Classic conservative thinking. Teenagers are not mature enough to know what gender they identify as, or to know that they want/need to have an abortion, but they are at the same time mature enough to become parents.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Words fail me to descibe this level of stupidity. Attenborough's documentaries are great, I hope it will be available on Netflix like the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Hey, guys! You know that gender clinic that Jesse Singal has been banging on about as proof that trans kids are getting trans medicine too easily and it's bad and there was an affidative and it was all very serious? Well, wanna know what REALLY happened?

So, non-medical personal were keeping a spreadsheet of patients they didn't believe were 'trans' enough, then violated HIPAA by giving that information to politicians and Jesse Singal, who is known for his anti-trans reporting, particularly on the subject of gender affirming care for youth, and worked with an anti-trans social conservative lawyer and activist to make hay of it.

*That's* the scandal, as this person says.

https://twitter.com/BusinessWaffles/...68892008054785

(Also, the story that this person offered has been shown to be pretty much a set of lies anyway.)

A tweeter below them described it well:

I dunno, guys! A transphobic employee at a gender clinic isn't exactly surprising, as cis people have always wanted to gatekeep trans people out of trans care because they view non-cis outcomes as unwanted, but this seems pretty bad!

P.S.: Holy shit, jesse singal is a total moron.

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/...52310691446784
    I hope everyone who violated HIPAA ends up being prosecuted. What a loathsome behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Fun picture from Schot (Netherland) illustrating the article on CourrierInternational “Should we really be afraid of TikTok?”:

I am wary of everything that comes from China, so I would never use TikTok even if I liked social media. (No, that's not racist, just being distrustful of a communist, authoritative regime.)
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I was trying to figure out your argument.

If we're talking about process, those questions have nothing to do with what side someone's on.

The devil's advocate argument seems to apply for situations where no reasonable and informed person can agree with an individual. It would be a response to a Russian propagandist arguing that Ukraine had it coming. Perhaps Singal is on that level, but that argument had to be made explicitly.
    There's a case to be made for giving people the benefit of the doubt, or for asking for clarity of intent, or pondering what good legislative policy would be, or trying to correctly and precisely frame an argument or point or whatever just so - but more importantly there's a stronger case to call out transphobia when confronted with it. When, by all your many myriad points and counterpoints and arguments and clarifications and wanting things to be as exactingly precise as possible, is the case strong enough for you to feel the need to call out the transphobia running strongly through the ethos of your party?

The only information being revealed here is that you are once again incapable of not running to defend a transphobe.

Reed's claims have been looked into by journalists, who found them to be deeply inconsistent with the experiences of patients. Singal's track record of transphobic concern trolling largely speaks for itself, at this point, as does the way he frames pro trans actions as 'activism' but doesn't do the same for the gender critical sources he relies on.

Unfortunately, Jesse's 'journalism' on this issue uses dishonest framing, is overly credulous or claims by gender critical, applies arbitrary standards to peer reviewed research that doesn't agree with him, and apparently now shows he's too big a dipshit not to understand that he's literally documenting someone's crimes against the patients by leaking their ppi. Hipaa is incredibly exacting, and Reed's own account is uncorroborated and is only her own opinion as to who is 'trans enough'.
    These tactics are too familiar at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It'd been a minute, but this is how we handled medical records when I worked for Missouri Baptist:

We get the records from the floor, we process the records, flag anything a doctor needs to sign, then file them away. We never looked at the records beyond the scope of our jobs, we never gossiped about any celebrities that came through, we never disclosed information to anyone that didn't have a signed release form, or anyone who had no business viewing said records. We had to fax copies of records to other hospitals that requested them, because faxing was deemed a far more secure method of transmission than email. Even after we went digital, we would have to print out pages to fax to other hospitals that weren't on the same system as us (which happened frequently, as there are multiple systems out there). And we never accessed a record without cause.
    We actually deal with requests for records, and they refresh us on HIPAA yearly on things we cannot do. Looking up patient's info without reason, copying the information without reason, and revealing that information to any unauthorized source are each individual breaches and so punishable under HIPAA. I don't even write down the occasional first name or last name like I used to in Phone work for RPG Character name purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Words fail me to descibe this level of stupidity. Attenborough's documentaries are great, I hope it will be available on Netflix like the previous ones.

I hope everyone who violated HIPAA ends up being prosecuted. What a loathsome behavior.

I am wary of everything that comes from China, so I would never use TikTok even if I liked social media. (No, that's not racist, just being distrustful of a communist, authoritative regime.)
    I agree on the documentary, on HIPAA, and the wariness of a government well known for misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There's a case to be made for giving people the benefit of the doubt, or for asking for clarity of intent, or pondering what good legislative policy would be, or trying to correctly and precisely frame an argument or point or whatever just so - but more importantly there's a stronger case to call out transphobia when confronted with it. When, by all your many myriad points and counterpoints and arguments and clarifications and wanting things to be as exactingly precise as possible, is the case strong enough for you to feel the need to call out the transphobia running strongly through the ethos of your party?
    I'd not hold my breath if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Rep. Lauren Boebert announces that she is becoming a grandmother at 36, praises high rural teen birth rates that 'value life'

This lady is twisted. I wonder how old that girl Boebert's Son knocked up is? Reading stories like this make me thankful for my parents.
    If only they'd been aware of ways that this could have been avoided, and had access to safe, affordable contraceptive options. Y'know, things that people like Grandma Boebert continuously rail against.

Hey, guys! You know that gender clinic that Jesse Singal has been banging on about as proof that trans kids are getting trans medicine too easily and it's bad and there was an affidative and it was all very serious? Well, wanna know what REALLY happened?

So, non-medical personal were keeping a spreadsheet of patients they didn't believe were 'trans' enough, then violated HIPAA by giving that information to politicians and Jesse Singal, who is known for his anti-trans reporting, particularly on the subject of gender affirming care for youth, and worked with an anti-trans social conservative lawyer and activist to make hay of it.

*That's* the scandal, as this person says.

https://twitter.com/BusinessWaffles/...68892008054785

(Also, the story that this person offered has been shown to be pretty much a set of lies anyway.)

A tweeter below them described it well:

I dunno, guys! A transphobic employee at a gender clinic isn't exactly surprising, as cis people have always wanted to gatekeep trans people out of trans care because they view non-cis outcomes as unwanted, but this seems pretty bad!

P.S.: Holy shit, jesse singal is a total moron.

https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/...52310691446784
    So basically, the bigots had to lie to make their case. Again.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Rep. Lauren Boebert announces that she is becoming a grandmother at 36, praises high rural teen birth rates that 'value life'

This lady is twisted. I wonder how old that girl Boebert's Son knocked up is? Reading stories like this make me thankful for my parents.
    Well...to be fair, it's not like Boebert is being a hypocrite or anything in this specific case. Her son is 17 and the girl he got pregnant is 15, but Lauren herself was a teen mom and she's supporting them, so she's being consistent in this instance.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well...to be fair, it's not like Boebert is being a hypocrite or anything in this specific case. Her son is 17 and the girl he got pregnant is 15, but Lauren herself was a teen mom and she's supporting them, so she's being consistent in this instance.
    Yeah, consistently abominable. When I was 17, all I thought about was hanging out with my buddies and working hard to graduate high school, not wondering how I’m going to raise a kid after getting a girl two years my junior pregnant. If Boobert was truly a responsible parent, she would’ve warned her son about the perils of unprotected sex and the consequences of same, not REWARD what he had done after the fact. That makes her a suck ass mother, just like she’s a suck ass politician.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

How much you wanna bet she tried really hard to bully the kid into having an abortion?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    So basically, the bigots had to lie to make their case. Again.
    And yet some people are having a hard time discerning my point.

Like they want to engage in highly technical arguments or something as a distraction from the fact that they themselves are overly credulous to a privileged dork ass loser like Jesse Singal.

(Singal himself did not violate HIPAA, I *think*, but his source evidently did so, at least judging by his own description of her activities in apparently accessing files she had no reason to access. I do not believe it will be enforced. Her actions are problematic even when shown in the best light and her extraordinary claims are absolutely fucking dubious, and broadcasting them without doing real due diligence in a time of inflammatory rhetoric explicitly against trans youth is the height of journalistic malpractice.)
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-11-2023 at 08:46 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    How much you wanna bet she tried really hard to bully the kid into having an abortion?
    I’d say that much is probably a given. However, if she did, chances are no one will ever learn about it unless someone in Boobert’s orbit squeals.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Classic conservative thinking. Teenagers are not mature enough to know what gender they identify as, or to know that they want/need to have an abortion, but they are at the same time mature enough to become parents.
    The low key name of the game us bringing white babies into the world.

Had this story been about non whites, then conservatives would be outraged.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I heard that Boebert's mom had her as a teen.

Three generations of this stuff.

A good break down on how HIPAA works in regards to Reed and whether or not she qualifies for whistleblower protection:

https://twitter.com/BadHippa/status/1634642545253957632

Another good descriuption of the whole thing:

esse Singal has what he believes is strong evidence that the “whistleblower” whose story he desperately wishes were true because it would prove a culture war talking point is on the level. It…is not:
    o Signal asked a prominent TERF if Reed’s story seemed credible, and Anderson cited 1)someone who was admittedly joking, and 2)some secondhand rumors. In terms of support for Reed’s story, this is less than nothing. Reed is also still not providing any independent corroboration. So as it stands now there are more than a dozen corroborating witnesses saying that there was nothing bad going on at the clinic, and zero corroborating witnesses for Reed’s claim that children — including those who allegedly identified as mushrooms and attack helicopters — were rushed into gender treatments without parental consent. As of now, it’s not a close call and Singal’s blog changes nothing.
    https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com...iors-unchanged
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-11-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Here is an example of how Reed's story is shifting from her under oath affidavit.

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/s...57409459732480

You'd have to be stupid to believe that they just rushed the 'attack helicopter' kid onto hormones.

The thing is, basic due diligence as a journalist would have avoided a lot of this.

(Frankly a lot of the stuff and how it's being treated in the press stinks of the pro-life movement tactics against abortion clinics.)
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-11-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The BBC is in a pretty big mess right now with the Gary Lineker row.

Basically, Lineker is a soccer legend and he hosts the BBC match of the day soccer program. He's been taken off-air because he criticised the government's migrant plans (via his personal twitter mind you) and compared it to Nazi Germany (which isn't really a stretch given just how cruel the government's policies are and how they continuously use extreme right-wing language). We all know how big soccer is in the UK and given how popular Lineker is, him being taken off-air is a pretty big deal. Hilariously, the folks that complain about cancel culture have been completely silent on this mess.

Anyways, a growing list of soccer legends/greats have refused to show up for the BBC soccer programs in solidarity with Lineker. This has now led to BBC cancelling a number of their soccer programs. Its just another black eye for the BBC which is looking shockingly clueless lately.
    This might be the Tory's plan to destroy public broadcasting at work.