Remember, local democracy is only ok when it favors the GOP.

On April 4, 2023, a three-judge panel in Nashville, Tennessee, will hear arguments in a legal challenge to the state’s recently enacted law, House Bill 48, that cuts Nashville’s Metro Council in half. Today, we break down how this retaliatory law — which passed in the wake of the Metro Council’s refusal to host the 2024 Republican National Convention — represents the Republican Party’s latest blitz on our democracy, the two lawsuits attempting to block it and what this challenge means for our democracy.

The Metro Council is the 40-member legislative body that serves Davidson County, including the state capital of Nashville.
    The Metro Council is the legislative authority of both Nashville, the state’s most populous city, and Davidson County, one of the state’s most diverse counties that surrounds Music City. Initially formed in 1962 by voters, the council currently has 40 members and “a quarter of the council’s seats are held by Black members, half are held by women and five identify as LGBTQ.”

On March 9, 2023, Gov. Bill Lee (R) signed H.B. 48, a law passed by Tennessee’s Republican-led Legislature that forces the Metro Council to reduce its membership by half.
    https://www.democracydocket.com/anal...litical-power/

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Remember, local democracy is only ok when it favors the GOP.

https://www.democracydocket.com/anal...litical-power/
    Weaponizing government to punish behavior they don't like, the GoP is the master of both enacting it and using "protecting" from it to try and get Trump off.

Has anyone seen the backlash Jill biden is getting for saying she wants to invite both the LSU and Iowa teams to the white house?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Former top aide to ex-Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan dies after manhunt, lawyer says

I haven't seen a news report quite like this in a very long time.
    Last edited by Tami; 04-04-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Has anyone seen the backlash Jill biden is getting for saying she wants to invite both the LSU and Iowa teams to the white house?
    I think that might have something to do with one of star players from LSU having done John Cena’s “You can’t see me” hand wave at Iowa’s best player after the Tigers won the women’s championship Sunday night, raising a stink. The player in question, Angel Reese is black, and the Iowa player she waved at was white, you can guess the rest about the outrage that gesture caused.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-04-2023 at 07:19 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think that might have something to do with one of star players from LSU having done John Cena’s “You can’t see me” hand wave at Iowa’s best player after the Tigers won the women’s championship Sunday night, raising a stink. The player in question, Angel Reese is black, and the Iowa player she waved at was white, you can guess the rest about the outrage that gesture caused.
    Well there's more to it. It's also the fact that the Iowa player did the same move a few games ago and nobody complained. There's also the fact that typically only the winning team is invited but this time they want the losers, who also happen to be predominantly white, to come alongside the winners, who happen to be predominantly black. The optics just look horrible.

See the Donald has taken a leaf out of the Boris Johnson playbook by describing court he must face as a Kangaroo Court, and saying the judge is biased.

I have to accept that he (The Donald) knows more than I ever will about avoiding the due process of the law but really doesn’t strike me as an intelligent move.

Really hope by the way that Trump gives evidence…in belief that if he does his tendency to swathe bittter facts in the warm bandages of fantasy might cause more trouble for him in the future than the charges he faces now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My only concern is that Putin will likely try to use this as pretext to go after his critics. I wouldn't put it past the Russians to try to frame others for their own crimes, which occurs often enough in recent years.
    Since when does Putin need pretext? He goes after anyone who says anything bad about him, or says anything he doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I find it ri-goddang-diculous that people are bitching so much about players taunting one another. It's sports. Athletes taunt. And yeah, they didn't say anything when the white girl did it, but raised holy hell when the black girl gave her a receipt.

As for Jill- yikes. Yeah, I've seen the outrage. And I really don't get what she was thinking with this. The winning team is invited to the White House, the losing team is not. It's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Since when does Putin need pretext? He goes after anyone who says anything bad about him, or says anything he doesn't like.
    Seeing as the dead from that attack were predominantly backers of that Wagner guy whose name I can't spell I wouldn't put it past Putin to try for a twofer. Hurt one potential rival with the attack, then use the attack as justification to move against a second - or even a second move against the first, blaming them for bombing themselves. It worked for Turkiye.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

trump's supposed to be turning himself in at 12:15PM right? I guess he's with the DA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    trump's supposed to be turning himself in at 12:15PM right? I guess he's with the DA right now.
    I think it's 1:15 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Even so, he would be late by now.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Even so, he would be late by now.
    I saw 2:15 EST, but Trump will be probably be late anyways. One of the few pieces of statecraft Trump actually understands is the First Art of Kings: making people wait.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

According to this guy, trump is under arrest.

"Former President Donald Trump has arrived at Manhattan Criminal Court, where he is under arrest and in police custody while awaiting his arraignment."

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Good.