Page 419 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3193694094154164174184194204214224234294695199191419 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,285 of 75153

Latinos Boycotting Goya Say It's Not About Politics, It's About Standing Against Trump's ‘Hate'

When Ricardo Alvarado went grocery shopping this week, he had a list of items to buy, but he steered clear of anything from Goya Foods. “I was using their beans, but I found a different brand," he said. "I switched olive oil, too, and I bought my own spices, not theirs."

A performing artist based in New York City, Alvarado is boycotting Goya Foods. “As long as I’m helping my community, I will do my part. It’s important that we show unity and solidarity.”

The CEO of Goya Foods, Robert Unanue, plunged the company into turmoil last week when he praised President Donald Trump at an event announcing the White House Hispanic Prosperity Initiative. “We’re all truly blessed, at the same time, to have leader like President Trump who is a builder,” Unanue said. He compared the president to his grandfather, a Spanish immigrant who founded the company in 1936.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

You'd think that any idiot would see that Trump is toxic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    John Lewis will be missed by not just his constituents but also by other Americans.

This country has managed to survive 4 years of Trump. It will survive another 4 years if he wins a 2nd term. He may be an idiot but he knows how to sell his ideas and pander to his voters. As long as there are fools who buy his speeches including "build the wall", he may still have a chance of winning the election.
    The calls of "We survived Obama, you'll survive Trump!" ring a lot more hollow in 2020 than they did in 2016, and they just sounded empty even back then.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    No, let's find a way to force him to accept respondibility. I'd love to see people file court cases, lawsuits, or whatever works against Trump and his adminstration in relation to eh COVID crisis.
    Not you, me, the US Justice System, the International Court at the Hague, nor God Almighty will force him to accept responsibility for anything. He's been sued over 1,400 times. We can imprison him, impoverish him, maybe even imprison him. But he will gasp out his last breath (which, BTW, cannot come soon enough) wheezing about how none of this was his fault, the media framed him, it was never as bad as liberals that hate America made out, his plans were the best perfect plans, and Pelosi and Obama were to blame for all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    God, we're in this mess because Trump thought he could ignore it like a toddler, and his people enabled him. Still infuriating
    It's not just that people enable him, people idolize him. Even when he's clearly wrong, people that should know better will tie themselves in knots to accept his lies. That's why we're still dealing with "The Virus is a Democratic hoax, it'll go away in November" even after everything. Trump finding a doctor to go along with his madness about the virus being under control doesn't surprise me, it probably wasn't even that hard. I had to go to the hospital last week, and the nurse took time out of an exam to lecture me on the pandemic being drummed up by the media just to hurt the president and how they only wear a mask under threat of firing.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Just wanted to bump this up. This is probably the least of his crimes but why in the world is this still going on? Why is it that for all his miserable life Trump has mostly escaped from any kind of reckoning/prosecution from this criminal activity? The GOP has been ignoring the emoluments clause in the Constitution by booking his Trump International hotel for these "retreats". There was one last fall where the rates more than tripled on the rooms booked for the 2 nights of a "Save the Senate" Retreat.

In May, the 4th District Court of Appeals rejected Trump's attempt to shut down these suits by the District of Columbia and the State of Maryland charging Trump with violating the emoluments clause. As usually, through his attorney Jay Sekulow, Trump whined about "presidential harassment" . As far as I can tell, this case hasn't been brought up to the Supreme Court yet by Trump's legal reps.

Back in February, a lawsuit brought by the Democratic Party was dismissed by a federal appeals court because of a "lack of legal standing"

This has been Trump's M.O for decades.....drag things out in the courts and hope the other side gives up. He could get away with his businesses because he usually had deeper pockets to pay his lawyers to drag things out. The little vendors and contractors he swindled dropped out when their legal fees were more than they can afford to keep it going.

You'd think that any idiot would see that Trump is toxic right now.
    I wish that were true, but Goya's stocks have shot up big time as Trump's cult have been buying up all their products. His endorsement has been very lucrative for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just wanted to bump this up. This is probably the least of his crimes but why in the world is this still going on? Why is it that for all his miserable life Trump has mostly escaped from any kind of reckoning/prosecution from this criminal activity? The GOP has been ignoring the emoluments clause in the Constitution by booking his Trump International hotel for these "retreats". There was one last fall where the rates more than tripled on the rooms booked for the 2 nights of a "Save the Senate" Retreat.

In May, the 4th District Court of Appeals rejected Trump's attempt to shut down these suits by the District of Columbia and the State of Maryland charging Trump with violating the emoluments clause. As usually, through his attorney Jay Sekulow, Trump whined about "presidential harassment" . As far as I can tell, this case hasn't been brought up to the Supreme Court yet by Trump's legal reps.

Back in February, a lawsuit brought by the Democratic Party was dismissed by a federal appeals court because of a "lack of legal standing"

This has been Trump's M.O for decades.....drag things out in the courts and hope the other side gives up. He could get away with his businesses because he usually had deeper pockets to pay his lawyers to drag things out. The little vendors and contractors he swindled dropped out when their legal fees were more than they can afford to keep it going.
    The MAGA maggots love the fact that he gets away with crimes. shitting on the Constitution is somehow "owning the Libs".
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

This will be his downfall, IMO.

The people he's dealing with now have deeper pockets, smarter lawyers and the will. Beyond that, he has institutional people who will simply hammer away at him for 8 hours a day, go home, then come back and do it again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    It's not just that people enable him, people idolize him. Even when he's clearly wrong, people that should know better will tie themselves in knots to accept his lies. That's why we're still dealing with "The Virus is a Democratic hoax, it'll go away in November" even after everything. Trump finding a doctor to go along with his madness about the virus being under control doesn't surprise me, it probably wasn't even that hard. I had to go to the hospital last week, and the nurse took time out of an exam to lecture me on the pandemic being drummed up by the media just to hurt the president and how they only wear a mask under threat of firing.
    God, I would not have gone back to that office

God, I would not have gone back to that office
    I'm trying to stay out of the hospital in general, I just wanted to point out that people from all walks are getting suckered into Trump's lies.
    I'm just not really shocked he threw away a doctor that disagreed with him, and found one that would tow the line.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I'm trying to stay out of the hospital in general, I just wanted to point out that people from all walks are getting suckered into Trump's lies.
    I'm just not really shocked he threw away a doctor that disagreed with him, and found one that would tow the line.
    Trump doesn’t give a shit about the truth. All he wants are sycophants who’ll kiss his ass and tell him what he wants to hear.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Federal Officers Deployed in Portland Didn’t Have Proper Training, D.H.S. Memo Said

PORTLAND, Ore. — The federal agents facing a growing backlash for their militarized approach to weeks of unrest in Portland were not specifically trained in riot control or mass demonstrations, an internal Department of Homeland Security memo warned this week.

The message, dated Thursday, was prepared by the agency for Chad F. Wolf, the acting secretary of Homeland Security, as he arrived in Portland to view the scene in person, according to a copy of the memo obtained by The New York Times. It listed federal buildings in the city and issues officers faced in protecting them.

The memo, seemingly anticipating future encounters with protesters in other cities as the department follows President Trump’s guidance to crack down on unrest, warns: “Moving forward, if this type of response is going to be the norm, specialized training and standardized equipment should be deployed to responding agencies.”

The tactical agents deployed by Homeland Security include officials from a group known as BORTAC, the Border Patrol’s equivalent of a S.W.A.T. team, a highly trained group that normally is tasked with investigating drug smuggling organizations, as opposed to protesters in cities.
    The pushback against the militarized federal deployment involving officers in fatigues and tactical gear has also extended to the streets, where the presence of those federal agents has rejuvenated a movement that had shown signs of finally slowing down after weeks of protest against police violence and militarization.

Hundreds continued to demonstrate after midnight on Saturday, playing music, holding shields, tearing down temporary fences and throwing fireworks at the county’s Justice Center.

Along with street medics, protesters also have the support of a snack van that offers free Gatorade and instant noodles, and a makeshift kitchen called Riot Ribs that cooks bratwursts and Beyond Meat sausage. Someone on Saturday had set up a stand selling T-shirts promoting racial equity and hand washing.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    *came back from some time away to discuss the Trump admin kidnapping protestors off the street in unmarked vans in my hometown. Saw people saying Trump isn’t that big a problem and pretending that bothsidesism is still a valid argument in defense of supporting the New American Fascist Movement (sorry, the GOP...). Walks on out again.*

Well, at least people aren’t relitigating the 2016 election still...
    Too bad reporters and medical staff will probably follow protestors next in the targets list if stuff keeps getting normalized.

I assume it's too late for SNL to cast Jeremy Renner as the douchebro governor?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Too bad reporters and medical staff will probably follow protestors next in the targets list if stuff keeps getting normalized.

I assume it's too late for SNL to cast Jeremy Renner as the douchebro governor?
    That’s not a bad bit of casting. The resemblance is certainly there.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!