Page 436 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 3363864264324334344354364374384394404464865369361436 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,540 of 75153
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Tragic, but yet so avoidable. The governor of Florida needs to step down, he had plenty of time to prepare when New York lite up, but he chose not to shut down the bars, beaches, and restaurants, or advise face masks and precautions. Idiocy and incompetence of the greatest magnitude, the buck stops with him.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7196622/f...rus-epicentre/
    A Republican? Step down from whatever position he’s in? My friend, you have a far better chance of enjoying a three-way with Beyoncé and Giselle Bundchen than seeing DeSantis resign. In his eyes, he’s done nothing wrong, every move he made was spot on right and it was everyone else who screwed up.

Disgusting. He has now announced that he is planning to send federal troops into Chicago, which I fear has the potentiality of turning that city into warzone after the George Floyd murder.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/22/trump-...amid-violence/

Trump has a disturbing history with views when it comes to race, violence and law and order dating back to the Central Park 5 case, to his dark "Law & Order" speech at the Republican convection.

He is incapable of bringing the nation together, and appears to be deliberately dividing the nation for re-election purposes, which makes him unfit to be President.
    Trump was never interested in uniting the nation from jump. He’s used fear and hate of anyone and everyone who wasn’t white to rally small minded bigots around him and build his base that’s unfailingly loyal to him, not the GOP, which is why Republicans look the other way and say nothing when Trump does all sorts of crazy ****, they fear Trump’s followers, not Trump himself.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Thing is, the GOP clearly doesn't care about fitness. All the many, many, many, MANY ways Trump is unfit were pointed out well before he got elected. Republicans didnt care then, and they wont care now. They only care about hoarding resources, drinking sweet liberal tears, oppressing women and LGBT+ folks and people of color, all while manipulating poor whites into supporting them blindly by appealing to fear, institutional racism and general bigotry, and religious fervor/ignorance.

The entire world has known for DECADES that Trump is unfit to be president. And yet, here we are.
    Yes well, the Republican Party has been complicit in willing to go along with Trump's bigotry and racism to retain power, I cannot ague against that.

I would argue that the Republican Party has had a hostile take over from the Patrick Buchanan wing of the party, that's been pretty much marginalized throughout my lifetime, until it came to life under the shadow of right wing populism.

I'm more concerned about the fabric of nation and political extremism. Sending in federal troops using strong arm tactics to sweep people off the streets and put them in vans is only going to exasperate the situation, and create more radicals on the left, and militia men on the right. The fact that 40% of Republican voters think the U.S. is heading to a civil war and gun and ammunition shops are spiking through the roof is not a sign of a healthy society.

All the current Presidents Republican or Democrat, would have past legislation, and would have least attempted to mend the wound opened by George Floyd, but Trump appears to be exploiting it for re-election gains.

From the outset, this has been his strategy alongside his surrogates like Steve Bannon. They view the left as the enemy and have passed legislation that inflames and agitates left wing activism, so they can get the support of the general public by saying "Look, see these hoodlums" . When you view your political adversaries as enemies of the nation you enter into political extremist territory, and this is why he is unfit as President, and this is why he has to go.

Yes well, the Republican Party has been complicit in willing to go along with Trump's bigotry and racism to retain power, I cannot ague against that.

I would argue that the Republican Party has had a hostile take over from the Patrick Buchanan wing of the party, that's been pretty much marginalized throughout my lifetime, until it came to life under the shadow of right wing populism.

I'm more concerned about the fabric of nation and political extremism. Sending in federal troops using strong arm tactics to sweep people off the streets and put them in vans is only going to exasperate the situation, and create more radicals on the left, and militia men on the right. The fact that 40% of Republican voters think the U.S. is heading to a civil war and gun and ammunition shops are spiking through the roof is not a sign of a healthy society.

All the current Presidents Republican or Democrat, would have past legislation, and would have least attempted to mend the wound opened by George Floyd, but Trump appears to be exploiting it for re-election gains.

From the outset, this has been his strategy alongside his surrogates like Steve Bannon. They view the left as the enemy and have passed legislation that inflames and agitates left wing activism, so they can get the support of the general public by saying "Look, see these hoodlums" . When you view your political adversaries as enemies of the nation you enter into political extremist territory, and this is why he is unfit as President, and this is why he has to go.
    But that's just it.

It wasn't a secret coup or hostile takeover. What the Republican party is now is a DIRECT result of the Southern Strategy. In the 70's, the Republican Party leadership openly and publicly embraced Christian fundamentalism (at one point called the 'Moral Majority', later known simply as the 'Religious Right') and siphoned the Dixiecrats - the last remaining openly racist Democratic southern politicians, like Strom Thurmond - into their fold. The idea was to form for the GOP a solid, unbreakable base among white, religious voters with no love for mixing races and a lot of money, a position 70s Republican operatives (like Darth Cheney, who was involved with both Nixon AND Reagan before becoming vice president and aiming a mental midget with delusions of impressing Poppy at Iraq and Afghanistan instead of Saudi Arabia...). The modern Republican party bears ZERO resemblance to the party they PRETEND they still were, the party of Lincoln. They serve three interests and three interests only: wealthy donors, white supremacists, and religious extremists.

Anyone who doesnt fall under those categories and thinks that the GOP cares about them is wrong, and has been wrong since the 70's. And they have been supporting the push towards fascism that we are seeing the results of with every vote and donation in favor of the party. The sooner the non-monstrous GOPers realize this and flee, the sooner the abomination that is devouring us all alive will fall.

I dont have an issue with conservatives. It's why I'm going to hold my nose and vote for whoever blue is this year. I expect them to be conservative in a classical sense and move the Overton Window back to the left, slightly, away from 'Nazi2.0' and back towards 'we may not agree, but at least we're all qualified to be here...', not this...horror show we're all trapped in right now.
    Last edited by zinderel; 07-22-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A Republican? Step down from whatever position he’s in? My friend, you have a far better chance of enjoying a three-way with Beyoncé and Giselle Bundchen than seeing DeSantis resign. In his eyes, he’s done nothing wrong, every move he made was spot on right and it was everyone else who screwed up.
    Beyonce and Giselle Bundchen...err I would like to see that so I do hope Desantis resigns. Unfortuantely you are right, but both the governor of Florida and Texas, and especially the Lieutenant Governor of Texas have to be brutally punished at the polls for their incompetence that borders on criminal negligence.

Finally, Trump has to go for his completely incompetent response in your country. Criticizing the governor of Michigan for her shutdown by supporting right wing militiamen and anti COVID rallies in her state, pedalling junk science, and undermining Dr. Fauci your country's top infectious disease expert. The TOP EXPERT in your country!!! You are the world's greatest superpower, you have all the best scientists and technicians in the world, and you have a President who is ignoring the science!!!

This anti scientific wackledoodle conspiracy stuff circulating in your country has to stop!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7169518/c...ty-death-hoax/

It's also a particularly ineffective message to blame the challenger for things going on while someone else is President.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Here you go Mets.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ster-says.html

And here they are beating clearly identified medics who were trying to help someone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oregon/comm...rying_to_help/

Waiting for your imaginary story about What If a Democrat was behind this.

Don't expect you to be horrified by it at all.
    I think it's unfortunate, but well short of your description of Gestapo tactics.

Bad stuff happens when protesters throw tear gas.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Especially when those protestors got the tear gas from over-zealous, militarized police who see no problem using toxic chemicals on peaceful protesters. Or are we saying that protestors are brewing up military grade tear gas in their basements, now too?

Darn those wacky protestors for fighting back! Why cant they take a quiet beating and slink back to their mommies' basements, like the good old days!?

Oh....what's that? Their moms are ALSO protesting and getting gassed and assaulted by bastards in uniform?

Huh...
    Last edited by zinderel; 07-22-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Mighty Member

It's also a particularly ineffective message to blame the challenger for things going on while someone else is President.

I think it's unfortunate, but well short of your description of Gestapo tactics.

Tear gas? Now I know that stuff is practically complimentary for just about every police armory, but since when does your average protesting joe schmo have ready access to such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Tear gas? Now I know that stuff is practically complimentary for just about every police armory, but since when does your average protesting joe schmo have ready access to such a thing?
    The only protestors 'using tear gas against police' that _I_ have seen are the ones who pick up the canister the police used on them FIRST and throw it back at the piggies to give them a small taste of their own medicine.

Which I call fair game.

After all, if those cops weren't doing anything wrong, they wouldn't get their own chemical weapons tossed back at them.
    Last edited by zinderel; 07-22-2020 at 04:20 PM.

OMG Mets! Not only are you not offended by what is going on in Portland, you are actually defending it! Have you no sense of decency?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

The only protestors 'using tear gas against police' that _I_ have seen are the ones who pick up the canister the police used FIRST and throwing it back at the piggies. Which I call fair game.
    Ah, I see. Color me surprised if that's a common mulligan (for the police, anyways) during such stand-offs.

Mighty Member

But that's just it.

It wasn't a secret coup or hostile takeover. What the Republican party is now is a DIRECT result of the Southern Strategy. In the 70's, the Republican Party leadership openly and publicly embraced Christian fundamentalism (at one point called the 'Moral Majority', later known simply as the 'Religious Right') and siphoned the Dixiecrats - the last remaining openly racist Democratic southern politicians, like Strom Thurmond - into their fold. The idea was to form for the GOP a solid, unbreakable base among white, religious voters with no love for mixing races and a lot of money, a position 70s Republican operatives (like Darth Cheney, who was involved with both Nixon AND Reagan before becoming vice president and aiming a mental midget with delusions of impressing Poppy at Iraq and Afghanistan instead of Saudi Arabia...). The modern Republican party bears ZERO resemblance to the party they PRETEND they still were, the party of Lincoln. They serve three interests and three interests only: wealthy donors, white supremacists, and religious extremists.

Anyone who doesnt fall under those categories and thinks that the GOP cares about them is wrong, and has been wrong since the 70's. And they have been supporting the push towards fascism that we are seeing the results of with every vote and donation in favor of the party. The sooner the non-monstrous GOPers realize this and flee, the sooner the abomination that is devouring us all alive will fall.

I dont have an issue with conservatives. It's why I'm going to hold my nose and vote for whoever blue is this year. I expect them to be conservative in a classical sense, not this...horror show we're all trapped in right now.
    Right, well I agree with you on the Southern strategy, Nixon converted the Dixiecrats to Republicans to siphon of the George Wallace votes in 1968, and it is clear that Trump is trying to exasperate a culture war through a law and order campaign that has shades of Nixon. (The interesting thing about the 68 election is that George Wallace also did tremendously well amongst blue collar whites in the North East and mid West, perhaps an ominous sign of things to come in 2016?)

It should be noted that the Republican Party has traditionally garnered a large percentage of Hispanic vote from Reagan onwards, particularly in 2004, when Bush gathered 40 to 44% of their vote to ensure re-election, which is no easy task amongst a lower income group, but after the 2012 election loss, two options were available. Continue to try to increase the Hispanic vote, or Trump's path of increasing the white vote by appealing to dispossessed whites in the rust belt, which alas... brings us today.

At any rate, I don't forsee Trump winning again in the fall, he's too far to the right. Before 2016, Trump had the utopia card advantage of offering a vision different from Clinton/Bush because the Pat Buchanan/Ross Perot wing of the party hadn't had any considerable influence since the Nixon era. Now that people have had a taste of the Kool Aid, I'm pretty sure that the general public just wants to return to normalacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Ah, I see. Color me surprised if that's a common mulligan (for the police, anyways) during such stand-offs.
    At May Day in Portland, a few years back, the police started firing concussion and tear gas rounds into a peaceful crowd who HAD A PERMIT TO MARCH because someone dropped a dollar store smoke pellet, and they claimed it was a 'molotov'. Cops lie to justify brutality. And the 'good cops' are silent because speaking up will get them blackballed or murdered.

ACAB. Now, more than ever. I hope the protest, and yes the riots, keep going, and I hope they get worse and force the government to make necessary changes. #AmericanSpring2020
    Last edited by zinderel; 07-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Mighty Member

ACAB. Now, more than ever. I hope the protest, and yes the riots, keep going, and I hope they get worse and force the government to make necessary changes. #AmericanSpring2020
    That part in bold for me REALLY depends on how much (or little) either faction gives a **** about who or what ends up as collateral damage.

Because your news sources may be limited.
    Only thing I'm seeing limited is someone's empathy and humanity.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

https://nypost.com/2020/07/21/joe-bi...-vp-shortlist/

I hear Joe Biden is going to announce his running mate on August 1. That's ten days from now. But he needs to seriously consider his choices carefully. Choosing a veep is like a space rocket launch. The period of time from the rocket's ignition until the capsule reaches the orbit was twelve minutes of violent kinetic energy. That is the dangerous part. But once the vehicle was out of earth's atmosphere, it was safe. A successful space launch requires years of meticulous preparation and careful planning, stress-testing the quality of the rocket, running through computer simulations and considering every potential pitfall. John McCain had done none of that with Palin. That is why McCain-Palin ticket lost,