Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I agree that both sides aren't the same, the right clearly has more power than the left. So I don't support extreme policies or extreme people that go against my beliefs so I don't vote. I have more of a mixture of right and left beliefs. But I do have plenty "wrong" beliefs because of my religion. I don't want to hurt anyone for my religious beliefs, but I wouldn't want people to hurt themselves either. I believe you guys are truly doing what you think is right, even if I disagree a lot. Yet, you're already suggesting I need to have empathy, like I'm sort of sociopath.

I guess with how often terms like nazi and white supremacist is thrown around, I only see it as a matter of time before someone like me is on the chopping block and it's okay to commit violence against me for having the wrong beliefs. I could re-word this entire post and make it applicable when talking to some right-wing people. Terms like pedophile and nazi are technically dehumanizing terms determined to make out targets as anything but human, so really as long as that keeps happening, the only way I can see things ending up is with violence being more and more acceptable, which technically affects anyone.
    Well said. The dehumanization of political opponents can lead in a dangerous direction, especially with polarization that leads to many Americans barely interacting with anyone who has different views.

Empathy is important, although it does seem that people calling for it often aren't nice to the people they disagree with. It's something they insist on for some of the people they see as being on their side.

I will note that it's not clear the right has more power. Democrats have the presidency, and half of Congress. They have control of plenty of state governments, and dominate city governments. The left does also have a greater presence in academia, the media, and the larger culture.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The White House and GOP Have reached an agreement on the debt ceiling.
    Excellent.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Well said. The dehumanization of political opponents can lead in a dangerous direction, especially with polarization that leads to many Americans barely interacting with anyone who has different views.
    That you can make this statement while supporting a Republican party that does exactly that to LGBT citizens is -- par for course in this discussion.

People are currently being persecuted and killed by extremists as a result of right-wing rhetoric that dehumanizes "minorities" as less than others.

Republicans aren't being "dehumanized" -- they are being called out for their behaviors and their policies with facts and evidence.

No one is obligated to "be nice" when pointing out the truth about Republican behaviors that are leading to discrimination against and the death of American citizens.

It is not "both sides" engaging in this kind of discriminatory and violent behavior -- it is clearly primarily a right wing issue.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-27-2023 at 07:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Most people won't have any issue when you tell us your religion says "you must.". Those same people won't accept you telling us that your religion says "we must.". This is the main underlying issue with the board's overall hostility towards many of the politicians who talk loudly about God, almost all of them are willing to pass laws forcing us to live according to their faith.
    One striking detail that I find as a Christian about political Evangelicals is how much the type of practices they want to proactive are largely and almost exclusively about “you other guys must” while their approach to their own behavior is more “…well, I don’t think have I to do that as a Christian, so I’ll do it’s exact opposite because this other idol of mine demands it, and if I screw up, God will forgive me while he’d damn you.”

In particular, a large subset of political Evangelicals would be angered at a sermon over “Love your neighbor as yourself” if you applied it to their pet persecution projects, and would most definitely lose their **** if you did one over “live by the sword, die by the sword” applying to the country’s obsession with guns, or to “render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s” if you pointed out how that would make paying taxes a Christian virtue - or even more so if the tale of the poor woman giving more than the rich man because of percentage lost was used to argue for the rising income tax.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Biden, McCarthy reach ‘agreement in principle’ to raise debt ceiling as default looms
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    One striking detail that I find as a Christian about political Evangelicals is how much the type of practices they want to proactive are largely and almost exclusively about “you other guys must” while their approach to their own behavior is more “…well, I don’t think have I to do that as a Christian, so I’ll do it’s exact opposite because this other idol of mine demands it, and if I screw up, God will forgive me while he’d damn you.”

In particular, a large subset of political Evangelicals would be angered at a sermon over “Love your neighbor as yourself” if you applied it to their pet persecution projects, and would most definitely lose their **** if you did one over “live by the sword, die by the sword” applying to the country’s obsession with guns, or to “render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s” if you pointed out how that would make paying taxes a Christian virtue - or even more so if the tale of the poor woman giving more than the rich man because of percentage lost was used to argue for the rising income tax.
    If Jesus was to come back like they keep saying he will, this mob would have him up on that plank of wood again by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    If Jesus was to come back like they keep saying he will, this mob would have him up on that plank of wood again by the end of the week.
    I've said the same. They wouldn't pull up a convenient stone to listen to the Sermon on the Mount, they'd be running to Pontius Pilate demanding crucifixion YESTERDAY.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I can give first-hand testimony that this is true. I have more empathy now for people who are different than me, and who have different lived experiences than me than I used to have, because I started practicing it.
    Having previously described empathy as a muscle based on the way that we know it deteriorates in the wealthy and privileged, I am feeling very smug about myself right now to have someone trained and professional assert that, 'coz I had no idea that metaphor was actually used!

*smug smug smug*

Hey, Negative. I think you're meaning well, but I think you need to examine some of your priors, and that's fine. We all do. It's good that you're here and asking questions.

You know, everyone here would be so much happier if you do what I do whenever Mets posts. Namely, scroll past and ignore it.

From NBC.com:
    McCarthy has said in recent days he'll give members 72 hours to review the text before holding a floor vote. And Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, has threatened to block a speedy vote in the Senate if he isn't satisfied with the terms of the deal, meaning it could take days for the chamber to jump through procedural hoops before a vote.
    So there are two things to worry about here. The first is Mike Lee (though I think McConnell will pull him in line, because not even he wants the US to default). The second, and more worrisome for me, is if McCarthy can actually get the votes in the House. There are enough idiot Republicans like Boebert and Greene that seem to be happy to drive our economy off the cliff to own the libs.

An amusing thought, though, is if McCarthy gets the votes, will MTG and the other crazies vote McCarthy out of the Speakership?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I'm not one to say that you should believe everything you read, my history would make that a bald-faced lie. That doesn't mean you should ignore everything you see and hear either. Apply critical thinking skills, look at context, look at other articles put out by individual reporters when you are in doubt, and you can usually spot biases one way or another. To a certain extent, facts are always key - if it happened/was said on the record/was filmed it's far more likely to be real when posted by more reliable sources. Watch for signs of editing to take context away and searching for the opposing views can reveal context that one side doesn't want to you to see. Factcheckers are usually reliant on their reputation and so you can find ones that are more correct than 'right' when you are in doubt, and if not available right away a 'wait-and-see' response can be taken.

If you are still genuinely unsure of something it's not wrong to admit it and seek help finding information or clarification on something you've found, and I (among others) respect trying to solve your ignorance rather than throw up your hands in defeat because something seems nonsensical, as well as questioning the veracity of what you're shown. I've also been fooled before and I will admit it gladly when pointed out, because otherwise I'd be going around spreading misinformation and having that affect my judgement in other cases.

If you have issues with some things you believe are extreme positions or people on the left I (and others I'm sure) would like to help you understand them from another point of view that you might not have considered. As long as you are debating in good faith and agree to disagree in situations where it can legitimately apply (I will give examples of where it can't if asked) I don't see much nastiness getting involved even if we disagree.
    When I said extreme policies I was mainly thinking of the right to establish some common ground. I mainly only hear about right-wing cause from my online perspective everything seems more liberal, hence my concerns. As for disagreeing, I'm not going to reveal everything I believe on a public place like this. But really unfortunately we disagree on fundamental things and there's no changing that. I don't know what that makes us, but I don't want to be enemies with my fellow man. In my eyes, you're free to vote and convince people to believe how you believe and you can debate/call out my beliefs if you think they're harmful.

And as for articles, I consider most things people saying are hyperbolic, even things in this thread. It doesn't seem like anyone reads anything beyond headlines anymore. I don't really wanna debate any of that though cause I doubt I'll get anywhere, and I already have five people each responding to my posts.

If you walk down the street in many parts of the United States as an LGBTQ person right now, you literally have a target on your back. Your physical safety, and possibly your actual life, is in real and present danger. There is no part of the most God-crazy country in the western world where the same thing holds true for a Christian person. Or do you honestly and sincerely believe otherwise?
    No, I do not believe I'm going to be attacked on the street, it's hard to imagine anyone being a victim of a hate crime in my community. In truth I'll admit I hide my beliefs from my friends and social media for fear of backlash, and yes I am aware of the irony. I'm just unsure of the future that is to come because it seems plain to see my views are quickly becoming outdated. I think your views are going to win.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess all this talk has made me come to a decision. I did read and hopefully, tried to consider everyone's posts. I will try to worry less about myself and my views and more about the people around me. I want to go against type, and show people that my beliefs do not mean I want to hurt or destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Your friend might be right. Qpublicans circle the wagons to protect one of their own better than any group, so for the GQP in Texas of all places to let Paxton twist in the wind means there’s a second shoe that’s gonna drop somewhere down the road, and it doesn’t figure to be pleasant.
    I'll be sure to let him know, as he's paying more attention to TX politics than I am right now. Not only has this Paxton thing hit me out of left field with the announcement earlier this week, but the fact that in TEXAS they bucked the trend of GoP defending their worst out of partisanship . . . I hope they don't mess up this good will I'm feeling towards Texas republicans by folding to political pressure in the senate trial like their federal counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So you won't watch the John Oliver video because a few of his points will be irrelevant? Would you prefer we transcribe the relevant points for you sir? Do you still have someone cut up your food for you, too?
    "Where's the evidence that he's as bad as you say?"

*actual evidence is posted*

"Yeah, not that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, not at all. Our posts might have commentary and venting, but the links and articles provided are facts not venting. You could ignore what we say about the articles without ignoring the articles. My venting over them does not invalidate the facts - he has passed these laws targeting the LGBTQ community, he has passed legislation to stifle the press from being able to investigate him and report on him, he has brought in cops with disturbing histories and criminal records of their own, he has said he intends to pardon some of the Jan 6 traitors, he has changed the law to remain in power while going out to campaign as president. These are all inarguable examples of where he as a politician has crossed the line into extremism. We're not talking about things that are vague, these are all the specifics.
    WBE's yearly updates on DeSantis with many links to news reports, John Oliver's Vid, several other videos and links to reports ranging from religious objections to ones detailing specific bad cops bribed to move to Florida, and all posted/reposted in the last 2 days. Instead of reading or watching any of it, he just endlessly repeats requests for more evidence while complaining that we didn't give him the other evidence in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You just beat me to that. I’d call that good news.
    This is a good sign, but until it's signed on Biden's desk I'm not fully relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Pointing out what people should actually do when they are doing something wrong rarely works out on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Having previously described empathy as a muscle based on the way that we know it deteriorates in the wealthy and privileged, I am feeling very smug about myself right now to have someone trained and professional assert that, 'coz I had no idea that metaphor was actually used!

*smug smug smug*

Hey, Negative. I think you're meaning well, but I think you need to examine some of your priors, and that's fine. We all do. It's good that you're here and asking questions.
    It's always good to find out that something you thought up on your own turns out not only to be correct but taught in schools! I'm also hoping that negative feels comfortable enough to talk with us about any issues he has.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    You know, everyone here would be so much happier if you do what I do whenever Mets posts. Namely, scroll past and ignore it.
    I probably should at this point, the point has been gotten across to everyone but Mets it seems.

From NBC.com:

So there are two things to worry about here. The first is Mike Lee (though I think McConnell will pull him in line, because not even he wants the US to default). The second, and more worrisome for me, is if McCarthy can actually get the votes in the House. There are enough idiot Republicans like Boebert and Greene that seem to be happy to drive our economy off the cliff to own the libs.

An amusing thought, though, is if McCarthy gets the votes, will MTG and the other crazies vote McCarthy out of the Speakership?
    The extremists messing things up for the rest of us is a constant issue, impacting many situations and many more people. From minor cases like airport security to mass killings, extremism is not something to be embraced.

I think the only thing he really stressed about during his time occupying the Oval Office was his poll numbers.
    Bad hair days, poor rounds of golf, constantly talking to lawyers, having to get out of bed…

It’s an incredibly tough life.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Bad hair days, poor rounds of golf, constantly talking to lawyers, having to get out of bed…

It’s an incredibly tough life.
    People constantly telling you this or that is unconstitutional or breaks a very important amendment or yes is still illegal even for the president...

I can see how that would be stressful.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

At least 3 people killed and 5 people wounded in shooting at motorcycle rally in Red River, New Mexico

Another mass shooting.

“All the individuals involved were members of biker gangs,” Calhoun told CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I agree that both sides aren't the same, the right clearly has more power than the left. So I don't support extreme policies or extreme people that go against my beliefs so I don't vote. I have more of a mixture of right and left beliefs. But I do have plenty "wrong" beliefs because of my religion. I don't want to hurt anyone for my religious beliefs, but I wouldn't want people to hurt themselves either. I believe you guys are truly doing what you think is right, even if I disagree a lot. Yet, you're already suggesting I need to have empathy, like I'm sort of sociopath.

I guess with how often terms like nazi and white supremacist is thrown around, I only see it as a matter of time before someone like me is on the chopping block and it's okay to commit violence against me for having the wrong beliefs. I could re-word this entire post and make it applicable when talking to some right-wing people. Terms like pedophile and nazi are technically dehumanizing terms determined to make out targets as anything but human, so really as long as that keeps happening, the only way I can see things ending up is with violence being more and more acceptable, which technically affects anyone.
    Hey, I didn't say you were a sociopath. I merely suggested that you might be able to do better in terms of empathy, rather than indifference to people dying.

I'm setting the bar low. Can you do better than that, or when challenged to, are you going to be offended that perhaps you have room for improvement?

Because if you are religious, as you volunteered, you know that man was not created as a finished product when it comes to good & evil. We have free will, and when choices come up, you gotta choose the good one.

If one is a believer in the actual religion, rather than the Republican version of Jesus, of course.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Probably not that long. Since they all think Jesus is white, when there's a brown skinned Jesus speaking a language other than English, the morons wouldn't need more than a few hours before they shot him for being different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    WBE's yearly updates on DeSantis with many links to news reports, John Oliver's Vid, several other videos and links to reports ranging from religious objections to ones detailing specific bad cops bribed to move to Florida, and all posted/reposted in the last 2 days. Instead of reading or watching any of it, he just endlessly repeats requests for more evidence while complaining that we didn't give him the other evidence in the right way.
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I don't know how that metaphor applies to jackasses.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.