Holocaust Remembrance Day, in case anyone (one person, suspiciosly quiet this week) wants to claim that people have forgotten WW2 already.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Today and tomorrow, Czech Republic holds a second round of presidential elections. It's not a big deal internationally, since the role is mostly symbolic, but still an interesting survey of the current political climate, as it's a fight between a populist demagogue, former prime minister Andrej Babis (recently found not gilty in a huge corruption trial) and a pro-western Peter Pavel, a former general and NATO chairman.

Highlights of the campaign include Babis fearmongering about war in Ukraine, warning about sending military aid and promising to hold a "peace summit" in Prague between Ukraine and russia (LOL). Also, he dialed it up to eleven earlier this week when he said he would not send troops to protect a NATO country if they were also attacked, which he then quickly turned back after being informed that that's not how things work.

Also, russian hackers are probably flexing their hacking muscles before next year's US elections, because they have been active in the disinformation campaign and are probably also behind a bizarre fake news that Pavel has died right before the election began (double LOL).
    I wish them all luck in choosing the saner of the two candidates. The one who isn't siding with Putin.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What are you trying to say?
    There was a typo in my post noting a typo.

The news item was that Ted Cruz signed a bill that would only allow vending machines in the capitol that accept cryptocurrency. Presumably they would accept American currency as well.

This was posted as Ted Cruz trying to introduce a bill that would make Capital Hill vending machines accept only cryptocurrency. It's the wrong placement of the word "only."

That misunderstanding led to multiple posters complaining about what the reaction would be if Democrats tried to stop the dollar from being used in payments, and how it shows a lack of faith in the US to trust crypto over the dollar, when that is not what Cruz tried to do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

It’s an interesting election and I plan to follow the situation as it progresses.
    Americans have a tendency to label populists in Europe or elsewhere as being like Trump, but actually Orban was Trump before Trump was Trump if that makes any sense. It’s interesting to see how other countries manage their elections with a populist or ultranationalist on the ticket.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

This Paul Pelosi assault footage and the 911 call are just awful. I listened to the 911 call and read about his police interview admitting everything. I don't think I can watch the body cam which shows him literally get hit with the hammer in front of the cops apparently.

Regardless of politics seeing crazies like this get literally weaponized by constant lies and conspiracies is disgusting.

Then those who push the conspiracies, allow it to fester and constantly seep into the public just back away after these events, and Jan 6. Oh wasn't their fault. Like there isnt a clear line with years of lies and conspiracies and these people raiding the capital, and trying to in the attackers own words

His intention when he broke into the Pelosis’ house in San Francisco, he said, was to find Ms. Pelosi, “hold her hostage” and try to get her to admit to the contents of the conspiracy theory. If she admitted it, he said, “I’d let her go scot-free.” If she didn’t, “I was going to break her kneecaps.”

This is the exact reason that right wing "free speech" bs and trying to force social media companies to let them run rampant with any conspiracy they want is dangerous. Because there are deranged people that will absorb this as fact and hurt people. Especially when Trump, and the GOP at large along with right wing media is echoing it non stop giving all this nonsense a hint of "authority".
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 01-27-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Speaking of assault footage, police have released video of the police assault on Tyre Nichols, and it's as horrifying as you might expect.

It shows the cops repeatedly beating, kicking, and maceing Nichols, who was crying out for his mother (apparently they were a very short distance away from her home when this happened). It also shows them standing around and not rendering aid for quite some time.

The five main officers in the assault have already been fired and charged with 2nd degree murder; 2 deputies have also been relived of duty, pending an investigation into their conduct.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 01-27-2023 at 07:52 PM.

In an age where video cameras and other recording devices are everywhere, you'd think most people would think twice about doing something violent and crazy....then again, maybe it's the crazy ones who don't really care if they are caught.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In an age where video cameras and other recording devices are everywhere, you'd think most people would think twice about doing something violent and crazy....then again, maybe it's the crazy ones who don't really care if they are caught.
    If you watch the video, you hear the cops yelling out commands like "Down on the ground!" when Nichol's is already down on the ground, or "Give me your hands!" when they already had them. They were literally laying out their defense as they beat the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I keep telling people I know who get involved with security and law enforcement...

Read about the Stanford Prison Experiment, and the psychology of what happens when you're given power. Then, actively resist what your brain is wired to do, no fault of your own. Understand the psychology of how power corrupts, as terrifying as that reality is.

I've been thanked for it. One person quit their security job, realizing he was becoming a worse person, and went into roofing instead.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    This Paul Pelosi assault footage and the 911 call are just awful. I listened to the 911 call and read about his police interview admitting everything. I don't think I can watch the body cam which shows him literally get hit with the hammer in front of the cops apparently.

Regardless of politics seeing crazies like this get literally weaponized by constant lies and conspiracies is disgusting.

Then those who push the conspiracies, allow it to fester and constantly seep into the public just back away after these events, and Jan 6. Oh wasn't their fault. Like there isnt a clear line with years of lies and conspiracies and these people raiding the capital, and trying to in the attackers own words

His intention when he broke into the Pelosis’ house in San Francisco, he said, was to find Ms. Pelosi, “hold her hostage” and try to get her to admit to the contents of the conspiracy theory. If she admitted it, he said, “I’d let her go scot-free.” If she didn’t, “I was going to break her kneecaps.”

This is the exact reason that right wing "free speech" bs and trying to force social media companies to let them run rampant with any conspiracy they want is dangerous. Because there are deranged people that will absorb this as fact and hurt people. Especially when Trump, and the GOP at large along with right wing media is echoing it non stop giving all this nonsense a hint of "authority".
    The video is not graphic because there's a lot of shadow. It's weird though. The cops push the door open and the conservative nut and Pelosi are just standing there, looking at the cops and it looks like both are holding the hammer with one hand each; with Pelosi holding a cup on his other hand. Then the nut pulls the hammer away, swings at Pelosi, he goes down and the cops tackle the nut. I didn't hear the audio though.

I keep telling people I know who get involved with security and law enforcement...

Read about the Stanford Prison Experiment, and the psychology of what happens when you're given power. Then, actively resist what your brain is wired to do, no fault of your own. Understand the psychology of how power corrupts, as terrifying as that reality is.

I've been thanked for it. One person quit their security job, realizing he was becoming a worse person, and went into roofing instead.
    ACAB, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    ACAB, you know?
    I mean... psychology does seem to create a basis for it, doesn't it?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.