Page 405 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3053553954014024034044054064074084094154555059051405 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,075 of 75153

Colombian cartels killing those who don't obey their Covid-19 lockdowns

Drug cartels and rebel groups are imposing their own bloody coronavirus lockdowns across Colombia – and killing those who do not obey, according to a new report by Human Rights Watch (HRW).

At least eight civilians have been murdered by the armed groups, some of them holdovers from Colombia’s half-century civil war, which are using Whatsapp chats and pamphlets to warn citizens of the lockdowns in the rural areas where they operate.
    In Tumaco, an impoverished and violent port city on the Pacific coast, residents are banned by gangs from fishing, limiting their ability to earn money and food. A 5pm curfew – far stricter than the measures imposed by the government – is also forcing street vendors inside.

Across the country, violent gangs are stopping people from leaving their homes at all, even when sick, according to humanitarian workers cited in the report. In two provinces, Cauca and Guaviare, armed groups have torched the motorcycles of those of those who ignored their restrictions.

“They have shut down transport between villages, and when someone is suspected to have Covid-19 they are told to leave the region or they will be killed,” one community leader in Colombia’s southern Putumayo province told the Guardian, on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal. “And people have no choice but to obey because they never see the government here.”
    Woah.......
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

This is a quick, but interesting read regarding the Redskins. https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04...ascots-survey/

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I never said it doesn't exist, nor have I said that it's something I would expect to experience if it did.

I asked people in a public forum if any of them were familiar with any Native Americans describing a specific experience.

Just asking questions.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Just asking questions.
    And being intellectually lazy per usual.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I never said it doesn't exist, nor have I said that it's something I would expect to experience if it did.

I asked people in a public forum if any of them were familiar with any Native Americans describing a specific experience.

I don't think I've suggested that civil rights was a waste of time.

I am curious if you guys think the name of a football team in Washington is a civil rights issue.

No biggie.

In general, I try to go with more generous interpretations if there's any ambiguity, rather than going with the least generous interpretation of what someone said off the cuff.

The alternative for Republicans was the least popular Democratic candidate in modern memory running on the most progressive platform ever.

This would suggest a Democratic party who saw Trump as an opportunity to go further to the left, rather than offering any compromises to sway anyone on the center or the center-right..

Do you think I'm more likely to back a general election Republican candidate than the left-wing posters here are to back a general election Democratic candidate?

Kent State was a clusterfuck, but it doesn't necessarily demonstrate that the modern military will deal with rioters worse than the police would.
    What is the modern military trained to do? Identify the enemy, then attack the enemy. You really think that won't be a disaster when they confront peaceful protesters that they've been led to believe are thisclose to rioting?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Oh, is that what you said?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets
    I haven't seen much indication that there's a problem of Native Americans being called redskins by white strangers.
    Weird, cause it's almost like you didn't say that at all.

*insert "why you always lyin'" meme*
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Ultimate Member

So was there any good bits from the book from Trump's niece? Or just the usual creepy stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    Oh, is that what you said?

Weird, cause it's almost like you didn't say that at all.

*insert "why you always lyin'" meme*
    It was in my first comment about the topic.

Are there any examples of it being used as a racial slur? Has any Native American said that they were called a redskin as a pejorative?
    I believe I summed it up accurately when I said I asked people in a public forum if any of them were familiar with any Native Americans describing a specific experience.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I believe I summed it up accurately when I said I asked people in a public forum if any of them were familiar with any Native Americans describing a specific experience.
    Have you ever tried using google? It's this amazing new thing where you can easily answer stupid questions.
    Pull List:

Ultimate Member

Have you ever tried using google? It's this amazing new thing where you can easily answer stupid questions.
    Or, ya know, common sense. We don't have a 'Yellowskins' or 'Blackskins', so why do we have a Redskins?

And I say that as a fan of the team

So is the team name only a problem if it's literally being screamed at Native people as a slur by whites?

I'm just asking..

Ultimate Member

Anyways, Biden seems to be polling very strong in Arizona and Texas.

Obviously, these states are a long shot but I think Biden should make a play for these states. Changing demographics could be very key and with Trump pretty much imploding (he's doing the exact opposite of what he should be doing right now), I think the dems should give it a shot.

Texas will in all probability vote Trump but Arizona could be at play.

Texas was purple in 2016. Trump was the lowest winning Republican in Texas in a very long time. I think it was since 1996.

Texas was one of 11 states Clinton improved over the performance of Obama.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Depends on how bad things get in Texas, and Arizona, I'd imagine. Florida, too, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So is the team name only a problem if it's literally being screamed at Native people as a slur by whites?

I'm just asking..
    Not necessarily.

I did answer a similar question question yesterday.

I assure you that I've googled the topic.

The top results are mainly about the controversy, including the detail that as of 2016, 90% of Native Americans were not offended by the name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f9a_story.html

If I check out "redskins graffiti" to see if there's a story of anyone using it as a slur that way, the main results are a story about someone in a high school spray-painting a message calling for the name to be changed.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-with-graffiti

I am not getting any reports of redskin used as a pejorative or a racial slur.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets