Page 421 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3213714114174184194204214224234244254314715219211421 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,315 of 75153

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    With another poll giving Biden an outside the margin of error lead in Michigan, the 270towin web site has moved the state to "leaning Biden" which gives the Democrat more than 270 electoral votes for the first time this season.

56 still considered toss-ups.

I cannot remember that happening for Hillary at any point in 2016. It was always a "???" on nine swing states and her never being given enough "leaning" polls to be given over 270, solidly.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Astonishing Member

China's Vanishing Muslims: Undercover in the most Dystopian Place in the World

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

With another poll giving Biden an outside the margin of error lead in Michigan, the 270towin web site has moved the state to "leaning Biden" which gives the Democrat more than 270 electoral votes for the first time this season.

56 still considered toss-ups.

I am not comfortable with all these projections as I worry it might result in complacency. What's more, that doesn't take into account Republicans emptying the arsenal of dirty tricks to change the results in their favor. Democrats need to ignore this nonsense, act like Biden is DOWN ten or more points and fight like demons to help him win.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I am not comfortable with all these projections as I worry it might result in complacency. What's more, that doesn't take into account Republicans emptying the arsenal of dirty tricks to change the results in their favor. Democrats need to ignore this nonsense, act like Biden is DOWN ten or more points and fight like demons to help him win.
    It's not only about making sure Biden wins, it's that he wins so overwhelmingly that it's an unquestionable rejection of Donald Trump, and that there's no way some f***wit like Bill Barr can try to question the results of the election through some other chicanery.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's not only about making sure Biden wins, it's that he wins so overwhelmingly that it's an unquestionable rejection of Donald Trump, and that there's no way some f***wit like Bill Barr can try to question the results of the election through some other chicanery.
    I'm all for that, problem is, that'll lead Trump to scream bloody murder that the election was rigged if he gets blown out like a Division-3 football team playing Alabama. Remember, with a SDNY trial hovering over his head and his freedom literally on the line, a desperate Trump will say anything to win and stay in office.

Astonishing Member

I'm all for that, problem is, that'll lead Trump to scream bloody murder that the election was rigged if he gets blown out like a Division-3 football team playing Alabama. Remember, with a SDNY trial hovering over his head and his freedom literally on the line, a desperate Trump will say anything to win and stay in office.
    He'll do that anyway when he loses.

In 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, as well as 2019, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of David Barton, one of the co-authors of the 2012 and 2016 GOP Platforms, and a conservative historian/exposed fraud. That's right, an Evangelical Republican who teaches history from an alternative timeline that never existed was allowed to lead a group prayer at the 2012 Republican National Convention, and then go in and be one of the bigger influences upon writing the party platform. This, in spite of the fact that he wrote "The Jefferson Lies", a book that falsely claimed Thomas Jefferson intended America to be a Christian nation and was opposed to gay rights. for example. It was such a load of bunk that less than three months after it was released, his publisher had it yanked from bookstores around the country. But none of this has stopped the GOP Fundamentalists from continuing to disseminate whatever falsehoods Barton writes amongst their members, when they should have lanced him like a boil from their ranks before he did further damage to their reputation the past few years of, y'know, rejecting facts. The conservative media has folks like Glenn Beck and the Family Research Council still proudly welcome David Barton as a guest, not just swallowing the tripe he serves up, but lying on his behalf and claiming he has scholarly credentials he doesn't actually have. I mean, it might seem plausible to hear our Founding Fathers were opposed to the theory of evolution, because it was a radical concept when Charles Darwin presented it to folks... but the Founding Fathers were sort of dead by the time Darwin was writing about evolution. (If you believe Barton, though, the theory has been around since 500 B.C.)

We noted, though, that David Barton doesn't just present an alternate history of America... he's apparently living in an alternate reality of the present, where military chaplains are forced to perform gay marriages against their will, that gays are being allowed to "evangelize" to children in schools, that the Obergefell v. Hodges ruling also legalized pedophilia and would outlaw the Bible, that the average American household on welfare gets $61,000 a year (far, far less, actually), that the Bible forbids all government debt and says we will never be able to make an AIDS vaccine (missed that passage, myself), that President Obama aids the Muslim Brotherhood, that Ruth Bader Ginsberg can be impeached for falling asleep during the State of the Union Address (Gee, if Rep. Joe Wilson didn't get anything more than admonished for the crap he pulled...), that the concept of retirement from employment is a "Pagan Concept"... the nuclear treaty between the United States on Iran, claiming that it would force the United States to fight Israel, and bring about "God's Wrath". In February 2016 Barton went on Glenn Beck's show (again) to talk about Black History Month, and asks why whites don't get more recognition for their part in it, because "Blacks were not able to free themselves, whites did" or that “being a True Christian” is a surefire way to avoid getting AIDS, which you get if you “violate God’s standards of sexuality”. (Tell that to Ryan White’s mother, you ***hole.)

Nothing is beyond this man’s notice to be manipulated for ideological purposes… in April 2016, after the release of Disney’s Zootopia, he suggested Disney movies feature anthropomorphized animal characters is an attempt to bring back pagan Gods, because "If you look back at the time of the Bible, a lot of the idols back then were actually animal. Dagon was the fish God…I love Disney, I’ve got all of the c ollections of Disney, but Disney’s the first one to make animals seem human, and that’s what animation does. Bambi seems human, "Lady and the Tramp," a nice romantic dinner for dogs over at an Italian restaurant—I don’t think so—"Beauty and the Beast." And I love these stories but what they do is they elevate animals to mankind’s status ... The Bible tells us that you are to be kind to your animals but you don't worship your animals, you don't make a Dagon god out of them and that's what we've now done."

In our 2017 review of Barton’s activities, we noted that he started claiming that the Founding Fathers put two clauses in the Declaration of Independence that condemned slavery (which is amazing considering all of the Southern delegates OWNED SLAVES), that during World War II, the United States warned Japan which cities we were going to drop atomic bombs on (which of course, is not actually what happened because that bomb was, y’know, TOP SECRET until it was dropped), that “Dixiecrat” Strom Thurmond switched parties because he “had a change of heart on race issues” (Thurmond was opposed to integration, and Democratic President Lyndon Johnson’s opposition to segregation was the reason Thurmond left the Democratic Party), and in April 2017, talked about visiting historical sites of the Holocaust, and how those same evils are manifesting today to assist the “homosexual lifestyle”, before claiming that the Nazis were also pagans (Hint: They were mostly Protestant, some Catholic). As if David Barton being a passionate Donald Trump supporter in spite of him boasting about sexual assault wasn’t enough to make him full of s*** on his supposed Christian morality, he yet again breaks the fifth Commandment to defend a sexual predator, falsely claiming that Bill O’Reilly was fired from Fox News for “complimenting a woman’s hair”, which really undersells the long, sordid history of reports from multiple accusers of O’Reilly making unwanted advances towards them, making grotesque sexual comments at them, and even calling some employees while apparently masturbating. Barton blames rising health care costs on homosexuals, complained in an interview with E.W. Jackson that “white people don’t get enough credit for ending slavery”, and whines that the separation of church and state doesn’t exempt anyone who goes to church from having to pay taxes. Oh, and in 2018, David Barton claimed he has seen nothing that would “indicate a lack of good morals” from anyone in the Trump administration. Y’know, other than the white nationalists who want to lock children in cages or all the people who resigned in disgrace for corruption.

Barton spent most of 2018 and 2019 continuing his revisionist history, homophobia, and of course, now that the electorate is turning away from right-wing Evangelical fascism, paranoid rants about voter fraud carried out by Democrats. Perhaps his worst moment of that stretch was in April of 2019 when he started spreading anti-vaccination conspiracy theories about there being pieces of aborted fetuses in vaccines. Still, he also referred to the Equality Act as “the greatest threat to religious liberty and free exercise of religion ever in American history”, completely misinterpreted the Madison v. Marbury Supreme Court ruling, and commended Donald Trump on his “biblical presidency”, so…

What we're getting at is David Barton needs to be put in a goddamned rubber room and the worst part is his brand of insanity is contagious, as he actively promotes it as reality to Evangelicals in and around government. If you're still not convinced he's nuttier than a jar of Planters (How could you not be, at this point already?), we have another year of David Barton baying at the moon to present, and would like to thank the website Right Wing Watch for keeping a close eye on him.

We’ll spare you all his lunacy, and just give you his three dumbest moments from the past 12 months:

And we again, remind our readers that David Barton, in spite of being factually wrong more often than correct on the topic he claims to be an expert on, history, is widely respected by Republican leaders, including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, and that he is still not just allowed to help write the Republican Party Platform every four years, but can boast that his influence in the room can make it what he considers “the most biblically-friendly GOP Platform he’s ever seen”.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Either way we know if Trump does lose (which I hope he does) , he won't accept it and challenge it for sure. He's laid the ground work for it. He's gonna do this regardless. Its why he's not sweating anything really. In his mind , "Even if I lose , I'll win. I'll tie it up so long and with courts leaning my way I'll get another term !"
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Either way we know if Trump does lose (which I hope he does) , he won't accept it and challenge it for sure. He's laid the ground work for it. He's gonna do this regardless. Its why he's not sweating anything really. In his mind , "Even if I lose , I'll win. I'll tie it up so long and with courts leaning my way I'll get another term !"
    We really need RGB to stay on the court at least until January 2021.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

You mean with other people?

I'd say Elizabeth Warren is an example. She was a member of the homophobic, racist death cult well into her 40s until she did a 180.

Not every Republican is not part of this cult. You can't paint them (or any of us) with a broad brush. There are other reasons to be a Republican, there are many reasons to be a Democrat, or an Independent, or whatever.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Why conservative justices are more likely to defect

The end of a Supreme Court term almost always sees one or more conservative justices vote to hand the liberal justices a narrow but important victory. In case after case, conservative swing justices appear irresistibly drawn to join the liberals.

So it went this year. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. defected to strike down admitting-privileges regulations for abortion providers and keep in place protection for immigrants brought to this country as children. The chief justice and Justice Neil M. Gorsuch joined their liberal colleagues to create new anti-discrimination prohibitions for sexual orientation and gender identity.

This is a familiar pattern. Last term, the chief justice dealt the administration a significant loss by frustrating its plans to add a citizenship question to the census. In the longer run, a string of 10 GOP appointments of new justices since 1973, compared to a mere four Democratic appointees, has produced little progress toward the central conservative goal of overturning Roe v. Wade, thanks in part to a series of dramatic defections from supposedly solid conservatives.
    There is a third theory that has more explanatory force: The justices are indeed acting faithfully to law, but not by enforcing the written Constitution and laws. Rather what they enforce is our real, unwritten constitution, a set of understandings that underlies and shapes our interpretation of the law. Justices interpret open-ended provisions (“due process of law”) in light of this unwritten constitution. And because the background small-c constitution embodies a liberal order, it is unsurprising that their decisions do as well.

What are the principles underlying our unwritten constitution? It is best understood as a sociopolitical order that privileges a particular set of commitments held passionately by educated urban professionals and what Joel Kotkin and Fred Siegel have termed “gentry liberals.” Among these, and relevant to the current term, are ensuring a high rate of immigration, encouraged by policies against full enforcement of the law, and protecting sexual expression and liberty, including contraception, abortion and unconstrained expression of sexual preference and gender identity. These beliefs are not spelled out explicitly in law, yet they exert a gravitational force that powerfully influences the justices’ interpretations.

These unwritten norms allow the expression of dissenting views, but only as dissenting views. They thus exert the most force on justices who are otherwise least convinced of the conservative position in a given case. Hence the most conservative justices rarely defect. But in critical cases, involving central commitments of the unwritten constitution, it is highly likely that one or more of the middling conservative justices will do so.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Which is why Trump won’t take the coward’s way out by resigning and letting Mike Pence pardon him. But then, Trump probably thinks that if he did, Pence might say “**** you” and leave him out to dry. That would be a delicious scenario.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Which is why Trump won’t take the coward’s way out by resigning and letting Mike Pence pardon him. But then, Trump probably thinks that if he did, Pence might say “**** you” and leave him out to dry. That would be a delicious scenario.
    I still think there is a chance he will declare a state of emergency, have Eric Prince's mercs invade states to keep them from holding an election in November and the GOP in the Senate will say they are very concerned but there are two sides to every story.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

What I hope is when Trump loses (and I agree that we must fight for Biden every step of the way) the few thousand of ammosexual supporters that take to the streets to protest his loss, and demand the "rigged election" be overturned, are NOT taken seriously by the media as if they are more than a tiny minority of wackos.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!